PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you fall on molten lava?

Ashtagon
2014-12-19, 08:00 AM
http://io9.com/what-happens-when-you-step-on-molten-lava-this-video-m-1672897816?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#lavaEffects

RAW says 2d6 per round of exposure, unless you are immersed, in which case 20d6 per round.

This video suggests that you are probably going to simultaneously "float" on the surface of the lava and catch fire. Which makes sense, since lava is denser than human flesh and most forms of equipment. istm that the only way you're going to be "immersed" is if it is poured on top of you (perhaps from an industrial size molten lava barrel).

I'm left wondering if 2d6 is meant to be "touch", while 20d6 is meant to be full-body contact.

Eldan
2014-12-19, 08:19 AM
They probably jsut didn't consider that you wouldn't sink in what is essentially still rock. Just think of how many movies and video games there are where someone falls into lava or molten metal and sinks.

You wouldn't just catch fire, either. You'd burst like an overcooked sausage as your insides turn to steam.

Khedrac
2014-12-19, 08:41 AM
I'm left wondering if 2d6 is meant to be "touch", while 20d6 is meant to be full-body contact.

In a word: "yes". Partial contact being somewhere in between.

Scipio_77
2014-12-19, 08:50 AM
As has been stated, they probably just didn't know the physics of the thing (neither did I, thanks for the cool video... I checked out some other videos and have also seen videos where they throw stuff into the lava at it stays on the surface).

Anyway, reason still applies. Standing next to some molten lava isn't necessary very dangerous, but being surrounded by large amounts of it would mean the temperatures could not sustain (human life). Lying on top of it (aka being subjected to 700 to 1200°C on your entire body) would likely qualify for massive amounts of damage, I don't think a human could survive the equivalent of a D&D round (6 second-ish) of that.

Psyren
2014-12-19, 08:54 AM
You would roast just being near it, but this almost never comes up in fiction or games.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConvectionSchmonvection

Eldan
2014-12-19, 09:04 AM
You would roast just being near it, but this almost never comes up in fiction or games.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConvectionSchmonvection

Well, it doesn't really say what "Exposure" means. Exposure to lava could also mean" being in the same room", as I usually use it.

Ashtagon
2014-12-19, 09:15 AM
To be sure, RAW does not that extreme heat is good for 1d6 points of lethal damage per minute (no save)

Extreme heat (air temperature over 140° F, fire, boiling water, lava) deals lethal damage. Breathing air in these temperatures deals 1d6 points of damage per minute (no save). In addition, a character must make a Fortitude save every 5 minutes (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage. Those wearing heavy clothing or any sort of armor take a -4 penalty on their saves. In addition, those wearing metal armor or coming into contact with very hot metal are affected as if by a heat metal spell.

Psyren
2014-12-19, 09:23 AM
There are token rules for it, sure, but it's still pretty funny that 150° F air and 525° F air does the same amount of damage, i.e. 1d6 every 10 rounds.

atemu1234
2014-12-19, 10:31 AM
There are token rules for it, sure, but it's still pretty funny that 150° F air and 525° F air does the same amount of damage, i.e. 1d6 every 10 rounds.

I believe there was an OoTS strip with that joke. Or something similar, at any rate.

StoneCipher
2014-12-19, 10:42 AM
A normal, unequipped person would float, as lava would be denser than their body. I would imagine this applies to most bio organisms.

Average human body density is around 1 g/mL

Lava density is somewhere around 2-3 g/mL

So, you'd have to be pushed under by something to overcome the density otherwise you'd float like oil on water.

Mato
2014-12-19, 12:24 PM
The latest edition's rules for falling into lava are simpler. If you are not completely immune to fire, you die. Well, except when they're not: in several published adventures, lava simply deals 10-20 points of damage per round, which is survivable even for a first-level character. I know it's 5th edition but is that true?

Ashtagon
2014-12-19, 12:43 PM
I'm wondering if a fair description of "walking" on lava would be to imagine a 3-foot deep pool of treacle, topped by a lava of chocolate about half an inch deep (thicker or thinner depending on the base temperature of the lava). You might be able to on balance that if you walk really carefully (suffering lots of heat damage in the process). If you break that crust though, it's gonna explode under you, almost certainly causing you to fall and more crust breakage and more explosions.

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-19, 12:45 PM
Crack open sandstorm. They have better rules for extreme heat than the core book. Flowing magma is likely to create one of the higher levels of heat, and they go to multiple D6 damage just being in the area. Touching magma does 2d6 EXTRA damage on top of the environmental damage. Immersion deals an extra 20d6. Falling onto lava should probably count as half immersion, so maybe 10d6 extra damage.

Chronos
2014-12-19, 12:50 PM
There's an entire rules supplement (http://www.scratchfactory.com/Resources/LavaBanners/LavaRules.pdf) dealing with exactly this issue.