PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Mage Hunter (PrC)

Garonak
2014-12-20, 05:09 PM
Premise for this class:
Though there are a few official magehunting prestige classes out there I have felt that you either give up too much (not be allowed to use magic items etc. or a bit steep entry requirements) in addition to not being that effective, thus I have made the Witch Hunter.

1. 22.12.2014: Dropped charisma as dependent ability; added detect magic; changed caster level for all abilities to 'character level'; Favored Enemy stacks with other favored enemy abilities
2. 22.12.2014: Changed name to Mage Hunter; added locate creature

- Special requirement: Injured by arcane magic/invocation, reduced to fewer than 0 HP by magic, been killed or seen ally/friend/family killed by magic
- Caster level: The issue here is to make it powerful enough, yet balanced at all levels, therefore I have some ideas for how to calculate the caster level for this ability (and also the antimagic field-ability at level 5).
Caster level possibilities:
--- CL = Base attack
--- CL = Twice charisma + class level
--- CL = Twice class level + charisma
--- CL = Character level
--- CL = 10 for dispel magic, 20 for greater dispel magic
- A variant of dimensional anchor activated by using dispelling strike perhaps?
- Giving the spell locate creature as spell-like abilities, and nondetection as continuous effect perhaps?
- Giving freedom of movement against spells perhaps?
- Improved Mettle: giving possibility to save against no-save.

The Witch Hunter

In a world where magic is abundant the need to protect one against such is also abundant.

Prerequisites:
Feats: Mage Slayer
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 2 ranks, Spellcraft 2 ranks
Base attack: +7
Special: Must defeat an arcanist with a CR equal to or greater than the character's level in single combat.

Table 1-1: THE MAGE HUNTER Hit Dice: D10

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

+1
+2
+0
+2
Dispel Magic, Mage Hunter, Magic Defense

+2
+3
+0
+3
Spell Resistance, Spell Evasion

+3
+3
+1
+3
Favored Enemy (Arcanist)

+4
+4
+1
+4
Mettle, Dispelling Strike

+5
+4
+1
+4
Antimagic Field

Class skills (4 + Int modifier per level): Bluff, Climb, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Listen, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device

Class features:
Mage Hunter (Ex.): A Mage Hunter uses various tools while combating misuse of magic, both mundane and magical interchangeable; because of this the Mage Slayer feats do not affect the caster level of her class abilities. In addition the Mage Hunter can use detect magic as a spell-like ability at will, with a caster level equal to her character level. At level 3 the Mage Hunter can use locate creature as a spell-like ability
Dispel Magic (Sp.): Beginning at level 1, the Mage Hunter may use Dispel Magic as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to her character level. She can use this a number of times per day equal to her class level. At level 3 she instead casts Greater Dispel Magic
Magic Defense (Su.): Beginning at level 1 the Mage Hunter gains a bonus on armor class and saves against spells and invocations equal to her class level.
Spell Resistance (Su.): Beginning at level 2 the Mage Hunter gains spell resistance equal to 11 + character level
Spell evasion (Ex.): At 2nd level and higher, a Mage Hunter can avoid even magical attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against a spell that normally deals half damage on a successful save (such as a lightning bolt or a fireball), she instead takes no damage. A helpless Mage Hunter (such as one who is unconscious or paralyzed) does not gain the benefit of evasion. Note that this ability does not function against non-magical attacks (like a red dragon's fiery breath weapon).
Favored Enemy (Arcanist) (Ex.): At level 3 the Mage Hunter gains favored enemy (arcanist). This feature works just like the ranger's favored enemy ability (PH 47), except that the bonus is equal to the Mage Hunter's class level. The bonuses granted apply to any character capable of casting arcane spells or using invocations (but not other spell-like abilities). This ability stacks with other forms of favored enemy.
Mettle (Ex.): At 4th level and higher, a Mage Hunter can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If she makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), she instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping Mage Hunter does not gain the benefit of mettle.
Dispelling Strike (Su): Beginning at level 4 the Mage Hunter may use one of her daily uses of greater dispel magic as part of a melee attack. This functions like a targeted greater dispel magic. She may use this as many times per day as she can use her dispel magic ability, but no more than once per round.
Antimagic Field (Sp.): Beginning at level 5 the Mage Hunter may apply the ultimate weapon against spellcasters, two times per day she can cast Antimagic Field as a spell-like ability, with a caster level equal to her character level.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Magikeeper
2014-12-20, 08:27 PM
I will give a longer reply when at an actual computer but here are some initial things:

- there is already a witch hunter prc. I suggest you change the name.

- SR needs to be at least 10 + total level.

- I dislike that special requirement a lot. Imagine trying to meet that in a game - with other players- without the dm/your allies bending over to set up your duel. Now imagine trying this at high levels. Let the party be involved, I say.

