PDA

View Full Version : New Roguish Archetype: Divine Trickster

Zed's Dead
2014-12-22, 12:43 PM
Concept is agent of Tymora (or another appropriate god(dess)). She isn't the plate-mail and Mace type, IMHO. Instead, her clerics are more like holy agent/provocateurs--working within rival organizations.

Spell progression same as Arcane Trickster, but based on Cleric list rather than Wizard. Uses Wisdom for spellcasting. Limited to divination and transmutation schools-- with few exceptions.

Looking for ideas on Archetype features. Mage Hand/Spell thief doesn't really work with holy flavor.

These are my thoughts so far:
Add two cleric skills of your choice at 3rd level, which are then available for expertise at 6th?
7th would give ability to feign a different alignment (even under magical scrutiny) or masquerade as a holy man of anothe god--, kind of like a skill-based use magic device-ish Deception ability.

Really interested in expert help here.

bloodshed343
2014-12-22, 03:42 PM
Wrong forum :P.

Check out the Unseen Seer over in the homebrew section for ideas. It's a divination based rogue Archetype.

Falcon X
2014-12-22, 05:46 PM
Any chance of doing something like the Divine Prankster from 3rd edition? I'm thinking that was a Cleric Chassis with some kind of bardic domain (Or Bard with Cleric focus. Either way...)

Zed's Dead
2014-12-22, 06:48 PM
Sorry. I stuck it in the wrong thread. I will try to re-post in the correct forum. Thanks for feedback, guys!

Shadow
2014-12-22, 06:54 PM
Easiest solution in my mind is to just have the rogue choose a domain (or create an appropriate one as needed).
Cleric gets domain abilities at 2, 6 & 17 (excluding the 8th level divine strike/potent spellcasting).
Rogue gets subclass abilities at 3, 9 & 17.
Looks fine to me, and really hits the divine agent angle.

edit:
WAIT!
Tymora?.... Better idea!

Wild Mage abilities.
Level 3: Wild Magic Surge and Tides of Chaos.
Level 9: Controlled Chaos
Level 17: Spell Bombardment (needs to be changed to something else, but the other two are freaking PERFECT!)

A Lightfoot Halfling Chaos Trickster of Tymora with the Lucky feat. You are the embodiment of everything that Tymora stands for. Heck, you're such an embodiment of her ideals that tossing a Paladin ability in there at 17th level even kind of makes sense, like maybe Cleansing Touch.
And now I want to play this character, too!
(although I would use enchantment either instead of or in addition to, because div/trans from the cleric list makes for a pretty craptastic spell list)