PDA

View Full Version : Hinjo's AWESOME Mount!

mockingbyrd7
2007-03-29, 09:43 AM
Hinjo has a seriously awesome dire wolf thingy that he rides! I'd sure as heck want one of those myself. I wouldn't blame Belkar a bit for being angry. I wonder if we'll see more of the wolf, or was it a throwaway? I hope the former.

Threeshades
2007-03-29, 09:44 AM
Hinjo has a seriously awesome dire wolf thingy that he rides! I'd sure as heck want one of those myself. I wouldn't blame Belkar a bit for being angry. I wonder if we'll see more of the wolf, or was it a throwaway? I hope the former.

we will surely see it ripping up some hobgoblins.

mockingbyrd7
2007-03-29, 09:45 AM
we will surely see it ripping up some hobgoblins.

I agree! Poll.

fwiffo
2007-03-29, 09:59 AM
Belkar doesn't get mad, he gets even. Once he tames that tan-colored shrew currently rotting away in the dungeon and converts her to play the role she was obviously meant to play...

DarkEternal
2007-03-29, 10:02 AM
Who knows, maybe Hinjo's main strengths lie in mounted combat and not in hand to hand-melee combat. I remember my last paladin was sort of like that. A juggernaut on horse but on foot he was just good at absorbing damage, not dishing it out.

Purple_cloack
2007-03-29, 10:03 AM
I have seen future. I see MANY ripped hobgoblins.

That mount, is that somekind of celestial dire wolf?

Raz
2007-03-29, 12:01 PM
Dire wolf mounts for paladins, most totally awesomely awesome!

Though I must ask, how does one MAKE a poll?

aberratio ictus
2007-03-29, 12:09 PM
To be honest, I don't think it is awesome at all.

Awful, yes, but not awesome.

Crispy SpThief
2007-03-29, 12:12 PM
The awsomest awesome thing ever? Nah, that would be Belkar's wiener dog. *smirk*

But having a Dire Wolf for a mount indeed reeks badassery.

Porthos
2007-03-29, 12:22 PM

Oh I don't know. It's not only Core (see DMG on variant Paladin Mounts), but WotC put up a rather nice write up on a Celestial Dire Wolf as a Paladin's Mount over here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20031003a) :smallsmile:

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-29, 01:21 PM
Reminds me of Tolsmir Wolfsblood. At last, a badass elf.

And hinjo's mount is pretty kewl to.

Baalzebub
2007-03-29, 01:21 PM
If it were Celestial, it would be double awesome.

Hunter_Rose
2007-03-29, 01:37 PM
I'm amazed that no one got the pokemon reference.

DarkEternal
2007-03-29, 01:50 PM

In case you are not joking, it is not the first time that it was done. Seems all paladins summon their mounts from pokeballs.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-29, 01:51 PM
Eh, it's alright.

And the pokemon reference is not new.

BisectedBrioche

We did, its just be done before.

Edit: Double Ninja'd

TheEmerged

Or mayhap we got it and are trying not to acknowledge it :smallyuk:

AyuVince
2007-03-29, 02:00 PM
The Hinjo fanclub approves of the totally awesome mount.

chibibar
2007-03-29, 02:06 PM
wow.. nice info on the different mount type. Celestrial is pretty cool.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-03-29, 02:07 PM
Seeing that he has such a sweet mount, I'm imagining that Hinjo has invested in mounted feats (while Miko has invested in Two-Weapon Fighting). This may be one of the reasons he fared so poorly against Miko in single combat (I'm guessing they have equal paladin levels, and Miko's monk levels put her ahead).

Jaguira
2007-03-29, 04:14 PM
I think Hinjo's companion is... Ist... Es ist sehr gut, prima, toll, spitza und super! I started giving compliments in German, that's how cool it is xD

On a side note, I feel special because I have a Druid character who rides her Dire Wolf companion, and I came up with her barely a month ago, if that x333

Wizzardman
2007-03-29, 04:37 PM
If it were Celestial, it would be double awesome.

If he paid a PHBII feat for it, it would be celestial. And that would be the ultimate in awesomeness. Woot for Paladins getting something besides a horse as a mount!

...Seriously. Of the few major abilities that Paladins get, the most noticeable one [which only works well with the right feats] is so very frequently wasted on a dinky equine that can't go in dungeons, has few natural attacks, and has difficulty with rough terrain! Horses are nice, but its D&D--there are so many more useful mounts out there!

