PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kineticist or Soulknife/Aegis for new campaign

Feint's End
2014-12-17, 06:02 PM
It's time to start a new campaign with 2 other players and my brother as the dm. I'm not entirely sure on what to play though so I thought why not set up a thread here and look for some interesting input.

First things first. The campaign will be set in another world/plane from our homeworlds (we can all come from different worlds ... giving us complete freedom in backstory and society we come from) and will likely be survival focused in the beginning. later on it depends on our actions which way the campaign starts.

Now the other 2 players will play a Shaman and a Cleric. So we got a pretty wide away covered already.

What I thought of thus far:
-Kineticist Psion (wanted to play one for long time)
-alternatively some form of hybrid (maybe Dark Tempest) or Aegis (pretty good controller) going into metaforge (with the UP feats I can get the Armor of a level 20 Aegis and the Blade of a Level 18 Soulknife (add on the Hilt and I sit at +12 pre epic)

also taking suggestions on races

Tulya
2014-12-18, 07:58 AM
Blue is flavored as having aptitude for mental domination, but they're probably the go-to race for Kineticists in crunch. They've got adjustments to all the right stats, a small size, Unlocked Talent as a racial bonus feat (alternate racial trait), a respectable though unnecessary alternate favored class bonus, and access to a balanced Arcane Thesis as a racial psionic Trait: Psionic Lineage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-alternate-rules/psionic-race-traits/psionic-lineage-blue).

Psionic Lineage reduces the power point cost adjustment for metapsionic feats by 1 for a single power. This benefit is more conditional than the Psigifted trait available to all manifesters, but it has a few minor advantages:
1.) Lineage is pp conserving: If you manifest your chosen power with a cost-adjusting metapsionic feat, you can always get at least as much augmentation as a character with Psigifted, but you pay at least one less pp.
2.) The benefit scales with the number of metapsionic feats applied. This is usually not going to exceed two metapsionic feats unless your manifester level is high enough to make the increased adjustment from Metapsionic Mastery efficient.
3.) You can select any power, not just powers you know when you select the trait. (Though few powers are worth stacking metapsionics on as much as Energy Ray/Crystal Shard, due to the sheer efficiency of Split Psionic Ray.)

This comes at the cost of providing minimal benefit until at least 3rd level, and not increasing manifester-level dependent effects like range and checks to overcome power resistance.

Feint's End
2014-12-18, 08:38 AM
Oh I almost forgot about that racial feature ... seems like I have to give them another look just to make sure.

Thanks for the input!