PDA

View Full Version : For Whom the Tofu Floats (Persona SoTVD)

Merilan
2014-12-22, 02:42 AM
Rain is rarely a welcome guest when one has appointments outside. Gentle and calming seen from the outside, it is a frequent nuisance when Myung-hon's duties include daily shopping in the morning... though the white-haired miko, standing at an abundantly average 5'6", does not appear to ever be one to complain. The rain is coming down hard one otherwise nondescript Tuesday morning, so hard that the individual droplets are more like prickling needles coming in sideways and limiting the value of an umbrella.

She's the only person seemingly foolish enough to run down the main street of the commercial business district, a distinct wooden bucket wrapped with what looks like a raincoat in hand... which leaves her, in her white flare-sleeved shrine maiden outfit, drenched and cold. But then a distinct whip of the wind flares through, driving the rain, and a clattering is heard.

And the bucket flies out of the miko's arms, and her blue raincoat is now damp against the puddles and with pieces of broken tofu on top. "Oh, no..." Myung-hon frowns, quietly turning to pick the pieces up to her tofu bucket and squeezing her raincoat out.

banthesun
2014-12-22, 03:01 AM
"Argh, what is with this horrid rain!"

Kyoko walked slowly, clutching the handle of her folding umbrella close to her chest, and trying to stay in the tiny circle of safety it provided, already her clothes were starting to get wet, the wind making sure only the area just under the umbrella's canopy stayed dry. As she walked, she kept her head tucked in tight, only peeking out of the safety zone to make sure she wasn't going to collide with anything.

It was because of her huddled position that Kyoko didn't notice the shrine maiden until she was almost on top of her, taking Kyoko by surprise when she glanced out again. What was a miko doing here, and in this weather? It looked like the girl was having trouble with something, so Kyoko approached her. You weren't supposed to ignore shrine maidens, after all, right?

"Uh, excuse me! Miss miko, do you need help with anything?" Kyoko called out, and gestured with the handle of her umbrella like she was willing to offer it to the girl (whilst still making sure she remained as dry as she could). It was only now that Kyoko noticed the girl's striking white hair, and that she looked young, maybe even as young as Kyoko.

Argh, if this is some cosplayer or something I'm gonna be so embarrassed!

Merilan
2014-12-22, 03:11 AM
Myung-hon stumbles back, and trips to her side momentarily; she regains her balance quickly, if only to pick up her now-empty tofu bucket and her tofu-stained raincoat. It's a little late for her to be free of wetness, with the thick fabrics of her unusual haori jacket and sleeves soaked to the fibres. The girl has a somewhat foreign look, and she's rather -- skinny, her skin a bit pale; her hair is white, but it isn't a particularly pretty white, the way it moves in rigid clumps as the wind tosses it, as if had been unhealthy and exposed to extreme cold and untenable conditions for a long time. She's a little ghostly, all told.

If she's a cosplayer, she's pulling the look off hecka well.

"T--thank you," she makes her first words of contact. She sounds foreign, her Japanese kind of broken, though not unintelligible. "This weather is a bit much... I must purchase more tofu and return to the shrine before long, or Grandfather would be worried."

Just when she finishes, the wind takes initiative and plays its next prank. Off her raincoat goes, flying into the distance. She sags quietly, disappointed.

banthesun
2014-12-22, 03:46 AM
Kyoko frowned when she heard the girl's voice. Was that an accent? It wasn't just this girl's appearance that was strange.

When the wind tore her raincoat away, Kyoko motioned to grab it, but it was long gone by the time she'd even moved. The wind was tugging at her umbrella too, and Kyoko worried it might be turned inside out if another gust came.

"Ah, quickly! We should find shelter first!" Kyoko exclaimed. The girl's outfit already looked drenched, so the expression of concern was more symbolic that anything. Spotting a nearby overhang, Kyoko hurried towards it, and gestured to the shrine maiden to follow.

