PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Flurry of Energy Drain

Angelalex242
2014-12-23, 07:17 PM
Typically, this isn't allowed.

But if there were a custom feat that allowed Vampire Monks to do this, what should it be called?

And how many feats should it take (improved, etc.) to make it fully work?

Snowbluff
2014-12-23, 07:20 PM
Souleater, like the 3.0 class. In 3.0, energy drain affected all of your natural attacks by default, IIRC. So the souleater class gave a lot of energy drain. :smallsmile:

I'd put it 3 feats in. Not bad feats, though. Feats that make sense but aren't too good. Improved Unarmed would be included, so your monks would be able to get it more easily by default.

Psyren
2014-12-23, 07:22 PM
Feral Combat Training (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/feral-combat-training-combat) will let your vampire monk flurry with their slam attack, and every hit will trigger the energy drain - is that what you were looking for?

Ssalarn
You can do this in PF with the Feral Combat Training feat. So, that's Weapon Focus (Slam) and Feral Combat Training.

**EDIT**

I see Psyren beat me to it.

Snowbluff
Feral Combat Training (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/feral-combat-training-combat) will let your vampire monk flurry with their slam attack, and every hit will trigger the energy drain - is that what you were looking for?

Dayum.

Now if only we had LA in PF so I could appropriately adjust for a Vampire Slamdolon.

Erik Vale
2014-12-23, 07:57 PM
Dayum.

Now if only we had LA in PF so I could appropriately adjust for a Vampire Slamdolon.

Given Pathfinders rules, HD+LA [Never shown]=CR. This gives many monsters negative LA, such as bruisers... And then there is inherent buy off, but only to half, though it occurs every 2.5 levels instead of based on a table.

Also, you need to add one CR if you wish to have PC WBL instead of NPC/Monster Treasure, though no one remembers that.

Snowbluff
2014-12-23, 08:51 PM
Given Pathfinders rules, HD+LA [Never shown]=CR. This gives many monsters negative LA, such as bruisers... And then there is inherent buy off, but only to half, though it occurs every 2.5 levels instead of based on a table.

Also, you need to add one CR if you wish to have PC WBL instead of NPC/Monster Treasure, though no one remembers that.
Neat. May I have the source for these rules?

EDIT: Vampire will not work. It's energy drain may only trigger 1/round.

grarrrg
2014-12-23, 09:08 PM
Neat. May I have the source for these rules?

I think he's sort of trying to rationalize the "Monsters as PC" rules with 3.5 terms, and winding up with a big pile of nonsense myself.

The Monster as PC rules state that you start with CR = Character level. So a CR 4 monster would 'fit in' with a party of level 4 characters. You add PC levels on top of your base stats as you level.
Every 3 levels you are entitled to a 'bonus level' [insert "CR scales poorly" explanation here]. You gain a number of 'bonus levels' equal to half of your CR.
So if your level 4 party gains 3 levels, you would gain 4. They would be level 7, you would be CR4+4levels.
If you party gains another 3 levels, you would again gain 4. They would be level 10, you would be CR4+8.
At this point your 'bonus levels' equal half of your CR, so you would level at the same rate as the rest of the party from here on out.

To put this in 3.5 terms:
Take a Monster you want to play as (get it approved by DM).
1/2 of the CR (round down) is Level Adjustment. The remaining CR is (more-or-less) considered RHD.
Level adjustment is bought off every ~3 levels.

Snowbluff
2014-12-23, 09:21 PM
Alright, I found it. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races) I just needed a source. :P

Angelalex242
2014-12-23, 11:28 PM
Is there a feat that allows multiple energy drains in one round?

Psyren
2014-12-23, 11:45 PM
Is there a feat that allows multiple energy drains in one round?

Every time your slam hits you get a free energy drain. If you have some way to slam multiple times per round (such as flurrying with it - see above) you will get free energy drain each time.

Snowbluff
2014-12-24, 12:51 AM
Every time your slam hits you get a free energy drain. If you have some way to slam multiple times per round (such as flurrying with it - see above) you will get free energy drain each time.

It won't work for vampire. You'll need a different drainer. Like a wight.

Psyren
2014-12-24, 12:53 AM
It won't work for vampire. You'll need a different drainer. Like a wight.

Ah, missed that line. Still, you do get two per round.

Snowbluff
2014-12-24, 01:15 AM
Ah, missed that line. Still, you do get two per round.

Yeah, it'd be my go to for this anyway, because the other abilities are pretty sweet. Of course, that sunlight weakness REALLY sucks.

Angelalex242
2014-12-24, 02:48 AM
Well, the point is flurry of energy drains.

If there was a feat that allowed a vampire to deliver as many energy drains as he had attacks....

ICN
2014-12-24, 04:48 AM
If you're not set on the vampire monk and the game is pretty high level, you could go Sacred Fist Warpriest (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/warpriest/archetypes/paizo---warpriest-archetypes/sacred-fist)+Void Scythe (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/void-scythe)+Crusader's Flurry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/crusader-s-flurry) and choose a deity with a scythe as a favored weapon.

A lot of ifs, but it can get you a flurry of energy drains.

Angelalex242
2014-12-24, 10:24 AM
Actually, it's a level 1 born vampire.

The character will become a level 5 born vampire (using Pathfinder's savage species)...

And then I pick a class. Wisdom is the highest stat of the character, so I COULD just use Druid or Cleric.

At level 5, stats will be 18/18/-/14/20/18

A block like that looks good for a monk though.

This character will get 5 'undead hitdice' first though.

Sayt
2014-12-24, 10:30 AM
Actually, it's a level 1 born vampire.

The character will become a level 5 born vampire (using Pathfinder's savage species)...

And then I pick a class. Wisdom is the highest stat of the character, so I COULD just use Druid or Cleric.

At level 5, stats will be 18/18/-/14/20/18

A block like that looks good for a monk though.

This character will get 5 'undead hitdice' first though.

Uh, Pathfinder doesn't have savage species, as far as I'm aware?

Also, please note this part of the Vampire template:

"Vampire” is an acquired template that can be added to any living creature with 5 or more Hit Dice

You can't be a born human vampire, because humans HD are defined by their class, and humans aren't born with 5 levels.

Angelalex242
2014-12-24, 10:43 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6rJbTyPSm6CUWpsV0FrYlhKWlU/edit

This is the Pathfinder Savage Species.

Sayt
2014-12-24, 11:15 AM
Oh, I see, I assumed you were talking about first party material.

Angelalex242
2014-12-24, 03:01 PM
Regardless, it'll be 5 levels before I actually have to choose a class, and I don't HAVE to choose monk. I just thought it appropriate.

Snowbluff
2014-12-24, 04:38 PM
How about not being a vampire? It sounds like it would be an easier fix to me.

Angelalex242
2014-12-24, 05:43 PM
Campaign already started, sadly. Gotta make the best of it now.