PDA

View Full Version : HotDQ: So the party just met Hazirawn.

Madfellow
2014-12-17, 11:04 PM
Gentlemen, ladies, tonight something magical happened. I've been running Hoard of the Dragon Queen for a few months now, and the party just got to the point that they meet Hazirawn. I would like to share a transcript of part of the night's session with you. Spoilered for length and for, well, spoilers.

DM: Alright, you all enter the room. Inside you see a lavish chamber, with a large bed, a fireplace, and expensive furniture. Standing at the window is a tall, imposing figure. She turns to face you as you enter, revealing herself as a black-skinned dragonborn. "Kneel," she says.
Party: Kneels
Sorcerer: "This is lovely, your wyrmliness! Real skull and bones kind of vibe. Very 'end of days' Sheik."
DM: The woman walks closer and stands in front of Zoot. You can all hear a kind of indistinct whispering. You can't quite tell where it’s coming from. "You. Stand."
Sorcerer: Stands
Fighter: Perception to hear specifics?
Rogue: Same
DM: Roll it.
Fighter: 20
Cleric: 18
Rogue: 15
DM: You guys can make out a few chopped pieces of words, like echoes bouncing off a wall. The words seem to be echoing the conversation, partly. Rezmir continues. "We're going to play a game. I am going to speak a series of words. After each one, you will speak the first word that comes to your mind. Understand?"
Sorcerer: "Excellent!"
DM: She puts her hand on the hilt of her sword. "Talis."
Sorcerer: "Men"
DM: "Greypeak."
Sorcerer: "Pinecones!"
DM: "Portal"
Sorcerer: "Zafnir!"
DM: "Swamp."
Sorcerer: "Quicksand!"
DM: All of a sudden, Rezmir looks agitated. She doesn't actually seem to be paying attention to Zoot's answers. "Lord Draelmorre."
Sorcerer: "Toast!"
DM: "Trade Way."
Sorcerer: "Dragon"
DM: "Baldur's Gate."
Sorcerer: "Bored"
DM: "Elturel."
Sorcerer: "With"
DM: "Leosin."
Sorcerer: "This"
DM: Rezmir draws her weapon. "I've heard all I need."
Sorcerer: "Me too!"
DM: (Rolls) I assume 19 hits?

Twenty minutes later….

