PDA

View Full Version : TFW you win a fight you shouldnt have.

Tabris92
2014-12-21, 01:40 AM
Tonight in our session, we went up against two of DM's characters that were not meant to be beaten. He was having them do nonlethal damage cause he didnt want them to kill us, it was for a story related reason (I wont get into into why, as I dont fully understand yet) So, he gave them high hp and high damage. he seemed to neglect some other things, or so I think.
Well, Im playing two characters, a kensai 10/swordsage 10 and a wizard 6/ incantatrix 10.
We were fighting these guys, the battle was taking awhile. So I just said screw it, ima end this fight right now.
so, my DM allowed maneuevers to affect every attack on my turn, cause without it before I couldnt keep up on damage. Doing only single attacks with maneuevers, I was being outdone by my party. also, we arent 100% sure how strike maneuevers work in combat like that anyway. He did say that doing one attack as a standard action I would not be doing enough, and a majority of our party has optimized.
So, with that in mind thatll explain what happened here.

1.enemy is flanked by two party members
2. move over to enemy, initiate raging mongoose (giving me 2 additional attacks at full BaB)
3. Diamond Nightmare Blade (multiplies damage by 4)
4. Succeed on concentration check, roll to attack 3 times.
5. Every attack crit
6. Doing x8 damage (using a scythe)
7. After we added it all up, I just did 2.5k+ damage

again, this may not how it actually works, but our group isnt really nit picky about the rules, were just in it for a good time.
So, partys reaction to this was priceless

so this how is how it happened.
Me: I'm using Raging mongoose Boost and my strike is going to be Diamond Nightmare Blade.
DM: what do those do?
Me: (explained it)
DM: Ok, roll concentration check
Me: (rolls) did I beat his AC?
DM: yea, roll to hit
Me (rolls)
DM: dam, yea they all hit
Me: allright, rollling damage.
party: what the HELL?!
Me: is he dead?
DM: uhhh... no he still has 10 hp left. he surrenders
Me: idgaf (puts scythe against his neck and prepares to coup de grace, Fatality)
DM: arent you lawful?
Me: he didnt drop his weapon, i dont care.
DM: he drops his weapon
Me: ....fine
Kain (ooc) THERE IS NO REASON, TO DO THAT MUCH DAMAGE
Flokii: (also ooc) dude, what in the hell? the most I can hit is 500

conversation went along these lines for a few minutes. Party said, if im doing this much damage DM is gonna have to raise the CR on everything we fight. ok, good point.
It came to the conclusion that that combination of moves right there, is something to reserve for something that really warranted it. My party kinda banned it, and Im now sorta required to have permission to do it. Cause, if I was hitting like that in every fight we'd have a problem. Which I understand.
After this conversation I simply replied.. "Ok, But do I win?"
"yes, you win."
I now refer to this move as my "Limit Break" and this also how I earned the fear and begrudging respect of my party, who up until now were making me the butt of their jokes.

and, the wizard character...well, she managed to land a successful ray of enfeeblement and follow it up with a mindfrost spell, reducing the other bosses int to 0 and putting him into a coma. so, I guess I "single handedly" won a fight. A fight that the DM did not plan for us to win at all.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-21, 01:56 AM
So what you're saying is that your DM homebrewed some rules to let you do a bunch of damage, then you used them to do a bunch of damage?

Red Fel
2014-12-21, 01:59 AM
Yeah, that's not remotely how that works.

Diamond Nightmare Blade lets you make one melee attack, requires a Concentration check versus AC, and deals quadruple damage. Raging Mongoose allows you to make two additional attacks at your highest BAB with each weapon, for a maximum of four extra attacks. Nothing in Diamond Nightmare says that it applies to all attacks made - the language is "this attack deals four times your normal melee damage." At most, you get your one Diamond Nightmare attack, and add two attacks dealing normal damage (or four if you're dual wielding). And that's if your DM rules that Raging Mongoose can be used that way; many strikes are read to limit you to the single attack, and no others.

The Scythe quadruples damage on a crit, which is fine for the Raging Mongoose strikes; but on Diamond Nightmare, the multipliers would stack normally. So that's not x4x4 (x16), but rather x7. (Quick explanation: Crit multiplying more like adding +100%. So a 2x multiplier adds +100%, a 3x adds +200%, etc. A 4x multiplier adds +300%, and you have two of those, adding +600%, for a total of 700% damage.) And that x7 applies only to the Diamond Nightmare attack.

As an aside, how do you have both Diamond Nightmare and Raging Mongoose? Both are 8th-level maneuvers, requiring IL 15. You got IL 15 at level 20 (10 Swordsage + 1/2 x 10 Kensai = 15), at which point - assuming your 20th level was Swordsage - you learned one new maneuver. That means, unless you used a feat (which you don't get at 20), you shouldn't have learned two level 8 maneuvers.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-21, 02:05 AM
As an aside, how do you have both Diamond Nightmare and Raging Mongoose? Both are 8th-level maneuvers, requiring IL 15. You got IL 15 at level 20 (10 Swordsage + 1/2 x 10 Kensai = 15), at which point - assuming your 20th level was Swordsage - you learned one new maneuver. That means, unless you used a feat (which you don't get at 20), you shouldn't have learned two level 8 maneuvers.

Crown of the white raven would be my guess.

Tabris92
2014-12-21, 02:05 AM
So what you're saying is that your DM homebrewed some rules to let you do a bunch of damage, then you used them to do a bunch of damage?

yea, pretty much. I think it definitely went over his expectations, but again...we only play for a good time. all of our characters are kinda bending the rules like this and most of us are using homebrew races and classes. Its a very casual game.
so we are all on a level playing field, and in my opinion some of the homebrew classes are quite unbalanced. If I was playing a game where we were stricter on the rules, it wouldnt have been possible sure. We only have 2 other players hitting in the 4 digits, and they barely make it in there, so I thought this was quite the accomplishment all the same. And both in game and out, my character got some respect out of the party members, which is nice.