PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Replacement for XP awards

hymer
2014-12-22, 08:35 AM
My upcoming campaign will be played with set level advancement, no XP, and 5gp/XP for stuff that costs XP. Other XP-loss will be homebrewed away. I'd still like to be able to reward players in some way for good roleplaying, helping out between sessions, clever ideas, etc. My first thought was some sort of point system, where 2 points can be spent to reroll a die, 3 to survive what otherwise would have been fatal (within reason, of course); or something along those lines. Another idea was to give a permanent 1 point increase in hp every time, so it would add up over time. So the two subjects I'm asking you, dear plagrounders, to help me with are:

A: Refining those systems. I don't much like that, say, a first level barbarian gets maybe 1/15 increase to his hp pool, while a wizard would get 1/6. And more things you can use those other points on would be enat.

B: Other things you can award to your players, preferably a system rather than ad-hoc solutions. I also want to avoid awarding in-game items, even though, say, potions of healing according to the character's level could be kinda nice. I don't want to have to explain where these things come from, and I don't want selfless PCs to spend (much of) their rewards on other PCs. They've already been selfless.

All thoughts, experiences, ideas, comments, suggestions, etc. on this are much appreciated.

Rebel7284
2014-12-22, 08:40 AM
My upcoming campaign will be played with set level advancement, no XP, and 5gp/XP for stuff that costs XP. Other XP-loss will be homebrewed away. I'd still like to be able to reward players in some way for good roleplaying, helping out between sessions, clever ideas, etc. My first thought was some sort of point system, where 2 points can be spent to reroll a die, 3 to survive what otherwise would have been fatal (within reason, of course); or something along those lines. Another idea was to give a permanent 1 point increase in hp every time, so it would add up over time. So the two subjects I'm asking you, dear plagrounders, to help me with are:

A: Refining those systems. I don't much like that, say, a first level barbarian gets maybe 1/15 increase to his hp pool, while a wizard would get 1/6. And more things you can use those other points on would be enat.

B: Other things you can award to your players, preferably a system rather than ad-hoc solutions. I also want to avoid awarding in-game items, even though, say, potions of healing according to the character's level could be kinda nice. I don't want to have to explain where these things come from, and I don't want selfless PCs to spend (much of) their rewards on other PCs. They've already been selfless.

All thoughts, experiences, ideas, comments, suggestions, etc. on this are much appreciated.

E6 variant does feats after 6th level. You could use that.

Uncle Pine
2014-12-22, 08:55 AM
Do you use action points? You could give extra action points as a reward for good roleplaying etc.

Psyren
2014-12-22, 09:35 AM
Since you're making XP costs cost GP instead, it sounds like that's what you might need to reward folks with so they can craft or cast spells with XP costs under this new system. If you don't want to beef up the coinage directly, slip a few consumables or oddball items into the players' next haul and see if they do anything creative with them, and every one they use is something they didn't have to go and buy.

Necroticplague
2014-12-22, 11:46 AM
You can reward them with non-transferable wealth equivalents. Instead of getting items, they might get prestige races free of charge, the crafters might get Dark Craft GP (modified to not be evil).

Trasilor
2014-12-22, 01:13 PM

i recall reading about a DM who used such a reward system...

He used poker chips instead of points...players earn chips for creative or innovative solutions / awesome roleplaying.

Worked something like this:
White Chip - Roll two 20 pick the better
Blue Chip (turn in 3 white to earn 1 blue) - Turn any d20 roll into a 'Natural 20' or give another player a white chip
Red Chip (turn in 3 blue to earn 1 red) - Max roll on any die roll. Be it HP, Damage, etc.

For showing up, all players get 1 white chip and all chips are lost at the end of the session - unless mitigating circumstances. This is to encourage players to use the chips frequently.

White chips are given out regularly during the session. The idea is to have something physical at the table for people to see. An extra number on the page may be forgotten..

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-22, 01:20 PM
Give pieces of chocolate to your players for good role playing, etc... Use bigger pieces as rewards for even greater deeds.

Apply the chocolate directly to the players mouths with your fingers to avoid worrying about selfless players sharing.

Boom. Simple solution.

Troacctid
2014-12-22, 04:40 PM
There are other systems that include such incentives. Generally, they're easy to port. Look at Inspiration or Plot Points from 5th edition, for example, or Fate Points from FATE.

dascarletm
2014-12-22, 04:59 PM
Give pieces of chocolate to your players for good role playing, etc... Use bigger pieces as rewards for even greater deeds.

