PDA

View Full Version : how would you build it?

dantiesilva
2014-12-17, 11:39 AM
So recently I have had the idea in my head to make a plain non optimized fighter. A simple storybook hero, nothing special really.

My ideas are to start as a level 1 human with the apprentice feat from DMG 2. Later on picking up the leadership feat, and landlord feat.

Thinking classic storybook I am thinking more along the lines of scimitar fielder after looking at legacy items yesterday. Going later into dervish to keep with the theme of the build. My question is besides the feats I stated how would you build it? Would you do 3 levels of human paragon followed by 2 levels of fighter, going after into dervish if it's even possible, or something else?

I believe it will be a 36 point buy as well. Thanks everyone for the help.

OldTrees1
2014-12-17, 04:33 PM
A problem in 3.5 is that some classes need to be optimized for versatility in order to simulate those stories. Fighter is a good example.

I am not sure if Apprentice is a good choice. The name sounds good but the actually rules don't support the concept well enough to expend the feat.

Leadership(without abuse) + Landlord seem like good choices

Beyond those you would want feats that enable you to do things (since 3.5's initial assumption is that you can't fight without the right feats). Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip, Power Attack and Improved Bullrush come to mind.

Honestly I would recommend the Martial Rogue (trades Sneak Attack for Fighter Bonus Feats) as a better foundation for the storybook warrior hero (I think of it more as a Fighter ACF than a Rogue ACF). Your BAB drop a couple points delaying some of your combat feats but your skill points/level increase and your skill list increases enough to model the skill section of the storybook hero.

Being able to move and full attack is something storybook heroes are known for. The easiest way to continue to model that is to get the pounce ability via 1 level of Barbarian or the Two Weapon Pounce feat.

So my suggestion would be
Human Martial Rogue 7 / Dervish 10

It gets 4 feats + 4 fighter feats before hitting Dervish.
Fighter feats: Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Scimitar), Combat Expertise, Dodge, Combat Reflexes, Karmic Strike, Mobility
Other feats: Leadership

During Dervish you will get 3 more feats
Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Pounce, Landlord

For abilities I would suggest favoring Dex(for combat) and Int(for skills) but since this is a storybook hero, I would not dump anything.

Edit:
An option would be to replace 1 level of Martial Rogue with 1 level of Spirit Lion Barbarian. This would allow you to replace the Two Weapon Pounce feat with Improved Two Weapon Fighting.

Feint's End
2014-12-17, 04:37 PM
The 7th level martial rogue doesn't do anything for you so it's a good idea to replace it. Otherwise I support the idea of using martial rogue instead (maybe for 4 levels only if you miss the bab) and maybe then take human paragon before going into dervish

OldTrees1
2014-12-17, 04:47 PM
The 7th level martial rogue doesn't do anything for you so it's a good idea to replace it. Otherwise I support the idea of using martial rogue instead (maybe for 4 levels only if you miss the bab) and maybe then take human paragon before going into dervish

The 7th level gives more 8+Int skill points. Not something to overlook for sustaining versatility. That is why I would choose it over Human Paragon. Yet, 1 level of Spirit Lion Barbarian is worth replacing the 7th level of Martial Rogue.

dantiesilva
2014-12-17, 07:37 PM
So if I'm reading this right being a martial rogue gives me all the rogue skills and abilities besides sneak attack which is replaced by fighter bonus feats.

Feint's End
2014-12-17, 07:39 PM
So if I'm reading this right being a martial rogue gives me all the rogue skills and abilities besides sneak attack which is replaced by fighter bonus feats.

Exactly ... note that you replace the progressions. So instead of getting Sneak Attack at level 1, 3, 5, etc. you get Bonus Feats at level 1, 2, 4, 6, etc

dantiesilva
2014-12-17, 07:45 PM
That does sound better, the only thing it really hurts is the bab as well. As for making a tripper that's not the feel I would be going for, I hear it's good but I rather make a build I can have fun with instead of an arms race against the DM. I have been in the situation before where at level 10 enemies had casting, all buff spells already on, and over 300hp. Rather not deal with that again.

OldTrees1
2014-12-17, 07:58 PM
That does sound better, the only thing it really hurts is the bab as well. As for making a tripper that's not the feel I would be going for, I hear it's good but I rather make a build I can have fun with instead of an arms race against the DM. I have been in the situation before where at level 10 enemies had casting, all buff spells already on, and over 300hp. Rather not deal with that again.

BAB isn't hurt too much. Especially since you want a prestige class.

I mentioned Improved Trip initially, but you are right that it is not the feel you were going for. You will notice that my final suggestion in my first post did not include Improved Trip, Power Attack or Improved Bullrush.

No suggestions so far in this thread would cause an arms race. Arms races are a result of vertical optimization aka POWER, the suggestions in this thread have mostly been horizontal optimization aka flexibility.

Troacctid
2014-12-17, 08:07 PM
If you're not Power Attacking or optimizing your iterative attacks and you don't need it for prerequisites, then there's not much reason to care about BAB. It's just another +1 to hit.