PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Arcane Swordsage Help (Assigning Spell Schools to Martial Disciplines)

DurionArcanis
2014-12-19, 08:47 AM
Since I'm making an Arcane Swordsage and they don't get maneuvers normally, I need to find out what happens to all my Discipline Focus abilities over time. The easiest way I can think of would be assigning spell schools to martial disciplines (though the Arcane Swordsage isn't technically restricted by spell school regardless). This would be for the purpose of figuring out how those abilities work when I have to pick from among the various disciplines I have known.

So far I have the following

Abjuration - Setting Sun?
Conjuration - Diamond Mind?/Iron Heart?
Divination - Diamond Mind?
Enchantment - White Raven?
Evocation - Tiger Claw?
Illusion - Shadow Hand? (this or below)
Necromancy - Shadow Hand? (this or above)
Transmutation - Stone Dragon?

Any suggestions for the blanks? Any changes I should make?

Edit1: Edited in new suggestions. Also noticed I somehow had Divination assigned to Divination when I meant to write Diamond Mind... Not sure how I did that, but I was tired, probably had something to do with it.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-19, 09:32 AM
Why not just choose schools of magic instead of disciplines? Figure out a few discipline weapons and you're set.

sideswipe
2014-12-19, 09:48 AM
enchantment = white raven? mind effecting stuff.
conj = iron heart or diamond mind because both are OP :smallwink:

DurionArcanis
2014-12-19, 08:00 PM
Why not just choose schools of magic instead of disciplines? Figure out a few discipline weapons and you're set.
Well the problem I'm faced with is the DM's dislike for homebrew stuff, so if I just homebrewed up features for the schools of magic to correspond with the Discipline Focus abilities... Eh. So I'm trying to write up which schools of magic might correlate to the disciplines, so say if I have the Heatstroke spell (Necromancy) known, I can choose Necromancy for the Discipline Focus and I can then know what weapons apply for that Discipline Focus.

Unless there's some RAW somewhere that dictates what weapons are related to the schools of magic? That would be interesting to look at regardless.

enchantment = white raven? mind effecting stuff.
conj = iron heart or diamond mind because both are OP :smallwink:

Hmm... The enchantment makes sense. I may wind up having two disciplines tied to one school just for completion's sake since afterall there are 8 schools (not counting Universal) and 9 disciplines.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-19, 08:32 PM
Hmm... The enchantment makes sense. I may wind up having two disciplines tied to one school just for completion's sake since afterall there are 8 schools (not counting Universal) and 9 disciplines.

But Swordsages only have access to six. Pick one that you won't be using, and assign the remainder one school each.

Heliomance
2014-12-19, 09:02 PM
If your DM dislikes homebrew, then don't play an arcane swordsage. The book doesn't give enough detail to play them; any version that's actually playable (in the sense of having rules that actually cover what you need them to) is homebrew. Any version that isn't ludicrously overpowered is even more homebrew.

DurionArcanis
2014-12-19, 09:06 PM
Well we're kind of playing a swordsage trio party. One's Unarmed, one's Standard, and I'm the Arcane. It's how we're going.

I can always just not assign them and lose out on the weapon focus. I think the other discipline focus abilities would still work.