PDA

View Full Version : How to feed the Fields

.Zero
2014-12-19, 07:11 PM
It seems that alternate casting of Consumptive Field and Greater Consumptive Field grant an arbitrarily increase in caster level based on how many spells slots you lime to burn.

But how do we actually feed the fields?

This post will show you a method i found to do it, but it's quite expensive. I'll share this so that you could critique it and maybe help me find a better way that doesn't rely on chickens. The answers i found lie in the almighty polymorph spell line.lines

Cast Shapechange to become a Neogi Old Master (LoM), which has the cool ability to spit 2d4 neogi spawns once per round as a standard action in a range of 30ft, and it also spits 2d4 more spawns if he's damaged, but only once per round as a free action.

Now the first issue is triggering the spells' effect.

CF's saving throw and GCF's saving throw each trigger on separate circumstances, the former activates when creatures in the spell's area drop to at least 0 hp, and the latter activates when a creature with hp up to 9 enters the spell's area.
The fact is that when we cast CF for the second time (which happens after we cast CF a first time and GCF a first time), the effect of GCF is still there, so our little creatures will suddenly die from the GCF, thus not activating the new CF saving throw and wasting the spell.

In order to gain full benefit from Consumptive Field regarding the spawns, we need to give each CF spell a wider range, so we cast it as Widened. The spell will now have an area of 60ft.

This means that our PC is inside a 60ft radius in which the CF effect apply from foot 60 to foot 30, and then the GCF effect apply from foot 30 to foot 0 (regarding the neogi spawns only the GCF effect will apply on them in the closest area, because of their low hp).

A Neogi Old Master can spit spawns to a maximum of a 30ft distance, so you alone are not able to put those spawns in the CF area. What you need is another Neogi Old Master and that's why you'll cast PAO on several spawns to transform them.
Don't worry about the 8th levels spell slots you'll waste to cast PAO. Since its duration will be "permanent until dispelled", you could waste every 8th level spell slots to transform your spawns and go nuts.

The last step is finding a way to kill every spawn each round passively, thus activating the CF effect on them.
There are several spells that grant a constant area damage, but i choose wall of fire. It is avery simple spell that just does damage. It is what i was looking for. Good for you if you can get Permanency on it.

Now that i explained you which pieces you need, i'll explain you in which order you'll do your things.

1) Cast Shapechange and spit 2d4 spawns.
2) PAO them into Old Masters.
3) Go to bed.
4) Wake up, do your things and cast GCF.
5) Order the master to spit their spawns in the GCF area. The spawns will fail their saving throw and you'll see your cl increased. Then order some masters to go 70ft away from you and some masters to stay within 40ft from you. In this way they'll be able to spit spawns both in the GCF area and in the CF area.
6) Cast Widened CF.
7) Cast Wall of Fire and place it in the Widened CF's area. Obviously you should not damage the masters.
8) Every piece is in its own place, so you can start. From now on, every round a group of masters will spit their spawn in the CF area just inside the Wall of Fire, triggering the CF effect, and the other group of masters (said masters are inside the CF area, but since they won't be damaged by the wall they won't die) will spit spawns inside the GCF area.
9) Find a way to persist each very last casting of CF and GCF, so that their bonuses lasts all day.

The trick is done. But let's take in account resources you need to spend to accomplish this: PAO and Shapechange don't count because you'll cast 'em once and never more, and I'm inclined to not take in account Wall of Fire, 'cause you'll likely spend some exp to make it Permanency'ed.

Each day you need to cast some 7th level spells and some 5th level spells to accomplish this. If you play in heavy optimization campaign (tippy-level) you probably won't care, cause you'll have a way to get an arbitrarily high number of spells per day, but in a lower optimization level you'll likely spend 3-4 5th level spell slots and 3-4 7th level spell slots, which will push your cl to 100+.
At lower optimization level this trick won't never fly.

Minimum level to do this i think it's 15, because the highest level spell you need is PAO and you need just four feats: Widen Spell, Extend Spell, Permanent Spell and Divine Metamagic. The fact is that Shapechange is not necessary, you'll just be fine with regular Polymorph.

So, what do you think of it? Could you find a way to do it better (please, no chicken infested, and not things like "I can cast Wish/Miracle an infine number of times per day as a Commoner 1")?

Uncle Pine
2014-12-20, 08:46 AM
Or you could use bees. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18521808&postcount=63)

.Zero
2014-12-20, 08:26 PM
Or you could use bees. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18521808&postcount=63)

Certo, ma quella non é una vera soluzione meccanica. Voglio dire, come ottieni quelle api? Puoi comprarle, ma spendere per buffarti ogni giorno non é quello a cui stavo pensando!

By the way, am i violating forum rules if i post in a non-english language?

Psyren
2014-12-20, 08:54 PM
By the way, am i violating forum rules if i post in a non-english language?

Since you ask, yes: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1)

Typing Incoherently/Foreign Languages
This is an English-speaking forum. With the exception of text-only translations of the comic or other specifically authorized exceptions, please use English only on this forum. While an occasional word or phrase is acceptable, entire posts, conversations, or threads in languages other than English will be scrubbed or closed.

A forum is a written medium and people have to read what you write. Chat speak, l33t speak, encrypted/enciphered text, and anything that has to be "translated" falls into this area. You may have something incredible to say, but it won't be read if you use "m8" and "pwn3d" as every other word in a post. The occasional typo or confusion regarding spelling is understood and expected, but at least take a moment to read over a message before you post it.

