PDA

View Full Version : out of nowhere, "you have 6 seconds to make a wish. go."

bjoern
2014-12-18, 08:29 PM
Had this happen last session. My character found an amulet of something or other which if you make the charisma check you get a wish. DM tweaked it so that I only had 1 round (6 seconds) to make my wish or lose it.

Going to that session that night, getting a wish was the last thing I expected to have to think about.

Knowing my DM, he rules wishes RAW, but ifyour stupid about it hell kill yyou. for example, wishing for a staff of gate is legal RAW but he'd probably kill you or worse.

So I wished for a vest of resistance +5.

Its worth 25k which is the same amount as the non magical price limit of the wish spell, and likely was intended to be the magical item limit as well.

Anyway, if you were presented a wish that you were unprepared for and came out of left field , what would you wish for?

Sith_Happens
2014-12-18, 08:40 PM
(The following is the answer I did in fact come up with within six seconds of reading the thread title:)

"I wish for a Ring of Three Wishes with three rubies remaining."

There, now I have all the time in the world to think about my actual wishes plus I get an extra two for the trouble. Though with more time to think I realize I should have made it a Luck Blade instead.

eggynack
2014-12-18, 08:40 PM
I wish to blow up! I mean like get big!

sideswipe
2014-12-18, 08:42 PM
i wish you had working taste buds in your anus

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-18, 08:42 PM
Unless I'm at -least- level 14 or better I let the opportunity pass. I'm a tad paranoid about "free" wishes.

Now once I'm high enough level that I should be able to reasonably access wish then I'd probably just wish for 2,500pp and call it a day. I can spend that at my leisure and get more than one thing out of it if I need to. The on-the-spot thing is just too little time to decide without screwing yourself up.

Not terribly thrilling, I know, but prudence keeps you alive to reach high levels and keeps you from becoming a really expensive corpse when you get there.

Rubik
2014-12-18, 08:45 PM
If it were me, personally (like, IRL), I'd go for a thought bottle, attuned to me, with 4,000,000,000 of my xp already stored in it.

Technically, it's legal. It's a 20,000 gp item, which is fully within the bounds of said Wish.

Shalist
2014-12-18, 08:45 PM
I wish for a rod that is identical to a typical metamagic rod, save that it changes the duration of any spell cast while holding it to 'instantaneous.'

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-18, 08:47 PM
My immediate first thought for what the wish should be was "I wish I didn't have to make this decision".

Huh.

atemu1234
2014-12-18, 09:05 PM
If it were me, personally (like, IRL), I'd go for a thought bottle, attuned to me, with 4,000,000,000 of my xp already stored in it.

Technically, it's legal. It's a 20,000 gp item, which is fully within the bounds of said Wish.

But also by RAW, aren't you limited to only being capable of gaining up to 1 level and getting up to one experience point less than the one after that with a single gain? Or is thought bottle exempt from this?

Because if not, I may use this.

Blackhawk748
2014-12-18, 09:06 PM
Depending on the Character id probably wish for an upgrade to my weapon or armor. Might go for a cloak of displacement......

IRL? give me 25k in gold pieces. Im not sure what thats actually worth but ill take it.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-18, 09:09 PM
My first thought: levels in wizard. Given that I like cleric more (outside of UM) I have no idea where this came from.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-18, 09:11 PM
IRL? give me 25k in gold pieces. Im not sure what thats actually worth but ill take it.

There's 50 gp to a pound, so you have 500 pounds of gold. That's $8,748,706.28 if you have it in ingots. Probably worth a bit more because they're in coin form, but they're not officially minted coins so not too much more. Platinum actually only gets about tenth as much, because you get one-tenth as many coins and gold and platinum are currently about the same value by weight.

AuraTwilight
2014-12-18, 09:21 PM
"I wish for the Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant!"

Seclora
2014-12-18, 09:25 PM
I wish I was a sentry Living Wish.

Failed Phantasm
2014-12-18, 09:28 PM
The following is the answer I did in fact come up with within six seconds of reading the thread title:

"I wish for a Deck of Many Things!"

I... I don't know why I would do that, though. :smallconfused:

It's not a legal thing to wish for. Also, they tend to end campaigns in dramatic fashion.

Rubik
2014-12-18, 09:32 PM
But also by RAW, aren't you limited to only being capable of gaining up to 1 level and getting up to one experience point less than the one after that with a single gain? Or is thought bottle exempt from this?

Because if not, I may use this.Well, by RAW, it's "restoring" your levels, so technically you're not "gaining" them.

