PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Making a LOD Wingly for D&D 3.5

Jackofalltrades
2014-12-17, 11:30 AM
So playing Legend of Dragoon and after seeing Lloyd again i thought, wouldn't it be awesome to have Winglies in D&D. but not as a level adjusted race but as a base race. after a quick Google search i haven't found much. so i figured I'll give it a shot, to kinda keep it simple. i decided to use the Fluff version of the Raptoran. so this i what i have so far. Note: I'm not basing this race after Lloyd but after the race.

instead of feathered wings they of course have jets of magic flowing from their backs.
keep the +10 to jump
keep their flight progression.
+2 to spellcraft and knowledge (Arcana) . (replaces the +2 to climb and spot)
know common and Winglie, bonus: all except druidic.
land speed 30
I don't know if the Gliding mechanic should be adjusted or not. kinda hoping to change to it some kind of short limited hover to represent how a wingly can hover over the ground sometimes,
Unerring direction i was thinking this should be replaced by a limited amount of kelgore fire bolts or lesser orb of fire, that might improve over time. maybe that is too much, maybe if i give up pact with the wind lords also it might not be that bad.
Pact with the wind lords could replace with +1 fire descriptor spells.
favored Class sorcerer or maybe duskblade. (wizard is a elf thing)
possibly a +2 to Int or CHA and a -2 to Wis or STH.

this race still needs more work. but i think this keeps it simple enough to keep Dm's from instantly turning it down.
well any suggestions on anything i could improve would be appreciated, but keep in mind that its intended on being a LV+0 base race.

Solaris
2014-12-19, 10:31 AM
That looks pretty decent. How do you plan on working the hover mechanic? It strikes me that you could add a 5-ft. hover effect somewhere around 3rd-5th level without unbalancing it. This is a supernatural flight ability, meaning that it won't work in an AMF but it will work while the character is held, stunned, or paralyzed - which is overall an advantage.
Have you considered modeling it on featherfall, fly, and wind walk to get more of a supernatural feel to it than the raptoran's winged flight?

However, replacing the unerring direction ability for a scaling blasting capability is a bit powerful. How do you plan to work it in?

Jackofalltrades
2014-12-19, 11:02 AM
That looks pretty decent. How do you plan on working the hover mechanic? It strikes me that you could add a 5-ft. hover effect somewhere around 3rd-5th level without unbalancing it. This is a supernatural flight ability, meaning that it won't work in an AMF but it will work while the character is held, stunned, or paralyzed - which is overall an advantage.
Have you considered modeling it on featherfall, fly, and wind walk to get more of a supernatural feel to it than the raptoran's winged flight?

However, replacing the unerring direction ability for a scaling blasting capability is a bit powerful. How do you plan to work it in?

Actually i haven't considered featherfall, fly, and wind walk, that would make it feel more Wingly like.

the Fire blasting ability is going to be tricky though. i hope that it will be a 1/day spell like ability that starts at 1D6 and at lV 4,5 or 6 become 1D8. and then progress again after a few levels. i guess I'm trying to implant the winglys ability to shoot fireballs. maybe it would be easier to use a different useful spell like ability that won't need modifying.