PDA

View Full Version : Best parts of the DMG

DireSickFish
2014-12-20, 11:54 PM
Hey all, I've been really happy with the DMG. It seems to contain a lot of useful information, but it's all very dense. I've been DMing for a while but need a lot of help improving my style and the DMG seems to have a lot of tips to get you thinking about things the right way behind the screen. It's so dense though that it is hard to know where to start.

What parts of the DMG have been inspiring to you for ideas? What parts of the DMG have been the most useful for you in running? And most importantly what parts of the DMG should be looked at first?

Baptor
2014-12-21, 12:14 AM
Hey all, I've been really happy with the DMG. It seems to contain a lot of useful information, but it's all very dense. I've been DMing for a while but need a lot of help improving my style and the DMG seems to have a lot of tips to get you thinking about things the right way behind the screen. It's so dense though that it is hard to know where to start.

What parts of the DMG have been inspiring to you for ideas? What parts of the DMG have been the most useful for you in running? And most importantly what parts of the DMG should be looked at first?

I just got mine and have been flipping through it, and I'll say this. I've picked up a lot of D&D books in my life, and usually I can scan a book and know what chapters I will find interesting for later reading. This book...every chapter will need a good read through. Too much goodness.

mr_odd
2014-12-21, 12:18 AM
I just got mine and have been flipping through it, and I'll say this. I've picked up a lot of D&D books in my life, and usually I can scan a book and know what chapters I will find interesting for later reading. This book...every chapter will need a good read through. Too much goodness.

This encourages me. I have had a lot of issues with Amazon trying to get mine. At least it will be worth the wait.

Mrmox42
2014-12-22, 02:40 AM
I find many many goodies in this DMG.

One point that I like, personally, are all the tables. They remind me of the AD&D DMG, and I see myself using the Random Dungeon Generation Tables a lot.

The new DMG lack the Random Harlot table from the old book, though :smallcool:

Lemurion
2014-12-22, 09:53 AM
I find many many goodies in this DMG.

One point that I like, personally, are all the tables. They remind me of the AD&D DMG, and I see myself using the Random Dungeon Generation Tables a lot.

:(

I saw that - luckily, I have my original DMG out where I can get to it.

Demonic Spoon
2014-12-22, 10:14 AM
The bits on mapping are actually fairly useful; they gave me an idea of what kind of scale I should be considering in terms of mapping out the general terrain.

The section on other planes is great - they're brief, but they give enough useful information that a DM who doesn't know about them from other sources can use them.

Feldarove
2014-12-22, 10:20 AM
I would start with magic items. Its always fun reading about magic items, and PCs are always clamoring for more magical loot.

The magic item section isn't broken up into parts, its just a long list of items, sorted alphabetically. While obviously things get lumped together by description (ring of, potion of, etc), I found it annoying that things were divided into item parts. Like rings, wands, staffs, armor. I liked that about the 3.5 DMG...made it easy to navigate.

Since its a bit tricky finding your way around the magic item section, and ITS HUGE, I would start there.

Demonic Spoon
2014-12-22, 10:23 AM
The magic item section isn't broken up into parts, its just a long list of items, sorted alphabetically. While obviously things get lumped together by description (ring of, potion of, etc), I found it annoying that things were divided into item parts. Like rings, wands, staffs, armor. I liked that about the 3.5 DMG...made it easy to navigate.

I'm not sure of the advantage of breaking it out that way. When do you think "I want to give a magic ring specifically. Let me go to the ring section and see what's there". I only feel that way about certain kinds of consumables, but those are already grouped by name (scroll of... wand of...)

I believe it's alphabetical to make it easy to flip to something after you roll on a magic item table.

Feldarove
2014-12-22, 10:58 AM
I typically like to plan out my magic items more than I randomly roll for them (or have the players roll). So, most of the time when I am looking for a magical item, I open up the DMG and go, "What wand do I want my deranged wizard NPC to be wielding that the party can get as loot if they defeat him"

However, you are correct, it is set up nicely for rolling up loot. That also seems to be the theme of the DMG in total, so in that regards, the book is consistent, and the magic item section is set up well.

archaeo
2014-12-22, 01:06 PM

You know, I have to say, I've seen several people mourn the lack of something like this, but it's frankly a bit of verisimilitude that I'm not sad to see gone. If your D&D campaign includes so many prostitutes and wenches that you need a whole random table governing their appearance and attitude, well, jeez.

Not to get all moral crusader-y, or anything, but it doesn't bother me a bit if DMs who want that kind of thing have to put it together themselves.

