PDA

View Full Version : The roaches of the OOTS

Theodora
2007-03-29, 11:02 AM
:roach: The roaches of the Order of the Stick are amazing. They are evil too, as they live near evil persons (Redcloak, Xykon). They speak rarely, but when they do , they always have something interesting to say. Don't you think? I always pay attention to what these roaches say, although the letters are soooo small. They are so cynical...:roach:

Haruki-kun
2007-03-29, 11:05 AM
The Demon Roaches Rule

Theodora
2007-03-29, 11:08 AM
ALWAYS!!!!!! Red demon roaches... emmiting acid.

Raz
2007-03-29, 12:03 PM
They breath fire, not acid.

Or HAVE they let loose the acid and I haven't noticed?

But don't forget the one-time appearance of celestial roaches!

Crispy SpThief
2007-03-29, 12:13 PM
The Roaches are perfect for their non-sequiters and random commentary. They add that little something special to every comic they appear in.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-29, 01:52 PM
The text is small? I never found it hard to read.

Also: yes, the roaches do rock. Particularly in the roach motel scene.

Baalzebub
2007-03-29, 02:13 PM
What about the Celestial Roach?

Theodora
2007-07-27, 09:50 AM
I do not think there are any Celestial Roaches. A roach is just too... ugly and disgusting to become a celestial.:smallcool:
:roach: : Cause we like dirt.

Cubey
2007-07-27, 09:58 AM
Are you sure?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0193.html

Porthos
2007-07-27, 11:42 AM
Are you sure?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0193.html

Appopos of nothing, but I just wanted to let you know that I am stealing your sig (or rather the link in your sig). :smallbiggrin:

Man is that link going to be helpful with some of the neverending Law/Chaos debates round these parts. :smallamused:

ag30476
2007-07-27, 12:01 PM
:roach: The roaches of the Order of the Stick are amazing. They are evil too, as they live near evil persons ...They are so cynical...:roach:

Sounds like New York City roaches

BelkarPwnsAll!
2007-07-28, 10:09 PM
OOT (Out Of Text), How do I take the FF Quiz? I like the roaches because they shoot fire out like Sasuke! ROCK ON SASUKE-SAN!

PaladinFreak
2007-07-28, 11:52 PM
Roaches shall rule the world! Xykon is secretly a pawn of the demon roaches, and the MitD is a giant roach! They are playing both sides with their domination gaze, and Hinjo is their commander! It all makes sense!

*is hauled away in a straitjacket* I AM A GRUNGE DEMON FROM THE PLANET FUJUNRINKDY! I SHALL RULE THE W-*is slammed into a soundproof cell*

Belkar's Left Foot
2007-07-29, 12:14 AM
(finishes thread title sentence) win.

Weeping Willow
2007-07-29, 03:30 AM
Personally I totally dislike real-life roaches, but these 2 rule :smallsmile: .

Arnen
2007-07-29, 04:17 AM
OOT (Out Of Text), How do I take the FF Quiz? I like the roaches because they shoot fire out like Sasuke! ROCK ON SASUKE-SAN!

Yeah, but the roaches don't whine and complain nearly as much as Sasuke.

Yeah, the roaches are awesome, with their commentary and whatnot. It's remarkable, really, how one snarky comment delivered by a bug can lighten up a scene.

Ettlesby
2007-07-29, 04:32 AM
Yeah, but the roaches don't whine and complain nearly as much as Sasuke.

Yeah, the roaches are awesome, with their commentary and whatnot. It's remarkable, really, how one snarky comment delivered by a bug can lighten up a scene.

That gives me an idea!

*runs to script of Naruto* *slaps a Demon Roach where Sasuke should be*

There. Episode 100x better.

Arnen
2007-07-29, 04:56 AM
Oh, yes! :smallbiggrin: Does this mean Itachi will be portrayed by a slightly larger, psychotic, family-killing demon roach? :smallconfused:

:roach: Mangekyou Sharingan!!

Ettlesby
2007-07-29, 05:02 AM
Oh, yes! :smallbiggrin: Does this mean Itachi will be portrayed by a slightly larger, psychotic, family-killing demon roach? :smallconfused:

:roach: Mangekyou Sharingan!!

Nah, he'll just have to have a Demon Roach for a face.

