PDA

View Full Version : Colossal ranged attack

Xeolan
2014-12-18, 04:00 PM
In my current game setting, my wizard decided to craft a colossal humanoid-shaped construct, a mecha, piloted by the PC. Despite it's size, it costs about the same as your regular iron golem, but it doesn't have any particular ability. It's basically just a giant fightning machine.

The body is made of iron and is provided by the campaign capital city, and my character will be around lvl 10-11 by the time we can start it's construction. It's primary weapon is either a slam attack or a bladed weapon grafted to it's arm, but i would also like a backup ranged weapon when fighting airborne or distant enemies.

For the ranged weapon, I'd like something as mundane and cheap as possible, that uses ammunition probably, and can be fired with a single arm. I thought about a colossal repeating light crossbow that could be grafted to it's arm, but then i realized that it's attack roll would be really low because of it's size penalty and low dexterity score.

Another option is thrown weapons with the brutal throw feat, but their range is short, and since the construct doesn't carry a bag or a pouch it would be hard to carry multiple thrown weapon at once. (It's possible to load multiple bolts into his arm, but not thrown weapons)

Could i use a mechanism similar to a ranged attack trap? I can set the attack roll, and add the construct's strength bonus to it's damage?

Any other idea? Ranged combat seems unfit for colossal creatures at first glance.

Thanks! =D

( This idea ''may'' have been slightly inspired by the Pacific Rim movie and my love for mechas )

Darrin
2014-12-18, 04:06 PM
Try Fiend Folio page 214, Stone Spitter under Maug grafts.

Nibbens
2014-12-18, 04:27 PM
Any reason why the pilot can't purchase disintegrate wands (or scorching ray if his level isn't high enough) to "shoot" at the enemy while piloting the mech at the same time? There's absolutely no reason why your mecha should not have laser beams!
No.
Reason.
At.
ALL! :D

LoyalPaladin
2014-12-18, 04:33 PM
Any reason why the pilot can't purchase disintegrate wands (or scorching ray if his level isn't high enough) to "shoot" at the enemy while piloting the mech at the same time?
I was thinking the same thing. If you've got a Wizard for a pilot... why not just use spells for your ranged attack?

Nibbens
2014-12-18, 04:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing. If you've got a Wizard for a pilot... why not just use spells for your ranged attack?

Whoa... or craft a colossal wand for the mecha to use? Instead of a hand, it has a wand... pew-pew!

Any way to get a construct's "UMD" score up high enough to use a wand of disintegrate?

O.O

LoyalPaladin
2014-12-18, 04:47 PM
Any way to get a construct's "UMD" score up high enough to use a wand of disintegrate?
You could try to refluff the half-golem (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/halfgolem.shtml) template on to the wizard and he could just be the construct. Isn't that what every wizard wants? To be colossal, all powerful, and good in combat?

Xeolan
2014-12-18, 05:33 PM
Any reason why the pilot can't purchase disintegrate wands (or scorching ray if his level isn't high enough) to "shoot" at the enemy while piloting the mech at the same time? There's absolutely no reason why your mecha should not have laser beams!
No.
Reason.
At.
ALL! :D

Haha yep! At some point i'll even upgrade the construct with something similar to a rod of metamagic. I was just looking for something mundane for backup, or for when someone else wants to pilot it.

At my current level i've got just enough gold for the construct itself, anything magical like a wand will probably come in later levels.

I don't think the construct can possess the UMD skill since it has no intelligence score, so only the pilot itself might cast spells.

For the half-golem template, yeah that idea sounds great. If my character gets proficient enough he might just go that way at some point, but meanwhile he still wants to dabble in mortal affairs :D

So far i think i'll settle for the stone spitter graft until i can get something more exciting to use.

Thanks all!

Nibbens
2014-12-18, 05:42 PM
I don't think the construct can possess the UMD skill since it has no intelligence score, so only the pilot itself might cast spells.

Okay, well, I've never seen a better candidate for the Rule of Cool. Rider activating the wand/casting the spell which then fires through the "colossal wand arm" of the golem. So what if it's not RAW - it's awesome! lol.

... okay, I'm done now. lol. *Runs away and hides*

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-18, 06:14 PM
Wand of disintegrate? I believe you should have a resetting trap of disintegrate. Then, have it carry a wand of Moon blade in its other hand.

Now you have a gundam

You win.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-18, 06:54 PM
Try Fiend Folio page 214, Stone Spitter under Maug grafts.

This. This this this. It is literally a machine gun.

Xeolan
2014-12-19, 02:52 AM
Btw, a ranged weapon of this size would be considered like a siege weapon right? Do i fire against a creature's touch AC? or does it's armor/shield bonus still count? I can't seem to find that info anywhere. Is it size dependent? By common sense, a medium creature's armor would provide no protection from a colossal attack, whether it is ranged or melee, but a huge or gargantuan creature's armor would still provide protection from the attack?

Rules are so unclear sometime haha (or often)

Chronos
2014-12-19, 01:44 PM
Don't think laser beam hands. Think laser beam eyes. The wizard sitting in the head (because we all know that that's where he's going to be sitting, practicality be damned) just aims the wands out the eye holes.