Feldarove
2014-12-22, 02:35 PM
You know, I have to say, I've seen several people mourn the lack of something like this, but it's frankly a bit of verisimilitude that I'm not sad to see gone. If your D&D campaign includes so many prostitutes and wenches that you need a whole random table governing their appearance and attitude, well, jeez.

Not to get all moral crusader-y, or anything, but it doesn't bother me a bit if DMs who want that kind of thing have to put it together themselves.

Could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that everyone is joking about that. Its a bit of throwback novelty. Like "Can you believe this table of whores use to exist?!"

That being said, not only should there be a table for whores in the DMG, but also, a table for disease that you roll on after visiting a whore from the table you roll on.

mr_odd
2014-12-22, 06:32 PM
Could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that everyone is joking about that. Its a bit of throwback novelty. Like "Can you believe this table of whores use to exist?!"

That being said, not only should there be a table for whores in the DMG, but also, a table for disease that you roll on after visiting a whore from the table you roll on.

There should just be tables to see what tables you roll on. Table-ception.

I just got the DMG this morning, and I must say, it seems pretty amazing compared to the 3.5 DMG. There were a lot of things in the 5 DMG that I had to scour through splatbooks of 3.5 to find.

My favorite sections have to be the DM's Workshop in general, they make it soooo easy to stat up your custom monsters, and the villian, npc, world building sections. They give you advice and then present you with glorious tables that give you examples.

Mrmox42
2014-12-23, 02:45 AM
If your D&D campaign includes so many prostitutes and wenches that you need a whole random table governing their appearance and attitude, well, jeez.

I am making fun :smallsmile:

Merry Christmass

Goosefarble
2014-12-23, 12:34 PM
The loot tables have been good, I must say. And I've particularly enjoyed the bits about seafaring and ship encounters and whatnot. As a first time DM, I've never had any experience with past DMGs, but I've heard very good things about this one compared with others.

Louro
2014-12-23, 06:15 PM
The best of the DMG?
Its usefulness, no doubt. Lots of useful things to get ideas and inspiration to set up your campaign, like maps, dungeons building, alternative features, personal monsters, downtime stuff...
Lots of goodies instead of more and more rules.

archaeo
2014-12-23, 09:36 PM
I am making fun :smallsmile:

Merry Christmass

Oh, I figured! Just was on my mind.

And a merry xmas to you!

Pex
2014-12-24, 12:02 AM
Probably not helpful to the OP's purpose, but my favorite part of the DMG is the magic items just to have an official stamp that yes, PCs can have magic items already, Bounded Accuracy hounded smackery. PCs not needing them is NOT the same thing as PCs never having them. It's a personal pet peeve I feel the need to repeat this from time to time.

Celcey
2014-12-26, 01:02 PM
Definitely the early parts on creating cities and governments and the like. So much inspiration right there. It was fantastic. Every time I open it up I need my notepad to write down all my ideas.

Palorin
2014-12-26, 02:51 PM
The best part of the new DMG is everything. The best explanation I have read for the new book is "the official hackers guide to D&D". Anything you wish to change, add, subtract, randomize, or create is found in this book. I can say from first-hand experience that the random dungeon generation section is perfect for rapid dungeon creation. I have also made several new spells, including a new cleric cantrip, and I am altering a few of the core classes and very minor ways. The book is all I could've wished for and more. As I haven't played since the Redbox, I can honestly say that I feel that this is the best edition ever made, and the new Dungeon Masters Guide and monsters manual only proved to me further that this is true.

/fanboy rant

Auramis
2014-12-27, 09:52 AM
The world-building sections are most definitely my favorite part of the book. I'm especially curious and always pondering the section on planar interaction and the cosmic arrangement of the world you're making, because I never considered the interaction between planes aside from its inhabitants crossing into another.

My brother loves the world building section, but he seemed particularly happy with the sections in the back on madness, honor, and the types of injuries players can sustain from combat that have long-term effects on the players. He said it's always bothered him how a player can get beat within an inch of his life in older editions and walk away completely fine. All three of these add much needed flavor, he says, and I agree entirely with him on it.

MadGrady
2014-12-29, 02:33 PM
I've had a lot of fun just rolling up random dungeons and having a blast with the utter randomness that it is. Having to make up history and story on the spot as players run through it has made for some hilariously fun moments.

Chadamantium
2014-12-30, 12:27 PM
For me, I really feel that the DMG really acknowledges that this is the DM's game where he is in full control. In 3,5, I found myself constantly having to look at rules on how to do this and that. Now I feel like I can wing it and not worry.

So my favorite part so far is the DM toolkit, specifically the monster and race builder.