PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Aequar: Runite's Rise IC V

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-22, 12:13 AM
Badger:

The drunk man nods shakily and sits on the bed, trying and failing to push lank black hair off his gaunt face.

It's probably just her imagination, or her rising paranoia, but when Badger turns around, she thinks that maybe she sees a glimpse of clarity in the drunk man's otherwise bleary and unfocused gaze.

Artorias:

The halfling flails but manages to keep his balance, and he steps backwards and scrambles towards the window, barely managing to push himself out of it even though his fabric tears on a jagged shard of glass.

Map's updated and it's your turn!

Everyone else:

As Elsee, Sora, and Darric make their way to the next well they see Jadeite and Surdrak down the block, their arms full of fish and shellfish. Surdrak seems to be dragging Jadeite to random stalls selling herbs and fragrances.

Silverraptor
2014-12-22, 12:24 AM
"Oh Jadeite! Perfect timing running into you. We found some magic runes at the bottom of a well back there a ways."

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-22, 12:34 AM
Artorias rolls his eyes "Figuures" as he follows the halfling thief outside, before lashign with a precise strike to his legs trying to immobilize him

Move Action: Move to (G,2) Balance [roll0] (Artorias also auto passes the check :smalltongue:)
Standard Action: Initiate Rabid Wolf Strike-NON LETHAL
Attack [roll1]
Crit [roll2]
Damage [roll3]+[roll4] (RWS) Crit [roll5]NON-LETHAL
AC is 13 until the start of the next turn

Also I forgot I retrained a feat to Practiced Spellcaster, so Artorias CL is 6, not 2 :smallredface:

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-22, 12:56 AM
"Oh Jadeite! Perfect timing running into you. We found some magic runes at the bottom of a well back there a ways."

Jadeite perks up, and seems rather eager to get off of whatever topic Surdrak's chasing. "Really? Which well was this and what did you find?"

Artorias rolls his eyes "Figuures" as he follows the halfling thief outside, before lashign with a precise strike to his legs trying to immobilize him

Move Action: Move to (G,2) Balance [roll0] (Artorias also auto passes the check :smalltongue:)
Standard Action: Initiate Rabid Wolf Strike-NON LETHAL
Attack [roll1]
Crit [roll2]
Damage [roll3]+[roll4] (RWS) Crit [roll5]NON-LETHAL
AC is 13 until the start of the next turn

Also I forgot I retrained a feat to Practiced Spellcaster, so Artorias CL is 6, not 2 :smallredface:

The halfling dodges Artorias's wild blow and takes off running down the street.

Got anything else to catch him or slow him down?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-22, 12:58 AM
If he doesn't tumble I can stop him with an AoO and Hold the line.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-22, 01:07 AM
The halfling tries to tumble out of the way.

HHe's going at full speed, so it's DC 25. If failed, you get an AoO.

Tumble: [roll0]

Metawise, can you guess his class and level?

The thief tucks into a forward roll and easily springs to his feet out of range of Artorias's weapon.

Sorry man. You're up!

Athedia
2014-12-22, 01:13 AM
Badger:

The drunk man nods shakily and sits on the bed, trying and failing to push lank black hair off his gaunt face.

It's probably just her imagination, or her rising paranoia, but when Badger turns around, she thinks that maybe she sees a glimpse of clarity in the drunk man's otherwise bleary and unfocused gaze.

Badger tried to shake her feeling off but couldn't stop the uneasiness from creeping up. She paused and went back to the clerics. "Actually, you are going to be busy treating the already sick. I will stay here with him, though if you have anyone running errands soon if you could notify Jadiete from Leif's guild, the creepy elf, that I have his samples."

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-22, 01:18 AM
"Stay still gods dammit!" Artorias keeps chasing the thief, this time charging the thief while trying to stop him

Charging TRIP ATTACK!
[roll0] against touch AC
Strength check [roll1] (remember he has a -4 to his Dex check because he is small)
The attack provokes AoO from the halfling, though my AC is 17 once more

And.... not sure to be honest, Rogue is the only core class that has Tumble AND Balance as class skill, but that feels too obvious.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-22, 01:27 AM
Artorias:

The halfling stumbles over Artorias's sweep, and in the same movement Artorias shoves him over. With a shout, the thief falls to the ground.

Yeah, he's not making the opposed check. I'd add more but I'm about to go to bed.

Badger:

The clerics pause and look at Badger and the man. "Okay," one of them says a bit hesitantly, "But if he's not sick he's going to have to leave. We're not like Tiden's temples; even though the fresh air is good for the ill we only have so many beds to go around."

Meanwhile, the gaunt man lazily lifts his head as Badger approaches. "Thoughtyd gone," he slurs. "Dontcha havta...bug other people mindinther business?"

Athedia
2014-12-22, 01:33 AM
Artorias:

The halfling stumbles over Artorias's sweep, and in the same movement Artorias shoves him over. With a shout, the thief falls to the ground.

Yeah, he's not making the opposed check. I'd add more but I'm about to go to bed.

Badger:

The clerics pause and look at Badger and the man. "Okay," one of them says a bit hesitantly, "But if he's not sick he's going to have to leave. We're not like Tiden's temples; even though the fresh air is good for the ill we only have so many beds to go around."

Meanwhile, the gaunt man lazily lifts his head as Badger approaches. "Thoughtyd gone," he slurs. "Dontcha havta...bug other people mindinther business?"

'We don't need you drowning. So I can wait here until you are sober and then I will walk you home."

Silverraptor
2014-12-22, 03:16 AM
Jadeite perks up, and seems rather eager to get off of whatever topic Surdrak's chasing. "Really? Which well was this and what did you find?"

Sora points behind her.
"Just back there. Here, I'll show you."

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-22, 12:43 PM
'We don't need you drowning. So I can wait here until you are sober and then I will walk you home."

The man falls silent, then starts giggling. "Thanks, but...I'm notinna girls."

Sora points behind her.
"Just back there. Here, I'll show you."

Jadeite follows, and grimaces the moment he sees the state of the well. "And I suppose I'll have to go down there to investigate, won't I?"

Behind Jadeite's back, Surdrak grins at Sora, Elsee, and Darric, and "accidentally" trips. Of course, he "accidentally" lands against Jadeite's back and knocks the elf into the well with a shout and a sticky-sounding splash.

Was this appropriate?

Artorias:

The halfling thief, now sporting some scrapes and bruises, looks back at Artorias, tries to scramble to his feet and keep running.

You can make an AoO. Or try to grapple him or whatever. After the AoO it's your turn.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-22, 09:46 PM
Artorias lashes once more with his sword trying to cut any possible escape route

Using Stand Still: He takes no damage from the attack, but must make a reflex save DC 10+damage or stop his movement right there
Attack [roll0]
DC 10+[roll1]

Edit: Are you freaking kidding me? :smallsigh:

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-23, 12:06 AM
Artorias Swings wildly and misses--again. The halfling runs off, but not without a parting taunt of, "Seriously?"

But he lost time getting up, and Artorias is closer to chasing him down, even as he rounds a corner and momentarily escapes his view.

your turn. He's one move action away now. Get him again and you'll have run him down.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-23, 12:15 AM
Artorias ignores the taunt to the best of his ability, but deep inside him he has to agree with the thief. He continues to run after the halfling.

Not sure what do you mean by that, so I guess I'll try a grapple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple) (provokes AoO from the thief)
Touch attack [roll0]
Grapple check [roll1] (thief has a -4 on his check because of the small size) to initiate
Hold check [roll2]

Yeah... grappling is confusing

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-23, 09:53 AM
Artorias dives onto the halfling and grabs his vest. But the thief wiggles and pulls himself free. There's a loud sound of ripping fabric and Artorias is left holding torn scraps of a vest in his hands. The halfling, now clearly wearing a baggy chain shirt, throws a rude gesture in Artorias's direction and rounds the corner, vanishing from view.

and with that failure I'm gonna need another round of spot and listen checks. Ciaran can roll too.

Draconi Redfir
2014-12-23, 09:18 PM
Elsee snarled beneath her facemask and strick the back of Surdrak's knees with her arm. "You edeot! He could be enfected now!"

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-24, 12:36 AM
Everyone but Badger and Artorias:

"It's okay, look!" He laughs as he jabs the map with an outstretch finger. "Jadae's not in a sick well!" And with that he hops into the well with a splash and tries to pull Jadeite out. And tries again. And again. But the walls are slick with moss and algae and it's difficult to get a grip. Finally, eldritch appendages sprout from his back, grip the air and sides of the well, and hoist a sopping-wet Surdrak and Jadeite up. They sit on a nearby stone bench, drying themselves off and sitting in the sun, and Jadeite just looks at Surdrak.

Eventually, the elf says, "There was a transmutation rune in the well, probably reinforced with a Permanency spell, but it was physically broken and so I could not make out the specific spell it once was."

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-24, 02:48 PM
Artorias dives onto the halfling and grabs his vest. But the thief wiggles and pulls himself free. There's a loud sound of ripping fabric and Artorias is left holding torn scraps of a vest in his hands. The halfling, now clearly wearing a baggy chain shirt, throws a rude gesture in Artorias's direction and rounds the corner, vanishing from view.

and with that failure I'm gonna need another round of spot and listen checks. Ciaran can roll too.

"Dammit!" Artorias continues running looking for the halfling thief "He is not getting away this time"

Spot
Listen [roll1]
Scent [roll2]

Cyaran Spot [roll3] (10 ranks from being familiar, +8 racial +2 wis +2 alertness)
Listen [roll]1d20+12 (8 familiar +2 wis +2 alertness)

Athedia
2014-12-24, 03:01 PM
The man falls silent, then starts giggling. "Thanks, but...I'm notinna girls."

Badger couldn't help but look disgusted. He though she liked him? A drunk and possible saboteur? "Good. I am not into you."

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-24, 03:13 PM
"Dammit!" Artorias continues running looking for the halfling thief "He is not getting away this time"

Spot
Listen [roll1]
Scent [roll2]

Cyaran Spot [roll3] (10 ranks from being familiar, +8 racial +2 wis +2 alertness)
Listen [roll]1d20+12 (8 familiar +2 wis +2 alertness)

The alleyway connects to the street behind, and there's no trace of the thief in the alley, no smell except that of trash. He must have run to the street beyond, or hopped onto the rooves above...

At least, that's what Artorias is thinking, until Ciaran stops with a flash of there's the prey! echoing over the empathetic link. The Harris Hawk flies back a few feet to Artorias and then, silently, hovers over a trash can whose lid is ever so slightly askew.

Badger couldn't help but look disgusted. He though she liked him? A drunk and possible saboteur? "Good. I am not into you."

The man hiccups. "Yannow any guys then?" He tries to scratch his head but bends his arm at a verry strange angle, almost as if he forgot which way the elbow joint goes. "Dontcha haveta go get more water anyway? Whasit for?"

If you have trouble understanding what he's saying then read it out loud.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-26, 11:43 AM
Artorias stops in front of the trash can, he opens it and peers inside it.

super dark33
2014-12-26, 11:44 AM
So what do you think, vandalists, terrorists, conspiracists or decay?

Surdrak twirled in the air a few times, throwing drops of water around and messing his hair even more. He shuffled it back into a less messy mess.
Then he sat back next to Jadeite.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-26, 11:56 AM
Artorias stops in front of the trash can, he opens it and peers inside it.

The halfling thief is curled up and crouched at the bottom of the can, so tightly that he would have never spotted it if not for Ciaran. He looks up with wide eyes and throws his hands up in surrender.

So what do you think, vandalists, terrorists, conspiracists or decay?

Surdrak twirled in the air a few times, throwing drops of water around and messing his hair even more. He shuffled it back into a less messy mess.
Then he sat back next to Jadeite.

"Why, it could be all of them," Jadeite says with that sly smile. "Though in this particular case it is most likely storm damage." He waves his hand, calling attention to the signs of flooding and smashed windows and trees and rooves around them. "Surdrak, how well can you detect and read magic?"

super dark33
2014-12-26, 05:36 PM
[Elven]Are your eyes red and hair green?[Elven]

Detect magic on everything.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-26, 05:46 PM
Jadeite claps his hands. "Perfect. Would you be so kind as to inspect an uncontaminated well and tell me what you find?"

There's a lot of magical things in Runite. But this damaged well is definitely not magical anymore!

super dark33
2014-12-26, 06:14 PM
This one is unmagical if you wanna know. WELL. i dont want to go alone to the next well. any of you want to come?

Elsee and Darric could go on their way if they wanted, Sora would be welcome, but Jadeite doesnt have choice in the matter, wheter Surdrak will need to convince him or just carry him by force, their quality time didnt end yesterday, well, at least not in his eyes.

He kept a harmless/seemingly harmless expression though.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-26, 06:20 PM
"We really should get these fish samples to an ice box or feed them to the rats along with our water samples quickly," Jadeite says as Surdrak all but frogmarches him to the nearest clean well. "I have heard that shellfish spoil notoriously quickly, particularly in this heat and humidity."

Indeed, it's early afternoon, the hottest part of the day by far, and the few people who were on the streets have retreated to seek the cool and shade. Even the twenty minute walk leaves them sweating and thirsty, and the sight of the well is a welcome relief.

So, how do you want to get in the well? Also I might be seeing a movie in a bit.

What do you want to do?

Also I might be seeing a movie in a bit.

Badger:

The man alternates between nodding off and making comments until he finally seems to doze off.
What do you want to do?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-27, 12:02 AM
The halfling thief is curled up and crouched at the bottom of the can, so tightly that he would have never spotted it if not for Ciaran. He looks up with wide eyes and throws his hands up in surrender.

Artorias picks up the halfling thief by the scruff of his neck and bring him to eye level "Here it is whay is going to happen, you are going to give me my vials back and then I'll take you to the guard." he proceeds to glare at him "Am . I. Clear?" Cyran for her part perches down on Artorias shoulder and glares too at the thief.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-27, 12:25 AM
Loose chainmail clinks beneath rough cloth between Artorias's fists. The halfling looks up, then down, then up again, then over at Ciaran and her long sharp talons, then gulps and hastily nods.

Search check to pat him down. You might also want to restrain him.

super dark33
2014-12-27, 07:56 PM
Hey, you asked for it! Besides, rats eat rotten stuff all the time, i doubt it affects the results even if the fish were all to spoil that quickly.

Surdrak scanned the well. While he didnt let go of Jadeite the grab was weaker.

Say, what are we doing after we get all these back?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-27, 10:08 PM
Loose chainmail clinks beneath rough cloth between Artorias's fists. The halfling looks up, then down, then up again, then over at Ciaran and her long sharp talons, then gulps and hastily nods.

Search check to pat him down. You might also want to restrain him.

"Good" Artorias pats him down one handed before producing a rope from his Survival pouch, it wouldn't last much, but it would serve to hold him in the meanwhile

Search [roll0]
Use rope [roll1]

Edit: The RNG wants to tell me something >_>

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-27, 10:33 PM
Hey, you asked for it! Besides, rats eat rotten stuff all the time, i doubt it affects the results even if the fish were all to spoil that quickly.

Surdrak scanned the well. While he didnt let go of Jadeite the grab was weaker.

Say, what are we doing after we get all these back?

"But humans do not," Jadeite pauses and remembers the endcatch stew, "at least they usually do not," he amends, "And so we must make this as accurate as possible."

When Surdrak lets go of Jadeite the necromancer gets a few more samples, carefully, with a Mage Hand spell that dips down into the well. The vials come up wet on the outside, and the beads of cool water are tempting in this increasingly sweltering heat. It feels like it's getting hotter by the minute.

Jadeite wipes the sweat off his brow before replying, "Once we confirm that the water is causing the wells are damaged and the water is causing this epidemic, we should take this proof to Dierdre."

Are you gonna check the inside of the well?

"Good" Artorias pats him down one handed before producing a rope from his Survival pouch, it wouldn't last much, but it would serve to hold him in the meanwhile

Search [crap]
Use rope [also crap]

Edit: The RNG wants to tell me something >_>

Artorias can't find much of anything underneath that overly baggy chain shirt, which is so much shinier than the rest of him, and quickly warming in the hot summer sun. He doubts he can even tightly bind the halfling with that shirt on. For his part the thief struggles and squirms, but can't break free.

Yeah it's telling you to TAKE 20!

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-27, 10:58 PM
Deciding to not take any more risk with this pesky thief Artorias takes some time to secure the halfling

use rope 22 (take 20)
Search 31 (take 20)

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-27, 11:07 PM
The thief is silent as Artorias thoroughly searches, binds, and gags him. He's wearing drab clothes perfect for skulking in the shadows, several daggers, saps, and hand crossbows, a vial of universal solvent around his neck, a few coins, some dried fruit and meat, and an oversized chain shirt, too loose and baggy to be his. It takes Artorias far too long to find the stolen well samples, and when he feels wetness on his fingers, his heart sinks. Any hope that the dampness is from sweat alone is dashed when sharp glass shards cut his hands. The halfling thief looks up with a smirk.

