PDA

View Full Version : Gladiator

Mulletman258
2014-12-19, 02:34 AM
Looking to make a new character. The plot of the campaign is we are all slaves and forced to fight in a gladiator arena. Want to make a strong melee character. I think we have all the books. Level 3 campaign. And it's 3.5e

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-19, 02:43 AM
What sort of fighting style do you want? Maneuvers, charging, grappling, ranged, mounted, TWF... there's a lot of fighting styles.

Mulletman258
2014-12-19, 02:50 AM
I'm using a 2 handed sword on my current character. So either another 2hander or a sword and shield type guy

Red Fel
2014-12-19, 08:16 AM
I recall a thread on gladiator races awhile back. It's worth a look (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?364168-Best-Races-for-Gladiators/).

Didja read it? Great. Okay. Warforged are always a powerful melee choice.

If you want simple melee, a Warforged Barbarian with a 2H and maybe a Fighter dip will give you plenty of mileage. If you want awesome melee, a Warforged Crusader or Warblade will give you power and versatility you don't often find in a melee.

WeaselGuy
2014-12-19, 09:47 AM
CW:114 - Net and Trident [Style]

You are a master of fighting with the net and trident, and have learned to quickly follow up a successful net throw with a deadly jab of the trident.

Prerequisites: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Net), Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (Trident)

Benefits: As a full-round action, you can make a combined attack with your net and trident. First, you throw you net; if you hit and control your foe by winning the opposed Strength check, you may immediately take a 5-foot step toward you opponent and make a full attack with your trident.

Doesn't get more Gladiator-y than using a net and trident. And yeah, Warforged are pretty much all around awesome melee combatants. I would suggest Fighter 6/Warforged Juggernaut 5, for just straight up brute powerhouse. When you can't trap them with your net, just stab the crap out of them with your trident, or pummel them into mist with your spikes.

1) Adamantine Body
1F) Two Weapon Fighting
2F) Power Attack
3) Improved Bull Rush
4F) EWP (Net)
6) WF (Trident)
6F) Weapon Style (Net and Trident)

Nightraiderx
2014-12-19, 10:03 AM
Warforged Barbarian 1/Fighter 1/Crusader 1

you can grab extra rages if you need to but you essentially can heal as you hurt people in rage.

Inevitability
2014-12-19, 10:58 AM
If you don't want to be an iron construct crafted by a crazy mage (though why you wouldn't want to be one is beyond me :p), Human is always a good choice for a race. Water Orc works too, but means you'll be very focused on hitting things and being hit by them.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-19, 11:32 AM
Have you thought of building something like a dragon born who simply flies out of the arena to freedom as soon as his first match begins?

Red Fel
2014-12-19, 11:34 AM
Have you thought of building something like a dragon born who simply flies out of the arena to freedom as soon as his first match begins?

Or, frankly, building a gladiator who is entertaining to watch (and therefore will likely be allowed to live longer) instead of simply a beatstick?

Just saying. Charisma doesn't have to be a dump stat.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-19, 11:39 AM
Or, frankly, building a gladiator who is entertaining to watch (and therefore will likely be allowed to live longer) instead of simply a beatstick?

Just saying. Charisma doesn't have to be a dump stat.

I think it would be incredibly entertaining to watch a battledancer/hexblade/binder beat people up in an amphitheater.

Red Fel
2014-12-19, 11:48 AM
I think it would be incredibly entertaining to watch a battledancer/hexblade/binder beat people up in an amphitheater.

Did you see my post in the thread I linked? Lesser Celadrin Battledancer. Unarmed combat, dancing, Cha bonus, eye lasers. Fun for the whole family!

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-19, 11:50 AM
Did you see my post in the thread I linked? Lesser Celadrin Battledancer. Unarmed combat, dancing, Cha bonus, eye lasers. Fun for the whole family!

Nope, didn't follow the link but it sounds cool. I check it out now.

Red Fel
2014-12-19, 12:02 PM
Nope, didn't follow the link but it sounds cool. I check it out now.

There were some very interesting ideas in that thread. A departure from the usual "gladiators are giant musclebound brutes" and into the realm of "how can I make a pit-fighter who can command an audience?" Some clever concepts. Neraph and Thri-Keen were nice starting places. I particularly liked the idea of "Centaurs with Halfling archers on their backs." Strikes a funny bone.

Or a vital organ.

Scipio_77
2014-12-19, 12:09 PM
Generally speaking you should all work together when designing, so you can specialize in one thing (but not to the extent that all aren't somewhat all round). I haven't played something like this, but I have played an "all fighter" campaign and that is what we did. If you are 3-4 players you can make a lot of cute "synergies" by making everyone have a special improved combat move feat and exotic weapon feat (obv. ones for arena is net, whip, spiked chain).

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-19, 12:14 PM
There were some very interesting ideas in that thread. A departure from the usual "gladiators are giant musclebound brutes" and into the realm of "how can I make a pit-fighter who can command an audience?" Some clever concepts. Neraph and Thri-Keen were nice starting places. I particularly liked the idea of "Centaurs with Halfling archers on their backs." Strikes a funny bone.

Or a vital organ.

That sounds pretty great only I would switch the centaurs for reverse centaurs. Way more majestic that way.

WeaselGuy
2014-12-19, 12:22 PM
That sounds pretty great only I would switch the centaurs for reverse centaurs. Away more majestic that way.

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/XekOPPb.jpg