PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gunslinger Bolt Ace rules question

skypse
2014-12-17, 09:13 AM
Bolt Ace archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo---gunslinger-archetypes/bolt-ace)

As you can see in the above link, the specific archetype does NOT change the Gunsmith class feature of the regular Gunslinger, while it sure focuses on the use of crossbows instead of firearms. I am confused on why this is happening. From what I understand, the Bolt Ace still gets Gunsmithing as a free feat on level 1, AND picks an early firearm that since his archetype is focused on crossbows, he can sell for 4xd10 gold. Isn't that a little absurd? I would accept it if the specific feature was changed to something like "picks any kind of non-magical crossbow for free" or "receives Weapon Focus (crossbow) as a free feat" but this doesn't make any sense.

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-17, 09:30 AM
Yep, nothing takes away the gunsmithing feat. RAW you start with a mostly useless gun that sells for a small amount of gold. Sell it and buy yourself a crossbow.

skypse
2014-12-17, 09:42 AM
And I get to keep the Gunsmithing feat which means I can craft bullets and other stuff for 10% of their market price and then sell them for 50% of their market price because they are useless to me since I use only crossbows.

Psyren
2014-12-17, 10:01 AM
Yeah it's a well-known issue. Until they fix it, ask your DM to give the Bolt Ace something else in return - proficiency with all crossbows for instance, free Point Blank Shot, or free Weapon Focus.

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-17, 10:53 AM
Maybe ask for a free masterwork crossbow that only you can use and sells for 4d10 gold, maybe the ability to use GP instead of CP when using craft (bows) and calculating how long it takes to make something.

skypse
2014-12-17, 11:11 AM
I am actually thinking of asking for all crossbow proficiency instead of firearms and weapon focus/point-blank shot/rapid reload (one of the 3) instead of gunsmithing.