PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Monomolecular Wire (Need help in creating)

D4rkh0rus
2014-12-19, 10:26 PM
I was just wondering, is there any way to replicate a Monomolecular Wire/Monofilament Wire in 3.5?

for those lazy to google it, Monomolecular wire is that weapon that is composed of several incredibly thin but strong wires, often attached to a pair of gloves or other dispensing mechanism, they are controlled through skill (or anime plot armor?) and can cut stuff up like a shredder.

Think Walter C. Dornez from Hellsing, or more recently, Lubbock from Akame Ga Kill.

I've done some research, and Have come up with a somewhat viable method, Using Master of the Unseen Hand and Refluffing it as using string (with magiiiiic)

But I was wondering if there were any other options, ones that preferably didn't take 3-4 levels in a rather bad class...

preferably a magical item.

The item does not need to be a wire, it can be a whip of whatever it needs to be for it to have all the functions of monofilament wire. (Cut stuff up, look cool while doing so, can full attack with it, disarm, trip, grapple, etc)

Then it can be refluffed to be wire instead of x weapon.

So, Any ideas?

TheIronGolem
2014-12-19, 10:59 PM
Vorpal Spiked Chain, providing you can convince the DM to let you have/make a spiked chain that does slashing damage instead of piercing.

gorfnab
2014-12-20, 01:40 AM
Dragon Magazine #355 has an article on the garrote with rules for strangulation.

Snowbluff
2014-12-20, 01:53 AM
Vorpal Spiked Chain, providing you can convince the DM to let you have/make a spiked chain that does slashing damage instead of piercing.
Drow Scorpion Chain. Races of Ebberon.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-20, 01:55 AM
The first step is watching Johnny Mnemonic like 6 or 7 times...

BWR
2014-12-20, 03:04 AM
Pathfinder's Technology Guide has the monowhip (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/technological-weapons#TOC-Monowhip).

Greenish
2014-12-20, 02:10 PM
Vorpal Spiked Chain, providing you can convince the DM to let you have/make a spiked chain that does slashing damage instead of piercing.Drow Scorpion Chain. Races of Ebberon.Scorpion chain even has better threat range. Make it adamantine while you're at it, and you'll have a weapon that can cut through most everything (including people's necks), trip, disarm, all with reach and close.

D4rkh0rus
2014-12-20, 03:36 PM
Scorpion chain even has better threat range. Make it adamantine while you're at it, and you'll have a weapon that can cut through most everything (including people's necks), trip, disarm, all with reach and close.

I wonder, but can it also grapple at reach range?

D4rkh0rus
2014-12-20, 09:02 PM
Allright, so the Drow Scorpion Chain looks like it could easily be fluffed to be a bunch of wires attached to two gloves or similar... some magic added in for good measure, A few Questions:

Disarm, Trip and Even Sunder are options, as well as full attack.
But Can Chain weapons benefit from Two weapon fighting?

How could I add Grapple/pin to the list of stuff I can do at Reach range?

also, what Options do I have for adding extra range to my weapon (making the reach range bigger) without increasing my size (So no enlarge, expansion, etc).

Also, How can I key stuff off Dexterity. I've got Weapon Finesse for attack, and damage can be done with shadow blade, although im not sure if the Drow Scorpion Chain counts as a spiked chain for the shadow hand list.
What else can I add to add Dex to atk/Damage (the concept I'm going for is not a strong character, but rather an agile one.)

mabriss lethe
2014-12-20, 09:22 PM
Is this for PC or NPC use? If it's for an NPC, you can refluff a chain devil as using wires. It wouldn't work so well as a PC due to the high LA and racial HD.

Greenish
2014-12-20, 10:18 PM
Disarm, Trip and Even Sunder are options, as well as full attack.
But Can Chain weapons benefit from Two weapon fighting?You'd need 4 levels of Cavestalker to treat spiked chains as one-handed, kusari-gama is light, and scorpion chain doesn't have RAW option, but given it's very close to spiked chain and even shares most feats with it, it shouldn't be too big of a fiat to ask.

How could I add Grapple/pin to the list of stuff I can do at Reach range?There are a few specific weapons (like sharktooth staff) you can grapple with, but no general means of getting that ability that I can think of.

also, what Options do I have for adding extra range to my weapon (making the reach range bigger) without increasing my size (So no enlarge, expansion, etc).Vile feats, that one ToB stance (only on your own turn), Lunge (terrible feat), warshaper, and so on. See here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?127732-3-X-Increasing-Size-Effective-Size-Unarmed-Damage-Reach).

Also, How can I key stuff off Dexterity. I've got Weapon Finesse for attack, and damage can be done with shadow blade, although im not sure if the Drow Scorpion Chain counts as a spiked chain for the shadow hand list.Technically not. Aptitude weapon would fix that, and indeed, was probably written for such.

What else can I add to add Dex to atk/Damage (the concept I'm going for is not a strong character, but rather an agile one.)A fighter dip with Hit and Run Tactics ACF is pretty easy way. See here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus) for more.