PDA

View Full Version : Looking for TCG on Android

Cikomyr
2014-12-18, 07:06 PM
Hi there. A friend gave me a Magic deck for my birthday recently and it gave me the desire to pick up a nice duel card game for my android, where i can build a deck and fight human opponents and computers, acquiring more cards. Etc...

I know there are Magics video games, but id rather keep separate my IRL card hobbies and video games. However, i wouldnt mind a Magic-like game where there is a multitude of card types that allow for various play styles and combos.

Thanks!!!

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-12-18, 07:24 PM
Well, Hearthstone (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blizzard.wtcg.hearthstone) just came out for Android...

Togath
2014-12-18, 07:30 PM
Hearthstone also just got it's first expansion, so it's a good time to hop in(and the free part doesn't hurt either :3 ).

GloatingSwine
2014-12-18, 07:33 PM
Hearthstone is basically the only sensible answer given how massive it is, ensuring regular opponents and good support for the game.

Togath
2014-12-18, 07:46 PM
Just a heads up: the "arena" always gives at least one booster pack(with chances at a second if you do well), so if you end up liking the play style of it, it can be a good source of cards.

Cikomyr
2014-12-18, 07:56 PM
Looking at Heartstone..

okay. Basically, I get a free Mana-generator every turn. Kind of like this; reduces a bit randomness of the start of the game. I remember a game online that was like Magic, but every turn you had the option of either adding one "land" of your choice, or drawing a card.

But Heartstone seems more straightforward, and faster.

Are there.. you know, enchantments, instants, counter-attacks, equipment, artifacts, etc.. in Heartstone? What is the deck's size range? How many "factions" (a la "color") are there?

Doesn't look half bad.

Seerow
2014-12-18, 08:07 PM
I thought Hearthstone's android release was for tablets only, and only in certain regions. You may want to check on that before getting your heart set on it.

As for number of "colors" I think those are the classes in hearthstone. I don't remember how many of the traditional classes got ported to Hearthstone, but I am pretty sure at least 6-8.

Togath
2014-12-18, 08:11 PM
9 classes.
Deck size is 30 cards, with up to 2 of each.
No instants(to use mtg terms), but there are certain cards you can play that trigger only on your opponent's turn, when they do a certain thing(called secrets).
The other cards types are "spells"(sorceries/enchantments) and "minions"(creatures) and "weapons"(equipment).

Combat works differently from Magic the Gathering, as you can usually attack either the opponent or a minion of theirs, unless they have a "taunt" minion out, which usually needs to be defeated(either destroyed, or it's ability negated) somehow before you can resume attacking them.

GloatingSwine
2014-12-18, 08:21 PM
okay. Basically, I get a free Mana-generator every turn. Kind of like this; reduces a bit randomness of the start of the game. I remember a game online that was like Magic, but every turn you had the option of either adding one "land" of your choice, or drawing a card.

Yeah, your mana pool naturally increases by one each turn up to 10 so there's an "expected" tempo to the game in terms of what people can do on turn x. Some cards can interact with that though (either giving you more permanently, temporarily, or temporarily locking some next turn to do something more powerful this turn).

But Heartstone seems more straightforward, and faster.

It's designed to be faster, but it's also designed to make good use of the fact that it's on computer. Card effects that would be needlessly fiddly in physical games are a doddle to represent on the computer, and Hearthstone makes great use of that.

Are there.. you know, enchantments, instants, counter-attacks, equipment, artifacts, etc.. in Heartstone? What is the deck's size range? How many "factions" (a la "color") are there?

30 cards in a deck. There are nine classes which have class unique cards and which generally have a couple of playstyles they do best at, but there are also a wide range of common cards available to all classes.

Cards basically break down into Weapons, Minions, Secrets, and Spells. The first three are permanents, spells happen and go away unless they are a buff/debuff to a minion.

Weapons are basically the only thing you won't recognise from Magic, they let your hero attack directly.

Minions are the same as in Magic but they track damage inflicted rather than binary live or die (because, again, the computer does the accountancy), and the attacker chooses who attacks what rather than the defender choosing what blocks what.

Secrets are just face down effects which reveal and happen under certain circumstances.

Spells are everything else.

Cikomyr
2014-12-18, 08:48 PM
Woopsy. Apparently the game is not available for android phones...

Someone has a better suggestion? :-P

I've seen something named "epic Cards Battle", looks popular...?