PDA

View Full Version : Beastmaster Ranger argument; higher CR pets by RAW

SouthpawSoldier
2014-12-21, 12:44 AM
This Reddit thread (http://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2f2nyb/beast_master_ranger_rules_interpretation/) brings up an interesting RAW interpretation. Summarized, it points out the Medium Size and 1/4CR limits are only specified for the first pet gained at 3rd level. The paragraph on gaining replacement pets doesn't specify the size or CR limits, only that it is a non-hostile Beast.

I think this is a bit of a stretch as a RAW interpretation, but as a DM I could see the argument. Say the character gained experience (not XP) in animal husbandry from that first pet, and was able to bond with/train a higher CR or a Large+ creature later on. I wouldn't allow it if the player let the pet die right away, but FATE/Cortex systems have influenced my judgement. If a player could make the argument for moving up from a cat to a lion, based on what the character has done, how much would of an issue would it be?

Giant2005
2014-12-21, 12:48 AM
Depends on how carried away the player got with his next companion.
If I were going to let a Ranger have a stronger companion, I'd make sure I established some rules before-hand. I'd create a feat which the Ranger could take with clear limits - I'd even be willing to let the Feat companion be a second companion for the Ranger (As in 2 at a time not 1) as there isn't really any significant advantage in combat to having more than one.

Feldarove
2014-12-21, 02:05 AM
Definitely BM needs a boost, I think the RAW for it is clear. I would work with my players to setup a progression. Either upgrading or boosting the stat adjustments

SouthpawSoldier
2014-12-21, 02:37 AM
Now there's an interesting idea; adding creatures. Imagine a Ranger like FitzChivalry Farseer, bonded to a single wolf. As the character develops, gradually adding wolves to form a small pack. Cohesive team of mooks is still a threat to higher CRs, decent fluff, and offers the DM options for plot hooks (pack hierarchy, NPC reactions, feeding/hunting). Pretty much requires a wilderness campaign, but one could argue that applies to Rangers as a class.

Easy_Lee
2014-12-21, 04:13 AM
If you wanna pursue this thread and put a cap on it, simplest thing to do would be to use the druid shapeshift rules for ranger pet.

Bear in mind, this may not be balanced. Ranger pet adds ranger's proficiency bonus to its attacks and AC, and by RAW can wear barding. A mammoth with plate barding, especially magical, and the ranger's proficiency on top of that has 24AC. If the beastmaster then takes mounted combatant and rides the mammoth, the resulting character would be frightening.

Beleriphon
2014-12-21, 09:55 AM
If the beastmaster then takes mounted combatant and rides the mammoth, the resulting character would be frightening.

And awesome.

Inevitability
2014-12-21, 11:23 AM
If the beastmaster then takes mounted combatant and rides the mammoth, the resulting character would be frightening.

And awesome.

Frightnawesome?

Jlooney
2014-12-21, 11:45 AM
I agree. The amount of bull that a Nm has to deal with is crap. They have to give up their own actions to even make a companion worth it. Who cares if it's stronger. If i give up an attack I want something worthwhile.