Apply the chocolate directly to the players mouths with your fingers to avoid worrying about selfless players sharing.

Boom. Simple solution.

Remember to stare deeply into their eyes when doing this to make sure they know that they have done a good job.

JDL
2014-12-22, 05:52 PM
The chocolate solution sounds especially evil when applied to the lactose intolerant or vegan.

Chips and/or tokens are a good way to keep the game interesting. Giving a physical representation of an intangible reward is great for grabbing attention. The best part about this sort of system is that you can let your players pick their own reward for trading in a chip.

Here's some ideas for a token trade-in:

Low Power (uncommon)
- Take an extra move action during combat
- Gain advantage on one d20 roll (roll twice, take the better result) [must declare use before rolling]
- Apply disadvantage on one d20 roll by the DM (roll twice, take the worse result) [must declare use before DM rolls]
- Gain an additional roll on a loot table [subject to appropriate CR for encounter]

High Power (rare)
- Take an extra standard action during combat
- Gain temporary hit points equal to your maximum hit points [usable only on your turn in combat]
- Fully restore all lost hit points [usable only on your turn in combat]
- Fully heal from all status conditions [usable only on your turn in combat]
- Twist of fate (you stumble across the clue to solve a mystery, a spark of inspiration gives you insight on how to solve a puzzle, etc.) [subject to DM approval]

Telonius
2014-12-23, 09:46 AM
DMG 2 has some ideas for affiliation scores within a particular organization; you might modify those to give more of an in-game sense of accomplishment and prestige.

kkplx
2014-12-23, 09:57 AM
Do you use action points? You could give extra action points as a reward for good roleplaying etc.

This is what i'd suggest as well - if you don't do so yet, maybe now is the time to introduce them. Use them for punishment as well, with negative AP meaning a -x to all d20 rolls equal to the -AP you have (only applicable in a session where oyu got a negative AP, not every session as long as you have negative AP).

Some Suggestions on AP uses from my own campaign, steal what you like:

Action Points

Extraordinary feats of cunning, roleplaying or sheer luck can be rewarded with AP, which can be used as laid out here. Each player earns ECL/2+1 Action points on levelup (rounded up), as well as 1/2 action points at the end of each session he/she attends.

The maximum amount of AP that a player can have at a time is 5+ECL/2. The maximum that can be spent in one combat is 4, twice per round, and once per turn. If you are ever at negative action points you must subtract that amount from every d20 roll. You may not spend action points if you have negative action points.

Add to a Roll
A character can spend a action point to add to any d20 roll. If used before a roll is made you gain a +6 luck bonus to a d20 roll. If used after a roll is made, but before the results are known, this bonus is reduced to +4. If used after the result of the dice is known this bonus is reduced to +2. You can use an action point to grant this bonus to another character, as long as you are in the same location and your character can reasonably affect the outcome of the roll (such as distracting a monster, shouting words of encouragement, or otherwise aiding another with the check). Action points spent to aid another character grant less bonus (+3 before the roll, +2 after the roll, +1 after the result). Action Points used for attacks and saves only provide half this bonus, rounded down.

Cheat Death
A character can spend 5 action points to cheat death. How this plays out is up to the GM, but generally the character is left alive, with -1 hitpoints and dying.
For example, a character is about to be slain by a critical hit from an arrow. If the character spends 5 action points, the arrow may have pierced the character's holy symbol, reducing the damage enough to prevent him from being killed. The character can also spend 2 action points in this way to prevent the death of a familiar, animal companion, special mount, or pets, but not another character or NPC, provided they’re close enough that they’d be able to conceivably influence the situation (no resurrecting a scouting pet falcon 1 mile above the party, for example).
You are staggered for your next round. This use does not conform to the normal limits of action points per combat.

Extra Action
A character can spend a action point on your turn to gain an additional move or swift action this turn.

Extra Attack
During any round in which a character takes a full attack action, he/she may spend 1 action point to make an extra attack at his highest base attack bonus. Action points may be used in this way with both melee and ranged attacks.

Good Luck
A character can spend a action point to roll 2d20 and keep the highest on a specific d20 roll.

Nimbleness
A character can spend a action point to add to his armor class.
Specific attack: If used before an attack roll is made you gain a +4 dodge bonus to your Armor Class against this attack. If used after an attack roll is made, but before the results are known this bonus is reduced to +2. If used after the result of the dice is known this bonus is reduced to +1.
All attacks this round: If used before an attack roll is made you gain a +2 dodge bonus to your Armor Class against all attacks this round. If used after an attack roll is made this bonus is reduced to +1. This cannot be used after the result of the dice is known.

