PDA

View Full Version : OOTS in Korean?

badmiddle
2007-03-28, 09:09 PM
Is Giant have a plan for official korean translation program? I'll proudly free service for korean translation.

to confess the truth, I've been #1~#228 script and photoshop works(all-background sound effect!). I'm not professional translator and poor at english composition, however, good at reading and friends says my translation is pretty good quality.:smallredface:

oball
2007-03-28, 09:15 PM
From the site FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq14a):

Q: I speak a language other than English. Can I translate the Order of the Stick for my game site?

A: At this time, the translation program is on indefinite hold. Some of the existing translations apparently suffered from accuracy issues, and all suffered from a lack of support from the translator, most of whom faded away after translating only a fraction of the strip's run. Also, there was no promotion or advertisement by the translators in their native language, resulting in a great deal of work for very, very few hits. Please do not contact me regarding translating OOTS into your native language until such time as I decide whether to continue the translation program.

badmiddle
2007-03-28, 09:25 PM
Come on, I can translate continually, pretty accurately, and all service free! :D
I beg Giant consider this seriously.

BobTheDog
2007-03-28, 09:27 PM
Well, if ever he decides to reactivate the translation program, I hope I'm still around and manage to get my hands on the portuguese translation. The guys who did those 15 or so strips were afwul...

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-03-28, 09:54 PM
I've seen several people just post fan translations on the forums here. I think the only reason you should stop or not do it is if a moderator complains about it. Just don't try to claim you're doing anything official.

Nazzo, the 102nd
2007-03-28, 11:11 PM
Well, if ever he decides to reactivate the translation program, I hope I'm still around and manage to get my hands on the portuguese translation. The guys who did those 15 or so strips were afwul...

Eh? I find his translations accurate. But I have the feeling that the spells', skills' and feats' names in Portugues just don't fit in. At least in my group, we always say the names in English. Like, "quero fazer um check de listen", and not "quero fazer um teste de ouvir". "Bull's strength no guerreiro" seems more realistic than "Força de touro no guerreiro".

And there is a lot of problems, like that strip where Roy, Elan and V play with the word "level". "Spell level" wouldn't work in Portuguese.

But I'd like to see you ideas, anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Blackdog
2007-03-28, 11:57 PM
If anyone's interested (or just nostalgic) the old translations are still available from the Internet Archive.
(http://web.archive.org/web/20050911201136/www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootsxlations)

Haruki-kun
2007-03-28, 11:58 PM
It's not about the translation's quality.

If anyone knows animé (if you don't, just follow along), you'll know that Fansubs are way better than dubs or official subbed versions.

But the thing is what oball quoted: It's just not allowed.

Heck, I could do the translation to Spanish myself, but if tanslating is on hold there's nothing we could do. (Come to think of it, there's nothing special about it. There's so many people in these forums that I'm sure OOTS could be translated into anything.)

fall_ark
2007-03-29, 01:56 AM
I doubted any translated version could be accurate considering the whole "nale nail not knot" thing. And too many annotations affect the fluency of reading.

badmiddle
2007-03-29, 02:20 AM
I think it is problem of localizing. For exalmple, In Terminator 2(movie), Terminator say "Hasta la vista, baby" hasta la vista is Spanish. In spain, Terminator dubbed "Sayonara, Baby" for exotic nuance.

Translation of English wordplay is matter of translator's ability, and good translator's localizing can be make sense, I guess.

JoseB
2007-03-29, 07:48 AM
Badmiddle, I would say that the best option, for now, is to make a (text-only) translation and post it as a thread in the forums. There are (more or less) active translation threads for German, Spanish, Portuguese and French, at least. They come back to life from time to time. The one that has most strips translated is the German language one.

I started the Spanish translation thread, and I intend to reactivate it when I have more time to dedicate to it (now I am fairly swamped with work).

The good thing about that is that, that way, you have a repository of translations that have been done and (hopefully) checked by native speakers if the happy day comes when the Giant authorises a publication of his comic in other languages.

So, I would say: Go for a translation thread and put it here!

I would only recommend one thing: Any comments in the threads that are not the translated texts themselves, or corrections to them, should be written in English. People who are not fluent in the languages that the strips are translated into nonetheless may like to check on the threads to see how they go, and it is just a question of common courtesy to use the common language of this forum in the general comments in that thread.

So that you can have a "feel" for how other translation threads look like, here you have the German translation thread, and the Spanish translation thread. Check them out, and then, go for it! :)

German translation thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4972

Spanish translation thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5490

In any case... Good luck, and my recommendation is, again: Go for it!

All the very best!