- this class could be 10 levels as there are some more things it needs to be a credible threat to mages imo, such as:
>> A way to stop mages from magically fleeing.
>> A way to harm/kill mages through their controlled servants/magical projections (ice assassins, summons, golems, dominated monsters, etc). An echoing strike, as it were.
>> Some tools to help track mages down. Doesn't need to hand foes to them on a silver platter but right now they have nothing to work with.
>> protection against "I win" buttons. I suggest the ability to make will saves against any no-save spell effect that directly effects you.
>> an anti-divination ability
>> Some way to not be utterly shut down by battlefield control spells + magical movement.

The above still leaves some holes but it would be a big step towards actually being scary.

Garonak
2014-12-22, 02:22 AM
I will give a longer reply when at an actual computer but here are some initial things:

- there is already a witch hunter prc. I suggest you change the name.

- SR needs to be at least 10 + total level.

- I dislike that special requirement a lot. Imagine trying to meet that in a game - with other players- without the dm/your allies bending over to set up your duel. Now imagine trying this at high levels. Let the party be involved, I say.

- this class could be 10 levels as there are some more things it needs to be a credible threat to mages imo, such as:
>> A way to stop mages from magically fleeing.
>> A way to harm/kill mages through their controlled servants/magical projections (ice assassins, summons, golems, dominated monsters, etc). An echoing strike, as it were.
>> Some tools to help track mages down. Doesn't need to hand foes to them on a silver platter but right now they have nothing to work with.
>> protection against "I win" buttons. I suggest the ability to make will saves against any no-save spell effect that directly effects you.
>> an anti-divination ability
>> Some way to not be utterly shut down by battlefield control spells + magical movement.

The above still leaves some holes but it would be a big step towards actually being scary.

Where is this other Witch Hunter (maybe my class isn't needed :P )? - Nevermind, found it/them

I want to keep this at five levels, mostly because it makes it easier to combine with whatever other classes/build a player might want.

Special preq. can be changed (my groups usually ignore many of these, so it was most for show). Maybe make it into something like: Injured by arcane magic/invocation, reduced to fewer than 0 HP by magic, been killed or seen ally/friend/family killed by magic.

For your other suggestions:
- A variant of dimensional anchor activated by using dispelling strike perhaps?
- Giving the spells detect magic and locate creature as spell-like abilities, and nondetection as continuous effect perhaps?
- Giving freedom of movement against spells perhaps?
- Improved Mettle: giving possibility to save against no-save.
Thoughts?

If these were to be implemented I think that I might have to increase entry requirements, mainly base attack (or even base will), maybe to BA +10.

Note: Have made some changes to the class (in a few minutes I will anyways).

Magikeeper
2014-12-22, 06:24 PM
<Finally at a computer>

Hrm.. Let's go over what I feel are the main issues this class faces:

1) It needs to work at different optimization levels. This is actually a far greater issue for this class than just working at low/high levels as a mage's unkillability varies wildly between low and high op. In other words, the class should make Tippy wizards groan without auto-slaying more middling wizards. As it stands now, this class is probably fine outside of high-op, at least if it gets some kind of dimensional anchor effect.

2) A mage, or at least a cautious one, is sorta like a giant shelled beast that lashes out across the cosmos with its mighty tentacles (magic). If a Martial PC is going to fight a mage in a martial manner (instead of grabbing a bunch of items/spells and pretending to be a mage), it has to be able to fight the mage through the tentacles - no matter what form they may take!

This is because being able to find the mage and break through the shell itself really depends on optimization level - it might well be impossible to pull off martially. Some examples: Optimized Celerity + Flee. Hiding in a dimensionally locked plane while projections/minions do all the dirty work. Barrier spells. Time manipulation*.
*You don't know annoying until your opponent retroactively flees before the battle began in the first place (granted, reversing time is more of a psionics thing).

3) Do you want this class to be a must-have for any martial PC in a game that uses mages? Balancing 5 levels is hard, and I fear that any class that is actually a threat against cautious/ high-op mages is going to need a sizable number of powers on top of what the class already grants (which is pretty nice, all in all). It really might be better to create a 10 level prestige class where the first 5 levels are still a great dip. The last 5 levels can be for PCs that want "Mages fear me" to be their defining trait. Is the issue that you are worried about groups that require you to take all levels of a prestige class (I hear some groups do that, not sure if its common though)?

Like, keep the first 5 levels as they are right now (Well, same abilities albeit with some more tweaking). Then add some kind of Echoing Strike and maybe a Greater Echoing Strike (the ability to attack mages through lingering magical auras their spells leave behind?) to threaten minonmancy and projection stuff. Something to stop mages from using divinations to predict and avoid you indefinitely would be good as well.

I.E, something like:

6 - Echoing Strike, Hunter's Gaze
7 - Superior Dispelling Strike, Unbound Step
8 - Secured Self, Improved Mettle.
9 - Greater Echoing Strike, Improved Hunter's Gaze.
10 - Severing Strike, Antithesis

Echoing Strike (Su) - A Mage Hunter can strike at mages through the foul connections they use to bind others to their will. Anytime a Mage Hunter damages a creature they may have half that damage (rounded up), and any additional effects of the attack, also effect any creatures exercising magical control over the damaged foe. This includes dominated creatures, astral projections, controlled golems, etc.