In the end, Artorias is able to rescue some of the samples, but over half are smashed and ruined.

Although, when Artorias frantically searches the halfling for every last vial, he comes across a crumpled-up piece of paper. The thief's smirk fades slightly at the sight of it.

Take 1 damage from the glass.

You did get some information from here though.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-27, 11:59 PM
"God's dammit" Artorias curses under his breath as he cuts himself. He ignores the pain as he quickly checks the crumpled piece of paper, anything to wipe the smirk off the halfling's face.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-28, 01:00 AM
Water from both the broken samples and the thief's own sweat have smeared most of the ink, and what's present is cryptic (there isn't an author either, of course), but Artorias is able to glean some information. It appears to be a contract of sorts, instructions to steal something--the water samples, Artorias suddenly realizes, and a promise of payment upon delivery or destruction of the samples to...some place. The address is smeared beyond legibility and Artorias gets the sense that it would have been a generic nondescript location anyway. The letter also makes a mention of loaning a chain shirt to the thief.

But one thing is clear: Someone hired this thief.

Draconi Redfir
2014-12-28, 01:57 AM
Elsee blinked slightly in a bit of confusion, both at Darric and Sora, Jadeite if he was still with them.

"So... now what do we do?"

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-28, 01:03 PM
Darric scratches his head. "Well, we could get sokerhibh to eat, though the endcatch carts are pretty much the only guys still around the Docks--even the noodle bar closed up shop after the storm and the plague," he says, more than a little crestfallen as he speaks. "Great Gate and the shops above are a bit better but no way id go there now...though...I guess with Sora around we should be okay."

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-29, 11:07 AM
Water from both the broken samples and the thief's own sweat have smeared most of the ink, and what's present is cryptic (there isn't an author either, of course), but Artorias is able to glean some information. It appears to be a contract of sorts, instructions to steal something--the water samples, Artorias suddenly realizes, and a promise of payment upon delivery or destruction of the samples to...some place. The address is smeared beyond legibility and Artorias gets the sense that it would have been a generic nondescript location anyway. The letter also makes a mention of loaning a chain shirt to the thief.

But one thing is clear: Someone hired this thief.

Artorias narrows his eyes "You know, I was planning on taking you to the guard and let them deal with you, but this" he brandishes the damp note in front of the halfling thief's face "made me change my mind." Artorias sends Cyaran a message through their empathic link "find rest of pack". Cyaran gives a soft cry of understanding and takes to the skies with the intent of finding the rest of the flock.

Artorias is trying to regroup, ideally with Badger first, she is our best interrogator (probably the only one)

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-29, 11:50 AM
The thief pales and swallows as Ciaran gives a mental signal of understanding and takes flight, soon becoming a black speck against the hot summer sun...

Badger, some time later...:

When the man sobers up, and still shows no signs of illness, Badger decides to escort him home. It's not as if she had much of a choice though--more people are coming in sick and the temple of Sylph is overtaxed as it is. They need every bed they can get.

The man seems a bit more active now, and doesn't give out an address, instead saying, "Look, I--my home's kind of flooded right now, so I've been spending a lot of time with friends, if you could just leave me at--"

He falls silent, because right in front of him and Badger, perched on an awning, is a Harris Hawk. Harris Hawks don't live in Runite, and even if they did the anklets and jesses easily identify her as Ciaran. She looks at Badger and the man, staring at them intently, then lets out a loud hoarse cry. If Badger doesn't respond the hawk stares at her and shouts again.

If you're not escorting the guy home, let me know and I'll change it. Oh, and this is an approximation of what Ciaran looks and sounds like now. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azBrZlzwLbc)

Athedia
2014-12-29, 12:44 PM
The thief pales and swallows as Ciaran gives a mental signal of understanding and takes flight, soon becoming a black speck against the hot summer sun...

Badger, some time later...:

When the man sobers up, and still shows no signs of illness, Badger decides to escort him home. It's not as if she had much of a choice though--more people are coming in sick and the temple of Sylph is overtaxed as it is. They need every bed they can get.

The man seems a bit more active now, and doesn't give out an address, instead saying, "Look, I--my home's kind of flooded right now, so I've been spending a lot of time with friends, if you could just leave me at--"

He falls silent, because right in front of him and Badger, perched on an awning, is a Harris Hawk. Harris Hawks don't live in Runite, and even if they did the anklets and jesses easily identify her as Ciaran. She looks at Badger and the man, staring at them intently, then lets out a loud hoarse cry. If Badger doesn't respond the hawk stares at her and shouts again.

If you're not escorting the guy home, let me know and I'll change it. Oh, and this is an approximation of what Ciaran looks and sounds like now. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azBrZlzwLbc)

"Your friends are letting you fall down a lot of wells and that is dangerous these days. I will pay for a room at an inn, I just need you to come with me."

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-29, 12:57 PM
The man's eyes widen. "Thank you," he says, almost in disbelief.

As Badger heads off to an open inn--there aren't many left, especially in this part of town, Ciaran follows her, calling out all the while.

Anything else? Where are you headed?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-29, 01:53 PM
Artorias had been making his way towards the center of the city, who knows were Badger would be right now, but suddenly he feels the distinct feeling of found pack through his empathic link. Smiling he makes his way towards the place he feels Cyaran is at. He drags the Halfling thief behind him, pointedly ignoring any odd look he might be receiving.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-29, 03:08 PM
Artorias:

Artorias openly drags the thief through the streets, sometimes frogmarching or carrying him. There are some people on the streets, and whenever anyone stares or tries to intervene he simply shouts, "Guild Business!" He can feel Ciaran openly and closely tailing Badger and follows his familiar's link, noting when she (and therefore Badger and this other person) turn south, then west.

I'll update after seeing the results of these rolls.

Something: [roll0]
Something else: [roll1]

EDIT: The thief is struggling the whole time, and when Artorias is a little more than halfway to Badger when the halfling manages to spit out his gag and shout, "HELP! I'M BEING KIDNAPPED!" He thrashes and shouts and that gets people's attentions.

I'm going to need a charisma or diplomacy check, whichever is higher.

Jadeite and Surdrak:

They finally make it to a clean well and dive in, scanning the walls with Detect Magic, staying under as long as their lungs allow. The two spellcasters first try descending the well simultaneously, but it's a bit too narrow for both of them and they get stuck upon trying to get out, much to the amusement of those passing by. After that they go down one at a time.

It's difficult to find what they're looking for--the inside of the well is only lit by the sun and even that light is blocked by a roof above the well, and the stone itself is jagged with some false carvings to boot, but they eventually find it.

Wedged into a corner of the stone, carved in deep, is a rune of Purify Food and Drink, secured with a Permanency spell.

Athedia
2014-12-29, 04:58 PM
The man's eyes widen. "Thank you," he says, almost in disbelief.

As Badger heads off to an open inn--there aren't many left, especially in this part of town, Ciaran follows her, calling out all the while.

Anything else? Where are you headed?

"Ciaran wait a minute okay." Badger pulled the man faster. "Hurry up I have to finish my job and I am behind now." In the inn she grabbed the owner. "Look I know you are full up but I need a room for this guy, and for you to keep all alcohol away from him."

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-29, 11:22 PM
"Ciaran wait a minute okay." Badger pulled the man faster. "Hurry up I have to finish my job and I am behind now." In the inn she grabbed the owner. "Look I know you are full up but I need a room for this guy, and for you to keep all alcohol away from him."

Ciaran makes an odd grunting sound and keeps following, coming to perch on top of the sign marking the Bring 'Em Inn on the north end of the Docks. The inn is small, with beer and wine barrels shoved under the stairs leading up to the second floor, dried herbs and fish hanging off the ceiling, and tables almost pressed against each other, but the utter lack of people makes the inn look even more desolate despite its small size. A portly man looks up from the bar, where he's cleaning a glass so much that it actually squeaks. Badger's words come out in a tumble and he splits into a broad grin at the sight of a new customer. "Of course, of course!" he says, stepping out from behind the bar and motioning for Badger to give the man to him. "How long will he be here for?"

Athedia
2014-12-30, 01:04 AM
Ciaran makes an odd grunting sound and keeps following, coming to perch on top of the sign marking the Bring 'Em Inn on the north end of the Docks. The inn is small, with beer and wine barrels shoved under the stairs leading up to the second floor, dried herbs and fish hanging off the ceiling, and tables almost pressed against each other, but the utter lack of people makes the inn look even more desolate despite its small size. A portly man looks up from the bar, where he's cleaning a glass so much that it actually squeaks. Badger's words come out in a tumble and he splits into a broad grin at the sight of a new customer. "Of course, of course!" he says, stepping out from behind the bar and motioning for Badger to give the man to him. "How long will he be here for?"

"A few days at the least, til I can sort some things out. How much?"

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 01:13 AM
Badger:

The man looks up at the ceiling where the rooms are, then back at Badger. He rubs his bristled chin and says, "With food and the best room, 50 gold should cover the better part of a week."

Athedia
2014-12-30, 01:31 AM
Badger:

The man looks up at the ceiling where the rooms are, then back at Badger. He rubs his bristled chin and says, "With food and the best room, 200 gold should cover the better part of a week."

"Best room? Why would I pay for that? I don't have 200 gold to spend on anything."

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 01:43 AM
The innkeeper shrugs. "I thought you might want a nicer setup." next to badger her charge nods vigorously.

"Though I guess a smaller room would work for about 25 gold."

ok I really need to sleep now. Night!

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-30, 04:16 PM
Artorias:

Artorias openly drags the thief through the streets, sometimes frogmarching or carrying him. There are some people on the streets, and whenever anyone stares or tries to intervene he simply shouts, "Guild Business!" He can feel Ciaran openly and closely tailing Badger and follows his familiar's link, noting when she (and therefore Badger and this other person) turn south, then west.

EDIT: The thief is struggling the whole time, and when Artorias is a little more than halfway to Badger when the halfling manages to spit out his gag and shout, "HELP! I'M BEING KIDNAPPED!" He thrashes and shouts and that gets people's attentions.

I'm going to need a charisma or diplomacy check, whichever is higher.

Artorias resists the urge to facepalm at the theif's bold lies "For Mars' sake" he yanks the Halfling closer to himself "citizens of Runite, that is a lie, I caught this thief pickpocketing myself and restrained him to be taken to Leif's guild for interrogation." he hopes that mentioning Leif will sway people to trust him, he knew how fickle crowds could be, specially in times like this so he doesn't stop his way towards Ciaran and (hopefully) Badger.

You just had to choose my worst skills did you? :smalltongue:

Anyway it is an unmodified d20 roll either way, so here it goes [roll0]

Athedia
2014-12-30, 04:19 PM
Badger growled a little about overcharging merchants and passed over the money. "Remember, NO alcohol. I don't want him taking a third swim."

Leaving the man in the inn she nodded to Ciaran and motioned for the bird to lead the way.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 06:23 PM
Artorias resists the urge to facepalm at the theif's bold lies "For Mars' sake" he yanks the Halfling closer to himself "citizens of Runite, that is a lie, I caught this thief pickpocketing myself and restrained him to be taken to Leif's guild for interrogation." he hopes that mentioning Leif will sway people to trust him, he knew how fickle crowds could be, specially in times like this so he doesn't stop his way towards Ciaran and (hopefully) Badger.

You just had to choose my worst skills did you? :smalltongue:

Anyway it is an unmodified d20 roll either way, so here it goes [roll0]

The witnesses on the street stand still, seemingly wary and not quite convinced until someone comes forward. He grins and says, "Hey, I remember you! Everyone," he turns around, addressing the crowd, "this man and his friends helped save someone from a house fire a few months back, pulled him right out of the burning building while they were on fire themselves! And then they helped catch that half-drow serial killer not but a few days after that!" Indeed, Artorias recognizes the man--he's the one who runs the curry restaurant where he, Badger, and Jadeite had the phaal contest, who offered them all a free meal after saving Feliks from the fire. He turns back to Artorias and says loud enough for everyone to hear, "If you say he's a theif and you're taking him to Leif, that's good enough for me."

And with that, the crowd calms down and lets them pass. The thief, wide-eyed, continues shouting and pleading in a more panicked tone even as Artorias drags him off.

Badger growled a little about overcharging merchants and passed over the money. "Remember, NO alcohol. I don't want him taking a third swim."

Leaving the man in the inn she nodded to Ciaran and motioned for the bird to lead the way.

"You've got it," the man says as Badger exits the Bring 'Em Inn, leaving a bemused innkeeper and smiling scruffy skinny man behind her. She follows Ciaran down the widening streets, over debris and puddles and a few sick people and beggars in the gutters, until she literally runs into Artorias. He's dragging a tied-up halfling behind him.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-30, 06:58 PM
Artorias is too busy dragging the thief that he fails to see where he is going and all but tramples a smaller person."what.... oh Badger.... I'm sorry." he apologizes " Actually, you were just the person I was looking" he once again grabs the halfling by the scruff of the neck and rises him towards her eye level "Caught this little rat in the market district, he pick pocketed me and when I got him I found something really interesting" using his free hand, he retrieves the note he got from frisking the thief "Someone hired him".

Draconi Redfir
2014-12-30, 07:07 PM
Darric scratches his head. "Well, we could get sokerhibh to eat, though the endcatch carts are pretty much the only guys still around the Docks--even the noodle bar closed up shop after the storm and the plague," he says, more than a little crestfallen as he speaks. "Great Gate and the shops above are a bit better but no way id go there now...though...I guess with Sora around we should be okay."

"No offence Darric, but given recent events 'm stayeng far the hell away from seafood. Great Gate et is." Elsee grinned and twirled a Kurkri about breifly to show she wasn't worried, and so far Sora hadn't objected, she probably wasn't interested in endcatch either. Either way Elsee wasn't worried about going with or without her, worse came to worse she could probably sneak in the back and yank some guy's meal that had been made but not served yet.

Athedia
2014-12-30, 07:30 PM
Artorias is too busy dragging the thief that he fails to see where he is going and all but tramples a smaller person."what.... oh Badger.... I'm sorry." he apologizes " Actually, you were just the person I was looking" he once again grabs the halfling by the scruff of the neck and rises him towards her eye level "Caught this little rat in the market district, he pick pocketed me and when I got him I found something really interesting" using his free hand, he retrieves the note he got from frisking the thief "Someone hired him".

"I was afraid you were going to say you found him drunk in a well... never mind. He tell you who hired him?" Badger looked tired and cross, her samples in her pack.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-30, 07:32 PM
"Why were you fearin.... nevermind" he shakes his head "No, you are much better than me at reading people and I didn't want to risk him fooling me"

Athedia
2014-12-30, 07:39 PM
"Why were you fearin.... nevermind" he shakes his head "No, you are much better than me at reading people and I didn't want to risk him fooling me"

"Fine." Badger gestured for Artorias to follow her to a less crowded area where she took hold of the halfling. "Look, I am tired, annoyed and up to a few hours ago infected with cholera. Who hired you, and if you lie, trust me I will know. And I don't like liars."

Athedia
2014-12-30, 07:41 PM
Sense Motive: [roll0]
Intimidate: [roll1]

EDIT: Ouch

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 08:09 PM
[roll0] He's level 6 but you forgot the size difference. I'll update and reply for the other group once I work on Soren's sheet a little bit.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 10:01 PM
"No offence Darric, but given recent events 'm stayeng far the hell away from seafood. Great Gate et is." Elsee grinned and twirled a Kurkri about breifly to show she wasn't worried, and so far Sora hadn't objected, she probably wasn't interested in endcatch either. Either way Elsee wasn't worried about going with or without her, worse came to worse she could probably sneak in the back and yank some guy's meal that had been made but not served yet.

"Well I definitely can't blame you," Darric says as they head to Great Gate.

Darric wasn't kidding. They've barely passed through the arches denoting the old boundaries of the city (Gate Gate is one of the oldest parts of Runite, around even before Dierdre and her sewer system came around) when the hostile glares towards the two Plavaan seem to multiply. People cross the streets to avoid them. Parents hold their children and belongings closer. Someone throws a bottle that shatters on the pavement. Again, Sora's presence seems to prevent things from escalating further, and when they round the corner another reason for the tensions becomes clear.

There's a cleared-out space in the middle of a park. Several dozen bodies (it would be hundreds in nearly every other part of the city) are stacked on top of one another, all placed on a massive pile of wood. Several clerics are reciting funeral rites, each in their own way.

"Fine." Badger gestured for Artorias to follow her to a less crowded area where she took hold of the halfling. "Look, I am tired, annoyed and up to a few hours ago infected with cholera. Who hired you, and if you lie, trust me I will know. And I don't like liars."

The halfling thief looks Badger over and scowls. Though his hands are bound he's able to lift them enough to give Badger two upturned middle fingers.

Athedia
2014-12-30, 10:13 PM
The halfling thief looks Badger over and scowls. Though his hands are bound he's able to lift them enough to give Badger two upturned middle fingers.

Badger sighed and looked at Artorias. "Didn't I say I was tired?" Then she quickly grabbed one of the upraised fingers and bent it backwards. "Who hired you?"