Blackhawk748
2014-12-18, 09:45 PM
There's 50 gp to a pound, so you have 500 pounds of gold. That's $8,748,706.28 if you have it in ingots. Probably worth a bit more because they're in coin form, but they're not officially minted coins so not too much more. Platinum actually only gets about tenth as much, because you get one-tenth as many coins and gold and platinum are currently about the same value by weight.

Holy crap im rich.....I WILL BUY ALL THE 3.5 BOOKS!!!

Rubik
2014-12-18, 09:48 PM
Holy crap im rich.....I WILL BUY ALL THE 3.5 BOOKS!!!According to this website, (coinmill.com/USD_XAU.html#XAU=8000) it's worth $9,594,807.19 as of today.

Krobar
2014-12-18, 09:48 PM
I wish for everyone everywhere to know that I am the greatest swordsman of all time.

Rubik
2014-12-18, 09:50 PM
I wish for everyone everywhere to know that I am the greatest swordsman of all time.*Casts Dominate Person*

Sorry, but even fighter 20 is still T4.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-18, 09:51 PM
*Casts Dominate Person*

He said "greatest swordsman." Naturally he's an arcane swordsage.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-12-18, 09:54 PM
*Casts Dominate Person*

He said "greatest swordsman." Naturally he's an arcane swordsage.

Bah, you're both wrong. He never said he wanted to be the greatest swordsman, just for people to be informed of it.

I wish for pie.

I guess that means I have 25k gp worth of pie.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-18, 09:58 PM
Bah, you're both wrong. He never said he wanted to be the greatest swordsman, just for people to be informed of it.

But I just knew... in my heart... that he was the greatest swordsman. Curse you Hiro!

Blackhawk748
2014-12-18, 10:02 PM
But I just knew... in my heart... that he was the greatest swordsman.

Holy crap it worked!!

Kane0
2014-12-18, 10:25 PM
I wish that all your base are belong to us.

Rubik
2014-12-18, 10:32 PM
Bah, you're both wrong. He never said he wanted to be the greatest swordsman, just for people to be informed of it.And now he's a target for anyone of unsound morals who desires a meatshield and doesn't want to bother with setting up a Magic Circle for Planar Binding.

Sith_Happens
2014-12-18, 10:39 PM
And now he's a target for anyone of unsound morals who desires a meatshield and doesn't want to bother with setting up a Magic Circle for Planar Binding.

Jokes on them when he fails to meatshield properly just when they need him to.:smallwink:

Raven777
2014-12-18, 10:59 PM
Off the top of my head, it's always "eternal life!" that comes up. But I'm genre savvy enough to know that would be a terrible, terrible idea.

Rubik
2014-12-18, 11:06 PM
Jokes on them when he fails to meatshield properly just when they need him to.:smallwink:It's a bit late for him, by then, unfortunately.

Off the top of my head, it's always "eternal life!" that comes up. But I'm genre savvy enough to know that would be a terrible, terrible idea.Which is why I'd just take Wedded to History or find some other way to gain immortality, which is fairly easy, if you know your way around D&D.

Curmudgeon
2014-12-18, 11:11 PM
The best safe wish I can think of is a +1 inherent boost to some ability. It'll have to be an ability you haven't already improved due to Wish's limitation in that respect, but this seems both resistant to twisting and effective. (You can get additional boosts via Miracle, which doesn't have Wish's limitation.)

malonkey1
2014-12-18, 11:38 PM
"I wish for 30 additional wishes under the same constraints, made consecutively after this wish has finished being delineated."

"I wish for increased Strength." x5
"I wish for increased Dexterity." x5
"I wish for increased Constitution." x5
"I wish for increased Intelligence." x5
"I wish for increased Charisma." x5
"I wish for increased Wisdom." x5

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-18, 11:49 PM
"Oh god, only six seconds?! I wish I had more time!"

Uhhh... Crap.

Samhain
2014-12-18, 11:59 PM
If your DM is rules-centric then be safe and wish for the money; ideally worded thus, "I wish for the entire power of this magic to be directed towards creating a commensurate amount of unguarded wealth which appears safely within my immediate vicinity."

If your DM is story-centric just ask for a mulligan. Let him know OOC that your wish is that the next time your party would TPK, instead time rewinds to a moment of his choosing and you guys can try again (with full knowledge of your failure.) Lots of story there, keeps the game moving, and the characters get to have the fun time of dealing with the fact that they totally failed the first time... do they try again? Do they run away? Do the gods of death come searching for their souls? Lots of great story. A story DM will always work with you to make that kind of wish happen.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-19, 01:10 AM
According to this website, (coinmill.com/USD_XAU.html#XAU=8000) it's worth $9,594,807.19 as of today.