Safely under cover, Kyoko shook out her umbrella and started fixing her hair, replacing the brightly coloured clip holding her fringe in place. "Uh, sorry about your raincoat..." she offered with a sideways glance.

Merilan
2014-12-22, 03:53 AM
There's a clumsiness to the miko's movements, but pretty soon, they've ducked under the overhang and out of the rain. Myung-hon glances to where the raincoat's gone off long ago, but quietly says, clutching her arms to the tofu bucket, "It is not your fault, it is okay. Thank you, for your help. You are right, it is rather much to be walking out the right now..."

She takes out an embroidered handkerchief from underneath her sleeve, but it's little comfort. It's just as soaked as the one before. She quietly offers it to Kyoko.

banthesun
2014-12-22, 04:18 AM
Kyoko accepted the handkerchief out of politeness, but it was so wet she wasn't sure what she could do with it. "Thanks. Uh, I hope this isn't rude, but uh, what were you doing?" Kyoko looked out at the spilled tofu sitting in the street as she spoke. Whatever the miko was up to, obviously it involved tofu. "You said something about getting stuff for your grandpa, right? But, uh, why the outfit? Do you have a part time job at a shrine or something?"

Merilan
2014-12-22, 04:32 AM
Myung-hon explains, "I was purchasing tofu for today's meals... my grandfather is the current owner of the Higashikata Shrine not far away, and I help him take care of the shrine as its shrine maiden." She looks to the empty bucket again, starting to wring some of the excess water from her red-threaded sleeves. At the question of the outfit, Myung-hon is a little perplexed. "These are the clothes I wear every day...?"

banthesun
2014-12-22, 04:46 AM
"Oh, wait, so like, you're an actual shrine maiden? Not just someone doing it part time? Uh, I'm so sorry!" Kyoko's hands flew to her mouth, and she hung her head with embarrassment. "Uh, I guess your tofu is... I guess you'll have to... Uh, do you need help with that?" asked Kyoko, half motioning as if to hand her the umbrella again.

"Do you need to get that kind of tofu? Packaged tofu would probably be a lot easier to cary in this weather, especially if the store's not nearby..." Kyoko mused, more to express empathy at the girl's situation than to pressure her to take her advice.

Merilan
2014-12-22, 04:55 AM
Genuinely, Myung-hon is a little confused at Kyoko's apology and embarrassment. "Are there other... kinds of shrine maidens?" she asks, all too terribly innocently. She looks to the bucket again, but then asks in turn, "Packaged... tofu? Oh, I just purchase the tofu from the tofu store down the road, and carry the blocks back with me in the bucket." Myung-hon points a few blocks down, where there's a dedicated soy products store. "Though you are right that it would be difficult to carry it back to the shrine right now..."

banthesun
2014-12-22, 05:55 AM
Wow... This girl really is weird. Did she come straight out of a story or something?

"Uh, like, people who just work at a shrine part time?" Kyoko replied, before deciding she didn't really want to be the one who had to educate this girl.

"Oh, it's just over there? You, uh, you really didn't get very far, did you..." Kyoko sighed, and gave the girl a soft smile. "Well, I guess it's better than dropping it right when you get home, at least... Here, you can borrow my umbrella!" she offered.

Merilan
2014-12-22, 12:25 PM
Myung-hon vaguely feels embarrassed, her lips thinning as she chews on them. Perhaps she's vaguely understanding she presents as strange, but doesn't quite understand it. "Oh, no, I couldn't possibly," she shakes her head, insistently. "I will wait until the rain has passed, it will be all right, Miss--"

She pauses, fidgeting again. "My apologies." She looks a bit nervous, but continues, "I am ... er, I am Hakari Myorei. Is... my official name." There's a difficult pause, before she requests, shyly, "But I prefer... Lyeo Myung-hon, if that would be okay." It's a foreign name, in Hangul, with phonetics that don't come naturally in Japanese.

banthesun
2014-12-22, 06:29 PM
"Lio Myun? Is that, Korean?" asked Kyoko, stumbling over the name.