Uncle Pine
2014-12-21, 03:30 AM
True, but that doesn't really solve the problem. I mean, how do you get those bees? You could buy them, but spending money to buff yourself everyday isn't what I was trying to do here!

Translated for those who don't understand Italian. Why would you write in Italian anyway? :smalltongue:

Btw, back on topic: why would you buy the bees when you can breed them and use them as needed? A single healthy hive should have between 50.000 and 60.000 bees, which should be enough to buff yourself everyday for quite a long time. What? You don't have any bee to start the hive? PAO twice some commoners pebbles into bees and you're set! Don't forget that with this method you can also role your optimization trick by putting ranks into Profession (beekeeper).

Glimbur
2014-12-21, 03:56 PM
You could feed a Greater Consumptive Field with summoned spider swarms. Get a warlock, or twelve, or three hundred, and have them summon spider swarms. 9 hp, so they insta-die in the GCF. Doesn't help the regular consumptive field though.

.Zero
2014-12-21, 04:43 PM
Since you ask, yes: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1)

Ok. Got it.

Translated for those who don't understand Italian. Why would you write in Italian anyway? :smalltongue:

No particular reasons to do so. I saw you are italian and i wanted to write some words in our language. I'm feeling very silly these days, y'know.

Btw, back on topic: why would you buy the bees when you can breed them and use them as needed? A single healthy hive should have between 50.000 and 60.000 bees, which should be enough to buff yourself everyday for quite a long time. What? You don't have any bee to start the hive? PAO twice some commoners pebbles into bees and you're set! Don't forget that with this method you can also role your optimization trick by putting ranks into Profession (beekeeper).

The fact is that AFAIK there are no rules for breeding or commanding bees, so i wanted to find a RAW-ish way to feed the fields.
I admit that Profession (Beekeeper) is just a nifty trick! It would be really cool to create a bee-based caster that uses bees in a variety of situations. Wondering if there's a way to do it, maybe as an hive-mind creature.

Anyways, your trick only works with reserve of strength (and that's a better solution than mine, cause it spares a feat and a lot of spell slots) coupled with GCF, but i really don't like that feat. It's so horribly broken that it even makes TO tricks pointless.

Uncle Pine
2014-12-21, 06:16 PM
Anyways, your trick only works with reserve of strength (and that's a better solution than mine, cause it spares a feat and a lot of spell slots) coupled with GCF, but i really don't like that feat. It's so horribly broken that it even makes TO tricks pointless.

Actually I just use Reserves of Strength to cast CF and GCF at CL +3, the feat isn't really necessary if you want to cast beetter using bees.

EDIT: Wait a moment. I now see what you meant and although it would be really cool if Reserves of Strength could remove (G)CF's limits of "up to 1/2 your original caster level", CF's limit isn't worded exactly as Fireball's limit so I'm not sure whether or not Reserves of Strength could remove it. At the very least it would be an easy way to grab NI CL (as well as NI Strength), but you can already do it with vanilla CF and GCF, so why bother?

Cruiser1
2014-12-22, 03:03 AM
2) PAO them into Old Masters.
5) Order the master to spit their spawns in the GCF area.
Polymorph Any Object doesn't give you all the (Ex) abilities of what you're polymorphed into. The Spit Spawn ability of a Neogi Old Master is listed as (Ex). Polymorph Any Object acts like Polymorph except where stated differently (such as giving you the Int of the new form). The standard Polymorph spell "gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form". You need to somehow get Shapechange cast upon all your minions if you want them to be able to use the Spit Spawn (Ex) ability in turn.

Also, the Neogi Spawn creatures created by the Spit Spawn ability aren't under your control, so won't Spit Spawn in turn unless you charm or dominate them first. In fact, "Neogi spawn hunt each other, but if they notice other prey, they charge toward it". That means you need to charm/dominate/polymorph the new spawn quickly before they kill each other off.

Kazyan
2014-12-22, 04:06 AM
I admit that Profession (Beekeeper) is just a nifty trick! It would be really cool to create a bee-based caster that uses bees in a variety of situations. Wondering if there's a way to do it, maybe as an hive-mind creature.

I haven't given it much thought, but I bet at least 20% of spells could be fluffed as "and then everything was bees."

Uncle Pine
2014-12-22, 04:28 AM
I haven't given it much thought, but I bet at least 20% of spells could be fluffed as "and then everything was bees."

Bee (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeeBeeGun) afraid. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeeAfraid?from=Main.EverythingsWorseWithBees)

shaikujin
2014-12-22, 05:20 AM
I believe the more common method is to cast the spells on an anthill.

If the anthill method works for your DM, then a running stream or river with fish in would count too. Even the smaller insects, parasites or organisms in the water would count.

Divert a small part of the stream and use greater consumptive field as a dam.

The above method, unlike an anthill, is unlikely to kill off all the ants at 1 go. Ideally, the stream should, without intervention from the spellcaster, continuously provide new fodder feeding the field every round to keep the CL boost going up. (might need a way to recast the spell each round if DM rules a new consumptive field needs to be cast to take advantage of the boosted CL).

Other benefit - clean sterilized water for drinking since any small organisms present in the diverted stream will be killed.

Or a slightly more RAW method - get a Chicken Infested follower armed with a gnome quick razor.

Alternatively, auto-resetting magic traps to summon swarms (bees, locusts, rats etc) directly where the greater consumptive field is.

shaikujin
2014-12-22, 05:28 AM
It would be really cool to create a bee-based caster that uses bees in a variety of situations. Wondering if there's a way to do it, maybe as an hive-mind creature.

Here 1 way to do it using vermin lord:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17902052&postcount=27