PDA

View Full Version : Silvered Weapons... Useful?

Darksidebro
2014-12-23, 02:11 AM
I've come to a point in my game that I can either upgrade to a silver weapon or save the gold for something else down the line.
For those of you who don't know, Silver Weapons are this "Some creatures that are resistant to non magical weapons are vulnerable to Silvered weapons. It costs 100 gold to Silver a weapon properly or for 10 silvered ammunition"

I've thumbed through the monster manual, but didn't notice any creatures vulnerable to silver. Is it all non-magical damage resistant creatures can get bypassed by silver? Or just the typical Lycanthropes of editions past?

If it's of importantance, The game will soon take us into fighting demons and devils.

To make a long story short: How useful are Silvered Weapons?

Eslin
2014-12-23, 04:48 AM
I've come to a point in my game that I can either upgrade to a silver weapon or save the gold for something else down the line.
For those of you who don't know, Silver Weapons are this "Some creatures that are resistant to non magical weapons are vulnerable to Silvered weapons. It costs 100 gold to Silver a weapon properly or for 10 silvered ammunition"

I've thumbed through the monster manual, but didn't notice any creatures vulnerable to silver. Is it all non-magical damage resistant creatures can get bypassed by silver? Or just the typical Lycanthropes of editions past?

If it's of importantance, The game will soon take us into fighting demons and devils.

To make a long story short: How useful are Silvered Weapons?

Lycanthropes are immune to nonmagical nonsilvered weapons, devils are resistant, that's all. So it depends what kind of DM you have - if he's like many he'll hand you silvered weapons somehow if you need them, if he's like me he won't.

JAL_1138
2014-12-23, 05:51 AM
There's also no reason *not* to coat a weapon in silver in this edition; it doesn't make them do less damage. Depends on what else you want that 100 gold for. There are a lot of types of devil and lycanthrope the DM could throw at you.

...adamantine and cold iron weapons are apparently not available.

Edit: If you know you're going up against devils soon, do it. You don't want to be stuck doing half damage. If you get a magic weapon later, you have the silvered one as a backup.

ghost_warlock
2014-12-23, 06:31 AM
Some undead, such as the wight and wraith, can also be injured with silver weapons if you can't get your hands on a magical weapon.

Celcey
2014-12-23, 08:53 AM
If it's of importance, the game will soon take us into fighting demons and devils.

Just in general, silvered weapons are not that great. But if you're going to be fighting devils, it's 100% necessary if you haven't got magical weapons. Demons you should be fine, unless your DM wants you to fight something particularly powerful, in which case you'd need magical weapons (not silver). I doubt that, though, if you're low enough leveled that you need to worry about the money.

Inevitability
2014-12-23, 09:23 AM
Do you have any magic weapons? How about Druids with that-S-word-nobody-can-spell spell? Paladins of devotion?

Darksidebro
2014-12-23, 10:23 AM
Do you have any magic weapons? How about Druids with that-S-word-nobody-can-spell spell? Paladins of devotion?

The Party consists of a Dwarf Ranger, a Dwarf Monk, and a Human Dex Fighter. That makes me (the ranger) the only source of spell casting. I believe the monk is going Open Hand(?).

As to every one else's posts: Yes I need to decide to spend the 100 gold on Silvered or save for a breastplate. Considering what you all said about devils, I think it's a good investment. My DM only gives out loot by rolling on the tables, so the chances of a magic weapon being in a treasure pile anytime soon are slim.

themaque
2014-12-25, 05:20 AM
In previous editions, a well prepared adventurer by me would try to get a silvered and cold iron short sword as soon as possible. In this edition it's either magic or silvered for the most part.

If you think you will need it, and have the cash, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

One Tin Soldier
2014-12-25, 12:10 PM
Speaking as someone who's character nearly died to a pack of lycanthropes because she couldn't do much to them: yes, silvered weapons are a good idea.
And that was with our DM downgrading their immunity to nonmagical, nonsilvered weapons to mere resistance, whether intentionally or not.

Koury
2014-12-26, 05:39 PM
As listed in my chart (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?387385-Monster-Stat-By-CR-(Now-with-better-damage-resistance-info!)), there are 19 creatures with damage resistance or immunity that is bypassed by silvered weapons. 15 of them are listed under either Lycanthropes or Devils.

The other four are Jackelweres (not under lycanthropes despite basically being one), Wights, Wraiths and Night Hags.

Grayson01
2014-12-26, 11:09 PM
Lycanthropes are immune to nonmagical nonsilvered weapons, devils are resistant, that's all. So it depends what kind of DM you have - if he's like many he'll hand you silvered weapons somehow if you need them, if he's like me he won't.

I do not have the MM yet: Is the Lyacan damage immunity bypassed by a Magic Silvered weapon or is it by passed by ether a Magic weapon or a silvered one?

FadeAssassin
2014-12-26, 11:11 PM
I do not have the MM yet: Is the Lyacan damage immunity bypassed by a Magic Silvered weapon or is it by passed by ether a Magic weapon or a silvered one?

Either. It's Immune to nonmagical sources unless they are made with silver

JFahy
2014-12-27, 12:55 AM
In general I try to pick up a silvered weapon when convenient, and it
generally goes unused - but if you have a legit way of knowing that
devils are coming up, put a rush on it.

If you're in the pre-magic-weapons phase, think of it as "double damage
against all devils except lemures". :smallwink:

(Holy water?)