Demented
2007-03-29, 04:44 PM
Seeing that he has such a sweet mount, I'm imagining that Hinjo has invested in mounted feats (while Miko has invested in Two-Weapon Fighting). This may be one of the reasons he fared so poorly against Miko in single combat (I'm guessing they have equal paladin levels, and Miko's monk levels put her ahead).

Barring the fact that Miko wasn't using TWF when fighting Hinjo.
It's possible that Hinjo has the same Paladin level as Hinjo, but she beat him pretty badly for him to be so close to her in level, even with her Monk abilities.

Camord
2007-03-29, 04:48 PM
Ah so that IS a dire wolf!

Turcano
2007-03-29, 04:55 PM
The (possibly celestial) dire wolf is pretty cool, but I would personally hold out for a celestial dire lion. Unleash the pounce/improved grab/rake fury!

Haruspex
2007-03-29, 06:35 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Hinjo's mount looks just a little bit deranged? It's even drooling. Doesn't seem to fit Hinjo's temperament, he seems like a fairly reasonable paladin.

Kiero
2007-03-29, 06:45 PM

Aye. A canine's body isn't designed to carry a load there. It's ridiculous.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 06:47 PM
i cant wait for him to get near red cloack and have red say "What the heck! When did Paladins get a dire wolf as a mount!"

Rat_Summoner
2007-03-29, 06:49 PM
Aw man...........I'm getting Lord Of The Rings 'warg' scene flashbacks here................

NeonRonin
2007-03-29, 07:18 PM
I'm just looking forward to seeing that Dire Wolf pick up a hobbo and shake it in his mouth like a rag doll... much sweetness. :smallbiggrin:

Jaguira
2007-03-29, 07:25 PM
Neither is a horse's, actually, but that doesn't stop us.

vbushido
2007-03-29, 07:57 PM

A canine's body also usually isn't reinforced with bony plates and the size of a draft horse.

-----
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.

Drider
2007-03-29, 08:07 PM
"Am I the only one who thinks that Hinjo's mount looks just a little bit deranged? It's even drooling. Doesn't seem to fit Hinjo's temperament, he seems like a fairly reasonable paladin."
(Don't know how to quote, sorry)
"hinjo" if thats what he wants to call himself, is probably a level 15ish rogue with MASSIVE disguise+bluff skills who just bought a wolf

Mr. Moon
2007-03-29, 08:10 PM
Or he's a paladain with the coolest mount I've ever seen.

Either way...

brionl
2007-03-29, 08:41 PM
Neither is a horse's, actually, but that doesn't stop us.

Well, it wasn't, until we spent a couple thousand years breeding them up for the job.

Dogs have been bred for all sorts of things. If there were small people that could ride them, there would be dogs bred to be riding breeds.

Kreistor
2007-03-29, 10:49 PM
It would only have been better than Awesomely Awesome, if it was Celestial and winged.

Oh, that was Silverbolt. He wasn't that awesome. Nevermind...

Jade_Tarem
2007-03-29, 11:17 PM
*snip*It's possible that Hinjo has the same Paladin level as Hinjo,*snip*

I know it's picky and that everyone else probably caught this already, but I think it's 100% likely that Hinjo has as many paladin levels as Hinjo. :smallamused:

AmoDman
2007-03-29, 11:44 PM

We design canine's now? Interesting. I took it that we just took random animals not designed specifically for riding and slapped saddles on them until 1,000s of years later they were just used to it. I imagine anatomically ambiguous fantasy creatures could be similar in an unfamiliar world posessed of magic, stick figures, and deities who "fudge the rules" every now and then.

Frank
2007-03-30, 01:05 AM
The Dire Wolf reminds me of Link when he goes Twilight.

Link and Hinjo? Brothers. Totally.

And poor Death Knight Xykon's got NO chance against a ball and chain. Can you say Dorukan's Gate II? I knew you could.

PH34R teh Elven were-wolf shifter.

-Frank

BisectedBrioche
2007-03-30, 03:49 AM
We design canine's now? Interesting. I took it that we just took random animals not designed specifically for riding and slapped saddles on them until 1,000s of years later they were just used to it. I imagine anatomically ambiguous fantasy creatures could be similar in an unfamiliar world posessed of magic, stick figures, and deities who "fudge the rules" every now and then.

