PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Emulating Sion

Val666
2014-12-19, 12:06 AM
Hell-o guys. It's been a while since I post something but a friend is starting a game in 2 days and he asked me to join
because I know the game and this is new people. Well, today im asking you guys to help me emulate a champion from League of Legends called Sion, The Undead Juggernaut:

http://i.imgur.com/5ckLBFG.jpg

Well basically, this guy is a Frenzied Berserker. One of his abilities allows him to continue fighting when he dies, which can be emulated with Deathless Frenzy. The others abilities are: A big bad strike that knockup enemies which I think Knockdown + Power Attack could fit. A Scream that slows and reduces armor, a Protective Bloodshield and a Unstoppable Charge (like...full power attack, leap attack poucing charge). Uhm..maybe some guys may think that it actually cover all the basic stuff I want but I know in this forum there always hidden little secret overfreakingwhelming things that make builds kind of unique. Im looking for that. So guys, please help me to polish this build (I mean...there's no build up there, just Frenzied Berserker) so I can be the Meatshield Juggernaut of the party. By the way, everything is allowed including Dragon Magazines but I'd like the stay away from psionics. Starting level: 1 for the moment

Renen
2014-12-19, 01:04 AM
I can never understand why people want to fully emulate some random characters from other franchises.
At level 1 theres no way you'd be able to do this all.
Further on, with some refluffing, most of this can be done, but no one in the game you are playing is likely to get the reference, and if they do they'll see it as a knockoff.

Blood shield for example, can be any number of "gain temp hp" spells made inst SLA for example. And fluffed to look like the blood ord around him...

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-19, 01:06 AM
Some way to get Shout as a spell-like would pretty perfectly emulate his scream.

Also, I am fully behind statting out LoL characters. I have just recently gotten into that game and have been automatically trying to figure out how to build various champions.

Psyren
2014-12-19, 09:34 AM
Is this from back when they were a DotA mod? It looks like they just palette-swapped Grom Hellscream and called it a day :smallconfused:

Anyway, I'm sure there's a way to make an undead barbarian orc floating around out there.

Xerlith
2014-12-19, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure an Evil Crusader would work. :smallbiggrin:

Val666
2014-12-19, 10:44 AM
I can never understand why people want to fully emulate some random characters from other franchises.
Further on, with some refluffing, most of this can be done, but no one in the game you are playing is likely to get the reference, and if they do they'll see it as a knockoff.

Ouch.

Some way to get Shout as a spell-like would pretty perfectly emulate his scream.

Also, I am fully behind statting out LoL characters. I have just recently gotten into that game and have been automatically trying to figure out how to build various champions.

Cool! if you'd like to discuss something about the game/champion builds message me :v

Is this from back when they were a DotA mod? It looks like they just palette-swapped Grom Hellscream and called it a day :smallconfused:

Anyway, I'm sure there's a way to make an undead barbarian orc floating around out there.

Hahahaha yeah, when Sion's rework came out I thought, "Is this guy from the iron horde?"

I'm pretty sure an Evil Crusader would work. :smallbiggrin:

Uhmmm interesting...the problem is that Sion is more like a...savage? I mean, I could totally play a savage crusader but still...I don't get the feel

Blackhawk748
2014-12-19, 01:21 PM
Im gonna say this now, get Unholy Toughness, ASAP. If your an Undead Barbarian your Rage works off of your Cha now (i believe that was in a Dragon Mag) and you NEED HP. The problem is there arent a lot of ways to get that, but im sure people here are more knowledgeable than me on how to do so.

Second, Sion's Scream could simply be Intimidate with Never Outnumbered and standard Intimidate specializing. Then Grab one level of Lion Spirit Totem and hop on into Frenzied Berserker (be sure your party has marbles)

On a non RAW note you may be able to convince your DM to let you take Unholy Toughness as a Feat, mine did i just had to take Toughness as a Pre Req. Worth It.

Edit: Also being a Half Ogre is probably a good plan.

Renen
2014-12-19, 03:02 PM
Ouch.

sorry. I just dont like when players are unoriginal. Its fine to play a character that is inspired by something, but trying to completely imitate something isnt something im a fan of.

ComaVision
2014-12-19, 03:11 PM
sorry. I just dont like when players are unoriginal. Its fine to play a character that is inspired by something, but trying to completely imitate something isnt something im a fan of.

Meh. I've never played a character like that but I've built tons. I'd probably bore myself in a long-term campaign but it'd be fun for a shorter one. It's just an excercise in the flexibility of the system.

I've also played in games with rip-off characters and it didn't bother me much. Asides from needing to not use my meta-game knowledge of the character's abilities/traits, what's the difference?

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-19, 03:14 PM

Hey, sometimes we just want to play a dual-scimitar-wielding drow with a pet panther and a hatred for orcs.

ComaVision
2014-12-19, 03:17 PM
Hey, sometimes we just want to play a dual-scimitar-wielding drow with a pet panther and a hatred for orcs.

*gag*

I'm almost on Renen's side now.

Renen
2014-12-19, 03:27 PM

Mmm... thats pretty specific. Though id guess unless he had all abilities a certain other drow did, it wont be a TOTAL copy. But it seems im not alone in disliking complete copies :D

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-19, 03:30 PM

Is that a League of Legends Character?

Psyren
2014-12-19, 03:30 PM

It's not so much imitation as translation. Realizing a concept from another game (or medium) does take creativity and skill.