I think that may be a math error; an ounce of gold is actually a troy ounce, and there are 14.533 of those in one pound. Thus, 500 pounds is actually only 7,291.667 troy ounces, which is what that site is most likely asking for.

Darkweave31
2014-12-19, 02:47 AM
I wish for [insert infinite wish loop here]

ben-zayb
2014-12-19, 05:04 AM
Talking is a free action, so eh...

Scipio_77
2014-12-19, 05:21 AM
I'd probably just wish for a stat (inherent bonus). Not very exciting, but it works and it scales with any future loot.

hewhosaysfish
2014-12-19, 07:16 AM
"Oh god, only six seconds?! I wish I had more time!"

Uhhh... Crap.

My first thought on reading the title was "I wish to be offered another wish in 24 hours..."

A jerkass genie could give me a scroll of wish (24 hours later), I guess, and force me to find a wizard/someone with UMD.

I am puzzled, though, as to why the OP only had 6 seconds to make the wish. I assume it was 6 seconds after making the charisma check to activate the item but if you knew what the item did beforehand then surely you would have all the time you need to think of the wish before making the charisma check.

Kol Korran
2014-12-19, 09:34 AM
"A pet, that doesn't die, or get sick, or get lost!" Was my first instinct. :smalltongue:

Our group never got to such high levels that Wish was an issue, and it never came up, so I tried to answer this without knowing the limits. Soem quick thoughts came up:

As a character I think it would be entirely dependent on the situation- something to help the current problem, or to fix something that has gone bad.

But if lets say it was just a random character? My first reaction was "I'd like a really funky, awesome and unexpected rod of wonder".

Yes, I too like to live dangerously! :smallamused: (I just love some random stuff at times)

sideswipe
2014-12-19, 09:37 AM
"A pet, that doesn't die, or get sick, or get lost!" Was my first instinct. :smalltongue:

Our group never got to such high levels that Wish was an issue, and it never came up, so I tried to answer this without knowing the limits. Soem quick thoughts came up:

As a character I think it would be entirely dependent on the situation- something to help the current problem, or to fix something that has gone bad.

But if lets say it was just a random character? My first reaction was "I'd like a really funky, awesome and unexpected rod of wonder".

Yes, I too like to live dangerously! :smallamused: (I just love some random stuff at times)

there is a greater rod of wonder i think, it had all the normal stuff then if you rolled above 90 i think it had a bunch of rarer and greater effects. though i cant seem to locate it, havent tried very hard honestly

Taveena
2014-12-19, 09:51 AM
I would likely panic and go with the bizarrely pervasive thought that's been bouncing around in my head for the last couple of weeks.

"Three hundred rabid badgers."

I feel this would end poorly for me.

Nightraiderx
2014-12-19, 10:00 AM
-waits till 6 seconds are up- oh I'm not falling for that one. :smallannoyed:

better to be alive than to be rushed and dead.

Last time I did that I wished to fly, and so my arms became wings and I couldn't dual wield my katana's anymore.

StoneCipher
2014-12-19, 10:26 AM
I'd wish for a sphere of annihilation to be placed at the center of the planet.

Campaign over.

thematgreen
2014-12-19, 10:39 AM
My standard wish is:

I wish I could grant my own wishes without limit with results based on MY interpretation and meaning!

Xelbiuj
2014-12-19, 10:55 AM
My first thought on reading the title was "I wish to be offered another wish in 24 hours..."

A jerkass genie could give me a scroll of wish (24 hours later), I guess, and force me to find a wizard/someone with UMD.

Or you'd meet a devil offering you a wish.
I'd just make sure to point out a shooting star if you were outside at night in that 24 hour period, without specifically telling you to make a wish.

Der_DWSage
2014-12-19, 11:17 AM
And now for 'Vaguely Related Tales of D&D Sessions.'

Not quite as constrained an instance, but there was once a Chaotic Evil racist (IE, Ranger with Favored Enemy(Elf) and a mild chip on his shoulder) gentleman who got a free Wish from a Balor, with the stipulation that it would be granted at a random time, when it amused the Balor most. The player was okay with this, for reasons due to alignment and because it was sure to be amusing.

Fast forward a few months. The party is in a dungeon. They've had to scrape the Rogue off the walls due to...circumstances beyond their control, and they're now staring down a hallway that is visibly glowing with magic, likely trapped to high heaven, and filled to the brim with telltale signs of traps. Just summoning a disposable trap monkey won't help here, oh no-they need about fifty, and then another ten just to be sure.

