PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Low-cost items

RichCheapskate
2014-12-19, 02:53 PM
Flipping through the books and forums, I'm looking for some highly useful items under 50gp in cost. Know any?

Go!

bjoern
2014-12-19, 02:55 PM
Flipping through the books and forums, I'm looking for some highly useful items under 50gp in cost. Know any?

Go!

Masterwork tool of (skill)
Gives a +2 circumstance bonus to that skill and is 50gp.
Totally worth it.

EDIT--
cold iron arrows
Silver arrows
Cold iron secondary weapon
Silver secondary weapon
Any level 1 wand with 3 charges left

eggynack
2014-12-19, 03:04 PM
This guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-%28Equipment-Handbook%29) should help a lot with that sort of thing.

RichCheapskate
2014-12-19, 06:19 PM
Masterwork tool of (skill)
Gives a +2 circumstance bonus to that skill and is 50gp.
Totally worth it.

EDIT--
cold iron arrows
Silver arrows
Cold iron secondary weapon
Silver secondary weapon
Any level 1 wand with 3 charges left

This sounds great!

RichCheapskate
2014-12-19, 06:20 PM
This guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-%28Equipment-Handbook%29) should help a lot with that sort of thing.

Excellent list, reading through it right now and imagining truly terrible, amazing fun. Thanks!

mabriss lethe
2014-12-19, 08:45 PM
Grell Crystal from Lords of Madness: 10 GP, 1 lb bag of powder + 5 gallons of water+ 1 hour gets you a 1 inch thick 5X5 sheet of crystal with hardness 7 and 20 hp/inch that can be pruned and shaped as it expands. If you have ranks in Craft (crystalwork) you can create items out of it.

sideswipe
2014-12-20, 08:25 AM
Grell Crystal from Lords of Madness: 10 GP, 1 lb bag of powder + 5 gallons of water+ 1 hour gets you a 1 inch thick 5X5 sheet of crystal with hardness 7 and 20 hp/inch that can be pruned and shaped as it expands. If you have ranks in Craft (crystalwork) a high intelligence modifier you can create items out of it.

fixed it for you... lol ranks in craft. almost always useless, cant you take 20 on craft? if not then with a high intelligence and a tool will usually do anything you need.

saying that i regularly take the ranks for fluff. or in a perform or profession. i don't mind it.

Taveena
2014-12-20, 09:58 AM
You cannot take 20 on Craft, because it has a chance of failure. If you fail to make the cumulative total in time, you've wasted all the materials. So, yeah, craft ranks are a rather large help.

LurKing
2014-12-20, 08:08 PM
You cannot take 20 on Craft, because it has a chance of failure. If you fail to make the cumulative total in time, you've wasted all the materials. So, yeah, craft ranks are a rather large help.

In general, you're absolutely correct.

In contrast, there was a sidebar in one of the books about writing competitions using the craft skill, and it specifically remarked that "participants are encouraged to take 20." I suspect it had further details on taking 20 with the craft skill, such as paying twenty times the cost, but I couldn't find it just now when I went to look for it. (I thought it was in Races of Stone but didn't spot it on a quick skim.) Perhaps another forumgoer will be able to recall the location.

Taveena
2014-12-21, 12:38 PM
Well, specific does trump general, but from what it sounds like taking 20 has got some problems with it.

Gavinfoxx
2014-12-21, 01:44 PM
Taking 10, on the other hand, has absolutely no problems whatsoever...

ericgrau
2014-12-21, 02:07 PM
To take a 20 with a craft check would involve crafting 20 times with 20 times the cost and time consumed. But because the RAW is a little fuzzy here you're better off rolling your craft check 20 times to avoid confusion.

SRD has anchor feather token for stopping ships. Protection from evil and enlarge person potions are good in a buffing round. In the likely event you don't have every caster in your party then other level 1 potions like endure elements are good for utility. Have 1-2 of each in your bat belt.

A hammer and pitons were standard issue with one DM I had. Spikes you hammer into dungeon walls are good for climbing, blocking off doors, plugging holes, throwing at this or that, sealing shut this or that. Any dungeon with a lot of constructions in it.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-21, 03:40 PM
I've got to say, your user name is perfect for this thread you've started.

Anyway, I think that you can take 20 as long as your modifier is no lower than 5 less than the DC. That way you can never destroy your raw materials. Of course, at that point you're better off taking 10.

RichCheapskate
2014-12-21, 06:46 PM
I've got to say, your user name is perfect for this thread you've started.

Thanks! That was my goal.