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 10:18 PM
The thief grits his teeth and cries out, shifting back instinctively (his chain shirt clinks and rubs against the bonds). "F-**** you!" he screams. "I've ****ed this up enough!"

You might want to try another intimidate check

Athedia
2014-12-30, 10:25 PM
The thief grits his teeth and cries out, shifting back instinctively (his chain shirt clinks and rubs against the bonds). "F-**** you!" he screams. "I've ****ed this up enough!"

You might want to try another intimidate check

"Yes you have, now who hired you?"

intimidate: [roll0]

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 10:27 PM
The halfling grits his teeth as Badger stares him down.

[roll0]

The thief growls and lowers his head, revealing a scar on his ear--someone's tried to beat information out of him before. "I'm not telling you a ****ing thing, you bitch!"

Athedia
2014-12-30, 10:33 PM
The halfling grits his teeth as Badger stares him down.

[roll0]

The thief growls and lowers his head, revealing a scar on his ear--someone's tried to beat information out of him before. "I'm not telling you a ****ing thing, you bitch!"

"So pain doesn't do it, but cholera might." She let go of the finger and pulled out one of the full vials. "Now I took a lot of samples, so one of these should work."

intimidate: [roll0]

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 10:37 PM
The halfling's eyes go wide. "You need those for a reason...You can't waste them, you wouldn't..."

Athedia
2014-12-30, 10:44 PM
The halfling's eyes go wide. "You need those for a reason...You can't waste them, you wouldn't..."

"I remember where I got them and for our purposes, well you could be our newest test rat." She pushed him to the ground and put her knee on his chest to hold him still. Pinching his nose she smiled down, but her eyes were cold and distant. "You have to breath eventually. Unless you want to talk, nod once if that sounds better."

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 10:55 PM
Badger drags the thief off to an empty alleyway filled with mildew and trash that stinks from the heat, pins him down, pinches his nose and tilts the vial towards his mouth. The halfling sweats and squirms and stares at Badger in fright, and eventually, finally, squeezes his eyes shut and frantically nods with a whimper.

Athedia
2014-12-30, 10:58 PM
She released his nose and pulled the vial away. "Who hired you?"

Sense Motive: [roll0]

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 11:02 PM
The halfling bolts as upright as he can, to a sitting position if possible and propped up on his elbows of he can't do that. He spends a few minutes panting and catching his breath before blurting out all in one breath, "I don't know, he never told me his name. Just found me and gave me the job. So drink that, bitch."

He's not lying, but you can ask him more if you want.

Athedia
2014-12-30, 11:07 PM
The halfling bolts as upright as he can, to a sitting position if possible and propped up on his elbows of he can't do that. He spends a few minutes panting and catching his breath before blurting out all in one breath, "I don't know, he never told me my name. Just found me and gave me the job. So drink that, bitch."

He's not lying, but you can ask him more if you want.

"You aren't blind. Human, elf, dwarf? Hair color, length. Describe him like you would a mark."

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 11:10 PM
He pauses. "Uh, human. Tall, sharp-looking, black hair and a fancy purple thing."

Athedia
2014-12-30, 11:15 PM
He pauses. "Uh, human. Tall, sharp-looking, black hair and a fancy purple thing."

"Not good enough. Where did you meet him, what were his instructions, who else did he involve, details. Or..." She held up the vial.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-30, 11:20 PM
"Not good enough. Where did you meet him, what were his instructions, who else did he involve, details. Or..." She held up the vial.

He gulps and screams out the words in one torrent. "I don't know! It was this bar in the docks and he gave me this chain shirt and told me to track you guys down and get those water samples away from you any way possible! Said he'd make me dragon-filthy rich if I did that! HELP! I'M BEING TORTURED! HELP!!!"

He's telling the truth, at least as far as he knows it.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-30, 11:35 PM
Artorias hands shoots and stops Badger from pouring the vial "Badger that's enough!" Artorias is a little surprised, he knew Badger could be extremely harsh with criminals, but he certainly wasn't expecting this. "There is no need for that, and this confirms it.... someone sabotaged the water and he doesn't want us to uncover him"

Athedia
2014-12-31, 01:13 AM
Artorias hands shoots and stops Badger from pouring the vial "Badger that's enough!" Artorias is a little surprised, he knew Badger could be extremely harsh with criminals, but he certainly wasn't expecting this. "There is no need for that, and this confirms it.... someone sabotaged the water and he doesn't want us to uncover him"

"You called me here. You knew what was going to happen." She moved her knee up to the halflings throat. "Anything else you remember about how he looked?"

CoffeeIncluded
2014-12-31, 02:50 PM
"I already told you, you ****," he spits, "I don't know anything else! This tall thin black-haired guy came up to me, tossed me a chain shirt and a sack of gold, and told me there was more if I took that water off you! What do you mean the wells were tampered with?!"

Please tell me if I should cut down on his cursing.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-12-31, 02:52 PM
"You called me here. You knew what was going to happen." She moved her knee up to the halflings throat. "Anything else you remember about how he looked?"

"I was expecting you to rough him up" he admits "But not this"

"I already told you, you ****," he spits, "I don't know anything else! This tall thin black-haired guy came up to me, tossed me a chain shirt and a sack of gold, and told me there was more if I took that water off you! What do you mean the wells were tampered with?!"

Please tell me if I should cut down on his cursing.

"That is none of your concern right now"

Athedia
2015-01-01, 12:09 AM
"I was expecting you to rough him up" he admits "But not this"

Badger pushed herself away from the halfling and started pacing near an exit in the alley. Her hands were shaking as she capped the vial and put it away in her pack. "I don't half ass my jobs. And he wouldn't talk for less, you get used to beatings, you have to find their real fears."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-01, 12:13 AM
The halfling shakily gets to his feet and tries to run away.

Athedia
2015-01-01, 12:21 AM
The halfling shakily gets to his feet and tries to run away.

As the halfling attempted to run Badger spun around, whipping her bow out from the quiver and fired two shots.

Nonlethal, shortbow

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] oops ignore

As the arrows missed Badger cursed and activated her boots as the halfling rounded the corner attempting to teleport in front of him.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-01, 12:23 AM
The halfling ducks below the two arrows which whiz overhead and keeps running.

EDIT: Badger pops into view...d2

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-01, 12:39 AM
Okay let's try this again.

[roll0]

Badger pops into view just before the halfling, who practically rams into her chest. He takes a step back and says, "You can't hurt me. Your friend said he'd turn me in in front of a whole city block."

Athedia
2015-01-01, 12:45 AM
Okay let's try this again.

[roll0]

Badger pops into view just before the halfling, who practically rams into her chest. He takes a step back and says, "You can't hurt me. Your friend said he'd turn me in in front of a whole city block."

"And yet I have noticed two things. First you tried to run away. And second, he brought you to me." She pushed him towards Artorias and waited til her guildmate had a firm grasp on the halfling. "Do whatever you need to do with him now. I have deliveries to make." With that she turned and started off in the direction of Jadeite's lab.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-01, 01:07 AM
Badger makes her way to Jadeite's lab without incident, and with only her thoughts to harass and torment her. If anyone tries to approach her then the foul look on her face scares them off. The facility is still being repaired from the golem attack a few weeks ago but Jadeite's room is further in and intact, at least from what Badger can remember.

When she arrives and looks in the window she can see several seemingly identical cages filled with seemingly identical rats, but nobody's there. The door is shut and the only person nearby is a hobgoblin sweeping the floor.

Athedia
2015-01-01, 01:10 AM
Badger makes her way to Jadeite's lab without incident, and with only her thoughts to harass and torment her. If anyone tries to approach her then the foul look on her face scares them off. The facility is still being repaired from the golem attack a few weeks ago but Jadeite's room is further in and intact, at least from what Badger can remember.

When she arrives and looks in the window she can see several seemingly identical cages filled with seemingly identical rats, but nobody's there. The door is shut and the only person nearby is a hobgoblin sweeping the floor.

"Jadiete, where is he? I have a delivery."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-01, 01:18 AM
The hobgoblin pauses to peer at Badger through squinted eyes. "You mean the green-haired elf? Ah yes!" He straightens up a bit in recognition. "I remember him! He said he might have some friends of his make a delivery...you wouldn't be Badger, would you?"

If Badger confirms her identity then the hobgoblin janitor pulls a set of keys from a deep pocket somewhere on his person and unlocks the door. He watches her the whole time and locks the door behind her once she leaves.

Athedia
2015-01-01, 01:25 AM
The hobgoblin pauses to peer at Badger through squinted eyes. "You mean the green-haired elf? Ah yes!" He straightens up a bit in recognition. "I remember him! He said he might have some friends of his make a delivery...you wouldn't be Badger, would you?"

If Badger confirms her identity then the hobgoblin janitor pulls a set of keys from a deep pocket somewhere on his person and unlocks the door. He watches her the whole time and locks the door behind her once she leaves.

Badger pulled out the map and the vials, each one labeled as to the well it came from. Carefully she wrote a note and laid it on top of the collection.

Jadiete, these are the remaining samples. Locations on map as well as remaining spread. -Badger

Checking that the samples were in a safe place she let herself out. Her job was done now and she felt the energy she had pushing her start to drain. Going behind the building for a second she leaned her head against the wall trying to contain herself. Just get to the guild, just get back to safety. She ran, avoiding the main streets until she reached the guild, barging upstairs she slammed open the door to her room, kicking out those she had let stay in there. Once they were all gone, grumblings and angry looks ignored she locked the door and pushed her dresser in front of it. She curled up on her bed and rested her forehead on her knees. All the energy was gone now, but she was safe here.

Silverraptor
2015-01-01, 01:28 AM
Sora pays particular attention to every hate and spiteful glance and action committed in front of her. Upon seeing the stack of bodies, she sighs in dismay.
"Its really gotten way out of hand."

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-01, 09:11 PM
Elsee frowned as she watched the mass burial, her body trying to look smaller by getting a little closer to Darric.

"Think et's too late for endcatch?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-01, 10:10 PM
Badger:

Some of the people give her strange looks but she doesn't get any trouble. Badger isn't sure how long she's in her room--long enough for the sun to sink noticeably lower in the sky, though without a drop in temperature--but eventually she hears a knock on the door.

Jadeite and Surdrak:

Jadeite and Surdrak eventually return from their discoveries to the lab, where they find Badger's samples and the notes. "Magnificent. Surdrak, would you like to assist me in administering these samples or return to the guild and report to everyone what we found?" He looks back at the cages upon cages of mice running around. "I believe I will be here all night."

Did you have a chance to read what you learned?

Sora pays particular attention to every hate and spiteful glance and action committed in front of her. Upon seeing the stack of bodies, she sighs in dismay.
"Its really gotten way out of hand."

Elsee frowned as she watched the mass burial, her body trying to look smaller by getting a little closer to Darric.

"Think et's too late for endcatch?"

"I hope not," Darric mutters, also trying to make himself small to little effect. They're the only Plavaan there. Just before the clerics finish their services one of them moves, exposing the face of one of the bodies into full view.

It's Feliks.

Yep. One of the reasons this took all day to post was that it was tough to write.

What do you want to do from here?

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-02, 07:29 AM
Elsee frowned beneath her mask, her eyes drooping a little bit as she silently turned away from the sight.

"i'm not hungry..." was all she said, walking away back to the guild, not even waiting for the others to respond, thoughts about just taking Kheel and leaving racing through her head.

super dark33
2015-01-02, 07:58 AM
Id really love to stay with you, but yeah I need to report on our findings as well as see what the guild was up to. Maybe Leif will be free to talk with me...about....

His tone trailed off and he broke eye contact.

Anyway! Ill be back to the guild, see you tommorow Jadee!

Surdrak gave Jadeite a hug and started flying back to the guild, scanning for magic as he flies.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-02, 08:19 AM
Surdrak:

Surdrak takes flight, clawing the sky as he makes his way northeast towards the guildhouse. Even in Runite a man with eldritch appendages sprouting from his back is unusual and a few people stop to stare. Especially if he's close enough to the ground to use detect magic. The divination isn't particularly helpful though--the whole city is magical.

Regardless, Surdrak eventually makes it back to the guild. It's around dinnertime, the sun is a few hours from setting, and it's still oppressively hot and sticky.

If you want to talk to Leif feel free.

super dark33
2015-01-02, 12:51 PM
Flying is awesome.

Being as magnificent as he is, and seeing all the people down there agreeing with that fact made Surdrak so happy and fulfilled. Its about that he wished to speak to Leif about, being a leader of people, commanding a group.

Now it reminds him of the other matter he needed to talk to Leif about, and also to Sora, hopefuly she's at the guildhouse or will return early, he hopes she isnt in too much trouble.

Theres the guild in sight, he will enter through his room's window.

Just picturing it, leading loyal acolytes into battle and adventure, their love and appritiation, looting all the crypts and all the nests and camps and dungeon and he forgot to open the window before he left.

Splat.

Athedia
2015-01-02, 03:51 PM
Badger:

Some of the people give her strange looks but she doesn't get any trouble. Badger isn't sure how long she's in her room--long enough for the sun to sink noticeably lower in the sky, though without a drop in temperature--but eventually she hears a knock on the door.

Lifting her head up she called out. "Who is there?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-02, 05:16 PM
Surdrak:

Surdrak comically slams into the closed window, rattling the panes and causing his toad to hop onto the rabbit, who, startled, dashes somewhere into his unmade bed. That's the only look he gets of his room before sliding down the side of the building, tumbling past an alarmed Leif's window, and snagging his jacket on a tree branch before faceplanting onto the ground.

The tree broke your fall so take [roll0] falling damage.

Badger:

The doorknob turns, then stops, as if whomever is on the other side was about to open it before reconsidering. "It's me, Natasha. Are you okay?"

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-02, 05:18 PM
Artorias shake his head "Sometimes I can't beleive her" he says to himself. "And you.... you better not try that stunt again do you hear me?" he glares at him.

untrained Intimidate Roll [roll0]

He takes the thief directly towards the nearest guard station, keeping a firm leash on him.

Athedia
2015-01-02, 06:11 PM
Surdrak:

Surdrak comically slams into the closed window, rattling the panes and causing his toad to hop onto the rabbit, who, startled, dashes somewhere into his unmade bed. That's the only look he gets of his room before sliding down the side of the building, tumbling past an alarmed Leif's window, and snagging his jacket on a tree branch before faceplanting onto the ground.

The tree broke your fall so take [roll0] falling damage.

Badger:

The doorknob turns, then stops, as if whomever is on the other side was about to open it before reconsidering. "It's me, Natasha. Are you okay?"

Badger watched doorknob turn, glad she had pushed the dresser in front of it. [Color="red"]"I ... I don't want to talk about it."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-02, 06:25 PM
Badger:

"Can...I come in?" she asks, more quietly.

Artorias:

The thief mutters several more obscenities and oaths loud enough for Artorias to hear, but otherwise comes along quietly.

Where are you taking him?

Athedia
2015-01-02, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=CoffeeIncluded;18605608]Badger:

"Can...I come in?" she asks, more quietly.[/qoute]

Badger pushed the dresser away a little and went back to her bed. "Come in." She knew that if she didn't the girl would more likely than not tell Lief her concerns and get her in more trouble with him.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-02, 07:34 PM
Natasha quietly pads into the room. Her hair's shorter than before, her sleeves are rolled up, and a bit of the chubbiness on her face and legs has been replaced by tougher muscle. The noblewoman-turned-guildmember heads over to Badger and sits next to her on the bed. She's quiet for a while, waiting for Badger to settle before taking out a few fragments of dark chocolate--rare and expensive, even in Runite--and offers them to the ranger while asking, "How long have you been back?"

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-02, 07:35 PM
Badger:

"Can...I come in?" she asks, more quietly.

Artorias:

The thief mutters several more obscenities and oaths loud enough for Artorias to hear, but otherwise comes along quietly.

Where are you taking him?

Nearest Ward station to their current location (read as: Whenever it is convenient for the plot/DM :smalltongue:)

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-02, 07:42 PM
Artorias:

It's not that far a walk to the guild--and as before Artorias manages to chase off onlookers and bystanders with the explanation of "Guild Business," all the way to the watch station near the guild. The shade inside is a relief from the oppressive heat that beats down hot and humid, but it's still rather warm.

Unfortunately for Artorias, the guard on duty in the front is Severa,, who is busy pinning up her orange hair so that it doesn't stick to the back of her nexk and wiping her forehead with a damp cloth. She looks up at Artorias and says, "Oh, you again."

Sorry.

Okay I really want to get back to reading The Emperor of All Maladies. Damn it's a good book, just really dense so I can't really pick it up and put it down a lot.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-02, 08:14 PM
Artorias manages to barely avoid facepalming, of all the guards in the city it HAD to be Severa on duty "Yeah me again" "Perhaps if you actually did your job I wouldn't have to be here all the time" he mentally adds "caught this pickpocket near the Market district, figured you guys would know what to do with him" he adds in dry voice.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-02, 08:37 PM
Artorias:

Severa lets out a long, seemingly overly-dramatic sigh, and jabs one manicured figure to the locked metal door embedded in thick stone behind her. "Yeah, just throw him in...no, wait." She stands up. "Guess I should go with you and make sure you do it right. Of course that means I'll be leaving the front all alone because everyone else just has to be out keeping the city from completely turning inside out, and of course they just had to leave me here to melt," Severa continues to complain at length as she heads to the cells with Artorias and the thief.

