PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Character indecision for a very low magic campaign [3.P allowed]

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-23, 07:02 PM
Greetings,

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should play for a campaign. I don't have a lot of details yet, but I know it'll be set in a campaign world where magic is rare (this doesn't preclude us from playing spellcasters) and magical items are even rarer. It will go up to level ~15.
I'm going to try keep mostly to PF for this one as 3.5 is open on a bit of a case by case basis and I'd rather not pester the DM over the holiday season :smalltongue:

At the moment I'm just after ideas that don't need magical items or a lot of wealth to be effective.

Ssalarn
2014-12-23, 07:15 PM
Any class that provides their own buffs - Alchemist, Bard, Bloodrager, Hunter, Inquisitor, Investigator, Magus, Paladin, Ranger, Skald, and Warpriest should all be decent options.

Sorcerers, Witches, and divine 9 level casters are obviously solid choices, though the Wizard may not be the best choice since a lot of his power is determined by his ability to enhance his spellbook with spells drawn from scrolls and other caster's spellbooks.

I'd avoid Fighters, Rogues, Cavaliers, Gunslingers, Slayers, Brawlers, and anyone else who lacks their own spellcasting or is really reliant on specific pieces of magical gear. This would also include most Monks, though one or two archetypes, like the Sensei, could still work.

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-23, 08:18 PM
What about an Oradin?
I'm intrigued by the possible RP opportunities that can be played out with the mechanics of the build, but can it work while there's already a dedicated healer in the party? (I know, I know... no need for the four pillars. Row row fight the power!)

facelessminion
2014-12-23, 10:13 PM
What about an Oradin?
I'm intrigued by the possible RP opportunities that can be played out with the mechanics of the build, but can it work while there's already a dedicated healer in the party? (I know, I know... no need for the four pillars. Row row fight the power!)

If there's already a dedicated healer in the party, then the Oradin becomes less support and more murder, and is just overall wonderful to play.

If all else fails, I'd perhaps recommend an Arcanist - a nice mix of Wiz and Sorc, and if you decide your GM isn't giving you enough magical loot you can just start spam-crafting for the party.

torrasque666
2014-12-23, 11:44 PM
Row row fight the power!)
Maybe instead of going for the easy route you should instead do the impossible and break the unbreakable. Dunno how, but you should

You g
You get my kudos for knowing that song.

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-24, 12:15 AM
If there's already a dedicated healer in the party, then the Oradin becomes less support and more murder, and is just overall wonderful to play.

If all else fails, I'd perhaps recommend an Arcanist - a nice mix of Wiz and Sorc, and if you decide your GM isn't giving you enough magical loot you can just start spam-crafting for the party.

I see Arcanists' recommended for crafting duty all the time. Is this because they can change one magical ability for another?
I can't see anything else that makes them crafters extraordinaire.
Nevermind. Missed the item creation feat exploit.

Maybe instead of going for the easy route you should instead do the impossible and break the unbreakable. Dunno how, but you should[/COLOR]

I saw the invisible and touched the untouchable. Does that help?

Angelalex242
2014-12-24, 10:29 AM
If all else fails, be a druid.

If you feel like being really really holy, Vow of Poverty. The lower the magic in the game, the better Vow of Poverty becomes.