PDA

View Full Version : Earth Elemental vision

Petrakiss
2014-12-18, 01:08 AM
Hey all how is everyone doing.

So An Earth elemental can see 60ft (darkvision) and when he goes through the earth he moves at his speed and see's up to 60ft. If an elemental see's a mage in the back he can glide underground and pop up to smash him.

My q's is if an elemental can see within 60ft and a rouge or somthing rather is hiding (nonmagic means) could the elemental see him underground? Cause in my mind if a rouge is hiding say behind an object but his on a ground surface then to the elemental view it would see someone sitting there? Like a shark seeing someone floating ontop.

Jeraa
2014-12-18, 01:18 AM
Earth elementals actually can not see while they are under ground. They have no special form of vision or senses, like tremorsense. While above ground, their vision is no different from say, a dwarfs.

Edit: Unless your question is Pathfinder specific. Pathfinder does give them tremorsense. In which case, then yes the elemental would know the exact location of any creature that is in contact with the ground within the specified range, hiding or not.

Gnome Alone
2014-12-18, 02:19 AM
Btw, it's spelled "rogue." Y'know, like "vogue" or... actually, okay, I can't think of any other words that are spelled in that way. But anyway, "rogue" makes the correct sound ("rOHg"); "rouge" sounds like "roojzh" and is some kinda makeup or something, so if you persist in spelling it like that, expect to see in response a lot of moderately clever makeup puns with varying levels of hostility.

EDIT: Brogue!!

Petrakiss
2014-12-18, 03:03 AM
Btw, it's spelled "rogue." Y'know, like "vogue" or... actually, okay, I can't think of any other words that are spelled in that way. But anyway, "rogue" makes the correct sound ("rOHg"); "rouge" sounds like "roojzh" and is some kinda makeup or something, so if you persist in spelling it like that, expect to see in response a lot of moderately clever makeup puns with varying levels of hostility.

.............................ok

Petrakiss
2014-12-18, 03:05 AM
Earth elementals actually can not see while they are under ground. They have no special form of vision or senses, like tremorsense. While above ground, their vision is no different from say, a dwarfs.

Edit: Unless your question is Pathfinder specific. Pathfinder does give them tremorsense. In which case, then yes the elemental would know the exact location of any creature that is in contact with the ground within the specified range, hiding or not.

So wait, if they carnt see were they going, then how do they survive? arnt they dodo's/lemmings that dive into death?

torrasque666
2014-12-18, 03:05 AM
Alright, what shenanigans am I missing out on now man? Give me the low down.

Petrakiss
2014-12-18, 03:17 AM
Alright, what shenanigans am I missing out on now man? Give me the low down.

Hey torq,

Nothing big just trying to grasp how an earth elemental cannot see were his going underground? cause if he carnt see then whats stopping them from going into larva? or off a cliff? how does an elemental dive underground and pop next to you to attack you when they carnt see were they going?

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-18, 08:51 AM
Rules oversight. Yeah, earth elementals exist because they have no need to eat or breathe. It also helps that there are literally infinite numbers of them. I assume they move slowly and attempt to feel hazards before they hit the point of actually being in danger.

That said, it explains why despite the fact that they can live entirely underground, you find them on the surface or close to it more commonly then not.

Jeraa
2014-12-18, 11:22 AM
Yeah, it is just rules oversight. One that never got corrected, even in the errata. Delvers, thoqqua, and bulettes also travel underground, but they were given tremorsense. Someone just missed giving it to earth elementals.

Psyren
2014-12-18, 11:54 AM
As Jeraa mentioned, Pathfinder remembered to give it to them and their CR is unchanged - it shouldn't be a problem to put it on there for logic's sake.

jedipotter
2014-12-18, 03:48 PM
I have always given Elemental:

Elemental Sight(Ex) The elemental can see through it's chosen element as if was perfectly clear.

And even:

Elemental Sense As per Blindsight, but only in their element.

Blindsight is a nice touch that allows, for example, an air elemental to locate a invisible foe, by sensing them disturbing the air. It's a great flavor/mechanical effect. And it makes elementals more then just ''piles of stuff'.

Elkad
2014-12-18, 04:23 PM

Togue, Pogue, Drogue

Psyren
2014-12-18, 05:07 PM

Elemental Sight(Ex) The elemental can see through it's chosen element as if was perfectly clear.

And even:

Blindsight is a nice touch that allows, for example, an air elemental to locate a invisible foe, by sensing them disturbing the air. It's a great flavor/mechanical effect. And it makes elementals more then just ''piles of stuff'.

Well for an air elemental, unless you're fighting them underwater, this just amounts to regular old blindsight.

As for fire elementals - well, if you're doing battle in the middle of a conflagration, being seen is probably the least of your worries :smalltongue:

Petrakiss
2014-12-18, 05:12 PM
Yeah, it is just rules oversight. One that never got corrected, even in the errata. Delvers, thoqqua, and bulettes also travel underground, but they were given tremorsense. Someone just missed giving it to earth elementals.

I know right ha

Petrakiss
2014-12-18, 05:14 PM
As Jeraa mentioned, Pathfinder remembered to give it to them and their CR is unchanged - it shouldn't be a problem to put it on there for logic's sake.

Well thats why I made this topic because my brain was rambling on with "wtf" and "its a F***ing earth elemental it should have tremorsense or some means to see and know while under ground"

Petrakiss
2014-12-18, 05:15 PM
Togue, Pogue, Drogue

Vrogue, Kogue, Fogue......Grud :D

Petrakiss
2014-12-18, 05:17 PM

And even:

Interesting stuff. I'll See what my gm thinks about those, otherwise I will demand them to at least have tremorsense or I shall make 10000 pancakes with thick honey and throw them at him!

Petrakiss
2014-12-18, 05:19 PM
Well for an air elemental, unless you're fighting them underwater, this just amounts to regular old blindsight.

As for fire elementals - well, if you're doing battle in the middle of a conflagration, being seen is probably the least of your worries :smalltongue:

Yea indeed blindsight would apply. Also before you fight a fire elemental, always bring with you raw meat.

torrasque666
2014-12-18, 05:22 PM
dude, dude, use that edit button a bit more. don't want to see you get in trouble.

jedipotter
2014-12-19, 01:29 AM

I have things like fog and smoke count as 'air'. So in my game, you can't effect an air elemental's sight with something like fog cloud.

And smoke from a fire counts as 'fire' for fire elemental....as does steam.

(to get all Planespeaky, an Elemental can also see through the Para-elements too. But not the Quasi-elements.

The Grue
2014-12-19, 01:35 AM
Wow, a...quintuple post? That is impressive.

Petrakiss
2014-12-19, 03:24 AM
Wow, a...quintuple post? That is impressive.

I have things like fog and smoke count as 'air'. So in my game, you can't effect an air elemental's sight with something like fog cloud.

And smoke from a fire counts as 'fire' for fire elemental....as does steam.

(to get all Planespeaky, an Elemental can also see through the Para-elements too. But not the Quasi-elements.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yea sorry I was just replying to each one,

torrasque666
2014-12-19, 11:15 PM
yea sorry I was just replying to each one,
tis what the multiquote button(the little plus sign next to the quote button) is for.