Athedia
2015-01-02, 08:40 PM
Natasha quietly pads into the room. Her hair's shorter than before, her sleeves are rolled up, and a bit of the chubbiness on her face and legs has been replaced by tougher muscle. The noblewoman-turned-guildmember heads over to Badger and sits next to her on the bed. She's quiet for a while, waiting for Badger to settle before taking out a few fragments of dark chocolate--rare and expensive, even in Runite--and offers them to the ranger while asking, "How long have you been back?"

"In Runite? About two days. Spent most of the time in temples tending sick and injured." She declined the chocolate. "Why are you asking?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-02, 08:47 PM
Artorias:

Severa lets out a long, seemingly overly-dramatic sigh, and jabs one manicured figure to the locked metal door embedded in thick stone behind her. "Yeah, just throw him in...no, wait." She stands up. "Guess I should go with you and make sure you do it right. Of course that means I'll be leaving the front all alone because everyone else just has to be out keeping the city from completely turning inside out, and of course they just had to leave me here to melt," Severa continues to complain at length as she heads to the cells with Artorias and the thief.

Artorias simply shrugs and makes his way towards the cell.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-02, 08:53 PM
Badger:

Natasha looks down at the chocolate, and instead of placing it back in her belt pouch leaves it on the nightstand. "I was just wondering," she says, though it's clear it's more than that. "I thought you'd be doing something like that." She looks down at her hands. "Things are...weird in the Heights. Most people are really upset but my mother doesn't really care, not as long as it's only people she doesn't think are important. Eva and I are doing a fundraiser to help get treatment but a lot of the people who would donate have left. I tried healing people but..." She trails off. It's a little while before she's able to take a deep breath. "So I've been listening, trying to lean more, doing the whole Diamond Mind thing that your friend...Artorias? mentioned." She trails off again, but the pause after this one is more expectant.

As a noble, Natasha may have some more knowledge. And don't forget that she likes Badger. In case it's not clear she's trying to be diplomatic and treading carefully here.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-02, 10:13 PM
Artorias simply shrugs and makes his way towards the cell.

Severa folds her arms and sighs. "You know, it's no fun whining if you don't respond."

The cells are much the same as before--dim and almost blessedly cool, with floors left damp from the city's high water table. but smelling of mildew and the smells that usually build up when people are locked in cells for long periods of time. But it's not too bad because right now there's only a couple people in the cells.

The halfling is still spitting curses, but is soon silenced by a swift kick to the rear courtesy of Severa. "Try a newer swear," she says.

EDIT: Severa's a bit rougher than strictly necessary when she strips him of his items and tosses him into a cell, whining all the while. "And of course since th other guards expect me to do everything, I'm going to have to keep watch up top and make sure he doesn't escape and record all these items, which of course are probably stolen, and try to return them!" She holds up the chain shirt, which even in Severa's hands looks way too wide and baggy for the halfling thief, and scoffs, "Yeah, no way he didn't steal this."

super dark33
2015-01-03, 08:02 AM
Surdrak slowly got up on his feet, and entered the guild, throwing Hello!s and How are you doing today?s and No im okay, its not that bads to anyone who would ask and talk, which is no one, but he can hope yknow.

He walked up to Leif's office and knocked on the door.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-03, 12:31 PM
Elsee frowned beneath her mask, her eyes drooping a little bit as she silently turned away from the sight.

"i'm not hungry..." was all she said, walking away back to the guild, not even waiting for the others to respond, thoughts about just taking Kheel and leaving racing through her head.

Elsee hasn't walked more than a couple of blocks when she hears footsteps running behind her. "Let me come with you," Darric pants as he races to catch up with her. "I think I know how to get back to avoid most of the crowds."

Do you want to follow him?
What do you want to do?

Surdrak slowly got up on his feet, and entered the guild, throwing Hello!s and How are you doing today?s and No im okay, its not that bads to anyone who would ask and talk, which is no one, but he can hope yknow.

He walked up to Leif's office and knocked on the door.

Perhaps Surdrak should have wiped his bloodied nose clean before reassuring people that he's okay. Or covered up his black eye. Or smoothed his hair. A few people duck out of his way, but others offer him tissues to stop up the blood.

Either way, Leif's door is unlocked and he tells Surdrak to come in. The moment he does, however, a high pitched shout of, "Glitterdust!" comes from behind the door.

super dark33
2015-01-03, 12:43 PM
Fearing the worst, Surdrak stepped through the door, coiled to cover his eyes.

Hey Leif, i forgot to leave my window open.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-03, 12:55 PM
Surdrak:

Little flakes of glitter tickle Surdrak's eyebrows and nose and fingers and he opens his eyes to see Iris, Leif's daughter, standing on a chair with a little bag of glitter in her hand and glitter coating her palm. "Gotcha!" she says.

Leif, for his part, chuckles and shakes his head. "Iris, do you want to play cleric now?"

"Yeah! I got it, I got it!" She runs to her father's desk and yanks it open, rummaging through it.

Meanwhile, Leif turns to Surdrak and asks, "How goes the search?"

super dark33
2015-01-03, 03:29 PM
Quite well, we now understand how the wells work, with runes of purifying magic on them, Badger and Artorias took water samples, Jadeite and i had fun getting shellfish from the various vendors of different parts in the city and all that is left now is testing.

He smiled a little and waited for Leif's response, appritiation hopefuly. After leif would answer, Surdrak says with obvious anxiety:

And Leif, before i go, if you have the time, there are a few things i want to talk about...

Aaaand cut! This is my last IC post this weekend. Surdrak is now at your control. Dont forget to keep him as adorable as he needs to be!

Silverraptor
2015-01-03, 08:48 PM
Sora stares at Felix's face for a moment before turning around to follow Elsee. Sadness plainly obvious on her face.

Athedia
2015-01-03, 09:20 PM
Badger:

Natasha looks down at the chocolate, and instead of placing it back in her belt pouch leaves it on the nightstand. "I was just wondering," she says, though it's clear it's more than that. "I thought you'd be doing something like that." She looks down at her hands. "Things are...weird in the Heights. Most people are really upset but my mother doesn't really care, not as long as it's only people she doesn't think are important. Eva and I are doing a fundraiser to help get treatment but a lot of the people who would donate have left. I tried healing people but..." She trails off. It's a little while before she's able to take a deep breath. "So I've been listening, trying to lean more, doing the whole Diamond Mind thing that your friend...Artorias? mentioned." She trails off again, but the pause after this one is more expectant.

As a noble, Natasha may have some more knowledge. And don't forget that she likes Badger. In case it's not clear she's trying to be diplomatic and treading carefully here.

"What have you heard?" Badger paused for a second and laid an awkward hand on Natasha's shoulder.
"You.... It's okay you couldn't heal people. I.... Not many train healing as I have."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-03, 10:21 PM
"What have you heard?" Badger paused for a second and laid an awkward hand on Natasha's shoulder.
"You.... It's okay you couldn't heal people. I.... Not many train healing as I have."

Natasha sniffs loudly and leans into Badger's hand for a time before responding. "Thank you," she says.

It takes her a little bit to answer Badger's first question, and from the way she twiddles her fingers together and works her jaw it seems like she's also trying to formulate her own response.

"Well..." she eventually says, "Have you been reading the news? The cholera's all anyone's talking about. The Sokol guy, who writes satire, has been one of the most moderate voices around, but some of the others are...scary." Natasha looks down at the floor. "You know that woman who writes in the crime blotter and opinion pages? The one who says that everyone is guilty and needs to be punished to the fullest extent of the law, who uses overly melodramatic language and froths at the mouth whenever anyone is declared innocent--especially if they're not rich? I think you can guess what she's saying about the Plavaan here." She gulps, as if she isn't quite sure of what to say next, or isn't fully prepared to say it. "The thing is, she's really popular among a lot of people in the Heights right now. I heard a lot of people talking about it at socials, and heard my mother talking about it too. Leif wants nothing to do with all of this, but a lot of nobles are blaming the Plavaan too, especially people like Cesare. He could help more but all he's saying is that this is proof of the evil and ineptitude of Dierdre and the other Plavaan or something like that and that he and his son could have built much better sewers. It's like there's this...poison to the whole city, and everyone's drinking it and I don't know what to do!"

Quite well, we now understand how the wells work, with runes of purifying magic on them, Badger and Artorias took water samples, Jadeite and i had fun getting shellfish from the various vendors of different parts in the city and all that is left now is testing.

He smiled a little and waited for Leif's response, appritiation hopefuly.

Leif raises his eyebrows. "Really? When will you get results?" There's a calm, confident pride in his voice.

Meanwhile, Iris runs out from behind the desk holding a wand. She reaches up and taps it on Surdrak's bloody nose again and again until it activates and heals it slightly.

It's a Cure Light Wounds, no big deal.

After leif would answer, Surdrak says with obvious anxiety:

And Leif, before i go, if you have the time, there are a few things i want to talk about...

Aaaand cut! This is my last IC post this weekend. Surdrak is now at your control. Dont forget to keep him as adorable as he needs to be!

"Of course Surdrak, what is it?" He gets up and closes the door, then sits down in his chair...

How do you want to do the conversation with Leif? I'll be honest, this isn't something I feel comfortable doing without your input and a back-and-forth between us.

Athedia
2015-01-03, 10:50 PM
Natasha sniffs loudly and leans into Badger's hand for a time before responding. "Thank you," she says.

It takes her a little bit to answer Badger's first question, and from the way she twiddles her fingers together and works her jaw it seems like she's also trying to formulate her own response.

"Well..." she eventually says, "Have you been reading the news? The cholera's all anyone's talking about. The Sokol guy, who writes satire, has been one of the most moderate voices around, but some of the others are...scary." Natasha looks down at the floor. "You know that woman who writes in the crime blotter and opinion pages? The one who says that everyone is guilty and needs to be punished to the fullest extent of the law, who uses overly melodramatic language and froths at the mouth whenever anyone is declared innocent--especially if they're not rich? I think you can guess what she's saying about the Plavaan here." She gulps, as if she isn't quite sure of what to say next, or isn't fully prepared to say it. "The thing is, she's really popular among a lot of people in the Heights right now. I heard a lot of people talking about it at socials, and heard my mother talking about it too. Leif wants nothing to do with all of this, but a lot of nobles are blaming the Plavaan too, especially people like Cesare. He could help more but all he's saying is that this is proof of the evil and ineptitude of Dierdre and the other Plavaan or something like that and that he and his son could have built much better sewers. It's like there's this...poison to the whole city, and everyone's drinking it and I don't know what to do!"

"It's the wells not the sewers. And someone rich is paying people to stop our investigation. Thing is, if it were just the sewers the whole city will be affected, it is focused on the poor sections of the city instead." Badger paused, realizing how useful Natasha's knowledge of the nobles. "You know any humans in that group, black hair and a.. uh 'purple thing'?"

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-03, 11:36 PM
Elsee silently shrugged but nodded, slowing enough to allow Darric to take the lead and following him. only turning around to ensure Sora was still with them breifly.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-04, 12:00 AM
"It's the wells not the sewers. And someone rich is paying people to stop our investigation. Thing is, if it were just the sewers the whole city will be affected, it is focused on the poor sections of the city instead." Badger paused, realizing how useful Natasha's knowledge of the nobles. "You know any humans in that group, black hair and a.. uh 'purple thing'?"

Natasha's eyes widen. "Someone's doing that?! But it doesn't make any sense! What if it gets to the sewers?" She pauses at Badger's second question. "Actually...I have seen someone like that, once. He was tall, and thin, with black hair and an odd purple suit."

I'm about to go to bed; I'll update more tomorrow

Athedia
2015-01-04, 01:04 AM
Natasha's eyes widen. "Someone's doing that?! But it doesn't make any sense! What if it gets to the sewers?" She pauses at Badger's second question. "Actually...I have seen someone like that, once. He was tall, and thin, with black hair and an odd purple suit."

I'm about to go to bed; I'll update more tomorrow

Badger took a deep breath. What was it with people and dragging out answers today? "Name? Occupation? Where did you see him? We need to track him... wait Deidre had competitors to build the sewers? How did a drow get the rights and Cesare didn't? I thought all the senators had first dibs for stuff like that?"

super dark33
2015-01-04, 02:09 PM
I....... for a long time ive thought of.... I want...... I want to lead. Its what i always dreamt of, nearly all figures of legend, my myths, your myths, all were leaders, im not sure if i have what it takes but at least i want to try, even here at first, even with fellow young reballious warlocks, even both- and i have an idea how to get that to happen, but im not sure if we should start it before i have a remote knowledge of what is leading. So will you help me?

A shellless crab, an upside down turtoise, a forsaken puppy at a new owner's place. Thats Surdrak right now.

Coffee should know what Surdrak's plan is. Need a reminder?

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-04, 02:43 PM
Elsee silently shrugged but nodded, slowing enough to allow Darric to take the lead and following him. only turning around to ensure Sora was still with them breifly.

"Up here," Darric says, guiding Elsee onto the rooftops. They're low once they make it back to downtown and the Docks, and the buildings are close enough together that it's relatively easy to hop from roof to roof. It also makes it easier to avoid anyone's notice, which is why Darric invited Elsee up in the first place. And it's exhilarating, leaping from rooftop to rooftop, even as the two Plavaan have to watch out for the storm damage. Meanwhile, Sora follows on the ground.

As they head north towards the guildhouse and the buildings begin to thin out, a dark speck in the sky shoots right towards them.

Badger took a deep breath. What was it with people and dragging out answers today? "Name? Occupation? Where did you see him? We need to track him... wait Deidre had competitors to build the sewers? How did a drow get the rights and Cesare didn't? I thought all the senators had first dibs for stuff like that?"

"I-I don't know," Natasha says. "I only saw him once, and only for a moment. Honestly, the only reason I remember him is because Eva pointed out how odd his suit was. He was just walking down the street, though he looked like he was looking for something or someone, so I don't think he was a new servant or doorman.

"As for Dierdre getting the sewer contract, I don't know the full details but...Badger, things may be bad right now but Runite really is more egalitarian than you give it credit for being. Dierdre may not be on the Senate, but her sewer design and the wells she built were just that good, there was no way Cesare and his son could compete. It's how she got so rich in the first place."

I....... for a long time ive thought of.... I want...... I want to lead. Its what i always dreamt of, nearly all figures of legend, my myths, your myths, all were leaders, im not sure if i have what it takes but at least i want to try, even here at first, even with fellow young reballious warlocks, even both- and i have an idea how to get that to happen, but im not sure if we should start it before i have a remote knowledge of what is leading. So will you help me?

A shellless crab, an upside down turtoise, a forsaken puppy at a new owner's place. Thats Surdrak right now.

Coffee should know what Surdrak's plan is. Need a reminder?

Leif leans back in his chair and rubs his chin. "What made you decide you want to lead, Surdrak? Was it something in San De Sol? Your partners told me something happened but never discussed it in detail." He shifts straighter in his sheet. "Leadership--true leadership--is something that is earned more than than anything else. A true leader appreciates the burden of power." Leif pauses and looks over Surdrak intently. "You definitely seem more mature than before. How can I help you?"

I think I know. It's the sending thing, right?

super dark33
2015-01-04, 03:45 PM
Leadership, true leadership, leadership feat. Dont worry guys he will only take it at 9th level :smallwink:

Yeah its the sending thing.

Anyway as of now im going to sleep. Surdrak would retell the whole story of Sol if Leif asks.

Part from Sol, part from my childhood dreams, its mostly the way i was freed from the spirits that made me want to save more warlocks and lead them to better life that wont end abruptly in madness, take them to ancient ruins and crypts and recover pieces of our ancient culture, and in general show them that they can be welcomed in society, like i never thought i would have.

He leaned forward.

Ill need to use a single sending spell, an amount of gold, and your reassuring support.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-04, 06:17 PM
Severa folds her arms and sighs. "You know, it's no fun whining if you don't respond."

Artorias keeps his silence and looks at her as if to say "And that is why I'm not answering"

The cells are much the same as before--dim and almost blessedly cool, with floors left damp from the city's high water table. but smelling of mildew and the smells that usually build up when people are locked in cells for long periods of time. But it's not too bad because right now there's only a couple people in the cells.

The halfling is still spitting curses, but is soon silenced by a swift kick to the rear courtesy of Severa. "Try a newer swear," she says.

He nods in agreement.

EDIT: Severa's a bit rougher than strictly necessary when she strips him of his items and tosses him into a cell, whining all the while. "And of course since th other guards expect me to do everything, I'm going to have to keep watch up top and make sure he doesn't escape and record all these items, which of course are probably stolen, and try to return them!" She holds up the chain shirt, which even in Severa's hands looks way too wide and baggy for the halfling thief, and scoffs, "Yeah, no way he didn't steal this."