"Like, not that I have a Demon Roach's head for a face, or that my head is a Demon Roach's head — like, my face is an entire Demon Roach."

Get the reference, by the way?

Arnen
2007-07-29, 05:22 AM
Few minutes on Illustrator, and voila! Check my new sig. :smallbiggrin:

Nope, don't get the referrence, though.

Say, do the demon roaches already have a fan club?

Felixaar
2007-07-29, 05:37 AM
Demon Roaches, in general, have always been my favourite character(s).

Emperor Ing
2007-07-29, 05:45 AM
Arnen, yes I believe I saw a :roach: fan club, sorry!

Delgarde
2007-07-29, 05:47 AM
Speak rarely? Not that I've noticed - the roaches appear in most scenes containing any of Xykon, Redcloak, or MitS. And they always have something to say, often more funny than whatever the actual stars said...

RAGE KING!
2007-07-29, 12:33 PM
THe roaches are sweet but i dont like how that one told the mitd to stomp.

Chronos
2007-07-29, 02:03 PM
Quoth PaladinFreak:
Roaches shall rule the world!Shall? What do you think they do now?

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-29, 02:43 PM
They're so quotable, too!

"What's a dead hobgoblin's favorite flavor of ice cream?"
"What?"
"Rocky road!"
"Hahahahaha!"

"The king demands... cake!"

"Sigh... his reign was brief, but eventful."

"What's a dead hobgoblin's favorite food?
"Didn't we do this bit already?"

"I'll inform Milan."

PMDM
2007-07-29, 02:50 PM
I've always assumed that the roaches were first just a gag, but then I notice that they seem to be Rich commenting on his own work. If there's a stupid joke to be made, or a plot hole to point out, the roaches do it, so we don't have to.

Olorin93
2007-07-29, 03:39 PM
I always thought the roaches were a reference to a particular political cartoonist who always had a little animalistic guy (not sure what he was supposed to be) in the corner who made some snarky comment on whatever the main topic of the cartoon was. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the cartoonist and I haven't been able to find any examples online.

Does anyone else recognize what I'm talking about and maybe know the name of the cartoonist?

dakiwiboid
2007-07-31, 11:42 PM
I always thought the roaches were a reference to a particular political cartoonist who always had a little animalistic guy (not sure what he was supposed to be) in the corner who made some snarky comment on whatever the main topic of the cartoon was. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the cartoonist and I haven't been able to find any examples online.

Does anyone else recognize what I'm talking about and maybe know the name of the cartoonist?

You're thinking of Pat Oliphant, I believe. The little critter is named Puck. Here's one of the comics with Puck in it (http://www.gocomics.com/patoliphant/2007/07/23/) and here's the Wikipedia entry that mentions Puck's name. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Oliphant)

Em Blackleaf
2007-08-01, 01:28 AM
I've always assumed that the roaches were first just a gag, but then I notice that they seem to be Rich commenting on his own work. If there's a stupid joke to be made, or a plot hole to point out, the roaches do it, so we don't have to.

That's an interesting thought, I thought they were just put in to comment about something for a little extra comedy.

Heainnailo
2007-08-01, 01:44 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but you put it much better than I ever would have been able to.

the_tick_rules
2007-08-01, 01:45 AM
they're funny. Fiendish roaches, aren't regular ones bad enough? Come to think of it shouldn;t those 2 roaches be 6000 by now?

Olorin93
2007-08-02, 04:35 AM
You're thinking of Pat Oliphant, I believe.

Yes, that's exactly it - thanks!

I think the roaches are the Giant's reference, maybe even tribute, to Pat Oliphant....

RedfortheRogues
2007-08-03, 10:53 AM
The roaches are the best!

Hushdawg
2007-08-03, 11:27 AM
they're funny. Fiendish roaches, aren't regular ones bad enough? Come to think of it shouldn;t those 2 roaches be 6000 by now?

Well now; we only see two at a time, but certainly there are a bunch more.

Now that I think about it there have been occasions where there are more than just two.

Start of Darkness has some good demon roaches, including a semi-origin.

Oberon
2007-08-03, 11:56 AM
They breath fire, not acid.

Or HAVE they let loose the acid and I haven't noticed?

Roaches breathe fire. Beetles (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html) spit acid.