PDA

View Full Version : Cleric spells

Jlooney
2014-12-17, 02:24 PM
So in my game yesterday I had a player start a cleric. He normally is really smart and able to figure stuff out on how own. He asked me to explain how the wordin on preparing spells and domains and such worked. I explained it to him the way it works and his counter argument was pretty valid.

I told him that I'd go on here and get an explanation of what the wisdom plus level slots per day and domains really ment. So can someone breakdown the wording and explain it in a simple way? I'll be printing off the answers and keeping them in the book for reference.

GiantOctopodes
2014-12-17, 02:37 PM
So in my game yesterday I had a player start a cleric. He normally is really smart and able to figure stuff out on how own. He asked me to explain how the wordin on preparing spells and domains and such worked. I explained it to him the way it works and his counter argument was pretty valid.

I told him that I'd go on here and get an explanation of what the wisdom plus level slots per day and domains really ment. So can someone breakdown the wording and explain it in a simple way? I'll be printing off the answers and keeping them in the book for reference.

Yes, it's actually quite simple- you get to choose your level + wisdom modifier number of spells from the cleric spell list when you take a long rest. They must be of a level you can cast, but that would only matter if you are multiclassing, as otherwise you would never be able to cast them anyway. Your domain spells are *always* prepared, and are entirely separate, above and beyond, that which you chose. So, let's take a 10th level cleric with 18 Wisdom and the Knowledge domain. He chooses 14 spells from the cleric spell list, all of which must be 1st through 5th level. When casting a spell, he can cast any of those spells, as well as command, identify, augury, suggestion, nondetection, speak with dead, etc (all of them, up to and including scrying). All told, he will have a list of 24 spells which he can choose from when casting a spell

Note that all 24 of those must be cast using his existing spell slots (of which he only has 15), so he will inevitably not have the slots to cast all of those spells. In addition, a spell can be cast multiple times, so it is certainly possible he will only cast 1 spell (a 1st level spell) 15 times, and the other 23 spells he chose will go unused.

Also note that you can only cast spells with a spell slot of the level of the spell or higher. So, while he could certainly cast a 1st level spell 15 times, he can only cast at that point 2 5th level spells, or the same 5th level spell twice. If he has foolishly chosen 10 5th level spells and 4 4th level spells to prepare, he will only be able to use his 5th and 4th level spell slots to cast them, and will only be able to choose from his list of domain spells (which are always prepared, no choice involved) when casting spells of lower levels.

Hope that helps.

Jlooney
2014-12-17, 04:09 PM
So once you pick the spells you cast like a traditional sorcerer?

Dalebert
2014-12-17, 04:24 PM
So once you pick the spells you cast like a traditional sorcerer?

Yes. Let me try to be more succinct.

You always have your domain spells prepared. On top of that, you get your wisdom bonus plus your level of other spells you can prepare. That's now your repertoire to pick from until you long rest again and change it.

Now, you use your spell slots to cast from that repertoire. You don't forget any.

Theodoxus
2014-12-17, 04:26 PM
By traditional, you mean 3rd ed? Then yes. You pick a list and that list never runs out of prepared spells, just prepared slots. Like a 3rd ed sorcerer.

Gwendol
2014-12-18, 02:32 AM
No, more like a 3e Spirit Shaman.