"According to him, he got it as payment" he breaks the silence for a moment "Look, Severa I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this on your own, I'm truly am" he says with some sincerity on his voice "But right now I have some more pressing issues, so I'll leave this in your capable hands, though be careful with him, he is quite sneaky" he says. "Though, could I check that chain shirt for a moment please?" he asks.

Athedia
2015-01-04, 06:55 PM
"I-I don't know," Natasha says. "I only saw him once, and only for a moment. Honestly, the only reason I remember him is because Eva pointed out how odd his suit was. He was just walking down the street, though he looked like he was looking for something or someone, so I don't think he was a new servant or doorman.

"As for Dierdre getting the sewer contract, I don't know the full details but...Badger, things may be bad right now but Runite really is more egalitarian than you give it credit for being. Dierdre may not be on the Senate, but her sewer design and the wells she built were just that good, there was no way Cesare and his son could compete. It's how she got so rich in the first place."

"Maybe from your view. From the bottom it doesn't seem that way at all. The rich are powerful, beyond what you would understand. Who lives on your street that he might be looking for?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-04, 09:25 PM
Leadership, true leadership, leadership feat. Dont worry guys he will only take it at 9th level :smallwink:

Yeah its the sending thing.

Anyway as of now im going to sleep. Surdrak would retell the whole story of Sol if Leif asks.

Part from Sol, part from my childhood dreams, its mostly the way i was freed from the spirits that made me want to save more warlocks and lead them to better life that wont end abruptly in madness, take them to ancient ruins and crypts and recover pieces of our ancient culture, and in general show them that they can be welcomed in society, like i never thought i would have.

He leaned forward.

Ill need to use a single sending spell, an amount of gold, and your reassuring support.

Leif is silent, his face mostly inscrutable (except for when Surdrak describes the battles in the underbelly of San De Sol), but as Surdrak finishes his tale he looks impressed. "That's a better reason than most," he says. I'm impressed, Surdrak! To be honest when you first joined the guild I never would have thought you would say something like that, but look at how you've grown." He's out of his seat by now and is walking to Surdrak. "If that's why you want to lead, then you have my support." Leif goes stern for a moment. "But of course, being a leader means you need to be responsible. You'll have to take care of any problems that you or your subordinates cause."

Leif will LEND you the money, as long as it's a reasonable amount, but he won't clean up any messes you or your subordinates make. That's on you. Is that fair?

Artorias keeps his silence and looks at her as if to say "And that is why I'm not answering"

He nods in agreement.

"According to him, he got it as payment" he breaks the silence for a moment "Look, Severa I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this on your own, I'm truly am" he says with some sincerity on his voice "But right now I have some more pressing issues, so I'll leave this in your capable hands, though be careful with him, he is quite sneaky" he says. "Though, could I check that chain shirt for a moment please?" he asks.

"Really?" Severa asks. She casually tosses the chain shirt and other items at Artorias; the links smack him in his face. "Knock yourself out." She pauses. "And...thanks," she says, almost too quickly for Artorias to catch. But he manages, although one sleeve smacks him in the face.

What do you want to check? Depending on what you're looking for a check or roll may be necessary.

"Maybe from your view. From the bottom it doesn't seem that way at all. The rich are powerful, beyond what you would understand. Who lives on your street that he might be looking for?"

Natasha's silent for a while. "I know exactly how rich I and the rest of us are, but...when you say things like that it kind of makes me wish you were a noble." The look on her face lets Badger know exactly what she means by that.

And then it's down to business. Natasha draws a rough map and points out locations as she speaks. "I'm honestly not sure who he might be looking for, you said he paid someone off to rob...water samples? The person he was looking for might not even be in this area, if he's looking for anyone at all, but within these few blocks there's this empty mansion that he might be looking to purchase, the Volkovs--they're mostly ambassadors--live here, there's this guy named Darius Quilla who's looking to get a house here, Leif's here but I doubt he's involved, Cesare lives here, and the Kaufmanns are here but it wouldn't make much sense for them to be involved either. Oh, and Dierdre's a couple blocks north, up here closer to the Bogs."

Athedia
2015-01-04, 09:43 PM
Natasha's silent for a while. "I know exactly how rich I and the rest of us are, but...when you say things like that it kind of makes me wish you were a noble." The look on her face lets Badger know exactly what she means by that.

And then it's down to business. Natasha draws a rough map and points out locations as she speaks. "I'm honestly not sure who he might be looking for, you said he paid someone off to rob...water samples? The person he was looking for might not even be in this area, if he's looking for anyone at all, but within these few blocks there's this empty mansion that he might be looking to purchase, the Volkovs--they're mostly ambassadors--live here, there's this guy named Darius Quilla who's looking to get a house here, Leif's here but I doubt he's involved, Cesare lives here, and the Kaufmanns are here but it wouldn't make much sense for them to be involved either. Oh, and Dierdre's a couple blocks north, up here closer to the Bogs."

"It isn't just wealth, and that ship sailed for me a long time ago." Badgers voice was cold as she answered Natasha.

"I need to see this area for myself. Do you think they would treat someone who looked more like... well them, better?"

Int: [roll0]
Knowledge Local: [roll1]

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-04, 09:56 PM
"It isn't just wealth, and that ship sailed for me a long time ago." Badgers voice was cold as she answered Natasha.

"I know, but...I think the Senate might be better with people like you in it is all. I get tired of all the machinations."

"I need to see this area for myself. Do you think they would treat someone who looked more like... well them, better?"

Natasha pauses and frowns. "They should, but I don't know if you'd be able to get into the houses without permission. A lot of places are protected against those kinds of spells. You might be able to sneak into a Senate meeting or a party or social though, as long as you can act the part."

Int: [roll0]
Knowledge Local: [roll1]

You know the results to those checks

Athedia
2015-01-04, 10:06 PM
"I know, but...I think the Senate might be better with people like you in it is all. I get tired of all the machinations."

"I don't know if I could be stuck in a stuffy room and not kill those people. But a social... that might be good. Gossip is the best thing for me to learn things. I know the basics, be quiet, walk softly but if you could coach me a little on the rest it could help."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-04, 10:48 PM
"I don't know if I could be stuck in a stuffy room and not kill those people. But a social... that might be good. Gossip is the best thing for me to learn things. I know the basics, be quiet, walk softly but if you could coach me a little on the rest it could help."

Natasha breaks into giggles, light and airy even as she covers her mouth. "You don't appear to be looking to kill me though." She pauses again. "I could definitely help you out. When would be a good time?"

It would need about 3 sessions, each about 2 hours each.

Athedia
2015-01-04, 11:19 PM
Natasha breaks into giggles, light and airy even as she covers her mouth. "You don't appear to be looking to kill me though." She pauses again. "I could definitely help you out. When would be a good time?"

It would need about 3 sessions, each about 2 hours each.

Badger touched her hairband, letting the marks fade from her face and blonde curls go down her back. "We could start now."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-04, 11:55 PM
Natasha's eyes widen and her whole body goes slightly rigid and still. "Uh, disguising yourself like...that...might not be a good idea."

Athedia
2015-01-05, 12:09 AM
Natasha's eyes widen and her whole body goes slightly rigid and still. "Uh, disguising yourself like...that...might not be a good idea."

Badger smiled a little more sadly this time. "People still haven't forgotten?" She pulled the head band off entirely before tossing it on the bed. Her roots showed through her hair and it was longer, reaching past just her shoulder, the slightest hint of curl starting. The henna on her face and hands had faded, barely staining her skin anymore.

She gestured for Natasha to hand her a pot on the table beside her bed. "I was hoping I didn't need this anymore."

super dark33
2015-01-05, 12:49 AM
Thanks Leif! My appriciation is eternal!

He couldnt hide his excitment, bouncing and smiling like a fool- no, TWO fools.

After settling down (not really) he spoke.
First thing first: The Sending spell will be used to order a call from home, then the gold will be used to spread the call throughout the warlock society. Then the result might be some rascally teens and maybe one " 'responsible' 'adult' " coming to/visiting Runite.

But the big question is: where can i find a Sending spell?

Posted from a train chooo chooo

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-05, 12:52 AM
"Don't mention it" Artorias says with just a little hint of annoyance "Well.... I'll see you later"
Once he is outside of theguard house, he looks for a nearby alley, some place that it's hidden from view. Once there Artorias takes out the chain shirt and after making sure nobody is paying attention to him, he sniffes the chain shirt, trying to find a smell different from the Halfling, anything that could help to find out his employer.

I'm perfectly aware of how creepy this looks... I assure you it wasn't my intention,
I'll take 20 in all checks just to make sure.
Hide 22 (
Scent 20
Spot 35

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-05, 04:09 AM
"Up here," Darric says, guiding Elsee onto the rooftops. They're low once they make it back to downtown and the Docks, and the buildings are close enough together that it's relatively easy to hop from roof to roof. It also makes it easier to avoid anyone's notice, which is why Darric invited Elsee up in the first place. And it's exhilarating, leaping from rooftop to rooftop, even as the two Plavaan have to watch out for the storm damage. Meanwhile, Sora follows on the ground.

As they head north towards the guildhouse and the buildings begin to thin out, a dark speck in the sky shoots right towards them.

elsee sheilded her eyes from the sun with a hand as she noticed the sky speck, "just Kheel" she assured Darric. she stopped to find a secure locaition on the rooftop they were currently on and waved an arm towards what she beleived to be kheel, beckoning him in for a landing.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-05, 09:09 AM
Thanks Leif! My appriciation is eternal!

He couldnt hide his excitment, bouncing and smiling like a fool- no, TWO fools.

After settling down (not really) he spoke.
First thing first: The Sending spell will be used to order a call from home, then the gold will be used to spread the call throughout the warlock society. Then the result might be some rascally teens and maybe one " 'responsible' 'adult' " coming to/visiting Runite.

But the big question is: where can i find a Sending spell?

Posted from a train chooo chooo

And after all that, Leif looks like he needs to sit down. Instead he simply stares at Surdrak and says, "Are you telling me that you plan to have several dozen potentially unhinged warlocks in the city? How exactly do you plan to manage to keep them in line as you aid them?" He's speaking almost like a lecturer, trying to make Surdrak think things through.

"Don't mention it" Artorias says with just a little hint of annoyance "Well.... I'll see you later"
Once he is outside of theguard house, he looks for a nearby alley, some place that it's hidden from view. Once there Artorias takes out the chain shirt and after making sure nobody is paying attention to him, he sniffes the chain shirt, trying to find a smell different from the Halfling, anything that could help to find out his employer.

I'm perfectly aware of how creepy this looks... I assure you it wasn't my intention,
I'll take 20 in all checks just to make sure.
Hide 22 (
Scent 20
Spot 35

Artorias ducks into an alleyway that seems fairly deserted and out of the way. There's nobody clearly in sight, although he can't quite shake the gaze that someone can see him..still, it might just be his furtiveness speaking and he does need to check. He stands in the alleyway and practically snorts into the armpit of the chain shirt.

This is...odd. There are at least three different scents on there. One is undeniably the halfling thief's, smelling of sweat and shadows. Another one is...strange, swamp-like and almost acrid. It almost burns the inside of his nostrils, sends the hairs standing on end. The third is the oldest and most deeply permeated; it must belong to the shirt's owner. It smells of cologne and caviar, fine cigars and stuffy hallways...and earth. The slight earthen sweat of a dwarf.

elsee sheilded her eyes from the sun with a hand as she noticed the sky speck, "just Kheel" she assured Darric. she stopped to find a secure locaition on the rooftop they were currently on and waved an arm towards what she beleived to be kheel, beckoning him in for a landing.

Kheel descends quickly and lands clumsily, dragging his claws along the roof to catch himself. His eyes are wide and from the way he flaps around he looks terrified. And there's a burn on one of his wings.

Oh, and if they look down they can see Artorias burying his nose in someone else's chain shirt.

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-05, 01:25 PM
Elsee sneered beneath her facemask and lifted Kheels burned wing to inspect the damage, it didn't look too bad, he was able to fly with it at least. "The hell happened to you?"
i was almost hoping it wasn't kheel and was like, a kago knight some extremists hired to take out the local plavaan or one of those bandit's birds or something:smalltongue:

super dark33
2015-01-06, 09:55 AM
Not at all, in fact i plan the opposite: a dozen or less SANE warlocks sick of potentially unhinged warlocks to be brought to Runite.
As to how to keep them in line, threats of church to keep them down, promises of intrigue to keep them excited and down, promises of glory to keep them excited, and the possability to join my new sect of free warlocks to make them curious and feel exclusive, all for an entry fee of small homely goods, to make them feel as if its a bargain.

I know it sounds very far fetched and even dangerous, but please, i promise i can handle it.

Most of this is just flavor for Surdrak's life after the game is done, not all of the warlocks need to come now.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-06, 11:00 PM
Elsee sneered beneath her facemask and lifted Kheels burned wing to inspect the damage, it didn't look too bad, he was able to fly with it at least. "The hell happened to you?"
i was almost hoping it wasn't kheel and was like, a kago knight some extremists hired to take out the local plavaan or one of those bandit's birds or something:smalltongue:

Kheel's wing isn't too bad, but the burn smells a bit, and it doesn't look like a fire burn at all. In fact, it looks like an acid burn.

"It was the dragon," Kheel whimpers, shaking like a leaf. "He was flying from the city right at me, and then he shot acid at me!"

Not at all, in fact i plan the opposite: a dozen or less SANE warlocks sick of potentially unhinged warlocks to be brought to Runite.
As to how to keep them in line, threats of church to keep them down, promises of intrigue to keep them excited and down, promises of glory to keep them excited, and the possability to join my new sect of free warlocks to make them curious and feel exclusive, all for an entry fee of small homely goods, to make them feel as if its a bargain.

I know it sounds very far fetched and even dangerous, but please, i promise i can handle it.

Most of this is just flavor for Surdrak's life after the game is done, not all of the warlocks need to come now.

Leif sits back down and folds his arms. "Well, I can definitely give this a chance. You've certainly grown in your time here."

No problem!

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-07, 08:58 AM
Kheel's wing isn't too bad, but the burn smells a bit, and it doesn't look like a fire burn at all. In fact, it looks like an acid burn.

"It was the dragon," Kheel whimpers, shaking like a leaf. "He was flying from the city right at me, and then he shot acid at me!"

Elsee sneered, beckoning Kheel to the edge of the building before clambering down. "C'mon, Sora's on the streets, she'll patch you up. You too Darric!"

Elsee was never very good at smart things like tracking down diseases, but ideas began to go through her mind involving the dragon, maybe if she could get an enlargement spell on Kheel, then he could carry her and Darric to the dragon, she could jump off and attack the dragon head-on, while Darric used his crossbow and Kheel's claws and poision to keep it distracted... probably a stupid idea, but it was a fun thought exersise to do as she signaled for Sora at least.

Silverraptor
2015-01-07, 10:52 AM
Sora looked up a little while ago as Kheel landed up above and patiently waited for them to come down.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-07, 09:01 PM
Kheel leans forward for Elsee to get on his back, then glides to the ground. His tail flares out to stabilize himself ahainst the wound on his, and when he lands next to sora he nudges her hand incessantly.

Darric easily clambers to the ground, hopping down the balconies and windowsills and jutting stone like they're netting and rigging on a boat.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-07, 09:15 PM
Artorias paces in the alleyway "Dwarf?..." he sniffs the chain shirt once more to make sure "yup... definitely dwarf" he says with some distaste, it isn't that he has something against them, they simply smell stronger "I don't like this... not at all" Having committed the scents to memory, he decides that the best course of action would be to gather some more samples and meet up with the other as planned, he would tell them his suspicions later.

I'll roll a couple Spot checks for Artorias and Ciaran just in case there wasn't just one hired pickpocket

Spot Artorias [roll0]
Spot Ciaran [roll1]

Spot Artorias [roll2]
Spot Ciaran [roll3]

Spot Artorias [roll4]
Spot Ciaran [roll5]

Spot Artorias [roll6]
Spot Ciaran [roll7]

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-07, 10:45 PM
There aren't many wells in the area to test, and it would take too long to go back and replace the smashed samples, but Artorias does his best. Ciaran hovers above, watching intently, and she never once alerts him to a skulking figure in the shadows. He's safe.

They're out late, late enough that the sun's starting to set and Artorias knows that the cafeteria in the guild has closed. If he wants to eat dinner he'll have to get some street food or see if he has snacks in his room. Ciaran, for her part, catches a mouse on the walk back and quickly gulps it down, fur and all. It's nearly dark when they finally make it back to the guild, and most of the refugees are settling in for the night. Artorias takes the path to Badger's room, where he sees her hug Natasha outside the door. For her part, Natasha gives Artorias a friendly wave and a, "How are you?"

