PDA

View Full Version : A strange question about ring gates [3.5/PF]

Brass Dragon
2014-12-22, 08:56 PM
I'm curious, if you reach your hand through a ring gate to hold hands with someone, let's say, 50 miles away, could you use Teleport to transport both of you to where you are currently standing (moving the person on the other side of the ring gate to where you are)

This isn't so much about it being a good way to move things, just curious of whether you think it's possible and rule abiding.

malonkey1
2014-12-22, 09:17 PM
I'm curious, if you reach your hand through a ring gate to hold hands with someone, let's say, 50 miles away, could you use Teleport to transport both of you to where you are currently standing (moving the person on the other side of the ring gate to where you are)

This isn't so much about it being a good way to move things, just curious of whether you think it's possible and rule abiding.

If we're assuming that the gate itself makes the two points in spacetime adjacent a la Portal, then yes. If we assume it's actually a teleportation effect, and not a warping of spacetime, no. So, depends.

Glimbur
2014-12-22, 10:26 PM
I think so. You can touch them through the Ring Gate, and Teleport lets you teleport people you touch. Maybe if the Ring Gate (and therefore your target) is far enough that it's not within the distance you can Teleport it fails, and otherwise it works.

That leaves unanswered the question of how you are all oriented when you land from the Teleport. I'd put you all adjacent, for simplicity.

Tarvus
2014-12-22, 11:31 PM
I think malonkey and Glimbur have it pretty solid when it comes down to the mechanics.

If we're assuming that the gate itself makes the two points in spacetime adjacent a la Portal, then yes. If we assume it's actually a teleportation effect, and not a warping of spacetime, no. So, depends.

Fluff-wise I'd say that the first of malonkey's options is the one that fits:

It explicitly allows safe partial passage, even of a user's body parts, which would imply that there is not any harmful separation that would cause telefragging when you teleport out of it. I.e. you are still a cohesive unit, even when partway through. (This also strengthens the next point)
It uses the spell "Gate" in its construction, which states it opens an "interdimensional connection", rather than explicitly listing a teleportation effect.
It explicitly allows both attacks and spells cast through it, so why not a touch spell?

Personally, I'd allow it as a DM but be wary of abuse.

Edit: wrt orientation when you come out. I'd assume you'd be in the same orientation you were if you imagine the portal as a hole in a wall. So holding hands for example, side by side would be most common- hope you had that ring gate the right way up though :smalltongue:

P.F.
2014-12-23, 12:27 AM

Obviously if it's not the desired effect it can be avoided, but since teleport moves you and all your equipment, if you're holding one ring gate, and they're holding the other, does it bring the other to where the one is when you teleport?

herrhauptmann
2014-12-23, 08:21 PM
My guess with a difficult DM (or an AD&D style DM)

Player 1 is at point A and player 2 is at point B 80 miles due east.
Player 1 casts teleport to some location at point C, so player 2 gets teleported, but ends up at point D 80 miles due east of C.

With a lenient DM:
Player 1 and Player 2 would end up adjacent to each other, both reaching to/through the ring gate to hold hands.

P.F.
2014-12-24, 03:21 PM
My guess with a difficult DM (or an AD&D style DM)

Player 1 is at point A and player 2 is at point B 80 miles due east.
Player 1 casts teleport to some location at point C, so player 2 gets teleported, but ends up at point D 80 miles due east of C.

With a lenient DM:
Player 1 and Player 2 would end up adjacent to each other, both reaching to/through the ring gate to hold hands.

Teleport teleports you to a designated location, such as "the king's audiance hall" or "this dungeon corridor" or "my bedroom." I don't think you could even do a teleport to "80 miles east of here" unless you also knew the general layout of a village street or forest glade or something that in that location.

If you had the paired gate 800 miles to your west, however, and wanted to travel 800 miles to the east, it seems to me that that would still work, even though the person you are holding hands with would be transported 1600 miles, as long as the caster isn't going over 1100, it should be fine.

Suzuha
2014-12-24, 04:20 PM
Teleport teleports you to a designated location, such as "the king's audiance hall" or "This dungeon corridor" or "my bedroom."

From holding hands to "my bedroom." I like where this is going.

Exegesis
2014-12-24, 07:58 PM
This has to work, or nothing you put through a ring gate would come out intact.