PDA

View Full Version : Little Things

Kane0
2014-12-18, 06:44 PM
Does anyone know why Chromatic orb needs 50gp in diamond dust to cast? That seems like a bit of a typo to me.
Edit: Identify is the same with a 100gp pearl, are these not supposed to be expended upon casting?

Where are the contents of explorers packs and other packs actually outlined? Even the appendix doesn't give you a page number.

I'll probably post more things I notice here too, save making a new thread each time.

Jeraa
2014-12-18, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know why Chromatic orb needs 50gp in diamond dust to cast? That seems like a bit of a typo to me.
Edit: Identify is the same with a 100gp pearl, are these not supposed to be expended upon casting?

IT seems to do more damage than other 1st level spells, and lets you choose the damage type making it easier to target a creatures vulnerability. And the expensive components are expended when the spell is cast, the same with all other material components.

Where are the contents of explorers packs and other packs actually outlined? Even the appendix doesn't give you a page number.

Page 151.

SharkForce
2014-12-18, 07:03 PM
components are not automatically expended on use. so all those expensive things that don't say they're expended to cast the spell can be reused.

Starsinger
2014-12-18, 07:05 PM
In 3.5 parlance, the 50gp diamond for casting Chromatic Orb is a Material Focus, not a Material Component.

Edge of Dreams
2014-12-18, 07:05 PM
Actually, the 50gp diamond for Chromatic Orb and the 100gp pearl for Identify are NOT consumed when you cast it, because the spell doesn't say the magic words "which the spell consumes" in the component line. For both those spells, and many others, you can buy the component once and cast over and over again.

Jeraa
2014-12-18, 08:26 PM
You are right about the components. I hadn't noticed that 5e no longer differentiates between focuses and components, instead calling them both the same thing. Which, from what I can see, means the vast majority of spells with material components don't consume those components.

Kane0
2014-12-18, 08:30 PM
Well thats a relief!

mr_odd
2014-12-18, 10:47 PM
You are right about the components. I hadn't noticed that 5e no longer differentiates between focuses and components, instead calling them both the same thing. Which, from what I can see, means the vast majority of spells with material components don't consume those components.

But if you have an arcane focus, you still need components that cost money, correct?

Shadow
2014-12-18, 11:54 PM
But if you have an arcane focus, you still need components that cost money, correct?

Correct.
Any component listed that either has a cost, or is consumed on casting, or both, are still needed when using a focus. A focus only circumvents the need for components that are not consumed and have no cost listed.

If it's consumed you need to have it on hand, even when using a focus.
If it has a cost listed, it is specifically needed for the casting, even when using a focus.
The focus only covers generic materials which do not fit either of the above scenarios.

SharkForce
2014-12-19, 12:27 AM
Correct.
Any component listed that either has a cost, or is consumed on casting, or both, are still needed when using a focus. A focus only circumvents the need for components that are not consumed and have no cost listed.

If it's consumed you need to have it on hand, even when using a focus.
If it has a cost listed, it is specifically needed for the casting, even when using a focus.
The focus only covers generic materials which do not fit either of the above scenarios.

in other words, the focus is basically a reskinned spell component pouch :P

Shadow
2014-12-19, 12:52 AM
in other words, the focus is basically a reskinned spell component pouch :P

A spell component pouch is in fact a universal focus. Each class has one or more foci that they can use in place of components which generally cost around 10gp or so (if I recall correctly), while anyone can use a component pouch which costs 25gp (again, iIrc).

Celcey
2014-12-19, 03:07 AM
Basically there's no mechanical difference between using a component pouch and a focus. It's six of one, half dozen of the other. HOWEVER, no matter which you choose, you ALWAYS need to buy things that either:
a) have a GP value
b) are consumed by the spell

Not all components with a GP value are consumed, however, so it still works out pretty nicely. (Also, I'm pretty sure everything consumed by the spell has a GP value.)

Kane0
2015-01-02, 06:50 PM
Apologies for casting raise thread, but another question:

If an opponent is immune to 6th level spells or lower, does that include cantrips, like eldritch blast? What about a fireball in a 7th level spell slot?

Jeraa
2015-01-02, 07:04 PM
Apologies for casting raise thread, but another question:

If an opponent is immune to 6th level spells or lower, does that include cantrips, like eldritch blast? What about a fireball in a 7th level spell slot?

Cantrips are 0-level spells, so yes.

Other spells are of a level equal to the slot used to cast them. So a creature immune to 6th level and lower spells is not immune to a fireball cast from a 7th level slot.

Cantrips - simple but powerful spells that characters can cast almost by rote - are level 0.

CASTING A SPELL AT A HIGHER LEVEL
When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting. For instance, if Umara casts magic missile using one of her 2nd-level slots, that magic missile is 2nd level. Effectively, the spell expands to fill the slot it is put into.

pwykersotz
2015-01-02, 11:21 PM
Cantrips are 0-level spells, so yes.

Other spells are of a level equal to the slot used to cast them. So a creature immune to 6th level and lower spells is not immune to a fireball cast from a 7th level slot.

In the case of the Rakshasa, I would agree since there is no further stipulation. But it's case by case, if you look at the text of Globe of Invulnerability.

Globe of Invulnerability
Any spell of 5th level or lower cast from outside the barrier can't affect creatures or objects within it, even if the spell is cast using a higher level spell slot.

mr_odd
2015-01-03, 01:24 PM
In the case of the Rakshasa, I would agree since there is no further stipulation. But it's case by case, if you look at the text of Globe of Invulnerability.

That is a case of a general rule being overruled by a specific one. It isn't necessarily case by case.

pwykersotz
2015-01-03, 01:40 PM
That is a case of a general rule being overruled by a specific one. It isn't necessarily case by case.

I was just saying to look closely at the source of the immunity. It's case-by-case if you're refering to "Magic Immunity to certain spell levels" as a blanket statement. We agree that it is specific trumping general.

Jeraa
2015-01-03, 01:42 PM

I agree. The general rule stats that a spell is of a level equal to the spell slot used to cast it. It is in the chapter dealing with how spells work. (Players Handbook, 201)

Globe of Invulnerability is an exception, and it specifically calls out how it is different.

mr_odd
2015-01-03, 04:01 PM
I was just saying to look closely at the source of the immunity. It's case-by-case if you're refering to "Magic Immunity to certain spell levels" as a blanket statement. We agree that it is specific trumping general.

Ahh, I understand. Sorry to nitpick!