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-08, 05:12 PM
"Oh, hey Natasha" he waves back " I've been better, but I think everyone can say that now" he clears his throat "anyway... am I interrupting something?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-08, 05:16 PM
"That's certainly true," Natasha says with a tired smile. "And not much, I think we finished." She turns back over her shoulder. "Badger, do you think we should continue tomorrow?"

Athedia
2015-01-08, 06:22 PM
"That's certainly true," Natasha says with a tired smile. "And not much, I think we finished." She turns back over her shoulder. "Badger, do you think we should continue tomorrow?"

"We made good progress. I think that would be good." Badger gave her another hug and wished her goodnight before catching Arteries staring at her and slamming the door on him.

super dark33
2015-01-09, 03:13 PM
After conversing with Leif about some of the minor pieces of the plan, Surdrak hears the slamming of a door.

Sounds like somthings up. I can never thank you enough for the help and even for just conversing to me!

Surdrak left the room.

What will he encounter? Natasha? Artorias? Radovan Karadziac?

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-10, 09:05 AM
After conversing with Leif about some of the minor pieces of the plan, Surdrak hears the slamming of a door.

Sounds like somthings up. I can never thank you enough for the help and even for just conversing to me!

Surdrak left the room.

What will he encounter? Natasha? Artorias? Radovan Karadziac?

As Surdrak heads to his room he sees Artorias standing in front of Badger's closed door with a bemused expression on his face.

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-11, 09:31 AM
Elsee waited paitiantly for Sora to mend up Kheel's wing before thanking her, they were pretty close to the guild hall at this point so there was no need to keep to the rooftops. As they returned to the hall Elsee was still unwilling to go through the crowded main areas, so with the help of Darric and Kheel, she took the water samples they had taken and climbed up to Jadeite's room from the outside, sliding the window open (picking the lock if she had too) and leaving it on the nearest table.

Afterwords Elsee breifly checked the windows of the others, seeing if anyone had decided to hold a party in their rooms, if not, she'd head back to her own room with Darric and Kheel.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-11, 05:12 PM
Kheel speeds to the guilds, skimming low enough in the sky to alarm anyone looking up. Thankfully it's getting dark so there aren't quite as many people out. He scrabbles at Jadeite's window, trying and failing to unlock it until Elsee picks the lock--and then he and Elsee both tumble into the neat room. Of course this is Jadeite's room which probably means that the window she forcefully opened was probably trapped. But instead of a quiet click or a loud boom, a note flutters down. It reads:

Good evening, Elsee. I assumed you would do something like this, which is why I did not alarm the window. Please relock it once you are done here; I will know if you have not done so l.

Nobody else seems to be in any of the Wyvern Fangs' rooms, but Badger's door is shut and she's curled up on the bed.

Just waiting on Dusk.

Silverraptor
2015-01-11, 06:10 PM
Sora examines Kheel's wing.
"Ouch. I'm so sorry Kheel."
Her hands glows as she light touches Kheels wounds and they mend shut.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-12, 01:11 PM
"We made good progress. I think that would be good." Badger gave her another hug and wished her goodnight before catching Arteries staring at her and slamming the door on him.

"Oh common Badger... I didn't know it would go that way" Artorias apologizes through the door. "Look, I thiink I got something that might interest you".

Athedia
2015-01-12, 01:17 PM
"Oh common Badger... I didn't know it would go that way" Artorias apologizes through the door. "Look, I thiink I got something that might interest you".

Badger kept the door closed, leaning on the other side. "You called me in, then undermined me in front of the criminal. You presented a weak front." Grudgingly she opened the door again. "What is it? I have a lead on the man in purple that Natasha is helping me with. I need to focus on that."

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-12, 01:35 PM
Artorias facepalms in exasperation "Look... I'm sorry about that, but I couldn't let you do that... either way it doesn't matter, not right now" he rattles the chain shirt to get her attention "Remember the chain shirt? Well I have reasons to suspect about our dear ol'friend Calix"

Athedia
2015-01-12, 01:48 PM
Artorias facepalms in exasperation "Look... I'm sorry about that, but I couldn't let you do that... either way it doesn't matter, not right now" he rattles the chain shirt to get her attention "Remember the chain shirt? Well I have reasons to suspect about our dear ol'friend Calix"

"How did you get that? And how do you know that?" Badger looked down the hall and then pulled him inside where it would be harder to eavesdrop. "Natasha saw the man in purple on her street. Cesare lives there! Like father, like son."

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-12, 01:54 PM
"I just asked Severa if she could lend it to me" he smirks a little "The shirt smells of Dwarf, but not any dwarf, fine cigars, wine, do you know of any other high-class dwarfs who might want to tamper with the wells to discredit the Plaavans?

Athedia
2015-01-12, 01:59 PM
"I just asked Severa if she could lend it to me" he smirks a little "The shirt smells of Dwarf, but not any dwarf, fine cigars, wine, do you know of any other high-class dwarfs who might want to tamper with the wells to discredit the Plaavans?

"Severa? At the prison? How are the siblings, the necromancers?" Badger was monetarily distracted with worry as she realized where he had been. "Other than Cesare no, it was their contract for the sewers that was rejected in favor of Deidre, but I can try to gather more information. Natasha is teaching me how to blend with the rich, if I can get into a social gathering, I can get the rumors and gossip out of them. People love to talk if you let them."

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-12, 02:08 PM
"I.... I didn't check on them, I simply went there to drop the pickpocket. " he raises an eyebrow "So that's why Natasha was here then."

Athedia
2015-01-12, 02:12 PM
"I.... I didn't check on them, I simply went there to drop the pickpocket. " he raises an eyebrow "So that's why Natasha was here then."

"Oh. I just hope they aren't sick." Badger looked at his raised eyebrow. "What do you mean by that's why she was here?"

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-12, 02:38 PM
"I wouldn't know I'm sorry" he answers "and I was just curious, I wasn't expecting to see. you with... well anyone" he finishes in an embarrassed tone.

Athedia
2015-01-12, 02:44 PM
"I wouldn't know I'm sorry" he answers "and I was just curious, I wasn't expecting to see. you with... well anyone" he finishes in an embarrassed tone.

"We...please go." Badger held the door open for him not talking til he left and then shut and locked it for the night.

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-12, 03:03 PM
Elsee grinned beneath her facemask as she read the note, that elf really knew her too well didn't he? She wondered how long he had that thing set up like that. Reguardless she was in, so she leaned out the window once more and signalled for Darric to pass her the water samples, carefully leaving them on Jadeite's desk, each labeled with what well they had come from, plus a side note complimenting his trap-making.

Elsee aheired to Jadeite's request as she and Kheel left the room once more, carefulyl locking the window behind her, not something she did often granted but somehow she managed to pull it off.

"Jadeite's got the vials" she assured Darric. "nobody else looks home save for a depressed Badger. should we just take an early bedtime or what?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-12, 03:36 PM
Elsee:

"Sounds good to me," Darric says, with just a hint of a smirk.

Everyone:

Night passes slowly, hot and sticky and absolutely miserable. It's nearly impossible for anyone to sleep, for even if the night were cooler, or even just less humid, the undercurrent of tension is equally impossible to ignore. Something unpleasant is building in Runite, beyond the plague, to the point where the Wyvern's Fangs can practically feed it. Something's coming, and it's not going to be good.

When the sun finally rises, it rises upon a still city, hidden behind a shimmering haze of humidity and heat. Sleep may have finally dragged some people under but they wake in sticky sweat. As each party member makes their way to the cafeteria, where troughs of cold water (now lukewarm water) are laid out for people to dip their hands or heads into, they see Jadeite waiting for them, sporting a split lip, black eye, and several scratches.

Athedia
2015-01-12, 03:56 PM
Elsee:

"Sounds good to me," Darric says, with just a hint of a smirk.

Everyone:

Night passes slowly, hot and sticky and absolutely miserable. It's nearly impossible for anyone to sleep, for even if the night were cooler, or even just less humid, the undercurrent of tension is equally impossible to ignore. Something unpleasant is building in Runite, beyond the plague, to the point where the Wyvern's Fangs can practically feed it. Something's coming, and it's not going to be good.

When the sun finally rises, it rises upon a still city, hidden behind a shimmering haze of humidity and heat. Sleep may have finally dragged some people under but they wake in sticky sweat. As each party member makes their way to the cafeteria, where troughs of cold water (now lukewarm water) are laid out for people to dip their hands or heads into, they see Jadeite waiting for them, sporting a split lip, black eye, and several scratches.

Badger rushed over to Jadiete, looking over his injuries.

Heal check [roll0]

"What happened? Are you okay? Did you run into one of the mobs?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-12, 04:07 PM
Badger rushed over to Jadiete, looking over his injuries.

Heal check [roll0]

"What happened? Are you okay? Did you run into one of the mobs?"

Jadeite's injuries are largely superficial, and look worse than they actually are. But he does look tired, like he's barely tranced last night. He wipes his lip and says, "I remained at the laboratory last night monitoring the samples. Upon documenting the relevant data I returned here to tell you to watch, but I came across a small group of thugs assaulting two orcs. I...intervened, but was lightly injured in the process."

Silverraptor
2015-01-12, 04:41 PM
Sora quickly runs healing spells over Jadeite.
"Just be careful. These look pretty nasty."

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-12, 07:06 PM
Elsee was only in the guild's cafeteria at Darric's insistence, and even then she refused to drink or touch any water Kheel hadn't brought from outside the city, luckally he had brought another couple of jars the previous night so she was at least partially hydrated. Kheel sat close to her at her own insistence, ensuring the new inhabitants of the building would keep their distance. Elsee was still wearing her facemask of course, and had to constantly make sure Darric was wearing his.

"So what did you find then?"

I can re-write the kheel thing if you want coffee. just feels like something she'd do, as she's been avoiding everything outside her private room in the hall due to the crowd

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-13, 12:47 AM
Sora quickly runs healing spells over Jadeite.
"Just be careful. These look pretty nasty."

Jadeite smiles as the wounds close. "Thank you Sora, but I do believe they are less severe than they appear to be?"

Elsee was only in the guild's cafeteria at Darric's insistence, and even then she refused to drink or touch any water Kheel hadn't brought from outside the city, luckally he had brought another couple of jars the previous night so she was at least partially hydrated. Kheel sat close to her at her own insistence, ensuring the new inhabitants of the building would keep their distance. Elsee was still wearing her facemask of course, and had to constantly make sure Darric was wearing his.

"So what did you find then?"

I can re-write the kheel thing if you want coffee. just feels like something she'd do, as she's been avoiding everything outside her private room in the hall due to the crowd

"See for yourselves. I believe I interpreted the results clearly enough." He passes a notebook to the party. It's filled with figures, tables, drawings, methods, results, interpretations, and conclusions. Every page is marked with a shimmering arcane mark and the handwriting is clear and legible. As are the results. Jadeite did not get every sample of water (though it seems like he somehow retrieved the samples that Elsee left in his room), but the ones that he did could not be clearer. Many of the rats who drank the supposedly tainted water died from cholera, or the rodent equivalent of it. The rats who drank the supposedly clean water are all fine.

That's fine, Draconi.

Anyway, night everyone! I'm really looking forward to this part of the game.

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-14, 05:01 PM
Elsee frowned beneath her mask, only just barely understanding what she was reading. "Nnnnkaaay... so we know et's in the water now... So now what, bring it to drow lady for that proof she wanted?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-15, 01:10 PM
Jadeite nods. "We could go directly to Dierdre, or get the cages of rats from my laboratory first."

What do you want to do?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-15, 07:51 PM
Jadeite's injuries are largely superficial, and look worse than they actually are. But he does look tired, like he's barely tranced last night. He wipes his lip and says, "I remained at the laboratory last night monitoring the samples. Upon documenting the relevant data I returned here to tell you to watch, but I came across a small group of thugs assaulting two orcs. I...intervened, but was lightly injured in the process."

"Small meaning?" Artorias massages his temples in slight irritation "You know what... it doesn't matter, you got your head knocked a little, but nothing seems broken so it is good"

Jadeite nods. "We could go directly to Dierdre, or get the cages of rats from my laboratory first."

What do you want to do?

"I think we should send Deidre a message to tell her we are coming, but we probably should get the rats first"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-15, 07:56 PM
"Small meaning?" Artorias massages his temples in slight irritation "You know what... it doesn't matter, you got your head knocked a little, but nothing seems broken so it is good"

Jadeite chuckles slightly. "No need to worry. I doubt they will be capable of trying anything for some time."

"I think we should send Deidre a message to tell her we are coming, but we probably should get the rats first"

Darric raises his hand. "Um, I might be able to go off and find Kayda again; I think she might be inspecting the Docks again."

Athedia
2015-01-15, 11:20 PM
Jadeite chuckles slightly. "No need to worry. I doubt they will be capable of trying anything for some time."

Darric raises his hand. "Um, I might be able to go off and find Kayda again; I think she might be inspecting the Docks again."

"That might be good, but I can't be long. I have to be back for an appointment later this afternoon."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-15, 11:40 PM
Jadeite looks at Badger curiously but acquiesces. "You might need to tell Dierdre that more than me," is all he says.

Thankfully the lab is within walking distance, though with the sun beating down and the hot and muggy air attraction mosquitoes and inducing sweat by the minute, that definition is rapidly becoming rather questionable. Jadeite seems fine, but at the same time he does offer the rest of the party a share of his prestidigation spell with minimal asking.

The lab is quiet, still partially rubble from the golem attack. The repairs seem to have been halted for the moment so now partially-finished scaffolding rises above the mostly-cleared smashed wood and stone, and the broken wall remains as-is. Jadeite's room is on the other side of the building, safe and locked and warded with multiple magical traps that take Jadeite and Surdrak several minutes to disarm.

"I saw someone passing by in the middle of the night and did not wish to take chances," he says. Indeed, as he talks a hobgoblin janitor (the same one anyone who came to the lab last night saw) passes, indicating that the lab is not quite closed to the public.

The inside of the lab is clean, and rows of identical cages line the walls and squeeze into every inch of the room. Each cage contains two or three rats, and each cage is also clearly marked with what water sample, if any, the rats were given. The rats given supposedly tainted water are either obviously ill or dead, with flies already alighting on their bodies. The others are fine.

"Which ones should we take?" Jadeite asks.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-16, 12:11 AM
Artorias takes some time to examine the caged rats "Ideally, we would take some of the ill rats and some of the healthy ones" he scratches his chin, he hadn't shaved in a while and the stubble started to itch, "However, I don't know how Deidre or her guards would take to us taking clearly diseased rats to her..."

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-16, 01:20 AM
"take the healthy rats" Elsee chimed in. "feed 'em up now so they're not hungry, then give 'em the bad water in front of her eyes, maybe one or two with clean water. then we leave 'em there for a bit, let her see for herself."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-16, 12:31 PM
"That would be a good idea," Jadeite says, "Though they did not fall I'll until late in the night. But perhaps we could do both."

what do you want to do? Both or something else?

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-16, 11:06 PM
Elsee shruged. "Gueeess that works out... would probably be bringing like half the dang things in that case though."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-17, 11:36 PM
"In that case," Jadeite says as he reaches for Artorias's bag of holding, "We'll just have to leave this open, won't we."

That works for some of the cages. Others are strapped to Kheel's back, and still others are delicately balanced on a Floating Disc. They hustle to the Heights, weapons out and ready, and so don't get any trouble.

The Heights are quiet, but it's a more serene quiet than the oppressive stillness elsewhere in the city. The people who are on the streets are quietly walking their pets or having servants do it for the, every large lawn is neatly trimmed, and the Wyvern's Fangs couldn't look more out of place. There's no more than three mansions to a block, and each is huge and well-maintained, even now. And each one has its own well. Dierdre's mansion, at the north end of the Heights, is the most fortress-like of them all, with tall ornamental fences, smoothed down with sharp spikes on their tips, trees with branches too thin to climb on, and a gardener's shack that seems to double as a guardhouse. Two humans, neatly dressed and groomed, appear to stand guard outside.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-18, 02:37 PM
"Sure... put the rats into my bag, I haven't even figured out how to to clean it yet! Artorias let's his head hang in defeat.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-18, 02:41 PM
"Why, thank you for volunteering," Jadeite says with a grin.

Is this ok? If so I'll most forward to Dierdre's mansion. If not we can think of something else.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-18, 03:59 PM
The Heights are quiet, but it's a more serene quiet than the oppressive stillness elsewhere in the city. The people who are on the streets are quietly walking their pets or having servants do it for the, every large lawn is neatly trimmed, and the Wyvern's Fangs couldn't look more out of place. There's no more than three mansions to a block, and each is huge and well-maintained, even now. And each one has its own well. Dierdre's mansion, at the north end of the Heights, is the most fortress-like of them all, with tall ornamental fences, smoothed down with sharp spikes on their tips, trees with branches too thin to climb on, and a gardener's shack that seems to double as a guardhouse. Two humans, neatly dressed and groomed, appear to stand guard outside.