Huh, if her real name is Japanese, why does she want to be called a Korean name?

Remembering that she'd been asked her name, Kyoko replied "Oh, I'm Ueda Kyoko. Pleasure to meet you!" and gave a quick bow. "It doesn't really look like the rain's going anywhere soon, are you sure you'll be alright?"

Merilan
2014-12-22, 06:33 PM
"It is Korean," Myung-hon confirms, bowing her head in turn. "But, I couldn't just take the umbrella from you, Kyoko...? You must have been headed someplace as well." while quite possibly misunderstanding the possible idea of sharing it - small as it may be.

banthesun
2014-12-22, 06:45 PM
Kyoko smiled, she felt unreasonably proud at guessing the origin of Myung-hon's name. The thought of sharing her umbrella hadn't crossed her mind either, though she really didn't just want to give it away, until Myung-hon said she couldn't just take Kyoko's umbrella.

"Hmm, I help you get to wherever you're going, Miss Miko," Kyoko offered. "We could probably share the umbrella, if you preffer?"

Merilan
2014-12-22, 06:55 PM
Myung-hon pauses... well, it isn't incorrect to be called by her profession, so to speak. "Ah, I should purchase that packaged tofu you were referring to and go back to the shrine." Her face scrunches for a moment, as she places her hand on her cheek. "The courtyard would be in disarray after this rain goes away... I will need to clean it again. Where were you headed, Kyoko?"

banthesun
2014-12-23, 06:33 AM
Kyoko cringed at Myung-hon's question. "Argh, I'm so late! I was on my way to school, but I'm running really late. This storm was really slowing me down..." She gave a defeated shrug. "Ugh, at this point maybe I should just head back... I've already gotten wet, and it would suck to catch a cold or something..."

Merilan
2014-12-23, 12:30 PM
So there is a deadline when one is attending school...

With that rather unusual thought in mind, Myung-hon decides, and says, "Please do not worry about me for my sake, Kyoko. If you need to be at school, then please attend to that."

banthesun
2014-12-23, 11:44 PM
Kyoko looked troubled, but she began heading away. But before she reached the edge of the overhang she stopped and turned back.

"Are you sure you're okay? I mean, the rain's pretty heavy..." Kyoko glanced back out into the storm, her expression telling she was questioning going out in it herself. "And if you need help... I mean, I could!"

Merilan
2014-12-23, 11:47 PM
Myung-hon nods, and says with sensibility, "I can always wash myself since I am returning home after this. It is not a problem if I become wet." She glances towards the distance, perhaps thinking of school now that the topic has been put in her mind. "I... believe I am moving to the school and dormitory in a few days, so perhaps I will see you then as well?" The topic has become well ingrained into her mind, what with her concern over how she will divide her time between school and the shrine.

banthesun
2014-12-24, 12:17 AM
It was clear this girl wasn't going to accept her help, but Kyoko still stood at the edge of the awning still torn between leaving or staying. When the wind drove another sheet of rain across the street, pounding against their shelter and splashing up from puddles, Kyoko jumped back.

I guess I can stay a little longer...

"Oh, you're going to go to school here? Is the deal with the shrine just a temporary thing?"

Merilan
2014-12-24, 12:23 AM
Myung-hon herself flinches from the sudden upturn, looking around and pointing towards an actual open store they could possibly escape into proper, hurrying over towards the entrance. Standing even just slightly outside of this torrid rain was becoming too much.

"I haven't..." Myung-hon begins, before pausing. "I will need to learn how this will affect my shrine duties. I do not want to stop, but..."

banthesun
2014-12-24, 12:30 AM
Kyoko nodded, and followed Myung-hon into the store.

"You really seem into this religious stuff..." Kyoko trailed off, realising she may have been too flippant to this girl. She was an actual shrine maiden, after all! "I mean, that's very admirable and all! It should be alright... How'd you manage it at your last school?"

