PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Archaeologist/Sleepless detective combo?

Mel
2014-12-17, 08:42 PM
My companions will be a human Paladin and a old (few hundred years) elf Wizard.(yes, small group so far) We will probably have another player too, but don't know for sure, or what he will be.

Human or Half elf race (GM has ruled that prestige classes can be a favored class, it's not like prestige classes are that great to begin with unless very specific builds)
GM won't me be most other races, perhaps could be convinced of halfling, but has said that halfing are racially prejudiced in this world as gypsies.
If human, double +2 stats in intel and charisma. Half elf would provide a few more skill points from sleepless detective (or hp if I decided to go that way, SP seem better though) Dim light vision is nice, so is bonus to perception, and the skill feat could be perception too. (nothing gets past this character)

Feat of double benefit from favored class. Human bonus spells for bard favored class benefit (then more SP instead of HP I guess if feat)

Five ranks in Archaeologist fist because you need that much to qualify for the prestige class. Then four in SD so that he can spot hidden doors and traps. (trap spotter feat for double rolls) Then I don't know what, more Archaeologist levels I guess.

How does magical knack work in general? The description is confusing. Would it apply here any?

I plan to ask our GM if I can substitute Archaeologists trap sense with something else, since I plan to get trap spotter and that's redundant with all this perception stuff, it will already be able to spot traps ahead of time. Then our wizard can trigger it with a summons or something. Is there much precedence for this? I figured I could use one of the rogues archetype trap sense replacements, since that has already been established as a valid substitute. Is there a feat that or something that could be used to give Archaeologist Trapfinding so that it uses the Archaeologists levels, perhaps even SD levels too instead of rogue levels? Or do you guys think substituting trapfinder for all levels of trap sense would be reasonable? That way I can be better at preventing the traps rather then surviving them. Or don't bother?

And I thinking of pressing my luck further and seeing if I could substitute sleepless detectives sneak attack with something. Obviously this will rock the skill set and exploring traps and hidden doors etc bit, but it's really going to suck for combat I think. Sneak attacks just wasted here. Is this unreasonable? Would a few levels in bard spell skill instead be reasonable for class creation? Like each level of sneak attack add to spell level instead, like how arcane trickster works. (not exactly sure how that works either though:p)

So Archaeologist, any good? How do you guys rate this class? And what do you guys think of this combo straight? Or with the substitutes I am looking for?