DM: She falls to the ground, dropping her weapon. That fight was not supposed to be that easy. I gotta step up my game.
Sorcerer: That’s when you add 30HP.
Rogue: Or stop reminding me I get Sneak Attack from flanking.
Sorcerer: Loot the body. I take a claw for later analysis.
Cleric: I'll watch the door
DM: Rezmir doesn't seem to have anything valuable on her except for her robes.
Sorcerer: Are the robes magical?
DM: They're fancy. They might be magical, who knows?
Sorcerer: I borrow them, along with her hand. I wear her robe as a cape, folded in two.
DM: Alright, Zoot has obtained a dead woman's clothing.
Cleric: Isn't she like twice Zoots size?
DM: Probably closer to three times his size. She's like 6' 6"
Cleric: She's like twice my size.
Fighter: I'll investigate her and her weapon. ****, Nat 1 again!
Rogue: Anything nice in the chest?
DM: So Laucian's grabbing the sword while Nat approaches the chest?
Fighter: Sure
DM: As soon as Laucian picks up the sword, you all hear a voice. "Tell your friend to stop what she's doing, before she gets herself killed."
Rogue: Umm...
DM: "The chest is trapped, girl. And it's empty."
Rogue: Well… how silly to trap an empty chest
Fighter: What's the point of that?
Rogue: And why would you know that, Mysterious Voice?
DM: "The good Lady Rezmir had the chest enchanted such that upon her death, its contents would be teleported elsewhere. I was there when she had it done. Quite ingenious."
Cleric: I'll look in the hallway.
DM: It appears to be empty. "Over here."
Cleric: Of all the times to wish I took see invisible. "Where?"
DM: "In the elf's hand, genius. I am Hazirawn. Nice to meet you."
Rogue: Yep, you too
DM: "You have a very firm grip, sir."
Fighter: I stare at the sword.
DM: "And might I say, that was most impressive work you did just now. What a show!"
Rogue: Ta-da! *jazz hands*
DM: "I say, is there room on your roster for one such as myself? I can be quite useful if you let me. I am a most adept killing machine. Ask anyone."
Fighter: "Not to seem, uh, rude, but...you're a sword. How are you talking?"
DM: "A wizard did it."
Cleric: Damn wizards
DM: "Well, what do you say? Is there room on your team for one as dashing and handsome as myself?"
Fighter: "Well, sir sword, I'm Laucian."
DM: "Oh, I knew that already. You've already told me so much about yourselves. Most colorful people you are."
Sorcerer: “Not good. Not good at all. I met a talking staff once. Tried to strangle my Aunt in her sleep. Grew vines just for the occasion."
DM: "Oh I promise, you can expect nothing of the sort from me!"
Fighter: "Indeed?"
DM: "Indeed."
Cleric: "Aren't we in the middle of something right now?"
DM: "Yes, such a great mystery to unravel!"
Fighter: "This is fascinating and all, but won't the cultists be a tad peeved when they find out what we've done?"
DM: "Oh, of course they will. That's why we'll kill them, obviously."
Sorcerer: "Oh, I like this sword."
DM: "I like you too, sir. I think we will get along smashingly!"
Fighter: "He's as chatty as you are"
DM: "It's been a while since I had someone other than Rezmir to talk to. I liked her too, but she could be so dull some times."
Rogue: The sword is starting to scare me.
Cleric: We should go see if we can meet up with Talis. I don't want to fight a floating castle full of cultists.
DM: "Aw, why not? It could be fun!"
Sorcerer: "Yea, it could be fun!"
DM: "Such action and exhilaration!"
Rogue: Yeah! It could be... a thing
Cleric: "Stop encouraging him, Sword!"
DM: “My name is Hazirawn."
Sorcerer: So where did the stuff teleport too?
DM: "To the hoard."
Fighter: "And that would be where?"
DM: "I can direct you, if you wish."
Sorcerer: "Lead on!"
DM: "Ah, it's been so long since I got to slay a dragon! This will be a great exercise!"
Fighter: "Wait...Dragon?"
DM: “Oh yes, a white dragon. A most ferocious specimen named Glazhael. Not too bright, but he's a good chap. Very violent."
Fighter: *glances at other party members* "Not sure this is the brightest idea"
Rogue: If he's a good chap, why are we going to kill him?
DM: "To get to the hoard, of course."
Sorcerer: "Yea, to get to the Hoard, of course!"
Cleric: "Come here you." Takes the Hazi, "Now lead us on!"
DM: I'd just like to take a second to describe what Hazirawn looks like, because it hasn't come up yet. It is a longsword made of what looks like pitch-black obsidian. It has a ruby embedded in the crossguard that vaguely looks like an eye.
Rogue: Yeah...
DM: Hazirawn proceeds to direct you through the castle. He leads you down the hall, back out to the courtyard, and toward the back end of it. The castle appears to have been constructed on the side of a great iceberg. Hazirawn leads you to a tunnel going inside. Zoot wearing Rezmir’s robes is going to attract attention. You see a man in a cultist uniform approaching you. "You there! What are you doing with those robes?"
Sorcerer: "Oh, these! Taking them to be cleaned." 12 deception
DM: (Rolls Insight) Nat 1. "Oh. Sorry about that. Carry on." He turns around and leaves. Hazirawn pipes up. "We could have just killed him."
Rogue: Yeah, this sword, guys... I'm not so keen on it.

Tenmujiin
2014-12-18, 09:38 AM
A magic item i've been designing for the campaign I'm planning just got a whole lot of extra 'personality'. Thanks for posting this.

Madfellow
2014-12-18, 09:40 AM
Glad to help. :smallbiggrin:

The J Pizzel
2014-12-18, 10:46 AM
Outstanding!

Envyus
2015-01-10, 12:09 AM
Any reason it's not evil. Or is it just secretly evil

I made it myself so that it attempts to take control of the PC and aid the cult in anyway it can, only respecting the leaders of the cult. It's loyalty is to Tiamat.