Hunter's Gaze (Su) - A Mage Hunter gain the benefits of See Invisibility and Arcane Sight.

Superior Dispelling Strike (Su) - Like Dispelling Strike, except every spell that could be effected is effected (I.E, if a mage has 5 spells and the checks is high enough to dispel them all, they are all dispelled), and that the effect has no maximum bonus (normally +20). Using this ability still only uses a single use of the Mage Hunter's daily allotment of Greater Dispell Magics.

Unbound Step(Su) - A Mage Hunter may ignore any magical effect that could not effect a creature benefiting from Freedom of Movement. Furthermore, the Mage Hunter may make a level check (DC = 10 + Caster level of the effect) to move through any magical force effect created by a spell or magic item as though it were not there.

Secured Self (Su) - Any magical spells or effects that attempt to gain information regarding the Mage Hunter simply fail to function. Spells that scan an area the Mage Hunter is in, such as a scying effect, simply fail to detect/reveal the Mage Hunter but otherwise function normally. Furthermore, a Mage Hunter of this caliber cannot be copied and/or controlled by magical effects (such as Dominate Person).

Improved Mettle (Su) - As the Mage Hunter's Mettle ability, except the Mage Hunter can make will saves to avoid being directly effected by spells that do not normally grant saving throws (Being wished into the heart of a volcano is a direct effect, a wall blocking the Hunter's path is not). The saving throw DC is equal to what the spell's DC would be if it normally allowed a save.

Improved Echoing Strike (Su) - The Mage Hunter can now strike at mages through the faint remnants of their disgusting works. This allows the Mage Hunter to attack lingering any lingering magical auras left behind by spells (as noted in the Detect Magic spell) as though they were the caster themselves (Including AC, defensive abilities, etc). All damage dealt to the caster this way is halved (rounded up) although any additional effects of the strike effect the caster normally.
This is probably the most Martial way of dealing with cautious mages - if you can reach a spell aura they have to defend themselves. Making it spells specifically leaves some magical options for escaping foes, which is probably for the best.

Improved Hunter's Gaze (Su) - As Hunter's Gaze, except the Mage Hunter's sight also foil magical disguises as though she benefited from True Seeing.

Severing Strike (Su) - Once per day a Mage Slayer may make a special strike that cuts off a mage from the source of their power. Any mage that is hit by the strike must make a will save (DC 10 + 1/2 character level + Cha Modifier) or be rendered unable to cast spells for one round. Furthermore, all spells the Mage could dismiss are automatically dismissed whether or not the Mage passes their will save [this happens before damage is dealt]. This ability may be used in conjunction with any of the Mage Hunter's other strikes.
Might not need the last line, but I'm not sure how clear it is.

Antithesis (Ex) - A Mage Hunter that reaches this state is an exemplar of all things Anti-Magical. Anytime the Mage Hunter successfully passes a save against a spell, or a spell fails to bypass the Mage Hunter's spell resistance, the effect is immediately reflected back onto the caster; the Mage Hunter may remake any choices made as part of the spell (If the choices are broad enough, such as in the case of Wish, the resulting effect is permitted to only technically involve the caster, I.E. "I wish the one controlling the caster..").
Yes, this basically exists to mess with mass Wish strategies. Also gives a <weak> defense against mass mindrape, or at least the standard targets for mindrape armies (via using reflected wishes to cure the afflicted).

I just don't see how to pull off something similar in only 5 levels. Even the above still fails to have a good way to stop some strategies.

Anyway, another way of looking at it might be that the current 5 levels is good for maybe 90% of mages in a campaign world. But being a reasonable threat to virtually ALL mages requires a ton more abilities than this class is currently fitting into the 5 levels.

----------

Comments on the current abilities:

> Why does the Mettle stop working while unconscious? I realize some groups run spells that way, but other's don't and I would suggest removing that line. Mages have the upper hand when it comes to determining when a battle is fought and they really don't need to be handed such a glaring hole in the Hunter's defenses at any optimization level IMO.

> Dragon Breath weapons are (Su), and are thus magical although they are not spells.

Garonak
2014-12-23, 04:31 AM
These are good comments (though it seems like you really want to hurt mages :P). Some of your ideas I have given thought, like the antithesis, Occult Slayer has a similar spell turning ability I have considered, but mye wish of limiting the class to five levels stopped me.

I think what I'll do is to play around a bit with abilities, adding one and one level as needed, don't have to go the full 10 levels even if I exceed five.

Comments on the current abilities:

> Why does the Mettle stop working while unconscious? I realize some groups run spells that way, but other's don't and I would suggest removing that line. Mages have the upper hand when it comes to determining when a battle is fought and they really don't need to be handed such a glaring hole in the Hunter's defenses at any optimization level IMO.

> Dragon Breath weapons are (Su), and are thus magical although they are not spells.

Mettle is copied straight from Hexblade, and I assumed that all versions of the ability worked like that, but I see now that Pious Templar's version has no note on consciousness; will change.

I felt that evasion and mettle in the same class would be a bit over the top, which is why I chose to have evasion only affect spells, which in turn led to the poor wording when copying it from Rogue. Might change that now.