Merilan
2014-12-24, 12:35 AM
A devastatingly catchy ondo rendition of a particular chain's theme song attacks their ears when they enter the store. To restore your hit-points, use our Me-di-cine... There are even kindly some towels that the nearby clerk on duty has prepared in anticipation for such an event.

"I've..." Myung-hon pauses, caught out and looking quietly embarrassed. It's kind of cute, perhaps, the way her tic betrays her otherwise somewhat stoic-looking face. "I've never attended school before, to be honest. Grandfather has taught me some Japanese and other subjects for a few years, but... that is about it." She looks squarely at Kyoko for a moment, curious.

banthesun
2014-12-24, 01:10 AM
Surprise showed on Kyoko's face. "You haven't been to school before? Like, you were homeschooled and everything?" It certainly wasn't unheard of, but Kyoko didn't think anyone would start coming to school this late. "Hmm, well... Actually, I don't know. School does take a lot of time, and homework takes even more..." Kyoko paused with an embarrassed looking grimace. "But some people manage to hold down part time jobs still!"

Merilan
2014-12-24, 01:14 AM
From other conversations, Myung-hon is quite aware it's a terribly late time to start schooling, private or otherwise. "Something... of the sort," Myung-hon answers, cagey and evasive on the topic of her previous schooling. "I likely would not be able to hold the shrine's full hours, but I do plan on at least serving on its upkeep and during orations and festivals. Do you have a part-time job yourself, Kyoko?"

banthesun
2014-12-24, 01:22 AM
Kyoko gave a coy grin, and rubbed the back of her neck. "Well, no, not personally... I'm not, I'm not really in any clubs either," she admitted, before adding a little defensively "I've only moved here recently though, so maybe I'll find something!"

Merilan
2014-12-24, 01:33 AM
Myung-hon procures a towel for the both of them, with a bow of thanks to the kindly clerk, and hands one towards Kyoko. "Clubs...?" Myung-hon asks, stumbling upon another social facet she's never heard of before. "Is that some kind of part-time job?"

banthesun
2014-12-24, 02:09 AM
Kyoko accepted the towel, and bowed to the clerk too. "Uhh, clubs are like... Well, extra things you do at school, apart from classes. You get to choose something you like, to do with other people. Uhh, but they're meant to have educational value too, if you understand what I mean? Like, what kind of stuff do you like?" Kyoko felt her explanation was probably a bit confusing, so perhaps an example that might suit Myung-hon would help. "You're meant to join at least one club, or the teachers get mad. I kinda, well, have an exemption. For reasons..."

Merilan
2014-12-24, 02:18 AM
Myung-hon can totally sense another social stumbling block coming and... bowls head-first into it. "I... well, I appreciate my family's religious beliefs...?" she clumsily tries. Though it's for lack of trying, given her rather obvious obliviousness to normal social activities. She tries to clarify: "Spiritual and syncretic worship does calm me. It has been very helpful."

banthesun
2014-12-24, 02:52 AM
"Err, I kinda meant like, hobbies and stuff..." replied Kyoko. Was this girl really that dedicated to her job as a shrine maiden? "I guess... there might be a cultural club or something that does stuff like that? I don't know, I've never really looked into that kind of stuff, myself. Maybe you could join a sports club or something instead?" She shrugged. "If it's too much trouble, you could probably ask your homeroom teacher when you start."

Merilan
2014-12-24, 02:55 AM
Myung-hon is at a rather plain-faced loss for an answer at the moment, though she reassures Kyoko (and herself): "I am certain I would find something that would pique my interest, when I begin school." A part of her, however, already knows she'll probably not have time for that, if she has to dash between school, the shrine, and also the dorms now.

banthesun
2014-12-24, 03:30 AM
Myung-hon's reassurances made it clear she didn't want to worry about the matter any further, so Kyoko smiled back. "Ahuh, I'm sure you'll find something good! Coming into school at this point must be pretty hard, but if you need someone to hang out with, let me know. I could introduce you to some of my friends too! Though that's mostly just the other girls from the dorm now..."

