PDA

View Full Version : Wish for a new race.

Jgosse
2014-12-19, 04:34 PM
Could I wish to be another race, and if so would there be limits to such a change?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-19, 04:37 PM
Could I wish to be another race, and if so would there be limits to such a change?

There's a ritual that amounts to exactly that in the back of Savage Species.

Ferronach
2014-12-19, 05:02 PM
I believe that you can provided that the DM allows it and you don't upset him by going from a human to say an ancient colossal red dragon...

Personally as a DM I would rule it as you have to keep your ECL within 2 points of what it currently is. You lose all racial dependent feats/skills/attributes etc that you no longer qualify for.
You gain all racial stuff of the new race.
If the new race is reasonably simmilar to your current one and you have spent time with/among them you incur no "change penalties" but if you change into something very different (say more limbs/differnt size category etc.) or something you are not very familliar with, you would incur appropriate "change penalties"
For example a human that has spent time around elves going elf would be fine.
A human that has spent time around giants becoming a giant would be very clumsy and tend to be over forcefull to begin with.
A human becoming an Orc without being familiar with them would be very socially awkward and would most likely take a cha skill penalty for a time.

Not saying that is how you/your DM should rule it, thats just how I would go about it.

Gnome Alone
2014-12-19, 05:03 PM
Wouldn't that fall under the normal uses of Wish, since, and everyone might wanna sit down before reading this next part lest you be bowled over entirely, it's Wish?

Even if it falls under the "Okay, but the DM can screw with you" clause, such an effect seems pretty mild compared to some of the things you could wish for. Were I DMing and someone wished for that, I doubt I'd bother messing with them.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-19, 05:05 PM
There's a ritual that amounts to exactly that in the back of Savage Species.

And since said rituals are magic, you're probably entirely safe wishing for a ritual of 25K gp or less.

Malimar
2014-12-19, 05:06 PM
The reincarnate spell specifies that, if reincarnated into a different race, you can wish to be your original race again. So the designers considered it to be well within the normal bounds of wish in at least that instance.

I'd say wishing to be any playable race of LA and RHD equal to or less than your own is completely fair game, and you only start edging into questionable territory if you wish to be a non-playable race or one substantially more powerful than your current race.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-19, 05:12 PM
I think Wish can replicate the effects of PAO so yeah, it's totally both within the limits of what the spell can do and there are already laid out rules about what sort of races you can have it turn you into.

Jgosse
2014-12-19, 05:14 PM
Particularly I was thinking of a goliath to firbolg.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-19, 05:20 PM
Particularly I was thinking of a goliath to firbolg.

Yup totally doable. According to PAO you get a +5 to the duration for both being in the same kingdom, +2 for being in he same class and +2 for having the same or lower intelligence. You got a 9 for your duration factor so you stay that way until dispelled.

Ruethgar
2014-12-19, 05:44 PM
And since said rituals are magic, you're probably entirely safe wishing for a ritual of 25K gp or less.

There are actual rules in SS for Wishing yourself a different race, not just rituals.