PDA

View Full Version : So I'm going to study Spanish abroad next year....

Bloody Peasant!
2014-12-20, 12:49 PM
...And I don't know where to go!

I'm an anthropology major in my second year at University in the US of A presently, but I've been studying Spanish since my first year of high school and I think I've reached the point where my understanding of the language is good enough that I ought to be able to become relatively fluent if I spend some time in a Spanish-speaking country. Besides I've never left the country before (in fact I've barely left the midwest due to money problems) and I've got a serious case of wanderlust.

But I don't know where I want to go, and I could use some advice. As I mentioned I'm an anthro major and my main focus is in archaeology, so naturally I'm somewhat attracted to Peru, Mexico, Guatemala, Ecuador (ancient empires and all that)....but at the same time I would love to study in Spain as well since there's all sorts of really fascinating things to study there about Indo-European diaspora and what haves you, plus I might have the opportunity to explore other parts of Europe. Argentina and Chile also make for attractive possibilities because they've got such diverse ecosystems...and I'd love to see Patagonia; plus I like Mate quite a lot.

I'm also a huge nature lover and I had something of a childhood obsession with ornithology which still hasn't totally left me, so I'm again drawn to South America because I'd love to see some wilderness (the amazon rainforest), which would make Peru, Ecuador, Colombia or Venezuela attractive options again (though I haven't seen any programs for Venezuela or Bolivia...probably because yadda yadda silly reasons we need not discuss here a la forum rules).

But then I'm pretty much open to any suggestions. Obviously the main focus should be on what universities offer the best programs in Second-Language Spanish and Anthropology but I can't help but be drawn to certain countries for other reasons. The other issue is that my family is fairly adamant about me not going anywhere they would consider dangerous, IE places where drug cartels may be a problem. While it's not something I really think about they're much more cautious people than I am and I don't want to upset them too much.

For now I'm more or less assuming that money isn't a factor- I've been fortunate enough to get some pretty considerable needs-based grants which I've largely saved up so far so I'm looking at cost secondarily.

I know this post is really more me venting about my own indecisiveness than anything else but I feel like I have to put my thoughts out there and see if anyone has any insight.

Gnomvid
2014-12-22, 08:18 AM
From your choices and abstaining from drug cartels and such I'd aim for Peru or Spain, foremost Peru even though it's not entirely safe it is safer than the other Central/South American options and I'd give my right arm (yeah I'm right handed) to walk in the footsteps of Hiram Bingham and explore Machu Picchu. Also you'd probably find it easier with the Spanish in the Americas then in Spain as the Spaniards tend to speak faster (experience from my Peruvian colleague that sometimes has difficulties understanding her Spanish husband and even their daughter).

Spanish_Paladin
2014-12-22, 07:39 PM
I am from Madrid, so if can help you or give you some advice i am at your disposal. :smallsmile:

Kgw
2014-12-22, 07:49 PM
Me too (Madrid, etc.)

As a suggestion, Salamanca University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Salamanca) is a very popular place for students of Spanish all around the world.

I mean, I love my city, but sometimes is too big to focus.

Pro: Spain is full of places, like Salamanca, to learn Spanish.

Con: Spanish from Spain and Spanish from the Americas might seem different. In fact, at every side of the Atlantic, Spanish-speakers think they speak alright, and the other ones' is wrong. While they understand you, they might think your Spanish sounds "funny".

EDIT: Andalusian Spanish sometimes is hard to understand even to us, so don't worry about it.

Clertar
2014-12-23, 09:40 AM
In Spain: Barcelona, the best city in the country, a lot of intellectual and cultural life as well as a brewing pot for underground and alternative movements, and just a couple of hours away from France and the rest of Europe.

In the Americas: Buenos Aires. North Americans tend to ignore it, but it's a city with a lot of the old colonial life going on, deeply south american but at the same time a thriving 21st century capital with a huge cultural life. Then there is the rest of Argentina, a fascinating country with mountains, plains, native groups, rural cattle farming communities... Its pretty central situation in South America makes it a great hub to visit other countries.

Jermz
2014-12-23, 12:32 PM
First - how long are you planning to go for?

I've been to nearly every country in South America (haven't been to Suriname, Guyana and French Guiana), as well Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Mexico. Also Spain.

I won't get into the pros-cons of all the places you mentioned, but I'll recommend Guatemala (I traveled there for three months in 2011) - as it basically ticks off everything on your list. First, history and ancient empires. There are several ancient and beautiful ruins, and easy access to many others in Honduras and Mexico. Antigua is the place to be, as it's packed with both language schools (not really sure if you're going the language school angle or the total immersion/travel angle) and superb colonial architecture mixed with old-world charm. It also offers easy access to Lake Atitlan and the sleepy townships surrounding it. The lake also has many adventure options such as hiking, biking, horseback riding and more.

Semuc Champey, Tikal, cloud forests and even Guatemala City are all places worth visiting, the people are friendly, prices are cheap and you've even got some Caribbean in Livingston and Agua Caliente. It's a small enough country that you can easily see all of it and branch out into other Central American locales.

The main downside that I found was that the food could be better. Most of the food in Central America is simple beans/rice/eggs/various meat. Off the beaten track I didn't find many interesting food options.

Other places that I'd recommend: Peru (similar vibe to Guatemala, different ancient culture), Ecuador (a little bit of everything, including the Amazon rain forest), Argentina (a touch of modernity and European influences, plus easy access to Brazil!!!). Spain is also a great choice, mainly due to diversity of options and visiting other European countries. Still, for your specs, I'd definitely recommend Guatemala.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask here, or send me a PM. Some of my information is a bit dated (South America was 2006-2007, Central America was 2010-2011), but I doubt that much has changed significantly. Well, except in places like Machu Picchu and other tourist hot spots.

TheThan
2014-12-24, 08:50 PM
Oooh how about Brazil? :smallbiggrin:

Clertar
2015-02-09, 03:27 PM
Made a decision yet? ;)

Claudia Wolfen
2015-11-30, 08:33 AM
Hi, I hope it will be OK for you if I ask something about learning Spanish. Could you guys recommend the best place to learn Spanish language in Spain? Thanks!

lio45
2015-11-30, 09:10 PM
Besides I've never left the country before

You wouldn't need to, if you just relocated to, say, Laredo TX.