Merilan
2014-12-24, 03:41 AM
"Hmmm... I seem to have had some luck meeting people going to the school, lately," Myung-hon does confirm. "There was this kind girl who has really long hair and carried a naginata who visited my shrine on Sunday." She carefully leaves out the fight-lovin', bet-makin' part. "I'd be happy to meet your friends, Kyoko."

banthesun
2014-12-24, 03:53 AM
There was only one person that could describe!

"Wait, Tsubaki!?"

Kyoko was seriously surprised. That was just too much of a coincidence!

"Really short? Dresses weird? Is sorta... you know?" Kyoko wasn't sure how to describe Tsubaki without being somewhat insulting. Boyish, crazy-looking, weird attitude, none of those would have been polite. If Myung-hon had met Tsubaki, hopefully 'you know' would be descriptive enough.

"I know her, she's in my dorm!"

Merilan
2014-12-24, 03:56 AM
Causality dictates that Myung-hon play the perfect, serious deadpan to Kyoko's outburst: "Oh, yes, that was her name, Miss Tsubaki."

She smiles faintly, and tucks her head down. "She seemed reticient about some things, but I thought she was a very kind person inside. I could feel it."

banthesun
2014-12-24, 04:11 AM
"No way! She's my friend!" Kyoko was still excited about this revelation, and she kept on talking "I'm really surprised you got on so well with her! Most people would be kinda freaked out the first time they met her, since she's kinda... well, unique."

Merilan
2014-12-24, 04:15 AM
"Yes, we casually both admitted we've murdered people in our lives over matcha and cake."

Myung-hon arduously ignores Pari Kongju's voice within her, headtilting as she says, "She insisted I do not approach her at school, so I thought to give her space. But I am glad you are friends with her."

banthesun
2014-12-24, 04:31 AM
"Oh, right, that... She's really insistant about that, isn't she!" Kyoko rolled her eyes. "I had to have a bit of an argument about her over that. There's some bad rumours about her, and she always says she doesn't want them to rub off onto people... Well, half the time she isn't even there, anyway!"

Merilan
2014-12-24, 04:38 AM
"Hmmm... I didn't quite understand her situation, but I didn't want to make her uncomfortable," Myung-hon says with genteel reservation. "She didn't seem deeply troubled about it, so I thought it was fine to let it be...?"

banthesun
2014-12-24, 06:02 AM
Kyoko pursed her lips but nodded, to at least show she understood Myung-hon's perspective. "I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to leave her like that, if you get me? If you think it wasn't troubling her, well, I guess it's not a problem. And she does have a few close friends too." Kyoko gave Myung-hon a shrug and a faint smile.

Merilan
2014-12-24, 06:25 AM
Well, it isn't as if it's completely trouble-free, but...

"That is good," Myung-hon nods in turn, "I am sure she is well looked after." She isn't even sure if she has the unique perspective on her situation, but nonetheless feels it's good to have positive reinforcement, when you deal with the weight of actions you can never take back.

Outside, the rain, capricious creature as it is, gradually starts to subside. Raging and brutal one moment, and then placid the next.

banthesun
2014-12-24, 07:11 AM
Unsure where to take the conversation next, Kyoko awkwardly nodded along with Myung-hon.

"Oh, the rain looks like it's slowing down! Uh, hopefully it's not just a break..." Kyoko stuck her head out the shop's door to take a look "Oh? It is starting to look a bit better! I should probably be heading to school..." Returning the towel to a grumpy looking shopkeeper (since the pair hadn't even browsed his store) with a thanks, she turned to Myung-hon.

"Uh, it's been really nice meeting you! Good luck getting home! Uh, and I guess I'll be seeing you at school too!"

Merilan
2014-12-24, 12:46 PM
Myung-hon didn't even realise, but nods in turn to encourage Kyoko. "Yes, please do not be late on my account, or the rain's. I will..." the white-haired girl pauses, then bows deeply. so stiff and formal! "I will see you at school when I start."