PDA

View Full Version : Since launching 20 years ago, what's your favorite PlayStation memory ?

KL70
2014-12-18, 01:35 AM
With PlayStation having launched 20 years ago, what's your favorite serious or humorous memory of PS
in the last 20 years, be it something very funny happening while you were going to buy a game, or
while you were playing one, or something you saw happen to someone else.
It doesn't matter if you weren't even born in, or before 1994.

Starwulf
2014-12-18, 03:03 AM
The first PS game I Played is also one of my favorite of all time, including the various remakes. Resident Evil, and the classic scene that scared the hell out of many, the dogs bursting through the windows is my favorite memory :)

Nerd-o-rama
2014-12-18, 09:16 AM
Metal Gear Solid. The entire thing, but especially Psycho Mantis and his abuse of the fourth wall.

Grif
2014-12-18, 09:18 AM
Getting 100% in Spyro the Dragon.

I celebrated for hours. :smalltongue:

Tono
2014-12-18, 09:56 AM
Playing through FFT, getting to Wiegraf. Not knowing anything about the game, having to reset from my mage to a physical character and then beating him. Consequently, when I played at a later date and one shot him Flare. Felt good.

Also, more sentimentally, playing Star Gladiator with my dad. He hates video games, but he would play that with me.

OrcusMcP
2014-12-18, 10:08 AM
While I was never as big into FFVII as others, the whole of the first scene is still amazing. The music, the sweeping camera to show the entirety of Midgar, the zoom into the train pulling into the reactor, exploring the massive industrial environment of the reactor, escaping in the nick of time, it's all fantastic. It gives me chills even now.

Hytheter
2014-12-18, 10:12 AM
When I finally beat Nitrous Oxide's Ghost on every track in Crash Team Racing. That was a joyous moment.

GloatingSwine
2014-12-18, 10:34 AM
Getting 100% in Spyro the Dragon.

I celebrated for hours. :smalltongue:

Original Spyro goes to 120% :P

I think my defining PS1 memory is watching the (Japanese) FFVIII demo in my local import store shortly after completing the PC version of VII and immediately knowing that I must have it.

Brother Oni
2014-12-18, 10:53 AM
Two moments for me:

Micro machines multiplayer and making an off colour remark which left the whole room in stitches.

The dance scene from FF8 and marvelling at the quality of the animation.

While I was never as big into FFVII as others, the whole of the first scene is still amazing. The music, the sweeping camera to show the entirety of Midgar, the zoom into the train pulling into the reactor, exploring the massive industrial environment of the reactor, escaping in the nick of time, it's all fantastic. It gives me chills even now.

The HD version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVCYy8C5Av4) especially.

It's made even more poignant if you've played Crisis Core and remember how Zack first appeared.

Lurkmoar
2014-12-18, 11:09 AM
Playing through Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. The voices were badass, the graphics were pretty damn good, and the progression of abilities was always on mark.

Shame about the ending though.

My first time hearing Flight on Xenogears also sticks with me.

Nerd-o-rama
2014-12-18, 04:22 PM
Oh yeah, having the house to myself and playing Lunar:SSSC at ridiculous volumes just because I enjoyed the music that much. Or hell, using the PSX as a CD player for the OST because that's what was hooked up to the speakers.

Ah, the start of my not listening to anything but video game music and awkwardly excusing myself from all music conversations.

KillianHawkeye
2014-12-26, 09:59 PM
Hmm... this is a tough one. I think I have to say playing Thousand Arms with a friend watching and trying to help me get through the awkward multiple choice questions during the dating sim segments. As when dealing with women in real life, oftentimes there simply were no good choices.

Wraith
2014-12-27, 02:36 PM
I was playing Discworld II: Missing Presumed....? when I hit a glitch and the game crashed. The screen went completely red except for some green text; half of the screen was garbage code, and along the bottom of the screen was the single line "I'm dead! Now watch in amazement as your Playstation eats itself!"

...Okay, maybe not my favourite moment, but certainly the most memorable. :smalltongue:

Favourite has to be another vote for Final Fantasy VII. Just all of it, from the opening FMV right up to the first time I heard The Final Fantasy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcxPBYI8YEc&list=FLI4rB1EZ9mSRC2N3PsesGtQ&index=182) playing over the end credits. There is no part of that game that I didn't love, and still do today.

Fri
2014-12-30, 11:21 AM
I got myself everything I considered cool and all my favourite tropes from a single PSX Rpg, Grandia. Why do I consider goggles are cool? Why I'm into adventure stories? Why I like stories about ancient civilization? That game.

But my favourite PSX memories are still about the game Harvest Moon.

At one point in my middle school years, everyone in my class who have PSX played harvest moon. The boys, the girls, the nerds, the jocks, everyone. And for a while the conversation in my class was about raising cows.

Poison_Fish
2014-12-31, 04:04 PM
I was late to consoles, with PS2 being my first. I was playing PC games before that. But I have a very fond memory of my sister and I getting the ps2 and getting Katamari to play together.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-12-31, 04:13 PM
Sly 2: Band of Thieves. Specifically, Jean Bison's logging operation was my favorite part.

Unfortunately I passed up Shadow of the Colossus for Champions: Return to Arms, which is alright I guess but just an isometric hack-n-slasher. Wasted youth.

GloatingSwine
2015-01-01, 10:11 AM
I liked the second heist the most in Sly 2. The setup, Sly being the faceman distracting everyone, and then a mad escape and fight. Also liked the prison break chapter.

I will say quite confidently that Sly 2 is the best Assassin's Creed game.