Drizz't is a poor analogy because he's already a D&D character - finding stats for him takes no effort at all, and indeed some 3.5 items were put into core solely for his benefit (e.g. figurine of wondrous power.)

LoyalPaladin
2014-12-19, 03:31 PM
Isn't that load-out standard issue (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0044.html) for drows?

Coidzor
2014-12-19, 06:43 PM
Uhmmm interesting...the problem is that Sion is more like a...savage? I mean, I could totally play a savage crusader but still...I don't get the feel

You wanna pull off something weird like converting a character from the very different concerns and aesthetics of a MOBA into a PNP RPG system which is notoriously futzy and you're turning your nose up at the tools that might let you do it? :smalltongue:

Night of the Living Dizz't Clones! Play as a plucky group of Orcs and Half-Orcs defending their people against an ever-encroaching horde of drow!

And the worst part, everyone they kill becomes one of them!

Tulya
2014-12-20, 01:54 AM

To be fair, you wouldn't be able to do all of that at level 1 in League of Legends, either.

Xerlith
2014-12-20, 06:10 AM

A Chaotic Evil Crusader?

You wanna pull off something weird like converting a character from the very different concerns and aesthetics of a MOBA into a PNP RPG system which is notoriously futzy and you're turning your nose up at the tools that might let you do it? :smalltongue:
!
Basically, this.

In all seriousness though, you should be able to get this sion feel via a Crusader, really. You get the Charge maneuvers (ult), you get Die Hard and Immortal Fortitude Stance (passive). W would actually be the delayed damage pool/furious counterstrike (not quite what you want, but it's close), and grab either a level-two of Swordsage or a couple feats to emulate E.
Q is basically every possible Stone Dragon strike.

paperarmor
2014-12-20, 09:43 AM
Spell-Stitched Necropolitian Half-Orc Barbarian 1/ Dungeoncrasher fighter 6/ frenzied berserker 10/ Barbarian 3

get unholy toughness and talk your dm into letting half orcs count as human (Its in races of destiny) to take the Jotunbrud feat which lets you count as large for opposed rolls and ask if it will qualify you for Knockback. Then take the usual ubercharger set up and as suggested above try and get the DM to let you rage off of CHA instead of CON. It takes some set up though but youll eventually get there.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-20, 10:08 AM
When people say "get unholy toughness", does that mean that there's some feat somewhere that lets an undead get Cha to HP? Because I thought the only way to get cha to hp as a PC was 10 levels in walker in the waste...

Blackhawk748
2014-12-20, 12:23 PM
When people say "get unholy toughness", does that mean that there's some feat somewhere that lets an undead get Cha to HP? Because I thought the only way to get cha to hp as a PC was 10 levels in walker in the waste...

As far as im aware that is the only RAW way to do it, which is why we recommend asking your DM if you can take it as a feat.

Val666
2014-12-20, 06:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! I have a better idea of what I want now. I'll talk about Unholy Toughness cuz DM is doing a lot of homebrew stuff. Again thanks everyone, good day, merry christmas, happy new year, go get some alcohol :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:D:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v :v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v:v

herrhauptmann
2014-12-20, 07:00 PM
How high a level do you expect to reach? Given that you're starting at level 1, it may not be possible to do most of the ideas.

If you go for the intimidate route: Handbook. http://web.archive.org/web/20120520034053/http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0
Fighter9 with Zhentarim substitution levels, intimidate as a swift action. (Champions of valor web) You also get a butt-ton of feats. Perhaps enough to start on the ubercharger path. Leap attack, Shocktrooper, then combat brute.

The shout thing could also be the feat Dark Speech which has a bunch of effects, and has some followup feats. Sources? BoVD, Fiendish Codex, and Elder Evils.

I don't know what you mean by knockup, but the Warhulk prc may help you out if you're Large. You'll do more damage per attack, but get fewer attacks overall; which you can partially counter with the SKillful enchantment in Complete Arcane. Save the skillful weapon for Level 5 of warhulk unless you want to get an exotic like the Spiked chain without spending a feat.

georgie_leech
2014-12-22, 04:17 AM
I don't know what you mean by knockup, but the Warhulk prc may help you out if you're Large. You'll do more damage per attack, but get fewer attacks overall; which you can partially counter with the SKillful enchantment in Complete Arcane. Save the skillful weapon for Level 5 of warhulk unless you want to get an exotic like the Spiked chain without spending a feat.

In League, Knockup is a kind of crowd control that flings the target into the air, related to knockback. For most purposes it acts like Stun (no inputs for X seconds), but Tenacity (a general CC reducer) doesn't reduce the duration, and a few mechanics interact with it differently.

We now return you to regularly scheduled discussion on Unholy Toughness and the wisdom of emulating characters from other media.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-22, 04:12 PM
In League, Knockup is a kind of crowd control that flings the target into the air, related to knockback. For most purposes it acts like Stun (no inputs for X seconds), but Tenacity (a general CC reducer) doesn't reduce the duration, and a few mechanics interact with it differently.

It also doesn't last as long, and thus isn't as damn annoying as being Stunned is...

georgie_leech
2014-12-22, 09:11 PM
It also doesn't last as long, and thus isn't as damn annoying as being Stunned is...

Also is frequently AoE, and several Champs can get quite the duration (Janna q fully charged for instance, or Yasuo combo-ing with any source of knockup), but yes, usually shorter duration to balance out the inability to defend against it like Stuns. There's no particular hard and fast rule for this difference mind you, but stylistic differences are important too, yes.