PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut

Neon Knight
2014-12-19, 11:25 PM
I recently purchased the Deus Ex collection on Steam while it was on sale; I'd managed to miss the series as a whole entirely thus far, and was interested in redressing this. I decided to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution first, but after roughly a bit over two hours into the game I feel I am not gelling with it very well; so far as I was aware, DE:HR was a 1rst third action shooter RPG amalgam, that offered a few distinct ways to approach the game. I was accepting the stealth focus the game has; after a decidedly action flavored intro, the game seems to be pressuring me into a stealth approach. Before I decided to try and sink more time into the game, I was wondering if this impression was true or if the game is more friendly to a straightforward shoot-em-up approach.

Grif
2014-12-20, 12:15 AM
Both approach are equally viable, as far as gameplay goes. However, stealth does open up hidden bonuses you may not otherwise get with a straightforward shooty-shooty approach. But it takes a lot more time and could be quite frustrating at times.

EDIT: The bosses require a lethal approach though. An action-y character will have the advantage there, though Director's Cut added in options for those perusing the stealthy, pacifist play though.

Rodin
2014-12-20, 02:15 AM
What I found from my playthroughs is that the shooty types have a lot more toys to play with - if you go stealth, you're pretty much relegated to a couple of non-lethal guns and a couple of non-lethal grenades. But if you do go stealth, there are definitely rewards for doing so. In fact, my favorite moment in the game can only be seen if you take a stealthy approach.

There's also nothing stopping you from mixing it up, IIRC. Yeah, you focus into particular fields but most of the Stealth augments aren't really necessary for someone who's experienced in stealth gameplay from other games. The only reason to favor a particular style is that the bad guys will comment on your chosen style, and there's an achievement for a "no kills other than the bosses" run.

Either way you play, the game is worth sticking with. The base gameplay is solid and the "conversation battles" are pretty unique.

Neon Knight
2014-12-20, 09:39 AM
Okay, thanks for the comments. I think I'll give it a another go and see if a few more hours has the game sitting better with me. I'm not completely adverse to stealth/talky gameplay, but stealth games tend to be very hit-or-miss 50-50 with me; I think the only series I consistently enjoy in a stealth approach is the Metal Gear games for your ability therein to **** over guards in amusing and somewhat childish ways. At any rate, hearing other people's input was good for my concerns, so again, thank you kindly.

Winthur
2014-12-20, 05:53 PM
It's worth noting that the first Deus Ex doesn't particularly favor one way or another, so whether you go non-lethal or full Disco Inferno or scuba diver is entirely up to you. Levels are bigger, more open and more nuanced as well. Just saying that you have a lot to look forward to.

Mx.Silver
2014-12-20, 10:33 PM
What I found from my playthroughs is that the shooty types have a lot more toys to play with - if you go stealth, you're pretty much relegated to a couple of non-lethal guns and a couple of non-lethal grenades.

It should be noted that taking a stealth approach does not necessitate a non-lethal approach. Hence the silencer upgrades.

huttj509
2014-12-20, 11:39 PM
It should be noted that taking a stealth approach does not necessitate a non-lethal approach. Hence the silencer upgrades.

Agreed. It should really be separated into a few styles.

Shadow - Nobody even knows I was there, full stealth/avoidance. Also probably hacking for door/camera use. Weapons used: None aside from bosses, but nonlethal options for if you decide to stun that annoying lookout rather than evading.

Merciful - No unnecessary deaths. Nonlethal weapons used. Not as restrained in being spotted, but probably a benefit.

Dishonored - They'll never see me coming, then they'll die. Lethal options used, with stealth to get in position. Hack turrets and sit back and laugh.

What's all this black and orange? Aren't cover shooters supposed to be brown? - Getcher big guns and have at the enemy.

thorgrim29
2014-12-21, 12:55 AM
I usually played it as when I was sneaking into a place or fighting regular cops or security guards I choked/tased/drugged them but when they were specifically coming after me or were the elite mercenary guys whose name I forgot the gloves came off (also I killed like everyone on the ship because I knew it wouldn't affect my "karma", everyone was afraid of me it was great)

Closet_Skeleton
2014-12-21, 05:08 AM
There's also nothing stopping you from mixing it up, IIRC. Yeah, you focus into particular fields but most of the Stealth augments aren't really necessary for someone who's experienced in stealth gameplay from other games.

I found myself unlocking cloaking to deal with one corridor 80% through the game. I never needed it again.

Almost never killed anyone, didn't get an achievement.

BladeofObliviom
2014-12-21, 08:25 AM
I found myself unlocking cloaking to deal with one corridor 80% through the game. I never needed it again.

One useful thing about the cloaking Augment that might not be immediately obvious! It works by bending light around you somehow, and while it's on you can walk right through laser walls that would otherwise hurt or kill you. Didn't realize that until my second playthrough.

Forbiddenwar
2014-12-21, 08:51 AM

For the pacifist achievement, almost is not good enough. I got it on my first (and currently only) playthrough, but it was very difficult to also save the pilot.

Grif
2014-12-21, 10:42 AM
For the pacifist achievement, almost is not good enough. I got it on my first (and currently only) playthrough, but it was very difficult to also save the pilot.

Truly, that one mission is one of the most satisfying I did, even if I did expend a great deal of my stockpiled grenades. :smallbiggrin:

Neon Knight
2014-12-22, 09:24 AM
Either way you play, the game is worth sticking with. The base gameplay is solid and the "conversation battles" are pretty unique.

Speaking of those: how do those actually work? I bought the social implant but the text description it came with doesn't really explain the actual mechanics involved so well.

Mx.Silver
2014-12-22, 11:22 AM
Speaking of those: how do those actually work? I bought the social implant but the text description it came with doesn't really explain the actual mechanics involved so well.

During more 'standard' conversations the implant notes what sort of personality type the other person's behaviour is suggesting then after a while gives you a prompt to try one of three different options which correspond to each of those. During the 'battles' it gives you access to a short psychological profile of the character and a UI indication of what sort of a reaction you're getting from them. The aforementioned mechanic is also there, but a bit harder to execute since the 'conversation bosses' tend to be harder to pin down and you need to have gotten the reaction bar up to a fair bit before you get the prompt option.

BladeofObliviom
2014-12-22, 11:28 AM
During more 'standard' conversations the implant notes what sort of personality type the other person's behaviour is suggesting then after a while gives you a prompt to try one of three different options which correspond to each of those. During the 'battles' it gives you access to a short psychological profile of the character and a UI indication of what sort of a reaction you're getting from them. The aforementioned mechanic is also there, but a bit harder to execute since the 'conversation bosses' tend to be harder to pin down and you need to have gotten the reaction bar up to a fair bit before you get the prompt option.

Pretty much this. Some are pretty easy even without the Implant, like the terrorist leader in the Sarif Plant or the Officer manning the Police Station's front desk. Others are fairly hard, such as the head of the conspiracy. There's actually a character in one of the sidequests who's flatly immune to the implant's effects because she also has one and knows exactly what you're trying to do. :smalltongue: