PDA

View Full Version : Random events in a demonic land! (Hex crwl exploration, Flavor mostly)

Kol Korran
2014-12-23, 02:21 PM
Hey there folks! While I DM the Wrath of the Righteous AP in the world of Golarion (Pathfinder system), this specific thread is not system, world, or adventure specific.

My party will soon explore (through a hex crawl), a certain part of the Worldwound. For our purposes, this was a land inhabited by common humanoid races, with various beliefs and cultures (Though the green faith, a druid culture seems prominent). About a 100 years ago a great tear to the abyss has opened and with it many demons, but not just- the very forces of what makes the abyss- the powers of malignant evil, chaos, desolation, despair and such have slowly affected and warped the land, to make it a VERY inhospitable place.

Which the party will now explore! :smallbiggrin:

A major part of hex crawl is that there re random things you find/ happen to you. Unfortunately, the module does have a random encounter table, but one which only have battles encounters. I'd prefer to have the feel that the land itself is hazardous to explore, that the forces of the abyss have changed it to something supernatural in it's own right.

So, my request: What sort of random events will you put in such a random table? I'm looking mostly for inspiration, so there is no need for mechanics (Though feel free if you want to. The party will explore the lands through levels 9-12 approximately. 4 players).

As general examples to what I'm referring, here are some "encounters" the party already met (From a far far far more minor table I made):

The shape of the sky seems wrong- the sun not in the right place, or alien looking stars, or the clouds moving ll wrong. This can: Complicate navigation, show omens of different sorts, change time perception for a few hours.
abyssal elemental storms form nearby, sensing a strong life force and moving towards the party. Unless the party finds GOOD hiding, they suffer quite a bit of elemental damage.
A spell of very dry, intense heat. May cause fatigue, reduce water supply, spoil potions (these get a save)
Bubbling seething mud pits, forming on their own in the nearby vicinity. Characters might fall, or this can complicate navigation. Also, might be home grounds for many dretches.
A small transient rift appears. Might enable teleportation to another section in the map (Through an abyssal terrain). Can also block some of the way, or have a demon come through it.
Howls of lost souls, clawing at the characters. May affect moral, may instill fear, may attack general life force. May prove as a roleplay opportunity with souls of past acquaintances.
Small earthquake- ct fast or fall down a crack. Also complicates navigation possibly.
Necrotic parasites infect supplies and gear. Enable a chance to find them/ avoid them.

As you see, these are quite simplistic and not that imaginative. I'd love to hear what you all can come up with!

Kol Korran
2014-12-23, 02:22 PM
ProbabiltyEncounter's nameFlavor descriptionPossible game affectsContributor
The sky... It's wrong!The skies seem not in place- The sun may be in a different place, move at a strange place, or the moon, the stars... The color can be odd. General affect is of disorientation, disconcertingAffects navigation, increases chances of getting lost. Possibly decrease moral.Kol Korran
Elemental storm. A storm of clashing violent elements manifests close by, possibly fire and ice, lighting and such, or even more exotic powers, such as necrotic and more, come clashing around, seeking life and destruction. Unless the party find refuge or a way to deal with the life seeking storm, they suffer the short but highly violent burst of raw elemental power.Kol Korran
The accidental riftA tear in reality appears, trying to draw people into it, and unto... the other side?Either the rift complicates travel (The pary needs to get around it), Or it might draw the party into it, abd deposit them someplace else on the hex map (Possibly through abyssal terrain first). Also, an outsider can come through it.Kol Korran
Earth quake!As the name implies- an earthquake, with chasms appearing, endangering the party to fall into them.As Earthquake, also it can complicate travel.Kol Korran
The canyon of the world's runes. The party finds some canyon with strange runes making up some of it's walls. Taking time to decipher it can reveal information about many occurrences, on this world, on others, of the future and so on. Possibly encounter a hermit/ scholar of some strange sort. Non combat (Unless they decide to attack the hermit), no complication. Mostly roleplay and foreshadowing/ humorBiotroll
The village of many placesThe party reach a ruined/ abandoned ghost village. As they leave however they find themselves in an entirely different place on the hex map.This could either be random, or a mystery- understandign soem of the story of the village may enable the party to somehow find a way to leave it to a more desired location (Like back where they were?)Biotroll+ Kol Korran+ rs2excelsior
The Great worm!The party see gigantic worm (I think it's supposed to be Dune style?) erupting soem distance away, then moving about, and sinking down below.Thematic scene encounter, unless the party foolishly follow.Yora
Tornado of glassA Tornado of lethal sharp glass shards comes about and passes the path of the party.Avoid or be seriously damaged!Yora
The blackened groveThe party comes upon a once beautiful grove, but now blackened and ruined, with soem tortured and malign fey in it's midst- a cursed tryant or dryad perhaps?This can be combat, roleplay, or even just cinematic of the twisted old tree spirit bemoaning what had befallen it, filled with grief/ sorrow/ hate.Kol Korran
Whispers of temptationSounds decreases gradually, until only whispers of a tempting voice, to each PC, endure. They call upon them, tempting them.Roleplay and possibly a test of will or resolve of some sort.rs2excelsior
Haven't we been here before?A specific landmark (Such as an odd stone, bride, a well) appears again after traveling some distance. It's not that the party returned to the same place, but the landmark itself seems to change places, even sporting changes the party inflicted on it.Mostly there to mess with the party's head. Possibly a mystery.rs2excelsior
Unnatural natureNatural laws don't act as they should- solid ground becomes swamp underneath their feet, clean air turns to caustic mist and back to clean air in the space of a few rounds, rain falls upwards into a clear sky, etc. Possibly more extreme "breaks of nature" are possibleThematic scene encounter. Also might affect moral and/ or resolve, some effects require further adjuciating (?Such as air turning to acid)oudeis
Mutation!"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." Some in the party develop small mutations, up to the DM's decision- Less/ more fingers, an appendage, maybe different kind of skin, small tentacle?How serious this is depends on the DM and the extent of mutation. As well as the possibility to remove it.oudeis
Otherworldly innThe party comes upon an inn for demons, or just survivovrs of the wastes, with quite a few peculiarities... such as the barkeep being soem powerful monster, lots of people talking in fair comfort without battles erupting, and the like.This can be roleplay, socializing, battle, really- like any other bar scene, only weirder!DireSickFish
Chains of eternityThe party meets a chained up devil who asks the party to free it, willing to give the party quite a bit for it. However, the act of opening the chains transfers them unto the opener, chaining it instead. The devil may agree to the bargain or turn on the party, but the party needs to find a way to free their friend none the less.Needs to elaborate mechanisms of opening the chains, either by seeking another victim, or another way.DireSickFish
Stalker in the darkOver several nights, at a certain hour the darkness may becoming mroe dense, more dark, more REAL. and some creature comes then, a strange one (possibly aberration or otherworldly) who seem to try and wear the characters down.Horror mainly, may quickly develop into a fight, or solving a mystery. Probably affects moral/ resolve and such.ImaWallaby
The eerie dirgeA haunting forlorn music appears, and slowly takes it's toll on the party's sanityHorror, possibly mystery- where does the sound comes from? How can it be dealt with? Needs good soundtrack/sImaWallaby
SafehavenThe party falls upon a small desecrated church, but which the demons evade.A small safehaven to rest and recuperate.Slipperychicken
Vermin everywhere!Vermin in the air, on the ground, in the party's bags, through their tunic. Just lots... lots of vermin!Thematic scene encounter, may also affect moral/ resolve, may also induce poison and/ or diseaseEldan
Tiefling raidersA big group of tieflings, either as raiders on lone crusaders, or in a small makeshift village or such. Large group, not a threat individually, but big threat as a group. Most likely combat, but possibly negotiation, info exchange and more.Kol Korran
A suspiciously nice placeThe party finds someplace nice- a hermit offering soup, a fountain of fresh water, a shaded grove or such.Mess up with the characters and see how they react to it all.Eldan