Overcome Damage Reduction
A character can spend an action point to reduce an enemy’s damage reduction. If used before an attack roll is made and the attack hits the creature’s damage reduction is reduced by 5 points until the end of your next turn.

Reroll
A character can spend an action point to reroll any one d20 roll he/she just made. You must abide by the result of the second roll, even if it is worse.

Reroll HP on level up
A character can spend 3 action points (or half the points he would gain on said level up, rounded up) to reroll hp on level up. You must take the results of the second roll, even if it is worse.

Retrospective Resistance
A character can spend an action point to reroll a failed saving throw that occurred in the last round. Reroll that save at the end of your turn. You cannot use this multiple times on the same save.

Spell Boost
A character can spend 1 action point as a free action to increase the effective caster level of one of his spells by 2. She/he must decide whether or not to spend an action point in this manner before casting the spell.

Spell Recall
You can spend an action point to recall a spell you have already cast or to gain another use of a special ability that is otherwise limited. This should only be used on spells and abilities possessed by your character that recharge on a daily basis.
Spellcasters who prepare spells: The spell can be cast again later with no effect on other prepared spells.
Spontaneous spellcasters: Cast a spell without using one of your daily spell slot.

Stabilize
Any time a character is dying, she/he can spend 1 action point to become stable at his current hit point total.

hymer
2014-12-24, 04:16 AM
Lots of replies, thank you so much, everyone!

@ Rebel7284: I’m afraid extra feats might well be too powerful. At least there should be something more minor to award.

@ Uncle Pine: We don’t at the moment. We use rerolls per session instead. But looking into something with action points is definitely high on my list now.

@ Psyren: I’m afraid that doesn’t help the specific player I want to reward so much as the whole group. There are not likely to be any crafters in the group, either, and XP for spellcasting won’t see use for a very long time, if at all.

@ NecroticPlague: Prestige Races? What are those? As for the crafters, I don’t expect any of those.

@ Trasilor: It’s an interesting system. I may well use something of the sort. The physical items bit is something I’ll definitely use.

@ Troactid: I don’t know FATE, but Inspiration is an interesting mechanic. Plot Points, well… I don’t think that’s for these players. Some of them, sure, but not all of them.

@ JDL: A good list, there. I’ll probably be taking at least something.

@ Telonius: It’s a nifty idea, but I’d prefer the rewards to be more abstract. Why would the Knights of Dindledern become more favourably disposed to a PC because the player wrote the synopsis last time?

@ kkplx: My list of things you can do will probably be a lot shorter, but there should certainly be something worth taking there.

Thanks again everyone! And, of course, anyone else having something to add to the conversation, feel free.

Coidzor
2014-12-24, 08:14 AM
Stuff like being able to increase their base ability scores or gaining bonus skill ranks could be neat, though adjudicating how and when to increase those may be difficult, more so for the ability scores than the skill ranks though.

hymer
2014-12-24, 08:33 AM
Stuff like being able to increase their base ability scores or gaining bonus skill ranks could be neat, though adjudicating how and when to increase those may be difficult, more so for the ability scores than the skill ranks though.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Here's my thinking at the moment for a system of permanent bonuses to the character: I award points for various deeds. To increase a score would cost half the new base score (i.e. without racial or enhancement/inherent modifiers, but including bonuses accrued from level advancement) rounded up, and it can't advance a base score above 18. MAD PCs should have it slightly easier under that system. You can also spend a point to get a extra skill point or hit point. Maybe 3-5 points for an extra reroll per session.
Maybe I'll come up with two systems, and ask my players to decide which sort of bonus they'd like.

lytokk
2014-12-24, 09:13 AM
Even though this isn't my thread, I like this chip system. In my games I've been handing out misc rp rewards at the end of the session, but lately I've been just handing out the same xp to everyone. I've also been keeping xp points low recently as the PCs need to be certain levels before certain places, but can't be above a certain level before they get someplace else, as then two PCs would have to delay PrC entry. I think I may switch to this.

The white chips will let me reward players immediately when I think they do some good RP, blue chips for best player of the session, and red chips have to be traded in for.

Thinking trading in a white chip for crafting a consumable item, blue chip for a minor permenent item (anything up to the mid range of medium wondrous items) and reds for anything above that. Kinda solves the crafting problem I was having since some of the players got the feat for crafting tiles, and I hate deducting xp for things like that.