PDA

View Full Version : Traditional/Classic stories or not?

ufo
2007-03-29, 04:25 PM
I would like to hear what you think is best: Classic/tradition (often overused) plots, or pretty original ones.

Classic/Traditional often put the main character in the center of the world and make him hunted by the evil etc.

Original... can't be explained because they're (gasp) original, like in different from above.

Castaras
2007-03-29, 04:55 PM
I prefer original plots. Because they're new, different, and have unexpected twists. Sure, the "Taking magical artefact to place to destroy" is an ok plot, but there are so many other things you can do with plots to make them more varied and a pleasure to read.

Brickwall
2007-03-29, 08:11 PM
I offer simple words of wisdom: "The subject matter will usually leave less of an impression than how it's presented."

PhoeKun
2007-03-29, 09:19 PM
I offer simple words of wisdom: "The subject matter will usually leave less of an impression than how it's presented."

Nail. Head. *hit*

You can't (or at least shouldn't) judge stories simply based on the way the plot boils down. There are certainly still clever things that can be done with "classic" plots. By the same token, an "original" plot can be sent crashing into the muck by a poor writer.

It's first and foremost about the way the story's written, followed a good distance behind by the general content of the story. And after that you have the plot.