Biotroll
2015-01-13, 04:02 PM
Ok, since nobody posted yet, I guess I'll have to start:

Howling abyss
Adventurers in this area are aware of distant howling. If they decide to search for the source of it, they'll find a seemingly bottomless abyss. The howling comes from the winds (and it's connection to pandemonium) and while it might seem there is nothing interesting here, they might spot some runes deeper in the abyss. If they climb down to take a look, they will notice that the runes are not drawn or carved into the stone but are part of it. With some knowledges/intelligence checks they will be able to decipher the meanings. It could tell stories about big adventures and heroes (hint about your older campaigns and their characters? I know my players loved it when they found some mention of their old characters and their deeds). The runes are more frequent deeper in the abyss and with a bit of luck they could also find some runes about themselves. You could use it to foreshadow something or leave it incomplete as their destiny is not yet sure.
They could also meet someone who lives there, I would vote for a harpy as she could move easily through the abyss with her flight, and who studies the runes. Since the winds from pandemonium cause madness this someone should also be mad and unstable. They could get some more information about the runes/heroes (hidden loot somewhere?) and if they behave nicely they could get some boon too - let's say a rune drawn on their skin that would cast a spell when activated (once only) with the monster hinting that it could come handy if what it saw in the future is true.

Sarkoris defiled holy places/shrines
Nothing much to say there I guess. There could be some twisted guardian creatures or some cultists. They could decide to purify these places to get on the good side of sarkoris barbarians or could be asked to actualy do so.

Lost tower
They could come across a lake of fire and brimstone with a small island in the middle with ruined tower. It could be a tower of long dead mage who dwelled there before the Worldwound opened. He was studying some strange phenomena in the surroundings and link them to realities borders failing and with the abyss trying to break through. Either nobody listened to him or he died/was changed by the powers of abyss before he could warn everyone.

That's all for now. I'll try to come with few more, but I'm running short on time this week so I don't know if I'll be able to contribute in time. Also, have fun. :smalltongue:

Kol Korran
2015-01-14, 04:52 PM
Hey Biotroll! Thanks for your help!

I like the idea of the canyon/ abyss with the strange runes (And the runes about other worlds and adventures could be interesting and a fun addition! Kudos for the idea!) I loved the idea of the insane hermit harpy. This idea has tons of potential, I'll think of what to do with it. The encounters are supposed to random encounters though, so I'd prefer it not to remain a stable feature, but it could be related to the shifting chaotic nature of the worldwound. Perhaps this place travels between worlds?

OH! I just had a great idea- The harpy could be the offspring of a the half giant character (Google) who mated with harpies in a past adventure, this could be hillarious!

I liked the abandoned Sarkoris temples/ settlement. But I had an idea- what if this settlement also changes place, but within the worldwound, if they spend enough time in it (Maybe spend a night?) , so when the party leaves it, they are in a different place (Another hex on the map?)

I will need to think about the tower. I feel it holds potential, but not quite sure how to work it out. I need to think about it.

Good ideas so far, something in your post triggered another idea - an old grove, desecrated, perhaps partly burned, with a cursed twisted treant in the middle, unable to move, forced to see the mockery his "flock" (trees) have become, and to suffer. They could have a conversation with the lamenting depressed treant, who asks them to end it and the others, or somehow save them? Could be atmospheric... Or if not a treant, maybe a dryad? Or better yet, both of them, maybe lovers?

I'm thinking on adding a few humerus encounters as well, such as a fight with the bunny from the Monty Python film (There was a thread about this a bit ago. Not on this computer though) Or maybe with the riddler over the bridge "What.... is your name?" and so on. Not sure, will have to think.

Yora
2015-01-14, 04:58 PM
Make a giant worm come out of the ground a few hundred meters in the distance. And I mean GIANT! A thing way too huge to be possibly real. Then it crawls arround a bit and burries back underground.

And a tornado of shards of glass.

rs2excelsior
2015-01-14, 05:21 PM
So we're looking for a demonic feel to the landscape? Here are a couple of ideas, off the top of my head:

--Sounds gradually seem to become fainter--animal noise, the wind, other party members speaking, etc. Eventually, the characters start to hear a whispering voice. It's indecipherable at first, but gradually grows to drown out all sound, and the voice resolves itself into words that pick at the characters' fears, jealousies, pride, etc. No matter which way they turn, the voice always seems to come from just behind them. Probably some kind of save to avoid temporary insanity, or a minor long-term effect, like shaken.
--A darkness clouds the characters' vision, and they pass out. They wake up several hours later, in a totally different place. This could combine with changing stars and landscape to make it more difficult for them to find their way back. Or, alternately, they could wake up in the same place, but their surroundings look different, because they are continually changing, just too gradually to be noticeable.
--The characters encounter some landmark--say, a rope-supported bridge across a chasm, with rotting planks, and the third step missing. Then, a while later, they run across an identical bridge--down to the missing step--in a different place. Bonus points if the characters mark it in some way and the mark remains, even though the landmark is in a clearly different location.
--The characters encounter a river with unusually clear water, and some silent urge calls them to drink it. You could then roll for possible effects, like healing, temporary ability score increase or decrease, causing the character to glow for a few hours, or speak a new language that no one in the party has heard of, or even more extreme effects, like convincing the character that swimming down to the bottom of the river would be a really, really good idea, or causing complete and total memory loss for the character.

Also, if the area is supposed to be difficult to navigate, I'd recommend not letting your players see the actual map with their locations. Then roll every now and then, and give them a chance to get off-course--they think they're going straight, but actually veer right or left. Of course, the players will need some type of map so that they can realize they've gotten lost.

That's all I have for the moment, hopefully some of it is helpful.

Kol Korran
2015-01-15, 02:41 PM
Make a giant worm come out of the ground a few hundred meters in the distance. And I mean GIANT! A thing way too huge to be possibly real. Then it crawls arround a bit and burries back underground.

And a tornado of shards of glass.

I like both of these ideas. They could be interesting in the scenic affect, but I'm trying to think of how can the party react to that. The worm is of less concern, as it may not directly interact with the party (Unless the barbarin player yells "Charge!"... He sometimes does that... :smalltongue:) But the tornado of glass shards? Hmmm, I will need to think of how they might respond, or just let them improvise. Thanks for the ideas!

So we're looking for a demonic feel to the landscape? Here are a couple of ideas, off the top of my head:
I see you too like to mess with the players' minds. :smallamused: I've done this quite a bit, and like your ideas. Lets see...

--Sounds gradually seem to become fainter--animal noise, the wind, other party members speaking, etc. Eventually, the characters start to hear a whispering voice. It's indecipherable at first, but gradually grows to drown out all sound, and the voice resolves itself into words that pick at the characters' fears, jealousies, pride, etc. No matter which way they turn, the voice always seems to come from just behind them. Probably some kind of save to avoid temporary insanity, or a minor long-term effect, like shaken. This can work quite nicely, but can easily develop into a major event for them. Oh well, I'll leave it to the players to respond, can be fun!

--A darkness clouds the characters' vision, and they pass out. They wake up several hours later, in a totally different place. This could combine with changing stars and landscape to make it more difficult for them to find their way back. Or, alternately, they could wake up in the same place, but their surroundings look different, because they are continually changing, just too gradually to be noticeable. Biotroll's idea gve me an idea I mentioned above to use towns or ruiend settlements, that once you spend time in, you get out in a different place. This is a similar idea. I guess on that we thought alike?

--The characters encounter some landmark--say, a rope-supported bridge across a chasm, with rotting planks, and the third step missing. Then, a while later, they run across an identical bridge--down to the missing step--in a different place. Bonus points if the characters mark it in some way and the mark remains, even though the landmark is in a clearly different location. This is interesting, but other than the oddity, what is behind it, and what sort of player interaction do you expect? If I know my players, their parnoia of my puzzles (Well, partly justified :smallamused:) Will make them exhaust every resource possible t trying to find out how I (or the land) is messing with them. Hmmm... on second thought, could be interesting as well. I just want it to not detract from the main quests and goals TOO much...

--The characters encounter a river with unusually clear water, and some silent urge calls them to drink it. You could then roll for possible effects, like healing, temporary ability score increase or decrease, causing the character to glow for a few hours, or speak a new language that no one in the party has heard of, or even more extreme effects, like convincing the character that swimming down to the bottom of the river would be a really, really good idea, or causing complete and total memory loss for the character. So... some sort of a magical water source? :smallconfused: Is it just random, hold a purpose. I'm trying to get at the feel the encounter is supposd to create. What are you aiming at here exactly?

Also, if the area is supposed to be difficult to navigate, I'd recommend not letting your players see the actual map with their locations. Then roll every now and then, and give them a chance to get off-course--they think they're going straight, but actually veer right or left. Of course, the players will need some type of map so that they can realize they've gotten lost. We're using a hex map, and yeah, the area is tough, and parts of it are slowly changing, so they will have chances of gettign lost. They have the map they draw, and I have mine. We'll see how much they match at the end? :smalltongue:

That's all I have for the moment, hopefully some of it is helpful. It is, thanks!

oudeis
2015-01-15, 04:34 PM
Hmmmm, let's see...

The Overthrow of Natural Law. Remember that the Abyss is Chaotic Evil. Start with the basics- solid ground becomes swamp underneath their feet, clean air turns to caustic mist and back to clean air in the space of a few rounds, rain falls upwards into a clear sky, etc. Then take it to the next level: water becomes solid at the boiling point and a liquid below freezing. Gravity is perpendicular to whatever surface they are standing on. They must learn to breathe through their eyes, smell with their tongue, drink through their skin. Go crazy.
Mutations, Mutations, Mutations.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."So how much worse would it be for those who fight monsters in The Abyss? Remind your players of this by giving them random mutations that grant demonic features and especially powers: horns, wings, poison touch, armored scales, the inuitive comprehension how to compel and/or gate demonic servitors, Unholy Word, etc. Or, even better, they can take on useful aspects of the creatures they slay, if they so wish... These will last for a period to be determined either randomly or by DM choice, and when it ends the players may revert to normal or gain another mutation, depending on how you want to play it (Wis/Cha save, etc). Of course, if they like these features- or worse, use them- maybe they don't dissipate, or maybe they get the sense that these new traits can be made permanent, for a price...
Synaesthesia. The sulfurous light stings their nostrils like burning hair. The pools of fuming vitriol sound like the screams of terrified children. The hot air looks like...
Temptation. This can either be through Demon agents or the corrupted land. There are so many examples and ways to do this that I'm having trouble coming up with the best ones, but I'm sure you can think of a few things to throw at the players.
So Demogorgon and Orcus walk into a bar...Seriously. Just this. The High Lords of the Abyss just stroll into wherever the players are and... ignore them. They grab wine casks and have a sit-down to talk things over. Literally over, as in right over the cowering PCs heads. Another option (actually the original idea for this point, influenced by Yora's giant worm) is an all-out pitched battle between the two Princes and their retinues that the players stumble onto. Come to think of it, pull a Morricone and have the battle be completely inaudible until the camera pans over they crest a hill and it comes into view. Then blast them with the sensory onslaught of a struggle between near-gods. Combine this with synaesthesia and watch the players crumble in their seats. The PCs can make their way around the battle- time consuming due to the (in)conveniently rough/swampy/? terrain, and the longer they are exposed to the Abyss the worse things get- or try to sneak across the battlefield through the toppled trees and gullies rent into the broken earth by the titanic struggle. Wait, did that Chaos Knight just drop an Adamantine Vorpal sword on the field near that wounded Balor?

Hope some of these work for you.

DireSickFish
2015-01-15, 05:14 PM
Otherworldy Inn- There is an Inn owned and operated by a Red Dragon on the outer planes. The patrons are mostly demons with other outsiders visiting. Mostly stealing this idea from Neverwinter Nights: Hoards of the Underdark. The bar brawls here are there .. intense as the githzari and illithids can attest to. It's no clam in the storm though a patron could mention that he likes the way it was rebuilt this week. Simple things cost outrageous prices and the dragon suffers no freeloaders. Still fantastic and helpful things are available if the PC's are crafty about making connections and willing to turn a blind eye to some baby eating.

Chains of eternity- Some creature, possibly a celestial with black wings or a straight up devil is chained to the ground with strange purplish metal. The locks seem "simple enough" and there is demonic runes on them of binding. The bound creature is willing to offer -anything- to be let go. The locks seem like they can be broken with a strength check as well if they don't have a good thief. Let any attempt to open them succeed. Instantly the chains bind whoever broke them out, and they know that only another creature willingly can free you. The captured creature renigs on his deal and tries to fly/teleport away.

rs2excelsior
2015-01-15, 06:06 PM
I see you too like to mess with the players' minds. :smallamused:

Heh, yeah. One time, running a modern fantasy campaign, I had my players (who I knew were Doctor Who fans) run across a statue of an angel with its face in its hands. It was a totally normal statue, mind--but they still ran over it with their SUV, just to be sure.

So... some sort of a magical water source? :smallconfused: Is it just random, hold a purpose. I'm trying to get at the feel the encounter is supposd to create. What are you aiming at here exactly?

Feel free to fluff it however you like. It could be the home of some creature that consumes characters unfortunate enough to get the roll that makes them try and drown themselves. It could have been placed as a protective barrier by some long-gone creature. It could be totally normal water, tainted due to the fact that it's in the Abyss.

I was going off of the idea of temptation, with a price--especially if the first player to try and drink from it gets a bonus. That seems to fit the demonic theme. It was based off of the river Lethe in Greek mythology--thus the possibility of complete and utter memory loss.

Most of the things I posted were more to set the characters--and their players--on edge, rather than be any kind of major challenge in and of themselves. Especially the bridge that follows them.

I like the ideas posted upthread about two demon princes/lords wandering by, without really noticing the PCs, and the battle between Demonic armies.

ImaWallaby
2015-01-15, 07:22 PM
For an hour each day the darkness is absolute. Magical light doesn't function at all and torches, lamps, candles, etc, are muted. The sound of some creature slithering/dragging it's bulk just outside the range of vision can be heard, along with brief glimpses of tentacles and claws, each strange appendage lined with dozens of fanged-mouths..

An eerie dirge plays upon the wind. The tune is seemingly endless if anyone pays attention, never repeating, churning on and on in it's melancholy. As time goes by, the infinite depression of the Abyss can be heard by those perceptive enough. It starts to invade the mind, first manifesting in long lapses of inattention or clumsiness, but continued exposure quickly leads to thoughts of self-mutilation, suicide, or worse..

While starvation is a dangerous enemy to an unprepared adventurer on the Prime, even well-seasoned veterans suffer death at the hostility of the Abyss. The flora is twisted and barren, the water is sulfurous and non-potable, and any living thing reeks of demonic-taint. Creation magic is unreliable then fails outright as an unnatural hunger for fresh meat starts to gnaw at empty bellies..

Slipperychicken
2015-01-15, 09:06 PM
The party stumbles on the long-desecrated ruins of a church. Though hugely decrepit and mostly looted, its fading holy aura still repels most demons from the inner chambers. Inside those chambers are some crude barricades, several skeletons (which are quite dead, and do not rise) in rotted priestly garb, and century-old silverware and other treasures (primarily metal holy symbols, scant jewelry, and a small amount of ancient money). The inner chambers serve as refuge from the otherwise-demonic land, and the party is safe as long as they remain inside.

Tragak
2015-01-17, 03:46 PM
The air you breathe is awake, and it wants to kill you (spontaneously turns into poison)

The water you drink is awake, and it wants to kill you (spontaneously turns into acid)

The medicine you use is awake, and it wants to kill you (spontaneously turns HP/ability recovery into loss)

The ground you walk on is awake, and it wants to kill you (spontaneously warps from one environment to another)

The clothes you wear are awake, and they want to kill you (spontaneously becoming too rigid to move in easily and/or spontaneously jumps from painfully hot to painfully cold)

The buildings you walk in are awake, and they want to kill you (spontaneously erupt into traps and structural failures)

The light you see and the sound you hear are awake, and they want to kill you (spontaneously inflicts curses on anybody not blinded and/or deafened)

The nightmares you dream are awake, and they want to kill you (spontaneously disrupts a full night's rest and inflicts psychic damage)

The time you experience is awake, and it wants to kill you (spontaneously slows you down when your life depends on speed and/or speeds you up when your life depends on caution)

The words that you write and speak are awake, and they want to kill you (spontaneously turns scrolls into Explosive Runes, spontaneously fails spells with verbal components)

The choices you decide on are awake, and they want to kill you (spontaneously re-rolls a die and uses the lower result)

Within hours, you will be attacked by something and will try to fight, flee, or negotiate, and it will not let you. Within days, you will want to escape from this nightmare world, and it will not let you. Within weeks, you will try to kill yourself to end the pain, and it will not let you.

Kol Korran
2015-01-20, 06:48 AM
Sorry for the long time to respond, work and such demanded their share. I'm back now, lets see...

The Overthrow of Natural Law
I like this idea, just not taken to the extreme, They WILL visit the abyss later on (or so the adventure path decrees at least), so I hope to keep some effects till then. But yeah, things acting unexpectedly, mostly the "natural laws" sound cool.

Mutations, Mutations, Mutations. Hmmmm... some random mutations are cool. Some of the NPCs are mongrelfolk, who's story was that their ancestors were warped by the Worldwound, so this fits great. I'd prefer to avoid too complex rules adjudications since we have enough already.

Synaesthesia. The sulfurous light stings their nostrils like burning hair. The pools of fuming vitriol sound like the screams of terrified children. The hot air looks like... While this is cool it is more a feature, less of an encounter.
So Demogorgon and Orcus walk into a bar... There are a lot of dealings with greater demons later on in the campaign, and they don't just wander to the prime material here. But it's a good idea, just doesn't fit this part exactly. Might fit the next module, where they go into the largest city in the Abyss, which is a merchant city, and spend some time there.

Otherworldy Inn This is a cool idea, but as mentioned in the above segment, this fits more the module where they go into the abyss proper. The Worldwound is a desolate battle zone. Bars and inns will be hard to come by, and not fit the theme.

Chains of eternityHmmm... this sounds like it can have interesting potential... interestign potential indeed. I need to think on how to develop it further...

For an hour each day the darkness is absolute. Magical light doesn't function at all and torches, lamps, candles, etc, are muted. The sound of some creature slithering/dragging it's bulk just outside the range of vision can be heard, along with brief glimpses of tentacles and claws, each strange appendage lined with dozens of fanged-mouths.. This sounds with potential, only less the darkness part, with the PCs with quite powerful light spells and so on. But something that stalks the PCs, and is out of sight? Sounds lovely! Hard to pull, since this isn't a horror campaign, and the party will use all kinds of tricks. I need to think of how to develop this.

An eerie dirge plays upon the wind. The tune is seemingly endless if anyone pays attention, never repeating, churning on and on in it's melancholy. As time goes by, the infinite depression of the Abyss can be heard by those perceptive enough. It starts to invade the mind, first manifesting in long lapses of inattention or clumsiness, but continued exposure quickly leads to thoughts of self-mutilation, suicide, or worse.. This sounds cool, but I've used something similar, still, this can go on well, especially if I find the right music track for it! :smallamused: I need to find a way for the characters to wrap it up though, this being mostly a random encounter. But perhaps while investigating a hex, or for a few days... with increasing saving throws or such?

While starvation is a dangerous enemy to an unprepared adventurer on the Prime, even well-seasoned veterans suffer death at the hostility of the Abyss. The flora is twisted and barren, the water is sulfurous and non-potable, and any living thing reeks of demonic-taint. Creation magic is unreliable then fails outright as an unnatural hunger for fresh meat starts to gnaw at empty bellies.. I see this as playing less, as they can carry enough food with them in an outer dimensional storage space, or they could quite quickly simply... teleport. But yeah, for lower level parties this is a major problem.

The party stumbles on the long-desecrated ruins of a church. Though hugely decrepit and mostly looted, its fading holy aura still repels most demons from the inner chambers. Inside those chambers are some crude barricades, several skeletons (which are quite dead, and do not rise) in rotted priestly garb, and century-old silverware and other treasures (primarily metal holy symbols, scant jewelry, and a small amount of ancient money). The inner chambers serve as refuge from the otherwise-demonic land, and the party is safe as long as they remain inside. This is good. A bit of a respite. You are right that they should find some "good" encounters as well. Good thinking!

It wants to kill you & it will not let you.
You must drive some mean games! :smallbiggrin: I get what you're saying, but this is a bit too extreme for me, although some of the ideas I could use, with some added content and reflavoring.
---------------------------------------------------

Thanks all, I will get to putting a table i nthe next few days, thanks for the ideas!

Eldan
2015-01-20, 07:15 AM
Vermin everywhere. Mosquitoes when you sleep. In the morning, your shoes have filled with worms. Your food crawls with weevils and maggots, no matter what you do with it. The ground occasionally crunches as you walk.

Also, after a week or so of this: the suspicously nice place. This can be anything. Perhaps it's a clear pool of refreshing water, shaded by trees. Perhaps it's a small village of helpful, peaceful farmers. Perhaps it's a hermit waiting at a burning fire at night, with hot soup. Never do anything evil with it, just watch your players fall over themselves with paranoia.

Kol Korran
2015-01-21, 08:31 AM
Thanks everyone, I put a table on the second post, with the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming! :smallbiggrin: (Eldan, your suggestions were included)

Eldan
2015-01-21, 08:46 AM
The Long Dark Nights just seem to last longer in this place. Perhaps twice as long? Strangely, days are just as long as before, so one may encounter 12 hours of light, followed by 24 hours of darkness.

Did the Sun just blink? For a few seconds, one or several party members have the intense feeling that the sun is a giant eye staring at them, observation seems to confirm that. Then a shadow passes over the sun and the feeling is gone.

The Walking Tower A tower stalking across the landscape on a dozen crablike legs. There's many ways to play this one. Either the party rests and finds the tower next to them, or they see it walking by and try to chase it and get in, or they find a tower and make camp inside, only to way up when its in a different place.

The Rivers of the Underworld A river has cut a deep gorge through the land. But it is not a river of water: it is filled with a black, oily-shimmering liquid, and something like snakes is slithering below the surface.

The Stalker a tree is following the party. There's a chain of hills, and every time they get to a crest and look back, there is the tree on the last crest behind them. Every time they rest, it gets a little closer.

Okay, one last one.

The Translucent Wastes A thin layer of sand is swept away and the floor below is... clear glass. Even with little light, one can see dozens of feet into it and something is lurking below.

Yora
2015-01-21, 08:58 AM
This really sounds like a case for Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Except that the PCs don't all die and cause the end of all life in the universe at the end of each adventure.

Kol Korran
2015-01-22, 01:55 PM
This really sounds like a case for Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Except that the PCs don't all die and cause the end of all life in the universe at the end of each adventure.
I am unfamiliar with this... What is it about?