PDA

View Full Version : How best to build this 8th level outdoorsy champion of nature?

ericp65
2014-12-21, 12:31 AM
Remaking an earlier edition PC in 5e...

Which 8th level character would make a more capable warrior of nature who focuses on athletic prowess, stealth, survival, and two-weapon combat: single-class Ranger, mc with Fighter, mc with Druid, mc with Rogue, or any other combination? Just asked over on Facebook, but I always get the best advice here, so what say ye? Female Elf forest-dweller, explorer of other lands, sworn enemy of a destructive nature god's followers.

Giant2005
2014-12-21, 12:41 AM
I don't see much of a reason to be anything but a pure Ranger for what you want. Although maybe a Rogue level or two would be fitting for Expertise in the skills you want to excel at. Mechanically a Rogue level would be an advantage but I just don't see the Rogue level fitting in with the spirit of the character you described.

ericp65
2014-12-21, 12:50 AM
I don't see much of a reason to be anything but a pure Ranger for what you want. Although maybe a Rogue level or two would be fitting for Expertise in the skills you want to excel at. Mechanically a Rogue level would be an advantage but I just don't see the Rogue level fitting in with the spirit of the character you described.

You're right: the roguish way isn't really thematically appropriate. MC rules say she'd get just one skill from the Rogue's list, too, and with Ranger + Wood Elf, I've got athletics, perception, stealth, and survival accounted for.

odigity
2014-12-21, 01:03 AM
Don't forget your Background, which will grant another two skill proficiences.

Unless you want to dip Fighter for a second fighting style or action surge, probably just stay with Ranger.

Feldarove
2014-12-21, 02:10 AM
Ranger is obvious and probably best choice. However, with the backgrounds, and imagination! You can make rogue or fighter work. If you like some of the features of those classes, don't feel its against your character concept to dip in them, or just flat out be that class.

odigity
2014-12-21, 02:20 AM
Quick shout out re Oath of Ancients Paladin. Nature-y, and mechanically superior to Ranger. Plus Paladin = Champion of X built-in.

Update: Also worth mentioning Forest Gnome, as they can speak to small animals. I don't mean once per long rest, or even casting a spell, I mean they can straight up chat with animals all day long.

T.G. Oskar
2014-12-21, 02:51 AM
Quick shout out re Oath of Ancients Paladin. Nature-y, and mechanically superior to Ranger. Plus Paladin = Champion of X built-in.

Lacks the Two-Weapon Fighting support, though. Even if it doesn't feel like it, the Two Weapon fighting style is necessary for proper TWF, even if it normally sucks.

If going Oath of Ancients Paladin, though, might as well get the Outlander background for Survival (no dice for Stealth, unless you get your GM to shift Athletics for Survival and get Athletics through Paladin proficiencies). It fits the theme, and makes you be closer to nature.

That said, single-classed Ranger isn't really that bad. Hunter Rangers are fairly good; their capstone is what makes them sucky, but you can probably dip another class (Rogue?) and do well. Hunter, probably going Colossus Slayer, Multiattack Defense, Whirlwind Attack and Evasion. You really don't sacrifice anything by dropping the last level of Ranger (it's the same as a 3.5 Rogue, except the 5e Ranger gets something, whether it's good or not). Feral Senses is actually pretty nice; it's three times better than the Rogue's Blindsense and it effectively negates Disadvantage, which is really good since it means you can get Advantage against the target without having that Disadvantage instance negate it. You only really need to choose your spells carefully, which is harder for TWF characters, but not impossible.

Madfellow
2014-12-21, 08:32 AM
You only really need to choose your spells carefully, which is harder for TWF characters, but not impossible.

Unless you take Warcaster, that is.

Felvion
2014-12-21, 08:47 AM
Thematically pure ranger is the obvious choise. On the other hand there are endless possibilities, just give us some more details about the way the old character used to work.
Would he be a str or dex based character? Did he have any unusual abilities (spells, supernatural abilities etc) related to nature or was it there just for the flavor? Is there an animal companion? Was he focused solely on fighting or were there other aspects like stealth or scouting also important?

ericp65
2014-12-21, 11:34 AM
Wow, got logged out while writing a response *LOL*

ericp65
2014-12-21, 11:39 AM
Erysseril is NG, hails from Cormanthor in the Forgotten Realms, and worships and serves Mielikki (whose Ranger specialty priests were known as Needles in previous editions). She fights with scimitar and battleaxe.

Her "official" 26th level character has the following classes:

Champion of the Wild Swift Hunter 5, Prestige Ranger 2, Wilderness Rogue 2, Forest Reeve 5, Shadowdancer 1, Warblade 1, Druid 5, Lion of Talisid 4, Bloodclaw Master 1. Not the exact progression by level, but these are the total levels in each of her classes.

Her animal companion is a celestial dire hawk.

ericp65
2014-12-21, 11:41 AM
If any more detail is needed, I have plenty of supporting notes. It might be good to work up a 20-level progression as a "career path" for the character to follow. I'd like to use the 8th level version in 5e to play an "alternate reality" version of her.

Felvion
2014-12-21, 12:07 PM
Well, that 26 build was more than i can handle! Anyway, starting at level 8 straight ranger seems the best choise. Can't go more in depth atm but the ranger can allow nice fighting skills, decent casting and lots of nature related stuff.
Perhaps your fighting style should change a bit. The ranger feels better based on dex but if you insist on axe and sword you'd better focus on strength. Other than that, the dual weilder seems nice but you may need those stats more.

odigity
2014-12-21, 12:45 PM
Her "official" 26th level character has the following classes:

Champion of the Wild Swift Hunter 5, Prestige Ranger 2, Wilderness Rogue 2, Forest Reeve 5, Shadowdancer 1, Warblade 1, Druid 5, Lion of Talisid 4, Bloodclaw Master 1. Not the exact progression by level, but these are the total levels in each of her classes

If I had any doubts about not missing 3.5e, you just cleared them right up. :) I have no desire to look up those prestige classes...

T.G. Oskar
2014-12-21, 02:22 PM
Unless you take Warcaster, that is.

I was saying because you only get 11 spells known through the course of 19 levels (20th level teaches no new spell, nor adds a new spell slot). Warcaster only makes those spells that require concentration easier, but I was saying because, as a Dual Wielder, you're missing on all of the arrow-based spells, like Swift Quiver, which means you need to choose which ones improve TWF and doesn't limit you to out-of-combat uses.

If I had any doubts about not missing 3.5e, you just cleared them right up. :) I have no desire to look up those prestige classes...

Champion of the Wild is an ACF, Swift Hunter is most likely jiriku's homebrew that combines Ranger and Scout, Prestige Ranger is on Unearthed Arcana (and by the looks of it, unless Champion of the Wild differs in Swift Hunter, chances are it's an illegal build), Wilderness Rogue is another UA variant (this time for Rogue), Forest Reeve is on Complete Champion and isn't as great as Holt Warden (no spell progression, all three of the Ranger's movement/tracking based abilities gained faster, fast movement, magic weapon and a way to get a temporary ability score boost), Warblade is a base class and meant for some maneuvers, Druid for the spells (maybe that's where the spellcasting for Prestige Ranger and Lion of Talisid is gained), Lion of Talisid grants a lot of great cat-related powers (including pounce and the ability to summon dire lions, though the latter is by 10th level in the PrC) and Bloodclaw Master grants a rage-like boost and skill with two weapons.

Aside from Forest Reeve, I didn't have to look in ANY book to remember those. Also, aside from Ranger and Warblade, I've never played ANY of those classes. I'm still excited for 5e, BTW.