PDA

View Full Version : Art I'm looking for an artist for a webcomic

Man on Fire
2014-12-21, 02:58 PM
After long, long period of complaining and constant disappointment in mainstream comics and growing desire to create something on my own, I've decided to try creating a webcomic. I'm teaming up with my friend as a co-writer to bring to life some of stories we came up with together. And we're looking for an artist that could illustrate them.

We're looking for a person willing to work on one of two stories.
First one is a mix of horror and superhero story, concerning a group of monsters gathered by a wealthy millionaire to work as his own superhero team. It's a dark and sometimes brutal tale, closer to its horror roots than superhero ones, but not without some humor, through a lot of it might be black comedy.

Second one starts with standard fantasy premise. Energetic, happy girl with dream of grandeur discovers incredible powers and decides to go and have adventures like characters from her favorite books. Selling points of this story are non-traditional setting and twist on typical fantasy tropes. Our protagonists expectations will be subverted a lot, getting her and her friends in a lot of trouble. Sometimes of the funny kind, much more often of dramatic one.

Cuthalion
2014-12-21, 08:02 PM
So that the next people who look at this don't have to waste their time:

What sort of price range are you looking at?

How much time commitment would you be thinking?

Thanqol
2014-12-22, 05:42 PM
Can we see an example of your writing?

Do you have any artistic skill? Are you willing to learn?

Can you prove that you have the commitment to handle a potentially indefinite time commitment on the internet?

And, as asked above, how much money are you offering?

Man on Fire
2014-12-29, 01:58 PM
It’s embarrassing to admit it out loud. Neither me or my partner have any experience. We never made or looked over a website, our writing works are at best some small beginnings and we never created a thing together. My friend’s morale is from glass and paper and I’m balancing on the edge of desperation, ready to write for the devil with my own blood. And what’s most important, we are boot poor. We tried to actually pull our financial resources together to hire an artist, but received only a cold shower upon finding out that no, our paychecks are not high enough to pay an artist a fair money. That’s why I need to underline this – this is not a professional project. At best it’s a hobby one, and from the eventual artist we would expect no more time and commitment than from somebody working on one, up to the point if they suddenly decide to walk out, they simply can. However, one thing we can promise is that if, by some microscopic chance, said comics makes any money, we will divide it fair between all parties involved.

Tiffanie Lirle
2014-12-29, 02:49 PM
<snip>

This has always been a troublesome topic around here. But I wish you both luck.

The elephant in the room is that most artists who have the capacity, patience and the will to work on a comic would rather make their own. I mean, why wouldn't they? If you want to get around that you need to give us something to work with to catch our interest and make us say "Wow, I really want to work on that project!". I would suggest getting together with your friend and writing us at least a short sample. Something to read and hook us in, ya'know? :smallsmile:

Man on Fire
2014-12-29, 04:23 PM
This has always been a troublesome topic around here. But I wish you both luck.

The elephant in the room is that most artists who have the capacity, patience and the will to work on a comic would rather make their own. I mean, why wouldn't they? If you want to get around that you need to give us something to work with to catch our interest and make us say "Wow, I really want to work on that project!". I would suggest getting together with your friend and writing us at least a short sample. Something to read and hook us in, ya'know? :smallsmile:

Just to be clear - are you suggesting we should write and post a part of the script or a full-fledged pitch for one or both of the stories?

Tiffanie Lirle
2014-12-29, 04:43 PM
Just to be clear - are you suggesting we should write and post a part of the script or a full-fledged pitch for one or both of the stories?

Both.

I get the feeling you're rushing into looking for an artist even though you don't have a completely finished concept yourself. Iron out the details first, figure out which story you want to tell and then write us an intro and a few pages so we can see what we'd be in for. :smallwink:

One step at a time, etc.

BeerMug Paladin
2014-12-29, 05:46 PM
Better yet, pick a story you'd like to tell that you think would work as simply writing, and go for it. That way, even if you don't get any artists interested in working with you, you'll at least still have something out there for people to see. Maybe after doing it for a while, you'll even have someone wanting to work with you on other projects.

I used to draw comics a while ago, and while I was never really good at the art part of things, that aspect of working on the comic took by far the most time.

Thanqol
2015-01-01, 06:37 PM
It’s embarrassing to admit it out loud. Neither me or my partner have any experience. We never made or looked over a website, our writing works are at best some small beginnings and we never created a thing together. My friend’s morale is from glass and paper and I’m balancing on the edge of desperation, ready to write for the devil with my own blood. And what’s most important, we are boot poor. We tried to actually pull our financial resources together to hire an artist, but received only a cold shower upon finding out that no, our paychecks are not high enough to pay an artist a fair money. That’s why I need to underline this – this is not a professional project. At best it’s a hobby one, and from the eventual artist we would expect no more time and commitment than from somebody working on one, up to the point if they suddenly decide to walk out, they simply can. However, one thing we can promise is that if, by some microscopic chance, said comics makes any money, we will divide it fair between all parties involved.

Yeah, a having an artist to work for you is a vanity piece, not a necessity. Despite having essentially no marketable skills you're still asking for someone to work for you for an indefinite time for nothing more than an even split of the money. This isn't a long ways off from asking, "Can I have infinite, free commissions for my personal project?" The answer is going to be 'no'. I wouldn't do this for my friends.

It sounds far more the case that you're sad and desperate and looking for validation for your writing. That's okay! We all do! I started a writethread on this forum yesterday for that purpose! The easiest vector to getting what you're actually after is to write and share fanfiction. It's an easy excuse to show us your writing chops and get instant feedback. It also puts you in touch with circles of like minded people, especially if you contribute as much to them as they do to you.

The harder - but infinitely more rewarding- approach is just to learn to draw yourself. I don't care if you've never sketched so much as a stick figure in your life. I did it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?347541-Thanqol-Learns-To-Draw-IV-NO-EXCUSES), you damn well can too if you put your mind to it.

Closet_Skeleton
2015-01-05, 09:50 AM
The elephant in the room is that most artists who have the capacity, patience and the will to work on a comic would rather make their own. I mean, why wouldn't they?

Time?

Some people are more interested in drawing than writing.

I'd be interested in drawing someone else's webcomic, but I'd need scripts and lax deadlines. My work would also be amateurish and have even worse backgrounds (my only real interest in doing it being a learning exercise).

Cardea
2015-01-05, 05:14 PM
As someone who is working on his own webcomic, this (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/3766/so-you-want-to-draw-a-webcomic)is one of the most solid pieces of advice I've found.

That said, having written examples for us and others to see, as has already been suggested, is a better approach at what you're hoping to do. Everyone can talk about passion and what they want. Its entirely different to show proof of it.