PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Custom NPC Spells PEACH

Eneder
2014-12-20, 06:40 PM
Note: the first spell written out here is the level 1 version. For higher levels, everything's the same except for the amount of critters summoned. See the tables below.

Summon Critter (Conjuration)
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One summoned creature
Duration: 1 round/level + 2 rounds
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spells summons a critter. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn.
It is unable to attack, but is able to any other action the creature could take. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it slightly. Most of its actions will still depend on its instinct. The spell conjures one of the creatures from the list below. You choose which kind of critter to summon and you can change that choice each time you cast the spell. Each of these creatures has 1hp and an Armor Class of 10 + their size modifier. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them.
Arcane Focus: A tiny bag and a small (not necessarily lit) candle.

Name Size
Chipmunk Diminutive
Duck Diminutive
Dung Beetle Fine
Frog Diminutive
Hare Diminutive
Kitten Diminutive
Marmot Diminutive
Mouse Diminutive
Pigeon Diminutive
Puppy Diminutive
Rabbit Diminutive
Rat Diminutive
Roach Diminutive
Squirrel Diminutive

Level Amount of critters
1 1
2 1d3+1
3 1d3+2
4 1d4+3
5 1d4+4
6 1d6+5
7 1d6+6
8 1d8+7
9 1d8+8

Sword Dance (Transmutation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: One flying sword + one/2 caster levels (maximum five swords at level 9)
Duration: Concentration, up to 3 rounds

With the last gesture, you touch the handle of your marked weapons as they fly out in front of you.

When you cast this spell, you animate several swords, that fly about and you can control. You can animate one sword plus one sword per two caster levels. Each of these swords have to be marked with your Arcane Mark. The swords originate from your square and first move to the adjacent squares (first in front and besides you, then behind you), moving at a fly speed of 40 feet with perfect maneuverability. Each round on your action, as a standard action, each sword can be commanded to do one of three things.
Attack: A sword can be commanded to move to a square adjacent to and opponent and attack. This attack deals as weapon damage and uses your base attack bonus plus your relevant spellcasting ability modifier (Intelligence for wizards, Charisma for sorcerers) as its attack bonus.
Guard: A sword can be commanded to move to an designated location and ready an attack against the first enemy to move into its threatening squares.
Defend: A sword can be commanded to move into your square and give you a +2 deflection bonus on your AC until the start of your next turn. The deflection bonus of multiple swords defending stacks.
When the spell ends, the swords fall to the ground.
Material Component: an amount of swords marked by Arcane Mark

Both of these spells are for NPC's, but I'd like them to be as balanced as possible.
Short reasoning for both spells.
Summon Critter: They keywords I was thinking of when messing with this spell was "kitten wizard". It's "useful" in noncombat situations where you have to mesmerize some kids or some easy distracted people. Could also be a good bargaining chip. The list of critters is just to make sure that you're not stuch with "Summon Kitten" which sounds cool, but is too limited to be a spell IMO.
Sword Dance: I like the idea of a wizard (or another class, but I just seem to be preoccupied with wizards when it comes to magic) being able to animate a bunch of swords and attack with them at a distance. The reason I added the Arcane Mark mechanic is to make stealing someone else's weapon harder and because I feel like Arcane Mark should have more combos than just being magical graffiti.

Eneder
2014-12-24, 10:24 AM
Bump it because 78 views but no responses/criticism

Debihuman
2014-12-26, 03:45 AM
Summon critter is kinda cute but summon Monster 1 is also a first level spell and this has a longer duration. I think I'd prefer this as a cantrip with the duration of the spell as 1 round plus 1 additional round every/2 levels to a maximum of 5 rounds. Remove level amount of creatures since it can only summon 1 creature.

Stat blocks for Diminutive creatures should be added.

Dung beetle and roach are poor choices for summoning critters since they are Vermin, mindless, and should be Fine not Diminutive in size.

The spell should be dismissible as well.

Debby.

Eneder
2014-12-29, 05:15 AM
So this is what you're suggesting?

Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Effect: One summoned creature
Duration: 1 round + 1 round/2 levels (max 5 rounds) (D)

This spells summons a critter. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn.
It is unable to attack, but is able to any other action the creature could take. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it slightly. Most of its actions will still depend on its instinct. The spell conjures one of the creatures from the list below. You choose which kind of critter to summon and you can change that choice each time you cast the spell. Each of these creatures has 1hp and an Armor Class of 10 + their size modifier. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them.

Name Size
Chipmunk Diminutive
Duck Diminutive
Frog Diminutive
Hare Diminutive
Kitten Diminutive
Marmot Diminutive
Mouse Diminutive
Pigeon Diminutive
Puppy Diminutive
Rabbit Diminutive
Rat Diminutive
Squirrel Diminutive

I wonder if with this duration, the spell could have any real effect. Casting it for a round, then the creature being there for 5 rounds at level 9... seems a bit mjeh. Noted that I made it a cantrip and I don't take into account metamagic abuse, since I'm not experienced with that.

Got more remarks for this one or maybe for Sword Dance?

Eneder
2014-12-29, 05:29 AM
Also messed with the Updraft spell (from the spell compendium). The idea: longer casting time, more upward lift.

