PDA

View Full Version : Materials & Equipment

Cyussu
2014-12-19, 02:20 AM
So I've spent a couple days scouring the internet trying to find out whether or not you can combine different metallic or wooden material types, not including Metallic AND Wooden in 1 object.

Examples: Glowsteel & Bloodsteel, Adamantite & Starmetal, or Cold Iron & Fadesteel.

If needed, I can list each of their respective stats and the url for where I got the metals from.

Chronikoce
2014-12-19, 04:30 AM
I've never come across any rules for this.

If you work from basic information about alloys, the two metals need to be soluable as liquids at the very least. The real issue I see with this is that creating alloys is NOT going to result in a new metal with the combined properties of the old. In most cases the newly created alloy is stronger or has completely different properties than the original ingredients.

This means that mixing metals would require DM adjudication unless you manage to find some reference in game.

Khedrac
2014-12-19, 05:32 AM
For weapons and armour the rules are that the item counts as whichever it has the most of in it.

There was a post that went on for a while where someone posited a "wonderful" weapon where they just listed all the materials and tried to claim that if it was made with absolutely equal amounts of each you would get all the abilities. Since one of the materials was water contained in walls of force it really didn't work. Anyway I bring it up because that thread does contain most of the reasons (fairly well laid out too) as to why you cannot do this. (The OP wasn't buying rules - he wanted his idea to be wonderful.)

Anyway sorry, you only get the benefits of one material for D&D items.

Miscast_Mage
2014-12-19, 05:53 AM
I'm curious to see this thread now; do you happen to have a link?

On topic though, mixing materials doesn't seem possible in 3.5/PF. Even something like a halberd with a Cold Iron blade and a Darkwood shaft isn't allowed. Greenwood spears may be an exception in PF due to Greenwood being badly worded, but that's I can find.

One alternative is weapon blanches; essentially a weapon coating that let's you treat a weapon as another material for the first hit. A Cold Iron sword could be treated with a Silver weapon blanch and count as both materials for the first hit.

Khedrac
2014-12-19, 06:24 AM
I'm curious to see this thread now; do you happen to have a link?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?292613

atemu1234
2014-12-19, 10:39 AM
You could but it only gives the traits of the predominant one, as shown in the DMG section on special materials. Not that that stops houserules, of course.

Cyussu
2014-12-19, 12:38 PM
I was just looking for a non-House Ruled way to mix and match for a gestalt sort of deal. Better of the 2, but the price is the higher of the 2 metals, but if it isn't noted otherwise, then I can't do anything about it. Thanks y'all, was much appreciated!

Red Fel
2014-12-19, 01:13 PM
There's the Metalline property, which allows you to change a weapon from one metal type to another as a standard action. That effectively gives you all metals in one weapon, just not at the same time.

Another alternative is the Transmuting property, which requires no action on your part; when it strikes an enemy with DR, it becomes able to overcome that DR for 10 rounds (unless it strikes a different enemy with different DR). So it's not actually made of different materials, although it's capable of overcoming DR as if it was.

Chronos
2014-12-19, 05:20 PM
Actually, I think that you can make a spear from a darkwood shaft and a cold iron head. A weapon doesn't need to be made entirely out of a special material, only the "relevant part". The part of a spear relevant for doing damage is the head, and the part relevant for its weight is the shaft, so each material can be used in its relevant part.

Ferronach
2014-12-19, 05:30 PM
I second metalline.

I also believe that artificers can spell certain "metal types" onto weapons to temporarily change your adamantine to cold steel etc. - Been a loong time since I have been at a table with an arty so not 100% on that.