At the sight of the humans, elf, goblin, and Wyvern, the guards shift to a slightly more aggressive stance. "Who are you, and state your business," they say, keeping their focus on Kheel.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-18, 04:03 PM
"Easy there boys, we are the Wyvern's Fang and we have a meting with lady Deidre." he then notices their attention is focused on Kheel. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. Kheel is very well mannered and trained, but even he becomes anxious when people wave weapons in his face."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-18, 04:18 PM
"Easy there boys, we are the Wyvern's Fang and we have a meting with lady Deidre."

"Do you have any proof?" one guard asks as the other fumbles for something under his shirt. When he seems to find it he takes on an expression of intense concentration.

he then notices their attention is focused on Kheel. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. Kheel is very well mannered and trained, but even he becomes anxious when people wave weapons in his face."

"Is that a threat?!" the first guard shouts as he reaches for his spear.

"Easy there, Peter," a glass-smooth voice says from behind him. The guardhouse door quietly opens, and Kayda steps out. As before, she's flanked by several hobgoblin guards, including the nearly ogre-sized brute.

"Artorias, was it?" she asks, making her way towards the gates. "Have you forgotten your manners so quickly?"

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-18, 04:32 PM
"Do you have any proof?" one guard asks as the other fumbles for something under his shirt. When he seems to find it he takes on an expression of intense concentration.

"Is that a threat?!" the first guard shouts as he reaches for his spear. [/QUOTE]

"Not really, just a suggestion" he replies sardonically.

/QUOTE]
"Easy there, Peter," a glass-smooth voice says from behind him. The guardhouse door quietly opens, and Kayda steps out. As before, she's flanked by several hobgoblin guards, including the nearly ogre-sized brute.

"Artorias, was it?" she asks, making her way towards the gates. "Have you forgotten your manners so quickly?"[/QUOTE]

Artorias nods in acknowledgement "I'm afraid manners haven't been my strong suit ever ,Kayda; just ask my mother" he says with some humour in his voice "I am assuming you got our message?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-18, 05:12 PM
Kayda nods. "Consider yourself fortunate that Darric was able to gain audience so easily, and also consider improvin your diplomatic skills." She raises her voice slightly, "You all may enter, but the Wyvern must remain outside."

Once the party agrees to do so, the guards open the gates long enough for everyone to enter, then close them again.

"The estate is heavily warded, so you would do well to be careful," Kayda says as they walk along the grounds. Indeed, more discerning eyes can see warding stones and the like concealed in the foliage, or artfully integrated into statues dotting the garden. Military-minded eyes can see how the shrubbery and ornamental walls forcefully redirect and orient people, putting them in clear view of whomever might be in te balconies above.

Kayda opens the door with a heavy, intimidating sound, and despite the bright daylight outside the party finds themselves walking into shadows and darkness. She closes the door behind the party with an echoing click, and it takes some time for everyone's eyes to adjust to the shadows.

When they do, they find themselves in a warm foyer, lined with plants and ornamental spider webs. They're artfully arranged, the thin strands spanning from leaf to leaf and hanging from the corners. The webs cover the windows but it's heavy velvet drapes which block the light. Theres a bench and side table hewn from fine stone which are thankfully mostly free rom webs. The foyer seems to be built to allow circulation of air and in fact anyone listening carefully can hear low voices even before Kayda walks off. A few spiders, some as large as a thumb, complete the scene.

"I'll get Dierdre," Kayda says as she heads off, leaving the party in the foyer.

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-19, 12:12 AM
Elsee smiles beneath her facemask as she looked about the room, her hands folded behind her back as she rocked forward and back on her heels. "Nice place aint it?"

Athedia
2015-01-19, 12:22 AM
Kayda nods. "Consider yourself fortunate that Darric was able to gain audience so easily, and also consider improvin your diplomatic skills." She raises her voice slightly, "You all may enter, but the Wyvern must remain outside."

Once the party agrees to do so, the guards open the gates long enough for everyone to enter, then close them again.

"The estate is heavily warded, so you would do well to be careful," Kayda says as they walk along the grounds. Indeed, more discerning eyes can see warding stones and the like concealed in the foliage, or artfully integrated into statues dotting the garden. Military-minded eyes can see how the shrubbery and ornamental walls forcefully redirect and orient people, putting them in clear view of whomever might be in te balconies above.

Kayda opens the door with a heavy, intimidating sound, and despite the bright daylight outside the party finds themselves walking into shadows and darkness. She closes the door behind the party with an echoing click, and it takes some time for everyone's eyes to adjust to the shadows.

When they do, they find themselves in a warm foyer, lined with plants and ornamental spider webs. They're artfully arranged, the thin strands spanning from leaf to leaf and hanging from the corners. The webs cover the windows but it's heavy velvet drapes which block the light. Theres a bench and side table hewn from fine stone which are thankfully mostly free rom webs. The foyer seems to be built to allow circulation of air and in fact anyone listening carefully can hear low voices even before Kayda walks off. A few spiders, some as large as a thumb, complete the scene.

"I'll get Dierdre," Kayda says as she heads off, leaving the party in the foyer.

"Spiders." Badger had stayed quiet so she would not say anything to upset Kayd but now the Drow was gone she left herself shudder. "What do you bet she is around the corner, listening?"

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-19, 12:50 AM
"I would consider it a near-certainty," Jadeite says.

Barely a couple minutes after the Wyvern's Fangs have sat down, a young half-drow in simple servant's clothes comes by with a tray of water, a steaming hot teapot, and six glasses. "Would you like some water or tea?" he asks in a quiet voice. "Lady Dierdre is in a meeting right now." The tea smells like citrus and hibiscus, and the spiders move away from the tray as the serving boy approaches.

Hey, Cecil mentioned spiders all that time ago!

Anyway I'm going to bed now. Night everyone!

You can hear two people talking a couple rooms away. One of the voices is softer and more feminine, while the other is deeper and more gruff. A third voice--Kayda's--chimes in and there's silence for a moment.

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-19, 01:29 AM
Elsee ignored her thirsty lips and shook her head, not trusting anything from within the city until this whole thing was sorted out. "any idea what happened to the hobgoblin guy who came in to book us though?"

dont remember anything cecil said sadly, sure it's important though :P

super dark33
2015-01-19, 02:21 PM
Surdrak refuses the water politely and stands behind everyone. He doesnt bother listening.

Athedia
2015-01-19, 02:30 PM
"I would consider it a near-certainty," Jadeite says.

Barely a couple minutes after the Wyvern's Fangs have sat down, a young half-drow in simple servant's clothes comes by with a tray of water, a steaming hot teapot, and six glasses. "Would you like some water or tea?" he asks in a quiet voice. "Lady Dierdre is in a meeting right now." The tea smells like citrus and hibiscus, and the spiders move away from the tray as the serving boy approaches.

Badger shook her head at the tea, still creeped out by the spiders. "A meeting? With who?"

Listen: [roll0]

Badger paused, her face growing tight. "She wouldn't. Artorias, take a sniff around." She nodded toward the direction of the voices. "I hear a dwarf in there."

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-20, 11:45 PM

"Why would I do that?" he mutters, mostly to himself once Kayda is outside of earshot. He studies the foyer, he takes special interest in the ornamental web; Artorias had read somewhere that they were common in Drow's house-holds, but he had never seen them before."Interesting decor isn't it?" he says as he watches a spider scurry away from view.

Take 10 for a total of 20

I'll take that tea, thank you"Artorias gives Badger a blank look as he takes the tea-cup from the tray, he makes sure there are no spiders hiding in it though. "I'm not a dog you know?" he complains, but follows her advice none-the-less, he focuses for a second before starting to smell the room, starting with the tea in his hand.

I don't suppose I could take 20 on this check could I?

Silverraptor
2015-01-21, 12:33 AM
Sora looks around at the spider décor that forced her to remember getting caught in a large web spread eagle. While that itself didn't bother her, the memory of fast approaching flames while stuck spread eagle in the flammable webs caused her to shiver slightly.
"Just as long as no one sets it on fire this time..."
She whispers under her breath to no one in particular.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-21, 12:42 AM
"I hope that is not a problem this time," Jadeite mutters back to Sora. "And yes Artorias, I find the decor rather fetching. Though I must say I prefer snakes."

The tea smells delicious, a well-balanced blend of hibiscus, lemon, and orange. And no, there are no spiders in it. The house itself smells clean and well-maintained; Lady Dierdre's servants must be meticulous about it. And as for the guest...

Badger's right, it's a dwarf; the smell is very similar to the one on the chain shirt. But it's not quite the same. The cologne is of a different brand, one that's more subtle, less ostentatious. There's a stronger smell of sweat and exertion, though again this is very subtle too. But the other smells are practically identical to the one on the chain shirt.

Silverraptor
2015-01-21, 12:45 AM
"I hope that is not a problem this time," Jadeite mutters back to Sora. "And yes Artorias, I find the decor rather fetching. Though I must say I prefer snakes."

The tea smells delicious, a well-balanced blend of hibiscus, lemon, and orange. And no, there are no spiders in it. The house itself smells clean and well-maintained; Lady Dierdre's servants must be meticulous about it. And as for the guest...

Badger's right, it's a dwarf; the smell is very similar to the one on the chain shirt. But it's not quite the same. The cologne is of a different brand, one that's more subtle, less ostentatious. There's a stronger smell of sweat and exertion, though again this is very subtle too. But the other smells are practically identical to the one on the chain shirt.

"What do you mean, 'not a problem this time?!' You're not going to light it on fire for fun are you?!"
Sora's voice is a whispered outburst directed at Jadeite.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-21, 10:59 AM
Artorias takes a tentative sip of the tea, "This is actually quite nice" he says surprised, sniffing the air once more to be sure "You are right Badger, definitely a Dwarf in there"

Athedia
2015-01-21, 05:29 PM
"I think we should meet this visitor of hers then." Badger looked toward the door waiting for any sound.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-21, 07:37 PM
"What do you mean, 'not a problem this time?!' You're not going to light it on fire for fun are you?!"
Sora's voice is a whispered outburst directed at Jadeite.

"Really now, when have I ever done that? It's the others you should be more concerned about," Jadeite stage-whispers back.

"I think we should meet this visitor of hers then." Badger looked toward the door waiting for any sound.

The conversation dies down and doesn't pick up again. Within just a few minutes the door opens. A dwarf walks out, escorted by some of Dierdre's hobgoblin bodyguards, and his own assistant who is carrying some rolled-up blueprints under her arm.

He's not Cesare. For one thing, Cesare doesn't have dark skin. Cesare has pale skin, straight black hair, and piercing blue eyes. This dwarf has dark skin, wiry black-brown hair, and brown eyes. He's also stockier than Cesare. He nods politely to the party as he leaves.

And then Kayda walks in. "You may come in and see Lady Dierdre now," barely waiting for the party to stand up before she turns and walks back down the hallway. The hallway to Dierdre is darker than the foyer, so dim that the Wyvern's Fangs can barely see the outlines (though Jadeite and Elsee can see without an issue) of wood-and-stone statues with swords and shields in their hands lining the hallway. They salute as Lady Kayda passes, then return to their positions as the party follows behind her. The wooden floor creaks intermittently--and probably deliberately from the sound of it--as they walk and they can feel a warm breeze from somewhere in the room. Finally, they come to a curtain woven from dried dyed spider silk, which Kayda pulls aside.

"Lady Dierdre, I have the Wyvern's Fangs," she says.

There's a pause, and then a voice like silk hiding steel says, "Enter, and take a seat."

This room is brighter than the hallway, but still dim compared to outside. Still, the whole party can see with little difficulty. The room is large, with a desk in the corner, bookcases lining one wall, and in the center a large comfortable couch (big enough to seat everyone) on one side of a low coffee table. On the other side is a green leather chair, built so that anyone sitting in that chair rises above whomever might be sitting in the couch. Dierdre is in the chair.

Dierdre is a middle aged drow, with the slightest hint of lines around the corners of her mouth and eyes. She's dressed in violet silks and the finest fashion in Runite, so fine that it no longer needs to be ostentatious. She's crossed one knee over the other (her dress doesn't quite ride up that far) and her fingers are steepled together under her chin, displaying two rings. Her hair is back, combed in an elaborate style that exposes her ears and finished with a golden barrette. The only other jewelry she wears are a necklace and a bracelet around her right wrist, both simple in their elegance, and both also adorned with a subtle symbol of Erikaf. She is flanked by one guard on each side and there are more by the doorway. And the party is sitting with their backs to the doorway. Dierdre has no visible weapons, but...it doesn't seem like she'd need them.

"Artorias, Badger, Sora, Surdrak, Elsee, and Jadeite," she says, nodding to each of them in turn. "I hear you have some information for me?"

I was going to make you roll to recognize the dwarf/recognize he's not Cesare, but then I remembered that you guys saw Cesare at the very start of the game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14809502&postcount=11).

And Athedia, trust me when I say it's a very good thing you didn't sneak in on her. You're not a rogue; you would have been caught.

Athedia
2015-01-22, 12:43 AM
"So. Ready to fix the wells before more poor die? I don't care much for your pride that has forced us to prove so much when you sit safe in this neighborhood. Drow or human, you're all the same up here."

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-22, 03:05 AM
Elsee loudly slapped her forehead with her palm and sighed. "what she's TRYENG to say es that a few days ago we met one of your girls who was testeng food to see if et was spreading the disease, we thought et might be the water, but she wanted proof. Well we collected a bunch of vials, Elf boy here watered some rats, and now a good portion of them are dead from the disease, and we have more to infect before you're very eyes if you don't mind. Supposedly there's some hint of this whole thing being purposeful sabotage, but i dunno much about that."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-22, 09:50 AM
"So. Ready to fix the wells before more poor die? I don't care much for your pride that has forced us to prove so much when you sit safe in this neighborhood. Drow or human, you're all the same up here."

"Badger, what do you think you're--?!"

Dierdre's eyes flash, and every bodyquard in the room stands and reaches for their weapons (the party can hear steel being unsheathed behind them), but the drow holds up a hand. "Wait," she says, and leans forward.

Her voice is dripping with sarcasm; the steel is bared. "Badger, you know that I have tried to become a Senator for nearly a decade. Do you honestly believe I would ignore the city falling apart around, me, that I would ignore someone sabotaging my sewers? Did it not occur to you that perhaps I do have the best interests of Runite at heart? Did you not once question why I needed incontrovertible proof?"

She leans back and steeples her fingers again. "Though I am loath to admit it, my hands are more tied than I would like them to be." She clicks her fingers and another servant comes over with several newspapers. They spill out onto the table. All of them have incendiary titles like, Mistress of Death!, Dierdre Kalidar, Builder of Runite or Architect of its Destruction? and The Insidious Rise of the Plavaan!

"As you see, and as you would have seen if you had been keeping abreast of the news here," she says. "Anything I do now is automatically considered suspect. I could not come to you because that would have tainted your actions; you needed to come to me. I have had some success working with Marius--that was the man who just left. He is one of my main partners on this project, and as a dwarf he is able to operate more freely in these times." She leans back and folds her hands again. "So, are we willing to start again?"

Elsee loudly slapped her forehead with her palm and sighed. "what she's TRYENG to say es that a few days ago we met one of your girls who was testeng food to see if et was spreading the disease, we thought et might be the water, but she wanted proof. Well we collected a bunch of vials, Elf boy here watered some rats, and now a good portion of them are dead from the disease, and we have more to infect before you're very eyes if you don't mind. Supposedly there's some hint of this whole thing being purposeful sabotage, but i dunno much about that."

There's a hint of a smile on her face. "Thank you, Elsee. What else have you found?"

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-22, 01:52 PM
"other then some busted runes in a hurricane-damaged well and a dragon-acid burn on a wyvvern? Not a whole lot on my end. Anyone else got sometheng here?"

super dark33
2015-01-22, 02:28 PM
Half dragon aligators in swamps and thieves hired by people of influence.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-22, 03:41 PM
Artorias looks as if he wants to add something, but in all honestly the rest of the party had pretty much said anything that needed to be said. "Yeah.... pretty much that." he lamely finishes.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-23, 08:37 PM
"other then some busted runes in a hurricane-damaged well and a dragon-acid burn on a wyvvern? Not a whole lot on my end. Anyone else got sometheng here?"

Half dragon aligators in swamps and thieves hired by people of influence.

Artorias looks as if he wants to add something, but in all honestly the rest of the party had pretty much said anything that needed to be said. "Yeah.... pretty much that." he lamely finishes.

Jadeite leans forward and unrolls the maps and charts on the table. He then begins to lay out cages as he speaks. "Please forgive my colleague's rudeness; I assure you she in no way reflects our thoughts our attitude. And if I may, we do have concrete data. If you would look at this cluster of wells, you will see that there is a significant rate of infection around them..."

He continues explaining the scientific data for several minutes, describing every chart and the results of the tests in extreme detail. Dierdre's face remains impassive, but when he shows the mice and describes the cracked runes her eyes slightly widen. When he finishes, she uncrosses her legs and rests her folded hands under her chin.

"So you claim that there is a conspiracy, that someone is destroying my wells, befouling the water, and attempting to destroy evidence that links this crime to them? Is that what you claim?" Her voice is sharp, but unlike before it doesn't sound accusatory.

