PDA

View Full Version : Constrict and Armor Spikes: How exactly do they work?

MilesTiden
2014-12-17, 06:03 PM
Constrict

A creature with this special attack can crush an opponent, dealing bludgeoning damage, after making a successful grapple check. The amount of damage is given in the creature’s entry. If the creature also has the improved grab ability it deals constriction damage in addition to damage dealt by the weapon used to grab.

So, while working on some ideas for a grappling character, something kinda odd struck me about the Constrict special ability. As written, it seems to me like it applies on every grapple check, to deal damage or not. The Constrict abilities of various monsters seems to have even less restrictive wording, but I believe they default to the special ability listing in case of conflicts. Anyways, not really the point of this thread. Now, let's take a look at the description of the Armor Spikes.

Armor Spikes

You can have spikes added to your armor, which allow you to deal extra piercing damage (see Table: Weapons) on a successful grapple attack. The spikes count as a martial weapon. If you are not proficient with them, you take a -4 penalty on grapple checks when you try to use them. You can also make a regular melee attack (or off-hand attack) with the spikes, and they count as a light weapon in this case. (You can’t also make an attack with armor spikes if you have already made an attack with another off-hand weapon, and vice versa.)

There's two key differences in this: the 'extra', and the 'successful grapple attack'. So... what exactly does a grapple attack mean? Is it another term for a grapple check, a light weapon/unarmed strike/natural attack used in a grapple, a grapple check to deal damage, or something else? Does the extra mean that it adds to the other damage you do on a grapple, such as your unarmed strike damage?

Also, while we're on the topic, is it possible to add armor spikes to a robe? If not, how about an enchanted one? I'm just looking for the RAW on this point, sensibility is not high on my list of priorities for this character. :smalltongue:

StoneCipher
2014-12-17, 06:07 PM
I believe you do extra damage when you attack while in a grapple. That is the way I would rule it, anyways. Example being pulling out a simple weapon and stabbing a guy with it, and the armor spikes add damage on top of that.

MilesTiden
2014-12-18, 06:04 PM
Anyone else wanna chime in on this? I still have some unanswered questions, and would like to see what the playground thinks.

icefractal
2014-12-18, 07:01 PM
The check to initiate a grapple is an attack action, so I'd definitely call that a grapple attack that benefits from the spikes.

I'd personally rule that it does apply to a grapple check to deal damage, and doesn't apply to attacking with a light weapon in a grapple, but I'm not sure the wording supports me on that.

"Extra damage" certainly seems to imply the action has to deal damage in the first place to qualify, which would normally rule out a grapple check to pin or move the grapple. However, with Constrict, it could be argued to qualify.

Personally, I'd make it apply to every grapple check if you have Constrict, as that seems appropriate: spiky snake constricting you > non-spiky snake constricting you. Don't know if the RAW supports me on that.