The Chaotic Evil one says to himself, "Man, I wish I could summon about a hundred Elves for this."

Bloodshed on a massive scale happens. There are few survivors, including the Ranger himself.

Anyway, where was I? Oh, right. The wish. 'I wish for the ability to summon a delicious sandwich whenever I say the words 'I could use a sandwich.'' While not a safe wish, at least it's an amusing one.

dysprosium
2014-12-19, 11:22 AM
there is a greater rod of wonder i think, it had all the normal stuff then if you rolled above 90 i think it had a bunch of rarer and greater effects. though i cant seem to locate it, havent tried very hard honestly

Ask and ye shall receive! (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060807a)

Venom3053000
2014-12-19, 01:27 PM
I wish a Dnd 3.5 edition Solar would be my best friend and vist daily

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-19, 01:33 PM
I wish a Dnd 3.5 edition Solar would be my best friend and vist daily

Granted! Unfortunately, he's an abusive friend who always borrows money and asks you to drive him to the airport!

Exegesis
2014-12-19, 02:04 PM
To be a lich.

Wait! No! Partial fulfillment! No, make me a necropolitan!

No stat raise and can be bought.

LoyalPaladin
2014-12-19, 02:07 PM
Mine was "I wish I didn't have a level adjustment..." but then I realized my DM is crafty and would probably turn me into an elf or something. Goodbye awesome Aasimar.

Venom3053000
2014-12-19, 02:23 PM
Granted! Unfortunately, he's an abusive friend who always borrows money and asks you to drive him to the airport!

HA HA

Jokes on him

am broke all the time and don't have a car! :smallcool:

:smallfrown:

NichG
2014-12-19, 02:34 PM
In a game, "Give me something interesting." DMs don't expect it, and good DMs will use it as an opportunity to inject plot-hooks into the game.

IRL, it'd probably be something like "Take me to where and when this was created."

Krobar
2014-12-19, 06:10 PM

I wish for pie.

I guess that means I have 25k gp worth of pie.

Exactly. My character that used that wish in a game was actually a bard.

It provided lots of role playing hilarity which was my goal.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-19, 06:12 PM
Mine was "I wish I didn't have a level adjustment..." but then I realized my DM is crafty and would probably turn me into an elf or something. Goodbye awesome Aasimar.

Granted! You are now a half-elf!

In a game, "Give me something interesting." DMs don't expect it, and good DMs will use it as an opportunity to inject plot-hooks into the game.

Granted!

Here is your new copy of the Big Book of Prolapsed Rectums!

LoyalPaladin
2014-12-19, 06:18 PM
Granted! You are now a half-elf!
I'd actually prefer that to Elf haha.

Granted!

Here is your new copy of the Big Book of Prolapsed Rectums!
O-Oh... I uh... I need an adult?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-19, 06:21 PM
O-Oh... I uh... I need an adult?

I am an adult. :belkar:

Judge_Worm
2014-12-19, 06:39 PM
1st thought: "I wish for more wishes!"
2nd thought: "I wish for an enthralled Efreeti."

Hopefully it's enthralled to me, or the first wish was viable.

thematgreen
2014-12-19, 06:48 PM
I got three wishes that the DM apparently wasn't paying attention to.

The DM was being very hard on us as a group, using RAW and RAI so that everything went for him and against the party. It got to the point where the fighter dropped his sword while ethereal on a roll of 1 and it was still etheral and fell through the ground and was gone forever. (Houserule rolls of 1 have nasty results).

It was frustrating, but he was a good storyteller and he wasn't always like that so we stayed. It also helped he was the only game in the area at that time.

In preperation for using three wishes I had been granted by that campaigns god of magic for saving said gods divine essence without trying to absorb it to become a god, I had written a very long document, around 10 pages of legalese to avoid any loopholes in DM vs Player wish granting. I had a close friend who was a lawyer (and still is, I guess, he moved away and we lost touch) who was a gamer in a different group help me make it.

The gist of the wishes are below:

Wish 1:
I wish this wish and my next two wishes would be granted by with MY interpretation and meaning, and without any interference or twisting of the letter or spirit of this wish and the next two wishes. My wishes will be granted exactly as I mean them, to both the spirit and the letter.

Wish 2:
I wish I could grant my own wishes and the wishes of those I choose to grant wishes for without any limit on number of wishes or restrictions on what can and cannot be granted and that I am not bound by limitations such as those stated in my first wish and that this ability does not change my race, class, abilities or powers beyond the ability to grant my own wishes and the wishes of others I choose to grant wishes for and that I cannot be compelled to grant wishes so that I am the only one that can choose to grant said wishes.