Of course we "designed" dogs. How do you think we got a toy poodle from a friggin' wolf?

Krytha
2007-03-30, 05:21 AM
How could anyone say that EPIC MOUNT is not totally awesome?!

Luklan
2007-03-30, 07:08 AM
Of course we "designed" dogs. How do you think we got a toy poodle from a friggin' wolf?

Yeah, those poor wolves. De-evolution at it's finest.

Anyway, Dire Wolf Mount = Friggin' Awesome. Officially voted it as 'most awesome thing ever'. But only because it's not 'overdone', unlike Paladins on Horseback, or maybe 'Paladins riding Dragons' >>

RMS Oceanic
2007-03-30, 09:02 AM
Write in for "Super Special Awesome"!

Yeah, that's one of the coolest mounts I've seen.

Kiero
2007-03-30, 09:16 AM

Selective breeding? Original horses were tiny, that's one of the reasons the chariot came into prominence when it did, then faded away when people were able to breed much bigger horses.

Pokemaster
2007-03-30, 09:38 AM
Dogs and wolves probably aren't capable of carrying riders. However, DIRE wolves bigger than full-grown men in armor don't exist in real life, so it's entirely possible that they can carry riders.

aberratio ictus
2007-03-30, 09:41 AM
Dogs and wolves probably aren't capable of carrying riders. However, DIRE wolves bigger than full-grown men in armor don't exist in real life, so it's entirely possible that they can carry riders.

Well, maybe... but that does not necessarily mean it doesn't look ridiculous.

NemoUtopia
2007-03-30, 10:03 PM
Crap, now I need to make a Paladin over 7th level just to get a celestial dire wolf mount. Cuuuuuuuurses...

Mad Scientist
2007-03-30, 10:30 PM
I do like the slavering dire wolf, but I have to say that Xykon's undead/zombie silver dragon is much cooler. Who wouldn't want a huge undead dragon mount?

hamishspence
2007-03-31, 05:43 AM
I was never fond of the whole Dire=bony spikes all over thing. I preferred to visualise dire beasts as equivalent to corresponding prehistoric beasts: There was definately a historical dire wolf. Bigger and stronger than a timber wolf, but not particularly unusual looking.
Given that many prehistoric mammals were up to 25% bigger than corresponding modern mammals, making them "dire" makes sense ruleswise.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2007-03-31, 12:51 PM
I think that dire shouldn't be visualized as bony spikes. Instead I think of them as the ancient, primeval ice age versions: Thicker fur, larger, fearsome. The wolf that hinjo rides is an ice age wolf, with whiter fur, thicker fur, and a larger-than-life appearance.

Sesquedoodle
2007-03-31, 02:51 PM
I think of dire to mean big and snarling.

I've got to say, I'm starting to think it'd be worth playing a paladin JUST to get a friggin' cool mount.

Elephant
2007-03-31, 04:16 PM
Interesting, certainly. Pee-your-pants awesome, as the OP's tone suggests? Definitely not.

Grizzt
2007-03-31, 04:57 PM
That's the coolest mount I've ever seen.
And I have flown a WoW flying mount

Illiterate Scribe
2007-03-31, 06:15 PM
I think of dire to mean big and snarling.

Still doesn't explain the fearsome Dire Badger. Rawr!

Anyway, the mount was fairly awesome, but not enough golem parts for my liking. Pile on the grafts!

Drider
2007-03-31, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=Illiterate Scribe;2297292]Still doesn't explain the fearsome Dire Badger. Rawr!QUOTE]

What it lacks in size, it makes up for in...Vicious-ness? Vicioucity? something?:smallbiggrin:

windwolf7
2007-04-03, 06:38 AM
That's what Belkar needs. A Dire Badger Mount!

battleburn
2007-04-03, 04:16 PM
most awesome is the curve coming out of the poll.

jindra34
2007-04-03, 06:42 PM
its good but i would personally perfer a dire tiger

Black_Light83
2007-04-03, 10:08 PM
well too bad for belkar, but what happened between the frame where he thought he was getting somthing like Hinjo's mount, and the frame where he had his mount?:smallconfused:

Soveliss
2007-04-22, 07:59 AM
i like the mount too but why the heck did it come out of a pokeball?:smallconfused: