PDA

View Full Version : I need a class!!!

Enzario
2007-03-28, 09:00 PM
I have a friend that is creating a new campaign/group. Unfortunately, we are only going to have 3 players (not including the DM), and they don't seem to care about party composition. So here's the situation:

Starting @ 7th level
1 Barbarian/Rogue
1 Barbarian/Blood Hound

Me. As of so far, I have created a tentative dragon shaman character, but I really have no clue as to what we need. Divine spellcaster, arcane, whatever. We need something, tell me what it is!!

:: Edit :: Translation: I need a character that will mesh well with two barbarians/skill monkeys. What class should I use?

:: Edit # 2 :: If you can, please limit your suggestions to stuff in the SRD, PHB, PHBII, XPH, DMG, Unearthed Arcana and MMI

Dark_Wind
2007-03-28, 09:09 PM
I say a Druid. They can heal, which you'll probably need, and they're generally all around good besides.

You'll still lack an arcanist, though...

Krellen
2007-03-28, 09:15 PM
Druid replicates an arcanist in many ways. Not all ways, obviously, but there's enough overlap to make it an overall good choice.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-28, 09:17 PM
arcane heriophant....coves both arcanist and druid

Enzario
2007-03-28, 09:19 PM
Wait, arcane heirophant...

what???

Ramza00
2007-03-28, 09:27 PM
Arcane Hierophant is an "advanced" version of mystic theurge. Advances spellcasting, wildshape, and causes you to dismiss your familiar but your animal companion gets all the benefits you would get for your familiar (arcane hierophant advances familiar and animal companion levels). You also gain the ability to channel spells from trees and plants limited times per day but this is so minor compared to the other benefits.

Galathir
2007-03-28, 09:29 PM
I second arcane heirophant. I believe it can be found in Races of the Wild. If you don't have access to that, straight Druid could serve you well. I might still go with an arcane caster though such as wizard. A Beguiler might work as it is a fairly decent skill monkey and can handle social situations that the other two characters might struggle in.

Krellen
2007-03-28, 09:30 PM
Arcane Heirophant is also not from any of the resources he outlined.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-28, 09:32 PM
its amazing, and can in fact be found in the Races of the wild. Very powerful spell casting class and when pared with the mystic theurge you can get 9th level spells at 20th level, with 14th level wild shaping abilities.

Iggero
2007-03-28, 09:35 PM
Druid gives you a nice flavor as well as being a great all around class, especially once wild shape is taken into account. A Cleric with a few good domains works as well. Finally, the bard is your ultimate fill in class.

Aximili
2007-03-28, 09:41 PM
A cleric with the right domains can do his job perfectly and cover a bit of the wizard's duties.

Townopolis
2007-03-28, 11:52 PM
Druid, as everyone has been saying, is a good class to pick.

Also, Bard, as mentioned before. The bard has Diplomacy, Bluff, Gather Information, and Sense Motive as class skills, and generally make the best "party face" they also get inspire courage, inspire heroism, and inspire greatness, 3 things which the two barbarians will love getting. Finally, a small but versatile selection of arcanist troubleshooting and healing/buffing spells will allow you to keep your bodyguards up and moving forward.

Might be a little low in terms of spellpower, but it is still the ultimate support for brute strength.

I am, of course, a little biased.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-28, 11:55 PM
bard would be good as a 5th character choice, i would suggest against that or ranger seeing how your party really needs some magic support and neither are full casters in the sense that a druid or wizard would be

Solo
2007-03-29, 12:02 AM
A Cleric with the magic domain would cover combat, healing, and a little arcane magic.

daggaz
2007-03-29, 12:06 AM
two barbarians? Definitely a druid, both for mechanics as well as style.

Bears With Lasers
2007-03-29, 12:37 AM
Druid. Forget Arcane Hierophant; the torturous progression of taking druid levels, then wizard levels, then MT levels, and lagging way behind your party all the way until really high level is in no way worth it.

Alternatively, a good wizard could be a great asset. It's hard to do without healing at low levels, but if you convince one of the barbarians to dip Ranger he'll be able to use wands of Cure Light Wounds; you can take Use Magic Devise ranks if you go into Loremaster.

Variable Arcana
2007-03-29, 12:49 AM
Thematically, a cleric of Kord might work well.

Druids are also quite nice, as many others have pointed out.

Tellah
2007-03-29, 01:07 AM
Druid, for the reasons mentioned above. I'd focus on casting effectively, rather than being a giant tanking bear. Recommendations for doing so:

Take the Spontaneous Rejuvenation option on page 39 of the PHB II, since your group needs healing more than it needs mooks. Pick an animal companion that's more than just a melee fighter, since you've got two already. Look into getting a wolf (for tracking), owl (stealthy flying scout), or horse/riding dog (mount).