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-23, 09:17 PM
"Well et COULD be a huge streng of largely unrelated coincidences that have led up to all thes. But you can't honestly believe that can you?"

Silverraptor
2015-01-23, 11:59 PM
"Well, it could go either way. One, someone is sabotaging your wells, trying to discredit you and killing a bunch of people they don't like. Or two, through some oversight from you, some of your wells are deteriorating to the point that the disease flourished and spread. Which one sounds most likely to you?"
Sora puts that out there with a more 'matter of fact' tone to help everyone come to the same conclusion.

[roll0]

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-24, 11:21 PM
Sora's tone and speech seems to mollify Dierdre, and she instantly seems subtly calmer. "Marcos and I have been inspecting my sewers, and I can assure you that deterioration is not an issue. Which means there is a conspiracy, and there is only one person I know who is foolish enough to gamble the city on his own ambition. Cesare."

Athedia
2015-01-25, 01:48 AM
"Smells like a dwarf, spends like a dwarf.... But we know he isn't working alone, I have some connections that might lead me to his inner circle of plotters. We get them to turn and he will fall." Badger had been grumpily sitting back and listening to the others cozy to Deidre.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-25, 11:22 AM
Dierdre laces her fingers together. "Who might you be in contact with? I do have a plan in mind, and perhaps we can...cooperate to expose Cesare."

Athedia
2015-01-25, 01:40 PM
Dierdre laces her fingers together. "Who might you be in contact with? I do have a plan in mind, and perhaps we can...cooperate to expose Cesare."

"You obviously don't understand how contacts work. They tell me information, I make a plan. I don't share that plan or information about my contacts with people like you." Badger looked at Deidre's interlaced fingers and felt her lip twitch in disgust. She felt trapped in here, gilded walls and guards and no way out.

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-25, 03:05 PM
Elsee quirked an eyebrow at Badger. "Esn't this the exact freakeng check we're tryeng to help here?"

Athedia
2015-01-25, 03:18 PM
Elsee quirked an eyebrow at Badger. "Esn't this the exact freakeng check we're tryeng to help here?"

"You want to help, they want to help. I am here because my city is dying. I am here because I saw a kid barely survive while those next to him die. I want the poisoners away and the people safe. I don't care what happens to Miss Rich and Hidden. It just so happened they are using her creation to poison and murder the poor districts." Badger clenched her fists tightly and bent over taking a few deep breathes. "Tell me your plan, least wise so I don't step on its toes."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-25, 10:54 PM
Dierdre has been preparing herself to stand up (in fact, it looks like the guards were ready to throw Badger out), but now she settles back in her seat. "As am I," she says. "In that, our interests align. You may think of me as a secluded overlord or whatever you will, but let me assure you that I too have the best interests of this city at heart. I will not allow it to die. And I will certainly not allow its potential murderers to use my creation as their weapon."

She unclasps her hands and rests them at the sides of the chair. "If you think I am idle, then you likely would not want to spend any more time in the Heights. But unfortunately if you wish to expose Cesare you must do exactly that." She clicks her fingers and two hobgoblin attendants leave the room. "The both of us know that Cesare is likely the culprit. Nobody else has the means, motive, or utter foolishness. But we must prove it, and we must expose him." The hobgoblin guards return, carrying rolled-up flyers, raven masks with long black carved beaks, and servant's outfits.

"Tonight there is a ball--a masquerade--at Cesare's mansion. Naturally many of Runite's socialites will be present, drinking wine and ignoring the moans of the ill and dying." Now she lets a hint of venom into her voice. "If one were to sneak into this ball, it might be possible to obtain critical information, or even expose him then and there."

Athedia
2015-01-25, 11:48 PM
Dierdre has been preparing herself to stand up (in fact, it looks like the guards were ready to throw Badger out), but now she settles back in her seat. "As am I," she says. "In that, our interests align. You may think of me as a secluded overlord or whatever you will, but let me assure you that I too have the best interests of this city at heart. I will not allow it to die. And I will certainly not allow its potential murderers to use my creation as their weapon."

She unclasps her hands and rests them at the sides of the chair. "If you think I am idle, then you likely would not want to spend any more time in the Heights. But unfortunately if you wish to expose Cesare you must do exactly that." She clicks her fingers and two hobgoblin attendants leave the room. "The both of us know that Cesare is likely the culprit. Nobody else has the means, motive, or utter foolishness. But we must prove it, and we must expose him." The hobgoblin guards return, carrying rolled-up flyers, raven masks with long black carved beaks, and servant's outfits.

"Tonight there is a ball--a masquerade--at Cesare's mansion. Naturally many of Runite's socialites will be present, drinking wine and ignoring the moans of the ill and dying." Now she lets a hint of venom into her voice. "If one were to sneak into this ball, it might be possible to obtain critical information, or even expose him then and there."

"I assume you mean one of us with a, reputable appearance?" Badger raised an eyebrow at Sora.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-26, 11:35 AM
Dierdre nods, shooting at pointed look in Sora's direction. "Precisely. These kinds of people rarely consider their servants, and now it shall be their downfall."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-27, 10:17 AM
Jadeite speaks up again. "Do we have to dress as servants?"

Dierdre shakes her head. "Not necessarily, though it might be the wiser option. If you can secure a noble's outfit and play the part just as well, then you might be able to masquerade as a traveling or native noble. The masks would certainly help in this regard. Or you could try sneaking in without any disguises, although this would be by far the most dangerous option. Of course, I have not been invited," her voice drips with sarcasm, "but I might be able to secure some material aid, depending on what you request."

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-27, 01:07 PM
"Jadeite, isn't your family nobility in the elven lands?"

Silverraptor
2015-01-27, 04:27 PM
"Yes he is! In fact, Jadeite and I were able to infiltrate a similar event wearing noble outfits."
She walks over to Jadeite.
"And while my blood lineage can be questioned or nobility, we were able to pull it off as me being Jadeite's date and possible lover."
Sora hooks her arm around Jadeite's while simultaneously putting her head on his shoulders. To anyone else watching, it would seem like they (or at least Sora) were actually in love. But to the Wyvern's Fang, it was obvious she was tease flirting with Jadeite once again.
"And also..."
After a brief pause of acting lovey-dovey, she lifts up her head and her tone shifts to a darker, more critical tone, directed to the rest of the Wyvern's Fang.
"...this will also drive out that maid outfit in all of your minds right now as working in that Dwarf's estate with that pudgy, disgusting, walking lard of a son most likely groping my ass every chance he got."
She then goes back to placing her head on Jadeite's shoulder, acting, if possible, more flirtatious then before to Jadeite. Her voice was soft and suggestive as she almost whispers it into Jadeites ear.
"If I were to put on a maid outfit, it wouldn't be to work and the ass grabbing would be on my terms."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-28, 12:19 AM
"Jadeite, isn't your family nobility in the elven lands?"

"Technically yes, though the exact details are somewhat more complicated than--!"

"Yes he is! In fact, Jadeite and I were able to infiltrate a similar event wearing noble outfits."
She walks over to Jadeite.
"And while my blood lineage can be questioned or nobility, we were able to pull it off as me being Jadeite's date and possible lover."
Sora hooks her arm around Jadeite's while simultaneously putting her head on his shoulders. To anyone else watching, it would seem like they (or at least Sora) were actually in love. But to the Wyvern's Fang, it was obvious she was tease flirting with Jadeite once again.
"And also..."
After a brief pause of acting lovey-dovey, she lifts up her head and her tone shifts to a darker, more critical tone, directed to the rest of the Wyvern's Fang.
"...this will also drive out that maid outfit in all of your minds right now as working in that Dwarf's estate with that pudgy, disgusting, walking lard of a son most likely groping my ass every chance he got."
She then goes back to placing her head on Jadeite's shoulder, acting, if possible, more flirtatious then before to Jadeite. Her voice was soft and suggestive as she almost whispers it into Jadeites ear.
"If I were to put on a maid outfit, it wouldn't be to work and the ass grabbing would be on my terms."

Cut off by Sora suddenly draping herself all over Jadeite, the necromancer squirms and tries to escape the cleric's embrace. Just before he's about to shove Sora off of her by pushing against her face, he suddenly stops and goes slightly limp, trying not to react at all. Instead he looks at Sora with a smile and says, "Well, we certainly can't have that wretched sack of lard harassing you. I would never stand for that. So instead, I shall don a butler's outfit; I am sure that such a 'creep,' as you would say would not be interested in someone as masculine as I."

Dierdre says nothing, but simply raises an eyebrow and watches with mild amusement.

Feel free to banter, but you also need to make a plan

Silverraptor
2015-01-28, 12:56 AM
Sora considers Jadeite for a moment.
"Nah! I don't see you as the butler type. You'd blow our cover in the first 10 minutes."
She looks at the rest of the group.
"All in favor of Jadeite and I infiltrating the party as guests and keeping eye on the potential targets while the rest of you do whatever, raise you hand up high!"
She wasn't even halfway done with her sentence before her hand was up at full extend and she was bouncing on the ball of her heels.

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-28, 04:33 AM
Elsee smirked and folded her arms under her chest as she leaned back in the couch. "Well 'm sure the lot of you will be havin fun then. Don't know about you guys but 'm not seein my kind getting within ten yards of that place without bein labled as target practice. Nooo thank you!"

Elsee was also unwilling to take off the facemask without very good reason, and knowing the noble's type, keeping the thing on would just label her as infected and to be thrown into the fire pit to keep their asses warm.

super dark33
2015-01-28, 02:03 PM
Surdrak threw a "back off hes mine" glare to Sora. And he thought HE was aggresive with his courting.

I can get into the masqarade as a noble, i used to spend my evenings drinking with these types, Once even with Calix.

Surdrak wants to anchellus Jadeite. Sora wants Jadeite to anchellus her.
I am having tons of fun with this.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-28, 03:45 PM
Artorias burries his head in a mixture of shame and annoyance at his companions.

Athedia
2015-01-29, 02:51 PM
Badger shook her head. "Jadiete I can believe but Sora. Do you have any practice acting as a lady? You would lower his status, appear scandalous. The point is to pay attention not draw it. Gossip is a subtle act and often one must tiptoe just on this side of danger. The servants game is easier, they love to share the secrets of their 'betters'." Her voice was certain, not the scared and angry tremor of before. She put a hand gently on Sora's shoulder trying to calm her bouncing.

Silverraptor
2015-01-29, 02:59 PM
Badger shook her head. "Jadiete I can believe but Sora. Do you have any practice acting as a lady? You would lower his status, appear scandalous. The point is to pay attention not draw it. Gossip is a subtle act and often one must tiptoe just on this side of danger. The servants game is easier, they love to share the secrets of their 'betters'." Her voice was certain, not the scared and angry tremor of before. She put a hand gently on Sora's shoulder trying to calm her bouncing.

"So... I'm assuming you agree Jadeite and I infiltrate as guests while Surdrak infiltrates as a servant?"
She looks at Jadeite for a moment and puts her hand to her chin.
"A pity that I couldn't come across as an elf myself. Probably would attract a little less attention."

Athedia
2015-01-29, 03:07 PM
"So... I'm assuming you agree Jadeite and I infiltrate as guests while Surdrak infiltrates as a servant?"
She looks at Jadeite for a moment and puts her hand to her chin.
"A pity that I couldn't come across as an elf myself. Probably would attract a little less attention."

She shook her head again. "No, you are not suited to be a guest. You have to much youth, joy. Your disguise would be revealed as soon as a conversation started."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-29, 04:19 PM
"Thank you, Badger," jadeite says in relief, shooting a glance over Surdrak's jealous expression. He follows up with a few muttered, barely audible comments about, "dignity," and, "not the local stagecoach."

Dierdre chooses this moment to speak up, though she still seems highly amused. "I lack the knowledge of your acting ability to give any opinion, but an additional guestigjt facilitate the disguise."

Silverraptor
2015-01-29, 05:55 PM
She shook her head again. "No, you are not suited to be a guest. You have to much youth, joy. Your disguise would be revealed as soon as a conversation started."

"What?! I'll have you know that Jadeite and I did go under cover once before and my disguise was not compromised then! I am quite capable of getting into the proper mind set of a mild mannered and dull guest at the equivalent level of Jadeite. And besides-"
She takes a step forward and a magnificent noble dress appears over her chain shirt and other articles of clothing she was wearing. Even 2 sparkling earrings appear. The entire outfit would not be out of place at a high class ball.
"-I can even wear whatever I like while remaining protected from anything dangerous that might happen. And as for my acting..."
She takes a few steps forward towards Dierdre, walking stance completely different to that of a high noble. She stops and curtsies toward her, lifting up the glamoured image dress with her hands in a very respectful manner. She murmurs a highly respectable greeting to Dierdre while performing the gesture.

Athedia
2015-01-29, 10:51 PM
"You talk. You show none of the restraint of the rich. In this case you should not have curtsied, not so deep. Deidre is a peer in wealth, lesser in status in your eyes. Remember we want to ingratiate ourselves with Cesar's allies. A small snub, using articles to address someone one extra station below that will be noticed but in way they speak."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-29, 11:00 PM
Both Jadeite and Dierdre slowly turn their gaze to Badger, sitting there in her sweat-stained armor and slightly sunburnt skin.

"That...is correct," Dierdre says in an even voice.

"I would bowed not quite as deeply as you have but deeper than Badger is suggesting, to show that while I am aware of their customs and her social status, I do not care for them and am only complying to avoid an unneeded altercation," Jadeite says in the same careful, cautious, level tone.

Silverraptor
2015-01-29, 11:03 PM
Sora looks over at Badger suspiciously.
"And how do you so much about this kind of stuff, Badger?"

Athedia
2015-01-29, 11:30 PM
"How do you know so much of your Astrid? Or Jadiete of his magic? Through study, observation and experience." She said all this while meeting Deidre's eyes, face frozen still. The drow had underestimated her, thought her just a crass bounty hunter. Most did.

Silverraptor
2015-01-30, 12:10 AM
Sora raised an eyebrow.
"'Experience?'"

Athedia
2015-01-30, 12:19 AM
Sora raised an eyebrow.
"'Experience?'"

"Did you believe I sprang fully formed from a cobblestone? My practice may be rusty but I have an excellent tutor."

Silverraptor
2015-01-30, 12:25 AM
"Oooookay... So what plan do you have then?"

Athedia
2015-01-30, 01:49 PM
"Oooookay... So what plan do you have then?"

"A friend of mine was going to throw a social event, and I was to blend in and listen. But this will work better. She is known to have Plavaan sympathies. I have a little more practice and then some shopping and disguising to do but I should be able to blend in. Jadiete would also make sense though maybe pursuing a different crowd. We will need people covering the servants both on the floor and in the background, they pick up more than people think. Artorias would be good for that. Surdrak is of somewhat noble blood or so I gather, though he is mad as a hatter. He might provide a distraction from the oddities of the rest of us."

Silverraptor
2015-01-30, 02:05 PM
Sora stands there contemplating what Badger says.
"So... am I to understand that it will in no way work for me to accompany Jadeite in the infiltration?"

Athedia
2015-01-30, 02:23 PM
Sora stands there contemplating what Badger says.
"So... am I to understand that it will in no way work for me to accompany Jadeite in the infiltration?"

"I will not refuse you that, but I have to warn you. You will be seen as a pet of his. A lower class hanger on for him to discard at his pleasure. In truth that may raise his status."

super dark33
2015-01-30, 03:00 PM
Thats a good plan.
I think i still have my courtier costume in my room, and i maybe can arrenge myself a mask in the shape of my face.* Once inside ill take a position by the bar- theyre dwarfs, there has to be one- and see if i can find Calix and peer-pressure him into drinking and revealing family secrets. If i cant find him, ill just be the distraction- attract the attention you dont need- while you gather the more importent information. Sounds good?

Running through his head were pictures of him shattering pricless bottles and/or art pieces with his mind, hitting on nobles, hitting nobles, causing nobles to hit nobles, causing nobles to hit servents, steal stuff, and maybe he will come up with more enjoying stuff while in there.

* Honestly would you expect anything else?
** hehehe deliberate jab at Dierdere because her sewers messed up.

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-30, 05:55 PM
"Welp! you guys have fun toppeleng the nobelety. Guess I'll go fesheng or sometheng i dunno."

CoffeeIncluded
2015-01-31, 08:25 PM
Jadeite grins a very nasty grin at Surdrak's plan, despite badger and Sora's continued discussion over who can be his excort-slash-date. Dierdre shares that grin, though it's more smirklike.

"Oh, I cannot wait to hear the reports on this party. And Elsee, why sell yourself short? I know you have your own...unique talents, as the young Wyvern circling pcerhea suggests."

Draconi Redfir
2015-01-31, 11:09 PM
elsee rolled her eyes and twirled a finger in the air as she spoke. "oh sure, i'll just circle the entire place all night, that's not boring or sucpicious at all. or should i act like a harlot and seduce the first lonely fella to walk out the back door?"