PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Are reactions cumulative/stackable?

dukeofwolfsgate
2014-12-23, 02:27 PM
So I'm trying to build a "Tank" character to help my party of glass canons, and I have a question about Reactions. I'm going to be a sword-and-board, half-orc fighter, and I'm just not sure about how to best tank for my party.

If I choose the Protection Fighting Style for my Fighter, can I stack its Reaction that imposes disadvantage on enemy attackers with the Reaction from the Sentinel feet that allows me to make an attack against the same attacker?:smallconfused:

Both Reactions target an enemy who makes an attack on a target other than me within 5 ft, but one implies the use of a shield, while the other implies the use of a weapon.

Do you think my DM will allow that? If not, which of these two should I go for with my new character?:smallbiggrin:

For those interested, the party of (mostly) glass-canons are as follows.:smallamused:
Dragonborn (Black) Warlock (Star)
Tiefling Druid (Moon)
Dwarf (Mountain) Sorcerer (Dragon)
Human Rogue (Assassin)

Talderas
2014-12-23, 02:58 PM
If I choose the Protection Fighting Style for my Fighter, can I stack its Reaction that imposes disadvantage on enemy attackers with the Reaction from the Sentinel feet that allows me to make an attack against the same attacker?:smallconfused:

Both Reactions target an enemy who makes an attack on a target other than me within 5 ft, but one implies the use of a shield, while the other implies the use of a weapon.

No. Each option to use a reaction requires a reaction to use. You only get one reaction each turn.

Justin Sane
2014-12-23, 03:22 PM
Alternatively, check if your DM is using the Mark rules, found in the DMG. That might help.
Short version, you don't use up your reaction to make Attacks of Opportunity (which Sentinel provides) against Marked Targets. Using the last bullet from Sentinel and the Protection Fighting Style at once is still a no-no, however.

Vogonjeltz
2014-12-23, 04:40 PM
No, the character gets one reaction. Ask your DM about the Marking option for melee, it's located in the DMG on page 271.

The Fighting Style isn't an attack, it just imposes disadvantage. Unless you plan on staying next to another allied character, sentinel is the more powerful option. And even then, it's probably better.