Recommended feats:
-Scribe Scroll - Probably the cheapest way to exceed your normal number of spells per day.
-Craft Wondrous Item - The only other crafting feat you'll ever really need, and druids have access to some very nice spells for crafting.
-Natural Spell - This one's a no-brainer.
If you're a human:
-Skill Focus: Concentration - Better than Combat Casting. You'll most likely be casting your spells right in the thick of things, so this will help.

See if your DM will let you start out with an age modifier, the older the better. Keep your CON high, ignore DEX, and invest in STR only enough to carry a suit of Dragonhide Plate.

Rockphed
2007-03-29, 01:13 AM
See if your DM will let you start out with an age modifier, the older the better. Keep your CON high, ignore DEX, and invest in STR only enough to carry a suit of Dragonhide Plate.

I hate to be picky, but can a druid wear Dragonhide Plate without taking a feat? They are listed as only being proficient with up to medium armors, so that might not work.

Like so many people, I will advocate a druid. Just remember the first rule of druidness: If it is an abomination against nature, it is less of an abomination when on fire. Or acid. Or lightning. Or sonic.

Tellah
2007-03-29, 02:00 AM
Yeah, it takes a feat. When you get to a level where you can afford +1 Wild Dragonhide Plate, though, I'd argue that it's worth it.

Theodora
2007-03-29, 05:37 AM
Starting @ 7th level
1 Barbarian/Rogue
1 Barbarian/Blood Hound

Well, these are very kick-ass characters:smallfurious: . So I suggest that you create a cleric for healing. A cleric can also turn undead and various other useful actions, so I think that it would be suitable. However,the arcane hierophant is not a bad idea at all.:smallcool:

Ikkitosen
2007-03-29, 05:47 AM
I second cleric with magic domain - use scrolls and wands of the arcane spells you need. Get animal or plant to fit in with the other 2 characters :) Be a healbot who can tank too. You'll get dibs on any magical heavy armour you find too!

its_all_ogre
2007-03-29, 07:55 AM
war/strength and magic.

RowlieBowlie
2007-03-29, 07:57 AM
Mmm, I think you should go with the druid,

Or try a bard, he's part arcanist, can focus on the things the rogue doesn't do, and has some heling spells.

Piccamo
2007-03-29, 08:19 AM
I hate to be picky, but can a druid wear Dragonhide Plate without taking a feat? They are listed as only being proficient with up to medium armors, so that might not work.

You can wear any armor with or without proficiency, you just apply your armor check penalty to your attack rolls in addition to the normal stuff. (link (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/featsAll.html#armor-proficiency-light))

ARMOR PROFICIENCY (LIGHT) [GENERAL]

Benefit: When you wear a type of armor with which you are proficient, the armor check penalty for that armor applies only to Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Pick Pocket, and Tumble checks.
Normal: A character who is wearing armor with which she is not proficient applies its armor check penalty to attack rolls and to all skill checks that involve moving, including Ride.
Special: All characters except wizards, sorcerers, and monks automatically have Armor Proficiency (light) as a bonus feat. They need not select it

Person_Man
2007-03-29, 10:06 AM
Barbarian/Rogue and a Barbarian/Bloodhound? Well, I guess if you want a PC that's on their power level, you could be a Samurai/Spellthief.

Seriously though, you have two melee types who are going to be on the front line of battle. They need someone to heal them and provide ranged support (especially if your DM ever throws a flying enemy at you). So I suggest a Cleric archer build.

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-29, 10:12 AM
Doesn't Dragonhide act as Mithral in terms of reducing heavy armor to light?
Thats what my Draconomicon says, at least.

JackMage666
2007-03-29, 10:15 AM
Anything powerful enough to kill the two Barbarians so they can redo their characters.

Well, if you have two Barbarians anyway, your DM will have to make alot of encounters that they can solve. So, you don't really need to be a spellcaster, if you don't want to. The DM should work around you, and make the challenges possible for you to beat without strong magic, as you're already short everywhere else.

jjpickar
2007-03-29, 11:59 AM
Clerics and Druids are really good, though that Dragon-y class that gets the auras from the PHBII is kinda neat. Not nearly as powerful though.

ravenkith
2007-03-29, 12:20 PM
Options for you:

1. Trickster Cleric Archer
2. Druid
3. Ranger
4. UMD Rogue

What I would do:

1. Check out spirit shaman/shaman (can't recall if this is a good class or not, but Oriental Adventures and Complete Divine as a base class). If either is good, this would be a perfect time to play one. As I recall, they were divine casters who got some wizard-type spells as well as clerical ones, and some funky benefits, but I'm AFB right now.

2. If Neither Shaman nor Spirit Shaman is going to work, I'd make a Chaotic Good Warlock, with lots of UMD. You can fake being a cleric or a wizard with the right items, and you can keep up with the barbarians with your 'go all day' eldritch blast. With the right invocations, you can be effective without being too dominant in the party.

Go Human, pick up the psionic feats that add to ranged attacks, and let you meditate faster from the xph.

If you want, you can even pick up complete mage and hunger lustily after eldritch disciple....