PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Levels in an enveloping pit

Jeff the Green
2014-12-20, 02:31 AM
My Archivist has built scaffolding, flooring, and some basic amenities into his enveloping pit (he's necropolitan so doesn't have to breathe), but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what to do with all the space. So far I've got a workshop, a library, a reading room, and a trophy room/museum. But with 50 ft of depth, I've got like three more floors to fill. Let's say one is just storage. What could I do with the others?

Inevitability
2014-12-20, 04:51 AM
You can make the lowest one the 'experiment floor'. You know, the place where you summon any evil outsiders, try to create dangerous alchemical stuff and other high-mortality jobs.

The floor directly above is the 'buffer floor'. If When things go horribly wrong below it, several dozens of protection spells should go off here and protect the other parts of your fortress. :smalltongue:

Or make the lowest two floors hidden and only accessible by means of a hidden passage on the storage floor. If you ever get attacked, you can simply run down and hide. You are a necropolitan, so two floors can contain enough for you to survive for years. All the while, you can enscribe Explosive Runes in a book to create dispel bombs, Planar Bind up some outsiders and craft some magic items to prepare for your forceful retake of the pit.

PurpleSocks
2014-12-21, 02:40 PM
The top floor should contain as many self resetting magical traps that deal as much negative energy damage as possible. Then cover the entire floor in black sand (the kind that deals negative energy damage) to the point that it counts as difficult terrain and hides the trapdoor that leads to lower levels.

This floor should serve as a place for you to heal up ridiculously quickly, and kill anything living that decides to follow you into the pit. If you ever have an undead army it will be extra usefull as a place to heal them.