PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Ride skill as a 9th level wizard without losing CL?

Abrahadabra
2014-12-18, 10:59 PM
So, we're kind of "celebrating" a visit from a friend who moved out with a very short 9th level campaign. I've been thinking about a Thunder Lance mounted wizard, probably with a Sacred Exorcist level just to get Divine Strength. And I was picking a mount (probably ACF'ing familiar for a dire hawk companion, since I hate the large size limitations) when I realized, hey, I don't have Ride...

And then I went searching for it. You know, ctrl+F on all my completes. And I just couldn't find any PrCs that have Ride and wouldn't make me lose a caster level. The only exception was Abjurant Champion - but the +5 BAB requirement screwed me over. Google didn't work either, apparently no one appreciates the idea of a mounted book reader :smallannoyed: So I have to ask you guys: do you know of any way around all this? Maybe a higher BAB for earlier entry into abj champ. Or just straight acquiring Ride. Anything?

Snowbluff
2014-12-18, 11:03 PM
9th level? You can lose a CL. Human Paragon.

If not, here's a list of alternatives. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0) It includes feats.

MilesTiden
2014-12-18, 11:06 PM
I like that the 'list of alternatives' has nothing relating to Ride. :smalltongue:

Anyways, the Zhentarim Skymage PRC should work, 3/4 BAB, full casting, Ride as a class skill, and gives you a free flying mount of HD = Skymage Level + 1/2 other classes + Cha + 1. Great fun, though you might have to handwave the fluff requirements.

Abrahadabra
2014-12-18, 11:11 PM
9th level? You can lose a CL. Human Paragon.

If not, here's a list of alternatives. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0) It includes feats.

I really don't want to lose that CL though :( There are many options that make me lose a CL, but I think it would be pretty bad for me.

I've checked that list, no options for Ride :smallfrown:

Snowbluff
2014-12-18, 11:13 PM
Under "all skills" there are 2 options.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-12-18, 11:14 PM
I like that the 'list of alternatives' has nothing relating to Ride. :smalltongue:

Skilled City Dweller (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) can trade Ride for Tumble as a class skill, so it would stand to reason that you can reverse that and trade Tumble for Ride. Apprentice (martial artist) in DMG2 or Martial Study (desert wind) in ToB can accomplish this.

Abrahadabra
2014-12-18, 11:18 PM

Anyways, the Zhentarim Skymage PRC should work, 3/4 BAB, full casting, Ride as a class skill, and gives you a free flying mount of HD = Skymage Level + 1/2 other classes + Cha + 1. Great fun, though you might have to handwave the fluff requirements.

That's a cool class. Pretty heavy requirements, but it's the best option I've seen so far, thanks. Any other ideas?

Snowbluff
2014-12-18, 11:23 PM
It's short, right? Can you get that in sorcerer? The Cha will held your mount's HD.

Abrahadabra
2014-12-18, 11:29 PM
Options that require negotiating with the DM can be a bit tough for me. He's not very fond of wizards and would probably say something like "why are you asking me for stuff? Wizards are gods, figure it out by yourself". :smalltongue:

@Snowbluff edit: The thing about sorcerers is that, in practice, I'm still losing a CL, right? No 5th level spells and all. Because the problem isn't really the actual CL, just access to spells. But indeed, higher CHA would be nice. I would probably forget about those mounts and use a medium one like a dire hawk though, large sizes are annoying.

Snowbluff
2014-12-18, 11:37 PM
Holy crap, you're right. Sorry, I'm in oracle mode after tonights PF session. :smalltongue:

Zubrowka74
2014-12-19, 11:32 AM
Speaking of Pathfinder, there's a trait called Cavalry Rider (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/lastwall-cavalry-rider-regional)...

WeaselGuy
2014-12-19, 11:56 AM
I know there's something out there that can help you out, I'm still working on finding it though. You can drop cross-class skill points into it as you go, getting it up to 6 ranks by level 9 (or more if you hit Zhent Skymage, as mentioned earlier). Additionally, you can get a Battle Bridle for 5k, gives +5 to ride, and mounted combat as a bonus feat, or riding boots for 12k, gives +5 to ride, and some other stuff. I suggest checking out this awesome thread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7414) on brilliantgameolgists, specifically the section on mounted spellcasting, which I will copy/paste in a spoiler below...

Mounted combat (spellcasting)
The biggest obstacle to any wannabe cavalry mage is that it's hard to focus on a spell while being jostled about. Your mount must take no more than one move action per turn, so that you can do your thing before or after it's done. Otherwise, you have to make a Concentration check or lose the spell.

If you use a lot of spells requiring ranged attack rolls, the advice in the ranged combat section also applies to you. Given that this increases the feat investment needed to pull the combat style off, it's recommended that you don't learn/prepare many such spells. You can take the hit to accuracy in many cases since you roll vs touch AC, but who knows when you might have to cast a spell while running?

Items
Steadying RobeCM: You no longer have to make Concentration checks to cast spells while being jostled around. And for only 1,000gp? Very nice. By item-stacking rules you could make this slotless for 2,000gp, in case you're a gish who doesn't want a robe taking up his armour slot. Otherwise, most robes can be crafted as cloaks without an increase in price.
Feats
Mounted CastingMiniHB: You gain a +10 bonus on Concentration checks made to cast spells while mounted. Nice, but pointless if you can get Mounted Spellcasting instead. Due to the wording, however, you might be able to interpret this as a bonus to all spellcasting-related Concentration checks (including casting spells while taking damage), as long as you are on a horse while you make them.
Mounted SpellcastingWeb: Superior to Mounted Casting, this feat lets you cast spells while mounted without having to make Concentration checks for movement. Requires 5 ranks in Concentration though, so you'll have to wait until 2nd level.
Classes
Arcane Heirophant: Dual-progression arcane/druid, lets you combine your familiar and animal companion.
Knight Phantom5N: Gish class - see melee section.
Silverwood ArcanistWeb: Requires Wild Cohort. Grants faster handling, Mounted Spellcasting as a bonus feat, and Share Spells. Full spellcasting advancement.
Zhentarim SkymageLoD: *snorts milk out nose* This would be powerful even without the mount it gives you... which can be basically anything. Oh, and you can share spells both ways, meaning that you can ride a dragon and have him share his buffs with you.

Valtu
2014-12-19, 12:52 PM
If you're human there's the Able Learner feat from Races of Destiny. It lets you purchase all skills with one rank, whether cross-class or not. The only limitation that remains is max skill ranks you can put into it.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, though.

Ashtagon
2014-12-19, 12:58 PM
How many ranks do you actually *need*? If it's just one rank to count as trained, pay the cross-class penalty of a single skill point and be done with it.

Rebel7284
2014-12-19, 01:05 PM
If you play a dragonwraught desert kobold, you can get that level of sorcerer back with a feat and a ritual. Still not as flexible as a wizard in the long run, but may actually be better for a short one-shot!

Edit: Just realized that with the heavy prerequisites of Zhentarim Skymage, you would need flaws for this approach.

Note that you can get Iron Will from a magical location for 3000GP. Well worth the price!

Edit2: Battle Bridle gives you another one of those feats. :D

A.A.King
2014-12-19, 06:26 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Silverwood Arcanist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031209a) yet. Not only does it get Ride as a class skill, it retroactively changes Ride into a class skill. Also, since you'll be using Wild Cohort you can keep your familiar (or trade it for some other perk).

MilesTiden
2014-12-19, 07:15 PM
Ooh, good find. I always forget that article.

Abrahadabra
2014-12-19, 08:03 PM
That Silverwood Arcanist is really nice, I'll be using it in the future.

Anyways, I was able to solve the problem with the Skill Knowledge feat from UA, from Snowbluff's link, so thanks, dude :smallbiggrin:

MilesTiden
2014-12-19, 08:30 PM
Actually, that feat is for an entire different skill system, detailed here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm). By default, the feat is not available in a normal d&d skill system, however, if your DM's okay with it you can houserule otherwise. If you've already gotten that taken care of, just ignore me, but I figured I should bring it up anyways.

Gnome Alone
2014-12-20, 12:19 AM
Is the Ride skill really so important that you couldn't just rely on cross-class ranks and a Dex bonus? I mean geez, every wizard I've ever made has kinda had more skill points than they know what to do with anyway.

Abrahadabra
2014-12-20, 02:32 PM
Is the Ride skill really so important that you couldn't just rely on cross-class ranks and a Dex bonus? I mean geez, every wizard I've ever made has kinda had more skill points than they know what to do with anyway.

I don't know, it probably is, I'm a sort of knight. I mean, mounted on a dire hawk, charging with thunderlance for the fun :smallbiggrin:

Shame it isn't a real lance though. 3x would be cool

Curmudgeon
2014-12-20, 04:11 PM
Skilled City Dweller (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) can trade Ride for Tumble as a class skill, so it would stand to reason that you can reverse that and trade Tumble for Ride.
It would make sense if you could point to an Unskilled Rural Rube ACF. :smallwink:

Greenish
2014-12-20, 10:22 PM
It would make sense if you could point to an Unskilled Rural Rube ACF. :smallwink:It would be in the web enhancement for Farmscape.

ShurikVch
2014-12-22, 04:10 PM
Also, Ride is class skill for Harper Mage, Raumathari Battlemage, and Wearer of Purple

And Lion of Talisid, if you can get summon nature’s ally II

If you have access to Dragon magazines, one level dip in Infused Spellcaster (#321) or Tainted Spellcaster (#302) may do the trick