PDA

View Full Version : Pyro/cryo hydra effigies?

RoboEmperor
2014-12-19, 07:07 PM
----------

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-19, 07:17 PM
Does the effigy template remove the pyro or cryo hydra's "breathe" attack? It's not listed as a SLA, SU, or EX ability.

Literally every other breath weapon in the game is listed as SU. I would assume that a pyro/cryohydra's breath weapon should be such as well. Consequently, yes, the effigy of a pyrohydra lacks a breath weapon.

Inevitability
2014-12-20, 05:02 AM
Don't unspecified abilities default to Ex's?

A_S
2014-12-20, 05:49 AM
Don't unspecified abilities default to Ex's?
It's extremely unclear. The possibilities, as I understand them, are:
Unlisted abilities default to Ex.
Unlisted abilities default to "natural abilities," a category that's supposed to be abilities derived directly from a creature's form (like a dragon's flight).
What unlisted abilities default to depends on how they work (e.g., whether they are derived from the creature's form or not)
Unlisted abilities are a fifth type of ability not mentioned anywhere in the rules.
Creature properties that don't have a listed ability type are not, in fact, "abilities" at all.
This question comes up frequently in discussions about whether Shapechange grants racial spellcasting. I have seen arguments presented for all of the above possibilities. I have not seen a stable consensus reached.

Ask your DM. Or ask Urpriest.