Updraft (Conjuration)(Creation) [Air]
Level: Clr 1, Drd 1
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 3 rounds

Detritus and loose debris on the ground beneath you begins to spin about, caught in a small vortex. The vortex quickly coalesces into a column of dirty gray-brown air thick enough to hold you aloft. Updraft conjures forth rushing air that propels you upward. You gain 10 feet of altitude per caster level.
Material Component: A miniature propeller or windmill.

jedipotter
2014-12-31, 03:23 AM
Summon Critter will need some work if it is going to be a spell. It has a huge flaw: The spell does nothing. Say you summon a kitten, or even a dozen kittens. What could they do? And they are only around for less then a minute? Make it 1st level and have a duration of 1 hour/level at least. And summon like ''up to the casters level in critters''. And make that material component a treat for the animal. And add Clr 1, Drd 1, Brd 1 and Rrg 1 too....

Sword DanceCan this spell only be cast on swords? Not say scimitars or daggers? Can it be cast on large or huge sized swords? Magic swords?

So you use a standard action to command all the swords at once? Or is it just one sword per standard action?

Maybe ''the swords dance around the caster threatening the area around him and granting a +2 deflection bonus per sword. As amove action the caster can command one or more swords to Attack a single target, Protect a single target or Defend a single square...but all commanded swords must do the same action.''

Does the spell only have a duration of three rounds? That is kinda short. And concentration is not good. Why not just 1 round/level?

And the swords are the material components? So the swords are consumed by the spell? It that what you wanted? Or did you want the swords to be the Focus of the spell.

Updraft So it just lifts a caster up? Well up to 600 feet upwards, slowly, over three rounds does not look so useful or practical...but the spell is ok.

Eneder
2014-12-31, 02:57 PM
Summon Critter: My initial idea was to have the critter be a distraction. Maybe having a level 9 Summon critter was a bit much, but I like the idea of a chase ending in a confused pile of kittens. The additional casters is a good idea, didn't think of it. And is at level 3 up to 3 kittens for 3 hours balanced?

Sword Dance: The idea was that only weapons with a big enough cutting edge can be used, so scimitars, daggers and everything(including magic swords) can be used, but no axes, hammers, spears or clubs. To balance it: Two-handed swords count as two. Size: Caster's size? A standard action to command all swords? So you can still move while concentrating?
The swords are the focus, yes, my bad. I didn't think about the wording enough as you can see...
I took the duration from Manymaws (I think SP), which I used as a template sort of. I took that because I was afraid that the spell would be OP if you used magic swords (or enchanted swords, I'm starting to doubt my wording again).

Updraft: Again, I messed up the wording. The idea was that the adjusted spell gets you higher, but maybe 3 rounds is too much. 1 round duration? Still good?

I'll write out the changes some other time.

Eneder
2015-01-01, 07:08 PM
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Drd 1, Rrg 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Effect: Up to one summoned creature/level
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)

Material Component: A treat suited for the summoned critter.

Name Size
Chipmunk Diminutive
Duck Diminutive
Frog Diminutive
Hare Diminutive
Kitten Diminutive
Marmot Diminutive
Mouse Diminutive
Pigeon Diminutive
Puppy Diminutive
Rabbit Diminutive
Rat Diminutive
Squirrel Diminutive

I guess you can also make a case for Prestidigitation not doing anything either, but since it changes the state of the world, it certainly has its effect. Yes, Prestidigitation has a much wider spectrum of possibilities, but Summon Critter summons something that would not be easily seen as magic, where as any items created with Prestidigitation are crude and artificial-looking.

Sword Dance (Transmutation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: One flying sword + one/2 caster levels (removed max)
Duration: Concentration

With the last gesture, you touch the handle of your marked weapons as they fly out in front of you.

When you cast this spell, you animate several swords, that fly about and you can control. You can animate one sword plus one sword per two caster levels (This spell only works with swords with a big enough cutting edge, since animation is not precise enough to effectivly use weapons with a smaller cutting edge (for example axes and spears) and not forcefull enough to use blunt weapons (for example maces and clubs). Different swords are also harder to control, see the table below to see how many swords can be animated.). Each of these swords have to be marked with your Arcane Mark. The swords originate from your square and first move to the adjacent squares (first in front and besides you, then behind you), moving at a fly speed of 40 feet with perfect maneuverability. Each round, as a standard action, each seperate sword can be commanded to do one of two things.
Attack: A sword can be commanded to move to a square adjacent to an opponent and attack. This attack deals as weapon damage and uses your base attack bonus plus your relevant spellcasting ability modifier (Intelligence for wizards, Charisma for sorcerers) as its attack bonus.
Defend: A sword can be commanded to move into your square and give you a +2 deflection bonus on your AC until the start of your next turn. The deflection bonus of multiple swords defending you stacks.
When the spell ends, the swords fall to the ground.
Spell Focus: an amount of swords marked by Arcane Mark

Weapon Counts as X animated swords
Dagger 1/2
Short Sword 1
Long Sword 1
Scimitar 1
Greatsword 2
Bastard Sword 3
Two-Bladed Sword 3

Weapon Size Adjustment
Caster's Size 0
For every size category smaller /2
For every size category bigger *2

I see that adding all this makes the spell a lot more complicated. I'm thinking of just limiting the weapons to Long Swords only. Does remove a lot of the hassle.
I removed the "Guard" option, because I felt like it was inferior compared to the other two options.

Updraft (Conjuration)(Creation) [Air]
Level: Clr 1, Drd 1
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round

Detritus and loose debris on the ground beneath you begins to spin about, caught in a small vortex. The vortex quickly coalesces into a column of dirty gray-brown air thick enough to hold you aloft. Updraft conjures forth rushing air that propels you upward. You gain 30 feet of altitude per caster level.
Material Component: A miniature propeller or windmill.