Wish 3:
I wish that my ability to grant my wishes and the wishes I choose to help is not able to be removed by any means or any power or ability, including other wish spells so that there is no possible way to have my power to grant my own wishes and the wishes of those I choose to grant wishes for.

My GM had supposedly been listening closely and went "Granted!" after each wish, granting each of them. I offered him the "contract" and he declined, saying it was fine.

I didn't say anything until later we were jumped by some weird homebrewed Black Dragon Zombie thing and I yelled "I wish it would just go away and leave everyone alone!". The GM laughed until I handed him the very long document, which covered the wishes he had allowed to be granted. He spent about 15 minutes reading it, then trying to figure out how to mess with me but nothing could get around the contract his god had agreed to except DM shenanigans, which he avoided doing.

The gaming session went along about as well as you could expect when a player can naysay a DM about anything they don't like.

The next session he asked to see my character sheet and handed me a new one, saying that my previous character had been recognized as a divine being and was now an NPC, the god of trickery. My new PC was the same as the old but had a fault that he was not allowed to make wishes unless they were specifically to ressurrect someone or something simple like that, but that they would always be granted as I intended, no shenanigans.

Tvtyrant
2014-12-19, 07:01 PM
I wish Malcanthet was in love with me.

Even if I die rapidly I would at least live an exciting life.

Renen
2014-12-19, 07:44 PM
I wish I had a candle of invocation...

Yahzi
2014-12-19, 10:48 PM
My standard wish is "FTL!" (Faster than light travel).

But that's probably worth more than 25K gold.

kellbyb
2014-12-20, 12:19 AM
I wish Malcanthet was in love with me.

Even if I die rapidly I would at least live an exciting life.

How about Sune or Mystra instead?

Tvtyrant
2014-12-20, 02:40 AM
How about Sune or Mystra instead?

I would feel bad doing that to them. All else aside, I would die really soon compared to them.

Esprit15
2014-12-20, 02:42 AM
"I wish I had this wish but a more reasonable amount of time for it."

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-20, 02:56 AM
"I wish I had this wish but a more reasonable amount of time for it."

Granted!

You shall have plenty of time to ponder your wish... WHILE YOU ARE FROZEN IN CARBONITE FOR ETERNITY!

bigerxman
2014-12-20, 02:45 PM
My first wish thought was" to have a young deathless half warforged body with the living construct subtype" deathless being better than undead, and living construct making it more fun to play imo.

irl I would go default wish, to gain the power to grant wishes without limitation, or consequence to myself.( a free geenie)

Fitz10019
2014-12-20, 07:41 PM
Wasn't there a video where the wish/punchline was something like this?
"I wish to be immune to all sexual diseases, and to have no standards whatsoever in choosing sexual partners." = the key to happiness

Rubik
2014-12-20, 08:18 PM
"I wish to be immune to all sexual diseases, and to have no standards whatsoever in choosing sexual partners." = the key to happinessYour child support bills will be enormous.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-20, 08:47 PM
"I wish to be immune to all sexual diseases, and to have no standards whatsoever in choosing sexual partners." = the key to happiness

Why would that be they key to happiness?

the_david
2014-12-20, 08:58 PM
Depending on the Character id probably wish for an upgrade to my weapon or armor. Might go for a cloak of displacement......

$8.7 million for 500 pounds of gold. Not a bad wish.

malonkey1
2014-12-20, 08:58 PM

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Theater.

Link is here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT1nVisnK7U)

Ravens_cry
2014-12-20, 09:04 PM
♪I wish to be the very best, the best there ever was . . .♫

Failed Phantasm
2014-12-20, 09:07 PM
How about... Mystra instead?

Pass. Elminster's already tapped that. *shudder*

kellbyb
2014-12-20, 09:52 PM
Pass. Elminster's already tapped that. *shudder*

He's a pretty chill dude. I don't think he'd mind.

Johnmakuta
2014-12-20, 09:57 PM
Cast all arcane spells with no spell failure from armor.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-20, 11:22 PM
Cast all arcane spells with no spell failure from armor.

The Wish prevents you from ever wearing armor again. There you go, no more failure chance from armor.

malonkey1
2014-12-21, 12:26 AM
The Wish prevents you from ever wearing armor again. There you go, no more failure chance from armor.

but he also now has access to all arcane spells.

Sith_Happens
2014-12-21, 07:05 AM
I would feel bad doing that to them. All else aside, I would die really soon compared to them.

Not if they had anything to say about it, which they would.